Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pete Buttigieg says being gay helps him relate to the black struggle. Some reject that notion.

Mayor Pete Buttigieg has delivered a provocative response in recent days to those who challenge his empathy with black Americans: His experience as a gay man helps him relate to the struggles of African Americans.

That has angered some African Americans, who view it as an attempt by a privileged white man to claim a type of victimhood that is distinct from the black experience in America, even while others take the comments more favorably.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 29, 2019 3:14 AM

Oliver Davis, a black council member in South Bend, Ind., where Buttigieg is mayor, said that African Americans, unlike gay people, don’t have the option of “coming out” at their chosen moment — as did Buttigieg, who disclosed his sexual orientation after he had been elected mayor.

“When you see me, you would know that I’m African American from day one,” said Davis, who has endorsed former vice president Joe Biden. “When someone is gay or a lesbian, unless they tell or they are seen in certain situations, then no one is going to know that. They are able to build their résumés and build their career.”

LGBT activists see something different in Buttigieg — a barrier-breaker from a group that has long faced bigotry and violence, a face of the latest struggle for inclusion. And while some successfully conceal their difference, say leaders of the movement for gay equality, that decision can come with its own steep costs.

Evan Wolfson, founder of Freedom to Marry, which helped lead the fight for same-sex marriage, said Buttigieg’s message is not “an attempt to appropriate someone else’s experience.” Rather, he said, the mayor is saying that “because he, too, has had to deal with his own struggles, that has made him more aware of the need to connect with the struggles of others.”

Thim.”

by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2019 12:44 PM

hat question — how to square Buttigieg’s privileges with the adversity that comes with anti-gay prejudice — is becoming sharper as the 37-year-old Afghan war veteran rises in the polls and scrambles for ways to connect with black voters. And it renews the issue of how Americans, of any background, will respond to the candidacy of an openly gay man, one who holds hands with his husband and publicly discusses his decision to come out.

AD

The debates are unfolding against a significant shift in the politics of identity. The #MeToo and Black Lives Matter movements continue to resonate, and the successful push for marriage equality hardly marked the culmination of the quest for a fuller set of LGBT rights. As President Trump inflames America’s divides, the Democratic Party is fielding the most diverse set of presidential candidates in history.

Buttigieg has shot to the top of the polls in Iowa and is gaining strength in New Hampshire, two largely white states — but he trails badly in South Carolina, the first primary state with a sizable African American population. A recent poll gave him less than 1 percent support among black Democrats there.

The mayor’s current efforts to find common ground are prompting raw feelings, including his comments at the last Democratic debate when the question of race arose.

AD

“While I do not have the experience of ever having been discriminated against because of the color of my skin, I do have the experience of sometimes feeling like a stranger in my own country, turning on the news and seeing my own rights come up for debate, and seeing my rights expanded by a coalition of people like me and people not at all like me,” Buttigieg said.

That drew a sharp response, including from Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), a presidential hopeful and the only black woman in the U.S. Senate. “What he did on the stage, it’s just not productive, and I think it’s a bit naive,” she told CNN after the debate.

Other African Americans agreed, feeling that Buttigieg was implicitly comparing his experience to the unique struggle of black Americans, in a misguided effort to show his empathy.

AD

“I

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2019 12:44 PM

hat question — how to square Buttigieg’s privileges with the adversity that comes with anti-gay prejudice — is becoming sharper as the 37-year-old Afghan war veteran rises in the polls and scrambles for ways to connect with black voters. And it renews the issue of how Americans, of any background, will respond to the candidacy of an openly gay man, one who holds hands with his husband and publicly discusses his decision to come out.

AD

The debates are unfolding against a significant shift in the politics of identity. The #MeToo and Black Lives Matter movements continue to resonate, and the successful push for marriage equality hardly marked the culmination of the quest for a fuller set of LGBT rights. As President Trump inflames America’s divides, the Democratic Party is fielding the most diverse set of presidential candidates in history.

Buttigieg has shot to the top of the polls in Iowa and is gaining strength in New Hampshire, two largely white states — but he trails badly in South Carolina, the first primary state with a sizable African American population. A recent poll gave him less than 1 percent support among black Democrats there.

The mayor’s current efforts to find common ground are prompting raw feelings, including his comments at the last Democratic debate when the question of race arose.

AD

“While I do not have the experience of ever having been discriminated against because of the color of my skin, I do have the experience of sometimes feeling like a stranger in my own country, turning on the news and seeing my own rights come up for debate, and seeing my rights expanded by a coalition of people like me and people not at all like me,” Buttigieg said.

That drew a sharp response, including from Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), a presidential hopeful and the only black woman in the U.S. Senate. “What he did on the stage, it’s just not productive, and I think it’s a bit naive,” she told CNN after the debate.

Other African Americans agreed, feeling that Buttigieg was implicitly comparing his experience to the unique struggle of black Americans, in a misguided effort to show his empathy.

AD

“I

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2019 12:44 PM

think Kamala had a point, and I understood what she was saying,” the Rev. Al Sharpton, the civil rights activist, said in an interview, though he added that Buttigieg had been misunderstood.

He said Buttigieg is doing his best to reach out. “He’s evolving,” Sharpton said. “Do I think he’s where he needs to be? No.”

The prospect of tension between the black and gay communities worries some people in both groups. “Can’t y’all stop this mess?” Alvin McEwen, a black LGBT activist from South Carolina, recalled thinking to himself amid the furor following Buttigieg’s comments.

“No group wants to have the autonomy of their narrative taken by another group,” McEwen said. “But it also typifies how both communities want to grab on to power and don’t want to listen to each other.”

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2019 12:45 PM

Asked about the comments during his recent campaign swing in western Iowa, Buttigieg said he was not trying to compare the black and gay experiences, only to say that he is driven to fight for African Americans the way others have fought for him.

AD

“It was people like me and people not like me who came together — starting before I was born and through my lifetime — who have made it possible for things like my marriage to exist, or honestly for somebody like me to even be taken seriously as a candidate for president,” Buttigieg said.

“Having seen that, having seen how that alliance can make an impact, makes me reflect on how I can turn around and make myself useful, not only to the LGBT community but to people whose life experiences are very different,” he added.

by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2019 12:45 PM

Asked about the comments during his recent campaign swing in western Iowa, Buttigieg said he was not trying to compare the black and gay experiences, only to say that he is driven to fight for African Americans the way others have fought for him.

AD

“It was people like me and people not like me who came together — starting before I was born and through my lifetime — who have made it possible for things like my marriage to exist, or honestly for somebody like me to even be taken seriously as a candidate for president,” Buttigieg said.

“Having seen that, having seen how that alliance can make an impact, makes me reflect on how I can turn around and make myself useful, not only to the LGBT community but to people whose life experiences are very different,” he added.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2019 12:45 PM

That resonates with many in the gay rights community. Matt Foreman, program director of the Evelyn and Walter Haas Jr. Fund, which advocates for marriage equality, among other causes, said it’s not a given that being gay gives someone greater empathy for the struggles of people of color.

AD

“But it should,” he said. “It can’t be the same, because you can never get inside anyone else’s skin. But I see that in a lot of LGBT organizations and their sincere commitment to helping address systemic racism.”

Foreman acknowledged that LGBT groups have sometimes fallen short. “We as members of the gay movement have often failed to appreciate the need to be there for other communities,” he said. He cited police shootings, which sometimes prompt an outcry among gay activists and other times a reaction that “this isn’t our issue.”

Wolfson, of Freedom to Marry — now defunct, having attained its goal — said the unhappiness with Buttigieg among many black voters, including in his hometown of South Bend, illustrates that the mayor “undoubtedly has more work to do.”

Adding to his challenges, Buttigieg was forced to respond recently to a harshly worded article in the African American-oriented website the Root, which denounced Buttigieg’s comments from years ago that part of black students’ problem is a lack of successful role models. The author, Michael Harriot, called Buttigieg a liar for omitting the role of systemic racism.

AD

Buttigieg on Tuesday called Harriot to explain his remarks and listen to his critic’s views. And when a voter asked Buttigieg about the article at a town hall in Sioux City, Iowa, the candidate said the author had been right, adding, “We’ve got to look at the structural factors that drive different racial outcomes in our country.” He also cited his “Douglass Plan” for tackling institutional racism, a proposal for sweeping changes in health care, education, employment and criminal justice, among other areas.

A

by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2019 12:46 PM

I detest when minorities debate whose struggle was worse.

When it comes to civil rights, everyone had it tough

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2019 12:46 PM

s an ongoing part of his outreach, Buttigieg plans to worship Sunday at Greenleaf Christian Church in Goldsboro, N.C., which is led by the Rev. William Barber II, a well-known minister and activist.

Barber said in an interview that in today’s polarized climate, candidates are often surprised to find so much diversity in his church — blacks, whites, gays, lesbians.

AD

“Let’s not get caught up in who understands discrimination the most,” Barber said. “Let’s deal with the real issue, which is that the same entities that are against gay folks are the same entities who are against black folks, and that we ought to be united in fighting discrimination in any form it arises.”

Buttigieg from the outset of his campaign sought guidance in how to frame his gay identity when talking with black voters. Two weeks after announcing his run for president, he lunched with Sharpton at Sylvia’s, a famous restaurant in Harlem.

“He wanted to genuinely know how I felt the African American community would relate to an LGBT candidate,” Sharpton said. The activist told Buttigieg something other black leaders have also said — that the level of homophobia in the black community has been greatly overstated.

McEwen said it is clear why some black voters are hesitant to support Buttigieg, noting that many of his qualifications are shared by a female candidate or a person of color, yet they have received far less buzz. He served in the military, but so did Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii). He made a name in local politics, but so did Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.).

“I think the fact that he’s a white male is a far bigger problem than being gay among blacks in South Carolina,” McEwen said. “Because of the white male power structure, he’s gotten a lot more public attention than people who are senators. He’s only been a mayor.”

Beyond that, black voters give various reasons for distrusting Buttigieg, including his handling of race relations in South Bend. But a recurring theme is the sense that Buttigieg benefits from his privileged status without recognizing that he enjoys these advantages.

Buttigieg denies that, saying he is well aware of his advantages, and this week he pledged “increased engagement and new forms of engagement,” though he did not go into detail. Buttigieg has also said his challenge with black voters is that few know him. But his detractors say they know exactly who he is: a well-intentioned white liberal who credits himself with more insight into the black predicament than he has.

“He gets to be cast an all-American boy in the race, as if black people cannot be all-American,” McEwen said. “Could you imagine if he were black and gay? Good lord, it would be a miracle that anyone would vote for

by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2019 12:46 PM

Nonsense , Pete. Are there no black gay people in existence? My worst enemies are white gay men who have an ax to grind against ' my type'.

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2019 12:48 PM

SURE black people cannot hide the color of their skin and therefore who and what they are, at the same time their are countries who will literally kill gay people and torture them and where they have NO RIGHTS whatsoever STILL!

do black people not see this or understand or get this?.. it's not suppose to be a contest on who has it worse, if anything their should be solidarity in their struggle!...

i also do not like the whole "well since he's white he's AUTOMATICALLY quote "privileged".. to me it's like saying people's "entitlements" are bad!..

a white person still has to work to have the life they want, they still go thru shit, their not "privileged' in that regard and "entitlements" are not that either, people have EARNED them.

or and as far as him getting more attention then tulsi and amy who have similar credentials, could it have ANYTHING, ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIM HAVING BETTER POLICY IDEAS AND BEING A BETTER SPEAKER THEN EITHER OF THEM?! NO, THAT COULDN'T BE IT (sarcasm)..

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2019 12:51 PM

Yes, anyone who has felt prejudiced against should be able to relate on some level, with other people who have experienced the feeling of being prejudged.

What's hard about that? No one can ever be black unless they were born black. Is she saying no one not black can ever really know what it's like to walk in their shoes? Well then, ok.

So no one will ever know what it is like then. No one will ever be able to relate. Everyone else's experience with prejudice is totally nothing.

This is why people give up trying to relate to and pacify complainers. Like a nagging wife, nothing is ever good enough, so they tune them out.

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2019 12:52 PM

Its true in some respects but Pete is surprisingly idiotic to say it out loud.

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2019 12:59 PM

I don't think Pete has spent much time around diverse crowds R13.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2019 1:16 PM

I don't think Pete has spent much time around diverse crowds R13.

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2019 1:16 PM

I think it's just homophobia against him.

The haters don't want a GAY president. That's all it amounts to. Hate for gays.

Kamala is saying whatever because she's a candidate but the straight haters that really believe this are homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2019 1:17 PM

Haters will always hate and won't listen.

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2019 1:20 PM

Read this article and you'll see why Mayor Pete's premise is complete and utter bullshit. Pete gets in front of white audiences and lies about Black people but in fairness to him a lot of people believe this bullshit because it lets them off the hook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2019 1:22 PM

Wait, maybe Pete is lying. Look at how set up this video seems. Even the racist heckler asking the question has a smile on his face. Did Pete's campaign but him up to it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2019 1:31 PM

[quote]I don't think Pete has spent much time around diverse crowds

How ridiculous. His home town is 40% POC, his university roommate was black, he went to Harvard and Oxford, and was in the military as well. I'd rather hear about how much diversity the two New England senators have seen in their lives...

by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2019 2:01 PM

r18 We've already discussed that article in a separate thread. Have you just dropped by from LSA or were you in a coma?

by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2019 2:02 PM

r18 The nasty piece of shit who wrote that article also wrote articles back in 2016 attacking black people who were considering voting for Hillary. But yes, let's listen to his deranged nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2019 2:04 PM

[quote]Oliver Davis, a black council member in South Bend, Ind., where Buttigieg is mayor, said that African Americans, unlike gay people, don’t have the option of “coming out” at their chosen moment — as did Buttigieg, who disclosed his sexual orientation after he had been elected mayor.

1. Davis is bitter because Pete defeated him in the last election.

2. Closet is not a privilege. Even bringing up the argument of "hiding" (for those who can pass as straight, that is) is homophobic. Plenty of gays in Iran never came out, but still got hanged from a crane. Others in other countries - including where majority of the population is black - get imprisoned regularly and then tortured in prison. Also, how many out gay mayors in red states were around when Pete came out? And how many openly gay male senators have been in the Senate in the entire history of this country? Give me a fucking break.

3. You need to be seriously thick to think this pitting minorities against each other benefits the black community.

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2019 2:11 PM

As a gay black man, I absolutely agree with Pete’s point that as a minority he is better positioned to relate to the experience of other minorities. I also think it’s true that just because you’re gay doesn’t mean that you have an inherent understanding of what it’s like to be a person of color.

Overall, I think people are picking on Pete here in an overboard way.

by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2019 2:16 PM

How many black people have been disowned by their families because they are black ?

by Anonymousreply 25November 28, 2019 2:20 PM

Slavery is something that happened to other people a long time ago. You can't keep whining when we had a black President for 8 years.

Anyone can do anything with their lives now. So if you're a high school dropout single black woman living with 5 kids by three fathers in a Section 8 house, collecting food stamps, child support and welfare... sitting around texting all day and watching TV... your problem is in the mirror- not with Whitey.

by Anonymousreply 26November 28, 2019 2:25 PM

Why do gay men not get it?

Most blacks dislike and outright HATE gay men, that's all there is too it

If you've ever lived or worked in a predominantly black neighborhood, you hear anti gay slurs constantly, I remember being a manager at a supermarket and hearing and seeing black mother's smacking their 2 year old sons and screaming "Don't be acting like NO little faggot!"

by Anonymousreply 27November 28, 2019 2:28 PM

Let's hear it from another gay black man, shall we?

[quote]I also think it’s true that just because you’re gay doesn’t mean that you have an inherent understanding of what it’s like to be a person of color.

Pete never claimed otherwise. No minority has an inherent understanding of the other minority, that's preposterous. Of course straight people don't understand what it's like to be gay; they can only imagine. As I can only imagine what it's like to be an Asian person. On the other hand, gay people are universal to every culture and every ethnicity throughout history and were probably around before the rise of said ethnicities and cultures, and so I really detest the way everything is looked at through the US lens only. Bitch, gay people were put into concentration camps during WWII and then into prison to serve out the sentence for the crime they never committed. Why does no one ever bring that up, I wonder?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2019 2:29 PM

This is not the first divisive post the OP has posted. Someone is *really* trying to raise a conflict between the black and gay communities. Expect more of this shit in the coming year because, sadly, it works.

by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2019 2:32 PM

Skin color and sexuality are nowhere near in the same realm when it comes to discrimination and prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2019 2:32 PM

r27 The same can be said for deplorable white communities and they probably outnumber the black community, so - relatively speaking - the whites are more homophobic when you look at the sheer numbers. That's in the US; the world as a whole is a different story. But even there homophobia thrives thanks to the white man's religion.

by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2019 2:33 PM

I agree, R30. Discrimination against gay men is much worse.

by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2019 2:34 PM

r30 You're completely right - one is criminalised in 72 countries around the world, and the other is not.

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2019 2:34 PM

R29 hits the nail on the head.

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2019 2:36 PM

R32. I am going to pretend I did not read your bullshit post. Fags your struggles is not the same as negroes.

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2019 2:37 PM

I think opposition to Mayor Pete is rooted in homophobia. People are way too harsh and nit picky on him for it to be anything else but homophobia. You guys all know what he meant when he said he understands with discrimination feels like. Now you call him your worst enemy?

by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2019 2:37 PM

This is such a blatant twisting of his words, it’s disgusting. He never equivocated anything. It was a moment of trying to communicate empathy. No one can deny his campaign has an uphill battle with gaining black support but the media has continuously fucked him into a corner with almost no way out by amplifying this kind of bad faith manufactured outrage. And if I read another person saying Kamala “owned him” on this — um, no she did not. She backed down on stage and only gave that bs “naive” comment when she was coaxed to by a reporter in a post-debate interview. This wasn’t her great moment of courage standing up to the only gay guy in the debate.

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2019 2:37 PM

[quote]gay people were put into concentration camps during WWII and then into prison to serve out the sentence for the crime they never committed. Why does no one ever bring that up, I wonder?

Because there were far more gays who were Nazi supporters/enablers than victims.

by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2019 2:37 PM

F&F R38.

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2019 2:39 PM

[quote]Expect more of this shit in the coming year because, sadly, it works.

I read years ago that the Russians thought fuelling racial and culture wars in the US was the best way to destabilise it. How right they were. However, I'm most disappointed in Kamala, who is gladly going along with this narrative just to score some quick points. Extra frustrating because she's not exactly the poster child for the traditional black experience in America, is she?

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2019 2:40 PM

R31 Muslim, the most hateful oppressive religion in the world to gays and women, is a "white man's religion?"

Bottom line, even the most liberal gay white guy wouldn't walk down a black neighborhood kissing or holding their boyfriend's hands, but they would do it in an all white neighborhood

It's like all those white liberals who baby and treat blacks like children, who can't think for themselves, they stir shit up and retreat to their gated, rich white suburbs

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2019 2:41 PM

r38 Yes, I'm sure that's why they were put into concentration camps in the first place - to reward them for their Nazi support. You are beyond gross.

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2019 2:42 PM

Kamala Harris is a disgusting liar. I hope Pete brings up her prosecutorial record at the next debate and finishes her off.

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2019 2:42 PM

Gay men are attacked in white neighborhoods all the time. Garbage

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2019 2:42 PM

R30 here. Let me be clear. I’m not advocating for either side. Neither is better or worse. That’s a fight that is just not worth getting into. As humans, I feel, any prejudice and discrimination we impose on each other is wrong and that is where we should unite to fight. The types of prejudices and discriminations are definitely different to me. When I walk out my door nobody knows I’m gay. When my neighbor does, everyone knows he’s black. I can lie in 72 countries about my sexuality if I had to in order to stay alive. My neighbor cannot lie about his race because of the color of his skin.

Neither is really better or worse it’s all discrimination. It’s the subject, not the type we have all have to stop fighting about and unite over to put an end to. But that’s my view and others sure are welcome to their own and it doesn’t make anyone right or anyone wrong.

by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2019 2:48 PM

I am surprised that LGBT support for Mayor Pete is at 17%. Within our own community, he is not overwhelming choice.

I think support for him nationally is 8%. Yet the OP repeatedly and the media frequently like to highlight the issue of black support for Mayor Pete. His low standing in the national race isn’t driven only by black voters.

Whites, blacks etc do not choose him as their candidate at this point.

The attitudes about the gayness or “homosexuality” are laid out in this poll.

“Support for acceptance of homosexuality has grown across the board”

Hispanic — 73%

White — 70%

Black — 63%

But efforts to pit us against one another — and promote the narrative that Mayor Pete’s biggest challenge is with black voters — is tiresome and rampant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2019 2:50 PM

[quote] and promote the narrative that Mayor Pete’s biggest challenge is with black voters — is tiresome and rampant.

So is the on-going deflection, rationalization and justification for homophobia (and racism and bigotry) in the Black community.

by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2019 2:54 PM

Then r46, Dont complain to DL. This is kinda the narrative in the media surrounding Pete right now. You dont want us to discuss it because it hurts your feelings?

by Anonymousreply 48November 28, 2019 2:56 PM

WELL WELL SAID R25, R26 AND R27.. YOU ALL NAILED IT!

by Anonymousreply 49November 28, 2019 2:57 PM

Do any of you recall how the media went after Obama for his connection to Reverend Wright? The narrative pushed at that time was that he was anti-white. This is par for the course and the good news is it's happening now--early in the process. It just guarantees he will pick a POC for VP.

by Anonymousreply 50November 28, 2019 3:02 PM

R27, you’re a vile racist. Watch yourself

by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2019 3:03 PM

The black pundits on msnbc cannot stand little homosexual petey!

by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2019 3:05 PM

He'd have been a shoo-in for the nomination if he hadn't antagonized the black community.

by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2019 3:08 PM

I can’t help but feel that the real reason for this is that black people don’t want to be compared to filthy faggots. They don’t do this with any other group.

by Anonymousreply 54November 28, 2019 3:09 PM

I think Pete had a perfectly measured response that called upon empathy to understand each other. He's getting torn to shreds for it. Worst of all, it is invalidating HIS experience as a gay man growing up in an America that even a decade ago was vilifying gay people and using them as election pawns.

I'm not getting into whose struggle is worse, and neither did Pete.

Pete is being forced to apologize for being racist, but a good deal of this attack and his lack of black support has its roots in homophobia. Nobody in the media is bringing that up, at all. Once again, the fag is made to apologize.

I teach in SC. I have lots of black students, and many of them are gay. Their parents and grandparents are deeply religious and they've said they will never come out because of that. My students are very religious as well, but they've managed to square that with their sexuality. I would really like to get their views on this, but I doubt they're even paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 55November 28, 2019 3:15 PM

R52 for pointing out, the dozens of times, I heard anti gay/hate remarks from blacks from my own personal experience?

This is a GAY board, shouldn't you be more upset at homophobia from blacks or verbal child abuse with the name calling

If you're black AND gay, most of your racist and anti gay black community that you rush to defend, don't give a fuck about you either!

by Anonymousreply 56November 28, 2019 3:16 PM

The man is a saint for putting up with this. He even called that asshole from The Root. He’s genuinely trying to reach out to people who will never change their minds about him, no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 57November 28, 2019 3:16 PM

If Pete loses at least I can take solace in knowing that Kamala lost as well. She and her supporters are such garbage people.

by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2019 3:20 PM

R56 R58

by Anonymousreply 59November 28, 2019 3:23 PM

“ If you're black AND gay, most of your racist and anti gay black community that you rush to defend, don't give a fuck about you either!”

What about the information in R46? You paint the entire black community as homophobic. That info said 70% of whites and 63% of black respondents are accepting of gay people. Do we paint the white community with the same brush despite the fact that there’s only a 7% difference. I personally believe it’s older people, especially religious ones, who carry negative views. But still, those poll results don’t show a huge difference. It’s just the narrative about black views that seemingly gets exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 60November 28, 2019 4:05 PM

You people are nuts.

by Anonymousreply 61November 28, 2019 4:23 PM

'You people'

by Anonymousreply 62November 28, 2019 5:13 PM

[quote] The man is a saint for putting up with this. He even called that asshole from The Root. He’s genuinely trying to reach out to people who will never change their minds about him, no matter what.

It makes me so sad to see Pete being held to the same standard as the other candidates. THIS MAN IS A SAINT. I cry when I think of what he goes through to bring us into a better world.

by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2019 5:16 PM

R62 most of the posters on this thread. Probably including you.

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2019 5:17 PM

[quote] He'd have been a shoo-in for the nomination if he hadn't antagonized the black community.

And ignored the Hispanic community.

[quote] In interviews with more than a dozen Latino activists and leader from Washington to California and Nevada, some members of the key voting bloc describe Buttigieg’s outreach as non-existent.

and

[quote] Leo Murrieta, Nevada director for Make the Road Action, which organizes immigrant and minority communities, said he’s met with Buttigieg's senior staff and asked the campaign to set up a meeting with the candidate on three separate occasions. But each request for Buttigieg himself to appear has gone unanswered, Murrieta said.

[quote] “It’s doubly disappointing because I AM GAY and I was personally interested in hearing what he had to say in person rather than just on a debate stage doing sound bites,” Murrieta said in a text message.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 28, 2019 5:17 PM

Yeah, I know a lot of black people who pretended to be white until they were in their 30's.

::eye-roll::

I'm truly astounded that this bible-thumping cliche is held up by anyone as some sort of luminous homosexual hero.

The guy is as non-threatening to the general population as a homosexual possibly could be. Guess what. 'As non-threatening as possible gays' are not the ones who created the social change that made his candidacy possible in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2019 5:28 PM

Woah guys, please stop with the gifts! You’ve already given me so much.

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2019 5:40 PM

[quote]It makes me so sad to see Pete being held to the same standard as the other candidates.

He isn’t, you stupid cunt. That’s the point.

by Anonymousreply 68November 29, 2019 3:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!