Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

West Side Story on Broadway

I'm not part of the theater community, but I was interested in catching one of the previews to West Side Story at the Broadway Theater. Is there any advance scuttlebutt I should know before purchasing a ticket? Any reason NOT to go?

by Anonymousreply 94February 20, 2020 5:23 PM

Because the movie actually has Jerome Robbins' choreography and always will?

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2019 10:01 PM

One giant reason to skip it: Ivan Van Hove.

The man never met a pointless gimmick he didn’t like. And then overuse.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2019 10:04 PM

Broadway today is nothing but pointless gimmicks. Alfred Drake wouldn't even get his foot in the door today.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2019 10:05 PM

The last revival was so listless and boring that it soured me on the show overall.

I have no need to ever see a stage version of WSS again

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2019 10:13 PM

The nudity is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2019 10:16 PM

A lot of people in the theatre community are waiting for it to crash and burn.

I'm not a Van Hove fan either, and hiring the serial harasser from NYCB was just stupid. So was cutting musical numbers. And the original choreography.

But don't let that stop you from enjoying it, OP. Just report back.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2019 10:16 PM

I saw a version of "America" during one of the concert versions of the show. The Puerto Rican girls were so over the top with the cartoonish accents and "Oooh mami" crap that it was almost as offensive as having white people playing the roles in the original)s). Almost.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2019 10:19 PM

I'm waiting for the Martians to invade so we can have an interplanetary Tony and Maria, showing the evil and pointlessness of hatred between Terrans and non-Terrans. It will be a challenge, because whilst the Martian cast who are playing the Otherised group can sing, they are hopeless at Latin dance because they have no knees (I have it on good authority that the real key to Latin dance isn't hip wiggling, but flows from the knees down).

So, out goes the Dance at the Gym and the Rooftop Dance. Suggestions for replacement numbers?

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2019 10:23 PM

OP-"Any reason NOT to go?"

Sacrilege?

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2019 10:25 PM

It's van Give, so I guarantee there's some "concept"staple-gunned to the script - Brexit, global fascism, #metoo, you name it.

And it will have fuck all to do with the original story.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2019 11:19 PM

So who went to the first preview?

I hear the Robbins stuff is back in. As are the cut songs

What’s the scoop?

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2019 1:41 PM

So no?

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2019 12:09 PM

Use your own damn judgement for a change instead of allowing yourself to be led around the nose by others.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2019 12:14 PM

So no

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2019 11:57 AM

Is this a Gen Z woke interpretation? Will they expand a side story where Anybodys confides in Riff that she’s going to transition? Will Anita abandon Bernardo to become a climate change activist after being inspired by AOC’s New Green Deal? Will Doc get #metoo’ed at his own candy shop after complimenting the Jet girls on how nice they look?

by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2019 12:05 PM

R15 I would suggest an ICE raid on the sharks as well

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2019 12:10 PM

I caught Ivo's "Elektra" last week at the Comedie Francaise. Whole thing layed in mud, which was thrown around a lot. The skinny androgyne playing Elektra took a big knife and cut the cock and balls off a tall cute guy, and flung them halfway across the stage. Even the jaded Parisians gasped, un peu.

West Side Story should have gang-related ritual castration, too.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2019 12:54 PM

"played in mud."

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2019 12:55 PM

So silent

by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2019 2:57 PM

I saw it last night and loved most of it, the video that was added was distracting in some of the scenes and took away from what was happening on stage. When it worked it was amazing and a great addition. The music and lyrics have withstood the test of time (60 years?) and was wonderful. The missing ballet was incorporated into other numbers in an abbreviated form. The musical number I Feel Pretty was not missed. The preview was sold out I would recommend the show.

by Anonymousreply 20December 19, 2019 11:15 AM

I like this show only in HS and college productions.

by Anonymousreply 21December 19, 2019 11:27 AM

[quote]The musical number I Feel Pretty was not missed.

Then let's also get rid of "Gee Officer Krupke" and "Cool." Why bore an audience with an attention span of 90 minutes or less. And while you're at it, why not just throw out the orchestra and replace everything with a hip-hop beat since that's all the kids like these days! Musical theater is so gay, so let's put the "bro" back in "Broadway" with hip-hop, hip-hop, and more hip-hop!

by Anonymousreply 22December 19, 2019 12:14 PM

There's no way this version can be any good at all. No way.

by Anonymousreply 23December 19, 2019 12:23 PM

And why not move everything to the 2010s since the present is all that matters anyway?

by Anonymousreply 24December 19, 2019 12:29 PM

The elimination of " I Feel Pretty" is more for the woke feminists than for time purposes

by Anonymousreply 25December 19, 2019 12:32 PM

So the work of a gay man is bowdlerized to appease heterosexual women and we're supposed to applaud this as something other than censorship-by-proxy, R25. I'll be god-fucking-damned before I do that.

by Anonymousreply 26December 19, 2019 12:34 PM

[quote]There's no way this version can be any good at all. No way.

Typical DLers who will never see the show have passed judgement on the shows viability.

by Anonymousreply 27December 19, 2019 3:27 PM

Well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2019 1:19 AM

///////////////////

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2019 1:21 AM

gay.

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2019 1:25 AM

Any updates on West Side Story? Should I buy tickets?

by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2019 11:45 PM

Well, I saw this on Instagram with the tacky caption, "is this what one hand, one heart means". So, you be the judge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2019 11:57 PM

Also, his "performance" here. Trying his hardest to be straight. Haha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2019 11:58 PM

R44, did you bother to peruse any of the previous postings?

by Anonymousreply 34December 24, 2019 12:33 AM

^ R33.

by Anonymousreply 35December 24, 2019 12:34 AM

^^^You don't even know what you're talking about. Come back when you're sober buddy.

by Anonymousreply 36December 24, 2019 12:47 AM

How is the boyishly handsome Amar Ramasar?

by Anonymousreply 37December 24, 2019 12:55 AM

Isaac hurt his knee. They’re postponing opening night.

by Anonymousreply 38December 24, 2019 12:58 AM

The Tony understudy is black. Ugh. This production is just STUPID.

by Anonymousreply 39December 24, 2019 2:33 PM

now it will be a total of three months of previews.

by Anonymousreply 40December 24, 2019 6:17 PM

R39, this is the new " Woke" Broadway which pays no attention to the original intent of characters. Just don;t try to cast a white Purlie.

by Anonymousreply 41December 24, 2019 6:50 PM

He's the New, Woke Larry Kert!

by Anonymousreply 42December 24, 2019 7:11 PM

All the leads from the movie are still alive except Natalie.

by Anonymousreply 43December 24, 2019 10:55 PM

Anyone else see it?

by Anonymousreply 44December 27, 2019 11:27 AM

Save your money. You're going to need it for the multiple theatrical viewings of FOLLIES that are on the horizon. Also, start purchasing adult diapers now, you'll need them for all the soiling that's going to be happening.

by Anonymousreply 45December 27, 2019 11:37 AM

[quote][R39], this is the new " Woke" Broadway which pays no attention to the original intent of characters. Just don;t try to cast a white Purlie.

Can we make him Chinese instead?

by Anonymousreply 46December 27, 2019 2:25 PM

Well, he could be black, but identify as Chinese. Hey, it's "Woke" Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 47December 27, 2019 2:47 PM

[quote] Well, he could be black, but identify as Chinese.

Lak me!

by Anonymousreply 48December 27, 2019 2:50 PM

R39 It's SO obvious they don't want to hire a white actor for the lead!

As a Latino myself (Guatemalan) whose sister married into a Puerto Rican family (they have a soft spot for the film), I think it's absurd the way they're going about with this production. Then again, the entertainment industry has swung so far left this decade, especially after 2015, that there's an anti-male, anti-white, anti-America bias in Hollywood and Broadway. Hence, all the non-whites being hired for traditional white roles and foreigners being cast as Americans and the vitriol against the US from SJWs et al. As someone who emigrated here and is a naturalized US citizen (and proud of it) the latter perplexes me. No doubt the US has its share of problems and one should feel free to criticize their government, but they make it sound like living here is like hell on earth! Women, in particular, have it much better here than many places around the world. Yet all they do is bitch about (straight and/or white) men and the patriarchy. I don't like this type of man-hating feminism.

by Anonymousreply 49December 28, 2019 12:18 AM

R49 Completely agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 50December 28, 2019 12:51 AM

" foreigners being cast as Americans "

You mean like Anthony La Paglia, Poppy Montgomery, and Toni Collette? Maybe we just need to shut the borders to Aussies. They have been taking our parts for decades.

by Anonymousreply 51December 28, 2019 9:54 PM

R51 Other countries, including Australia, protect their homegrown talent. SAG-AFTRA has been doing a lousy job stateside because there's an anti-America bias in Hollywood going on this decade. It's one thing to see a foreigner or two play Americans, but when it is constantly it becomes a problem.

by Anonymousreply 52December 29, 2019 10:47 AM

R52 EXACTLY. These days they are either British, Canadian, Australian or Indian. Look at the Bernardo in this production. A fucking Indian. I used to be a performer. I can sing my ass off, great actor, and dance and I'm Puerto Rican. I can't tell you how many times I auditioned for WWS productions in the past 15 years and was never cast. Passed over for a white guy or even a black guy. Just makes NO sense. I just found out that movie "QUEEN & SLIM" both black leads are British. haha. Like WTF.

by Anonymousreply 53December 29, 2019 10:57 AM

R53 And in BOMBSHELL and LITTLE WOMEN all the leads are foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 54December 29, 2019 11:06 AM

R54 Oh my gosh. YUP.

by Anonymousreply 55December 29, 2019 11:13 AM

I think if they want this to run they better add Evan Hansen as a character.

by Anonymousreply 56December 29, 2019 11:19 AM

(Mostly white) women in power have ruined Hollywood/Broadway with their preachy virtue signaling and woke agendas and policing freedom of expression in the arts. They really are the nanny state.

by Anonymousreply 57December 29, 2019 11:39 AM

In regard to Bombshell, Nicole Kidman WAS born in Hawaii, but I agree with your point R54.

by Anonymousreply 58December 29, 2019 11:07 PM

[quote] (Mostly white) women in power have ruined Hollywood/Broadway with their preachy virtue signaling and woke agendas and policing freedom of expression in the arts. They really are the nanny state.

Except for Pete, Fran Drescher is sounding better than the other challengers to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 59December 29, 2019 11:08 PM

In regard to Little Women, Saoirse Ronan was born in the Bronx r54, but I see your point.

by Anonymousreply 60December 29, 2019 11:16 PM

To most Manhattanites, the Bronx might as well be a foreign country.

by Anonymousreply 61December 29, 2019 11:36 PM

What the fuck does the “Groundwater of the modern musical” mean and why would you put it into and advertisement? “ Honey, do you want to go see West Side Story?”, “ No, I would rather wait for the “Gulf stream of the modern musical!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2020 11:42 PM

If the recent Oklahoma didn't send the queens to their fainting couches, this one certainly will....pearls will be clutched, vapors will envelop, salts will be smelled

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2020 12:01 AM

Why?!!! Do tell! There seems to be NO talk about this show anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2020 12:37 PM

I saw it in previews and liked it, the staging is creative and a treat to see the show has been updated and edited for todays audience who have a shorter attention span by eliminating the ballet and one song.

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2020 2:38 PM

The kids in the audience ate it up. The adults looked shellshocked.

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2020 2:47 PM

I had NO idea Poppy Montgomery was born in Australia, r51. Nor did I know she was born Poppy Petal Emma Elizabeth Deveraux Donaghue.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2020 3:01 PM

I've yet to see a "Dream Ballet" I couldn't sleep through.

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2020 3:03 PM

Cutting the dream ballet is fine. Not I FEEL PRETTY.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2020 5:13 PM

Jerome Robbins brilliance...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2020 6:15 PM

saw it tonight and totally agree with R20

some of it is brilliant, some visually beautiful and very moving, and most is interesting. It's still all about the beautiful score.

The legions of DL racists and bigots will hate it because the cast looks like the young NYers we see every day.

The theatre queens here who think every classic American musical should have been freeze dried on opening night and taken out and reconstituted every 20 years or so will kvetch to no end. It's a WSS for today, not for 60 years ago.

Seemed every seat, at least in the orchestra, was filled and I only saw one guy leave, and since he was pushing 90 and we were an hour and half into it, i suspect he needed to piss.

for the dumbfuck above who hates van hove, it's "Ivo" not "Ivan", dickhead

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2020 4:36 AM

Can anyone who saw it explain the “groundwater” quote? Does a river run through it?

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2020 11:37 AM

R71 when I saw it in previews it was sold out and there were people in front of the theater looking for tickets. No one left before the show ended and the cast and orchestra received a long standing applause from the audience.

Most of the poor dumb fucks on this thread will probably never see the show but have passed judgement on the show (typical DLers).

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2020 2:29 PM

I don't give a shit about the changes but this depresses me. Creativity has been squeezed out of theatre. Now the only shows that make it to Broadway are musicals based on 80's movies, jukebox musicals, and revivals of shows that have already been done to death. There are no new shows with original plots and scores anymore. Every property that makes it to the stage is recycled.

by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2020 3:02 PM

I saw it. It's a sort of interesting mess, but hardly worth the money. The cast is really amateurish which hurts a lot. It's like watching a multi million dollar BAM/NYU production.

by Anonymousreply 75January 24, 2020 4:04 PM

THE CHER SHOW...sorta

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 24, 2020 4:10 PM

Broadway musicals are a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 77January 24, 2020 4:34 PM

Poor Amar. Who is Christina Bargelt anyway? Professional ballerina and sexual assault awareness advocate--that's who!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2020 4:52 PM

My partner is into bway. See everything. West side has a lot going for it. If you see anything go see american utopia. Freshest thing on bway.

by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2020 5:06 PM

I may have missed this above. The original film used a revised choreography for America, which is evidently used here (all girls as opposed to girls and boys}). But it also reversed the positions of Cool and Officer Krupke. Many people but not everybody think the reversal was an improvement. Where are the two songs' positions in this version?

by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2020 6:01 PM

R80 here. So has De Keersmaeker been dismissed as choreographer? If so, does any of her work remain? Who is the new choreographer? Will his work be all his own or at least partially based on Robbins?

Sorry I have not been able to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2020 8:47 PM

I saw it and agree with r20 and r71. Worth the trip.

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2020 8:57 PM

Wait, I Feel Pretty is no longer in this production? I kid you not growing up in the 1970s we would put the record on and dance around in drag singing along.

by Anonymousreply 83January 24, 2020 10:44 PM

It's not even progressive. My high school did a modern version of WSS with mixed cast and tattoos in 1999. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 84January 24, 2020 11:49 PM

then why didn't you bring to broadway then?

by Anonymousreply 85January 25, 2020 5:44 AM

R85 haha. Because I don't have the resources.

by Anonymousreply 86January 25, 2020 12:22 PM

genius thwarted....alas

by Anonymousreply 87January 25, 2020 2:39 PM

R87 HA!

by Anonymousreply 88January 25, 2020 11:29 PM

A good friend of mine just saw it. She was very disappointed in it. Debbie really was great in the 1980 revival....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 29, 2020 2:12 AM

This is the first West Side Story I’ve seen where Anita didn’t steal the show. This actress is a dud. And the video stuff is tiresome, especially each time the actors are offstage for five minutes or so and we’re watching a video of what they are doing away from the audience’s view.

by Anonymousreply 90January 29, 2020 3:50 PM

It opens tonight. Seems like a “woke,” reimagined mess. They cut “I Feel Pretty“? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 91February 20, 2020 12:58 PM

When you see the same shows over and over whether in high school, community theater, touring productions or on Broadway, you begin to see which shows DO NOT need revising. I saw "WSS" in high school, community theater and the 2009 Broadway production, and don't need to revisit it just 11 years later irregardless of what was wrong in the last revival. Cut it down to 90 minutes with Broadway prices and motivations that just upset me by reading about them? Deal with the "woke" crowd going crazy over it when you find it vapid and cheap? Certainly not. I skipped "Oklahoma!" for the same reason. I've seen the SJW's in theater become upset because the stranger next to them was obviously not enjoying it and act all "offended". Too many things to choose from now whether On or Off Broadway, and I'm still of the belief that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. WSS without the ballet is like The Wizard of Oz without the yellow brick road.

by Anonymousreply 92February 20, 2020 1:57 PM

[quote]irregardless

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 93February 20, 2020 3:15 PM

always assaults the ear regardless of how many times one hears it

by Anonymousreply 94February 20, 2020 5:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!