Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GIRLIE GIRLINA FASHION ADVICE WANTED

Where can an old Social Security type crone like myself find a sturdy long skirt to wear?

I'm tired of the "grandma gave up and started wearing sweats all the time when she turned 50" look. I want an inexpensive, hard working LONG skirt, hopefully with an elastic waistband, that I can wear in the winter so I don't look like a festive hobo during the holiday get togethers.

No holiday themes and certainly nothing fancy. You can humble brag all you want about the bargains you found at chi-chi stores and/or their outlets. But most of my shopping is done at Target, 7-11, and Trader Joe's. That's my reality.

I know these seems like an unusual fashion request from Datalounge, but we've done "thrifty" threads before.

Let's think of this as one of those.

And yes, grandma is a queer from way back, so please help.

Why I had to walk 20 miles in the snow, barefoot, just to get oral sex and marijuana.

Now, Social Security pays for my synthetic marijuana and I've more or less closed up shop down there.

Anyway, joke all you want but some real advice would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 1:25 PM

The hoop skirt is practical, comfortable & modest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2019 8:04 AM

Are you opposed to Amazon? You can instantly see many long skirts for winter in an extremely wide range of sizes, colors, fabrics and style. Best of all reader comments will guide you to the best quality and value because many of them are pickier than you can possibly imagine. Recommend that you wear tights or leggings under your maxi skirt for warmth and practicality.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2019 8:05 AM

Try eBay, Etsy and other online stores. I do a lot of "window shopping" on eBay and buy clothing there regularly. I prefer vintage styles and I keep my costs down.

If you prefer checking out the clothing directly, there are a range of second hand stores that often have nice items. Salvation Army is not as expensive as Goodwill, but My Sister's Closet and a lot of church charity stores have the same. I think there are apps that are also the local online equivalent to garage sales.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2019 8:12 AM

Great tips.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2019 8:36 AM

Go to Goodwill. They have a big selection and you can find exactly what you want. Most clothing stores don't carry that many skirts.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2019 8:59 AM

Why synthetic MJ? Is the real stuff not legal in your state?

I shop the same stores you do lol.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2019 9:06 AM

I can't tell if OP is a man or a woman.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2019 10:04 AM

You'll want to look for an A-line maxi skirt, maybe A-line midi if the maxi is too long. The usual online places like JC Penney's, Sears, Macys, Kohls, Nordstroms are all good and you can find sales there regularly. eBay is great for finding last season's clothes, companies will sell their overstock to independent sellers who put them on eBay where it's cheaper than when it was on the rack.

This sounds weird but it's true, my 67-year-old mother got a really nice straight-line black skirt from Hot Topic that didn't look like it was for teenagers. Try stores you wouldn't normally try, just in case.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2019 10:24 AM

Someone needs help buying a skirt?

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2019 10:28 AM

This isn't even close to the first thread we've had where a lesbian asked us for fashion advice. We had one a few months ago that devolved into a whole THING about whether a navy skirt could be paired with navy heels.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2019 10:30 AM

I’ve had great luck with online consignment Thred Up. Look for Women’s skirts then Filter for Long or maxi skirt skirt length. You’ll have hundreds of choices. Good luck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2019 10:57 AM

Try Buffalo Exchange, if there is one in your area. New supplies daily.

You will be wearing this skirt with Birkenstocks, yes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2019 11:03 AM

I'm with you. I've found great skirts, OP, at thrift stores. We have My Sister's Closet in San Diego, which is consignment, and it's great too. Also, a little hipper (no pun intended) is Buykud.com, a Korean online fashion site with longer dresses and skirts. Good luck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2019 11:14 AM

If you still have nice legs you should show them. You’ll get more dick that way

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2019 12:38 AM

The Duggar women rocked these pretty fiercely. Look at the man meat she scored in that skirt!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2019 12:43 AM

Goodwill or other thrift shops. I was going to suggest Eileen Fisher, but that’s expensive. Then again, I come across Eileen Fisher stuff at Goodwill, so if you see any, grab it. I do a lot of thrifting, and Goodwill always has long skirts. Some thrift shops don’t even bother with them.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2019 1:16 AM

Lands End has a ponte knit midi skirt on sale for $29.99.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2019 1:34 AM

Ooh, thanks for the Land's End tip.

Meanwhile, my legs are my best feature at this stage in my life. But dick is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the other internet tips as well.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2019 4:08 AM

For the love of all that is holy do not buy a floor length denim skirt with an elasticized waist. You’ll look like Kim whatshername that hag from Kentucky who wouldn’t give out gay wedding licenses.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2019 4:31 AM

Google “modest clothing skirts.” You’ll get a lot of fashion that’s made for Christian women that have to wear skirts all the time for religious reasons, and modest clothes for Muslims. Don’t knock it. A lot of it’s not that expensive and it’s made for women that wear long skirts every day and aren’t looking for super dressy stuff. A lot of Chinese manufacturers sell this type of stuff and it’s cheap.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2019 5:40 AM

Lands End skirt is now 50% off /$25 with code COCOA and free shipping ... work fast sister

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2019 9:07 AM

Try this, OP. I don't know what you mean by a "hard working" skirt, but that requirement has to be in conflict with an elastic waist band. If you want the skirt to be hard working, then you need it to be securely fastened.

Perhaps you can clarify that and we can be of greater assistance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2019 1:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!