Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"We'll NEVER stop trying to control women's bodies" vows the GOP

A Pennsylvania bill would require death certificates for fertilized eggs that never implant in the uterus. Yes, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2019 11:01 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2019 5:29 PM

Republican men should have to account for every ejaculation. After all, they've denied women their right to motherhood. The bastards should pay! PAY!

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2019 5:31 PM

Grandstanding for the lunatic pro life base. You’ll never see them submitting a bill that requires a funeral service for a man’s spooge every time he spills his seed.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2019 5:32 PM

Is anyone here a lawyer because I have a question.

It is legal for them to even make a statement like that?

Basically saying they feel the law should be in charge of women's bodies and preside over what women do with their bodies. There is no law against that? Not like some kind of "slavery" or "servitude"?

Sorry if this is ignorant questioning but one wonders. . .

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2019 5:34 PM

I never know when my cartons of eggs truly expire and when they’ve become dangerous to eat. They should come with death certificate notices too.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2019 5:34 PM

How is this relevant to anyone on DataLounge?

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2019 5:36 PM

I don't know about you r6 but I am all right with being reminded just how far these assholes are willing to go in their fight to oppress women. Keep your eye on this kind of thing lets you know how far they will go with us.

But then maybe they are hoping there are enough assholes like you who don't give a shit about anybody else. So long as their sights aren't on YOUR rights you couldn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2019 5:39 PM

I know that when I make breakfast, I'm eating "eggs". I'm not eating "chickens". Most of us learned the essential difference between an unfertilized egg and something living around 3rd or 4th grade. Okay, in the South it was put off until 5th grade when all the girls had to go to a "special class". They came back giggling and blushing.

Boys got a class on "ASK YOUR FATHER". Still, we knew what we were eating was "egg". It wasn't could result from fertilization. Why do republicans have such a hard time with basic science? They sure love what science products for them: the internet, computers, mobile phones, cars, their faces on jumbotrons, the ability to shill money from people worldwide.

But the basic elements like "what is an egg?" still mystifies them.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2019 5:40 PM

Shouldn't you understand the basics of how the female reproductive system actually works before you go writing legislation about it?

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2019 5:45 PM

[quote]Shouldn't you understand the basics of how the female reproductive system actually works before you go writing legislation about it?

They don't even know how birth control works. Recall Limbaugh attacking that college student who was fighting for insurance to pay for bc? That fat load thinks you pop a bc and then have sex. That women take bc every day because they're just fucking like crazy every day.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2019 5:50 PM

[quote]How is this relevant to anyone on DataLounge?

Because I think gay people -and don't quote me on this, I'm just guessing- come in female form, too.

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2019 5:54 PM

But, we'll still vote for them.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2019 5:57 PM

Hm. And what about all the frozen embryos in fertility clinics?

If this is about “life begins at conception”, then what? Order them implanted? Or death certificates and funerals? But then would that be murder?

Or, do they not count as Rep Chambliss once stated since they aren’t inside of a woman?

I think the answer to that would be very telling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2019 6:23 PM

This doesn’t oppress women. White women will gleefully vote for them come the next election.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2019 6:41 PM

It's like they didn't have 10th-grade biology.

The brain trust that is the Ohio Republicans has a bill requiring doctors to "fix" ectopic pregnancies or be charged with murder.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2019 1:05 AM

Can someone explain to me how girl parts work?

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2019 2:08 AM

R6, you truly don’t get the relevance of this for gay men? You don’t find it troubling, personally troubling, that some legislators want to use the force of law to control citizens’ bodies and dictate to citizens that unwanted pregnancies must be carried to term? It doesn’t disturb you, as a gay man, that some in the government see fit to control the sex lives of private citizens? You don’t see the significance of any of this to folks on Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2019 2:19 AM

I don't understand these super punitive bills. Why not take the opposite approach? Encourage women who don't need their fertilized eggs to offer them to those who can't produce their own? It's been done before.

A South Korean minister was upset at the number of single woman committing infanticide as single mothers are taboo in his country. Therefore he created the "baby box" where anyone can anonymously donate their newborns. They're immediately collected, bathed, cared for, adopted out. A counselor also immediately offers to assist the often teenage mothers emotionally and financially with 30% then agreeing they want to keep their babies. No legislation needed and abortions reduced.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2019 2:27 AM

I care very deeply about this issue, but the people who it directly impacts don't care enough about themselves to see this issue for what it is. And they vote for Republicans. At what point do I say, "Well, if that's what they want, there's nothing I can do about it. I give up."?

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2019 2:43 AM

You probably must be a lonely incel who has no female friends or relatives. And this is not about eggs and wombs, it's also about individuals' right to do with ones' own bodies: basic human right.

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2019 2:44 AM

R12, WHITE women. No other women. Only them. If it were up to them, Roy Moore would be in the Senate now.

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2019 2:16 PM

I took it as more about stem cells and growing body parts. They want the eggs accounted for, not just floating around where anybody can use them for whatever they want. Or sell them like Planned Parenthood likes to.

Funeral homes caught stealing body parts.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

CRISPR baby and the ethics of that.

Organ harvest, etc, etc.

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2019 2:27 PM

[quote]I took it as more about stem cells and growing body parts.

You take it wrong. The GOP is crystal clear in how they feel they should control every aspect of a woman's body right down to birth control.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2019 2:30 PM

You would be wrong R22. It's about controlling women's sexuality and bodies.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2019 2:31 PM

Ohio state legislature: "Hold my beer"

Ohio bill orders doctors to ‘reimplant ectopic pregnancy’ or face 'abortion murder' charges

Ohio introduces one of the most extreme bills to date for a procedure that does not exist in medical science

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2019 2:34 PM

^I'm surprised at the woman on the left. She doesn't look like she would go along with something like that. The woman on the right is exactly who I imagine to be on board. Penciled-on eyebrows and everything.

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2019 2:46 PM

[quote] "Well, if that's what they want, there's nothing I can do about it. I give up."?

As a Black person this attitude is frightening.

I have no doubt this phrase (attitude or one similar) has been used about the Black community. That's one reason I care.

I guess it all depends on where you are on the scale of privilege.

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2019 2:46 PM

Oh god why men hate women so much? Why?

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2019 2:49 PM

Please F&F the troll @R28 who wrote racist shit in the Russell Crowe thread.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2019 2:53 PM

Because if they can come for 51% of the population, they can damn sure come for 10%. Homophobia and misogyny are inextricably linked, no matter what DL's little cadre of delusional MRAs thinks.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2019 3:00 PM

Get a fucking clue, r22. Most fertilized eggs aren’t floating around anywhere but inside a woman’s body and if they don’t implant, she’ll likely never even know that they existed; they just get expelled with the next menstrual period. Requiring a death certificate is not only ridiculous but basically impossible to enforce.

Furthermore, Planned Parenthood does not sell fertilized eggs. And extracting an egg or an embryo to freeze for later use or implant in another woman is a fairly complicated medical procedure that’s going to be well-documented and not just go unaccounted for, as though the woman could just do it herself in her living room.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2019 3:21 PM

R22 listens to anti-abortion propaganda R31. They've been trying to sell the "PP sells fertilized eggs" bullshit for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2019 3:25 PM

Do they ever explain why -if they love babies so much- they take every damned safety net away when they're born? I mean I know we always say that, but why are they never directly asked about it? What do they expect people to do if they can't afford to care for a fetus they know is unhealthy and forced to bring to full-term?

My mother brought my sister into the world *knowing* she was sick which inevitably meant medical expenses and the pain of losing her. I thank god it happened in the early 80s when the govt could help us because we would've lost our home if we had to pay for all of her medical needs. It's an horrific thing to go through and these "God fearin'[sic]" Republicans are just horrible, horrible people thinking it's all about women just having sex and getting abortions for fun.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2019 3:45 PM

White women actually voted for Roy Moore at a higher rate than white men.

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2019 3:47 PM

If there's a black market for eggs I need to get on that, R22 - I've been throwing money in the trash every month for years.

And Henrietta Lacks is a poor example to support the perspective of government getting involved to "account" for human biological materials: her DNA is quite literally "floating around" in outer space as we speak. John's Hopkins, and then other gov agencies incl NIH & CDC sure didn't seem to mind spreading it all over the place, to private companies, and other institutions. They aided in concealing this, and then government itself stepped in to prevent her (generationally impoverished) family from collecting a cent or even being asked to consent.

This bill ain't for my protection, dear.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2019 3:51 PM

R6, you’re a moron.

by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2019 3:52 PM

R6 This is relevant because if Congress is successful in eliminating established Constitutional rights for women, then they can proceed with doing the same to every other group the party in power doesn't like.

The Constitution is under assault right now. African American voting rights, Same Sex Equality, Women's rights and of course the 4th Amendment rights of Immigrants. All of these are undergoing the worst set of attacks since Dred Scott was overturned. This is the creation of a new system of Jim Crow laws.

So it affects you directly.

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2019 10:01 PM

White women in Alabama voted for Moore because Alabama is full of evangelical nutbags.

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2019 12:51 AM

How long until we get arrested for spewing our vital seed like lawn sprinklers? Hold me!

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2019 2:27 AM

I wonder how many of their dear leader's whore have had abortions.

Anytime something is brought up about abortions or women's rights and the Republican party, I like to point everyone in the direction of Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee. Staunch anti-abortion, sanctity of marriage tool who forced his ex-wife to have TWO abortions. Then when he found out one of his patients(also a doctor) he was having an affair with was pregnant, made her get an abortion, too.

But God forgave him, so all is well.

Article is from 2014.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2019 2:45 AM

r40, in PA we had Tim Murphy, a "family values" conservative who pressured his mistress to get an abortion

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2019 2:56 AM

R35, There’s a WHITE market for eggs. It’s called egg donation.

But you’re right, there’s no chance anybody would exploit that for the thousands of dollars it brings in.

by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2019 2:58 AM

[quote]in PA we had Tim Murphy, a "family values" conservative who pressured his mistress to get an abortion

It's unfuckingbelievable how many of these hypocritical conservative assholes are in elected office. There was another guy with several mistresses, in LA, I think (Dejaris? Something like that) and that chinless asshole who was an advisor on the Trump team who was on TV all of the time and knocked up another asshole on Trump's team who was on TV all of the time. He tried to get her to abort but she refused. So at least she was only a hypocrite in that she was having an affair with a married guy as she went on TV to tell us about "family values" and how Trump would restore the dignity of the WH.

by Anonymousreply 43December 3, 2019 3:22 AM

Republicans Rabid race to control women's Reproduction: See America's shocking but continuing plunging birth-rate of the past 4-10 years.

by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2019 3:41 AM

Since there’s no way to know if a woman expelled a fertilized egg, are they saying all married women must have a funeral and a death certificate every month they’re not pregnant until they turn fifty?

Do these guys belong to the funeral home lobby?

by Anonymousreply 45December 3, 2019 4:09 AM

Wait a second. Does that mean a woman needs to get a death certificate if she has a miscarriage? Many woman's 1st pregnancy naturally doesn't go to full term. Know of several cases personally, and no the women didn't ever consume alcohol, use drugs, or smoke, or do anything remotely to cause the spontaneous, natural "abortion."

They also didn't need any extra expense or emotional stress to actually get a death certificate.

by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2019 4:29 AM

`[quote] [R35], There’s a WHITE market for eggs. It’s called egg donation.

What on earth do you imagine that has to do with this bill?

by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2019 11:52 PM

R46, about 20% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. Between that and fertilized eggs just randomly not adhering in the uterus, probably pretty much 100% of sexually active women not on birth control, and some that are, fit in this category.

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2019 12:06 AM

[quote[It's about controlling women's sexuality and bodies.

It'd be fair to shorten that to "it's about control," because this isn't the only thing Republicans want to put under their authoritarian thumbs. Republicans are the party of invasive, Big Brother government.

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2019 12:16 AM

Many times fertilized eggs don’t implant and they are expelled in menstrual flow.

So, monthly death certificates for all sexually active women?

Miscarriages? (Nearly a quarterof pregnancies end in the first 12 weeks.)

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2019 12:32 AM

R26, I guarantee that the woman on the right is a basic dumb-was Evangelical. The woman on the left must be a very conservative devout, plain Jane Catholic. The Catholics who are actually liberal look normal; the really conservative ones look dignified and intellectual, but they couldn’t be further from it.

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2019 12:34 AM

The extreme right (i.e. the Republican mainstream) has to commit to bizarre, draconian bills like the ones in PA and OH to justify their ideology. If they admit that losing a fertilized egg or an ectopic embryo isn't murder, they wreck their whole extremist argument.

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2019 12:38 AM

[quote]I took it as more about stem cells and growing body parts.

What about them? Stem cell research is -the- cutting edge frontier in medicine right now, from developing cures from cancer to MS to ALS to all kinds of ailments that cause huge suffering. What's your problem with it?

"Growing body parts" is also a new exciting area of medicine. We may be able to re-grow tissue, so as to help people who need new limbs, hearts, livers or other rare organs. We are getting close to being able to re-generate damaged nerve cells, allowing previously handicapped people to move and walk again. Tell me again why this is a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2019 12:51 AM

Ethics, my dear r53. I’m all for the advancement of medicine, but it has to be ethically sourced. This is why human cloning is not allowed, among a myriad of other things unscrupulous scientists would like to accomplish in the name of progress.

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2019 1:34 AM

And so this is why you think this new legislation in PA is just fine r54. to 'account' for eggs 'floating around' because: ethics? and the modern, cutting edge and sane way to do this is: legislate death certificates for fertilized eggs that are shed. OK sure.

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2019 1:57 AM

Clearly, the bill is ridiculous. But I do think someone should be accounting for embryos in banks, and the like. I feel like there’s exploitation somewhere in the works, hopefully imagined.

by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2019 2:30 AM

R54, Everything you described appears to be already occurring or on the cusp of happening in China.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2019 2:38 AM

I swear some of the posters in this anti-science thread must be in China. Stem cell research in this country (US) is already heavily regulated, by HHS, OHRP and the FDA. Local IRB (review boards) would never allow for research whereby the sources and origins of any stem/germ cell or otherwise derived agent/product wasn't clearly spelled out.

Besides, stem cells are basically obtained from bone marrow, blood and adipose in adults. They can also be taken from umbilical cord blood (after birth). They don't come from after-shed fertilized zygotes. ffs.

r56 most donated embryos 'in banks' here are either being used in research (again, see regulations above) or otherwise legally owned by someone with enforceable contracting in place that determines their use and disposal.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote] Clearly, the bill is ridiculous. But I do think someone should be accounting for embryos in banks, and the like.

They are accounted for, for fuck's sake.

[quote] I feel like there’s exploitation somewhere in the works,

Who cares how you feel? Do you some research and find out what the actual facts are.

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2019 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!