Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grammy Nominations - 2020

Lizzo gets eight nominations, including Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Album of the Year and Best New Artist. Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X got six nominations each. These three compete with Ariana Grande, Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend, H.E.R. and Lana Del Rey for Album of the Year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 12, 2019 8:43 PM

The Grammys have lost all credibility and respect over the past years. They are now no better than an AMA.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2019 2:03 PM

They have left out the “oldies” - Bruce, Madonna etc. to stay relevant. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2019 2:08 PM

Nothing makes me feel older than the annual list of Grammy nominees.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2019 2:21 PM

R3 Me too, and you know what, I'm glad to be old. What the hell happened to music.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2019 2:33 PM

R2 no they haven’t. Lizzo is the new black Madonna

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2019 2:39 PM

Grammys has lost its credibility long time ago when it’s giving away most of its awards to Beyoncé 😂

It’s another AMA MTV VMAs nowadays 😂🤣

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2019 2:44 PM

Surprised of the Bruce snob as well as Barbra’s nomination. As usual they are kissing Beyoncé’s ass.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2019 3:15 PM

The Bon Iver nominations were surprising. Nice to see Lana Del Ray in there as well. Big fan of Norman Fucking Rockwell.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2019 3:17 PM

Go Lil Nas X!

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2019 3:40 PM

I’ve only heard of about three people on the Grammy list. And none of them deserve a Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2019 4:23 PM

I do like some of the genre nominations, because the Grammys still care about older artists. In the Country categories, for instance, Willie Nelson and Tanya Tucker were both nominated in the Best Country Solo Performance category, while Tanya and Reba were both nominated for Best Country Album

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2019 6:24 PM

Hope Bon Iver sweeps.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2019 6:51 PM

I don’t get the Lizzo love. Is it because she’s fat?

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2019 7:34 PM

Yup. There's no other reason. You've cracked it.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2019 8:46 PM

Yet more award nominations for Gaga. Brava!

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2019 9:02 PM

How did the A Star is Born soundtrack not getting an AOTY nom? It was the biggest album of the last year. And actually really good (for the most part).

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2019 7:21 AM

I hope Tanya Tucker wins Song of the Year.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2019 7:34 AM

Her tongue is as white as her teddy.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2019 7:37 AM

I'm lucky to have been born in 1960's. I heard Beatles played on the kitchen radio. Played Led Zepplin and Bee Gees on my children's record player. Was fully into New Wave. Heard mind blowing new music for decades before it all turned to shit mid 1990's. Fuck our garbage society today. Glad I'm old, and hope climate change wipes out humanity ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2019 7:40 AM

I'm lucky to have been born in 1960's. I heard Beatles played on the kitchen radio. Played Led Zepplin and Bee Gees on my children's record player. Was fully into New Wave. Heard mind blowing new music for decades before it all turned to shit mid 1990's. Fuck our garbage society today. Glad I'm old, and hope climate change wipes out humanity ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2019 7:40 AM

[quote]Fuck our garbage society today. Glad I'm old, and hope climate change wipes out humanity ASAP.

Seems like an extreme reaction to bad music.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2019 12:26 PM

I must be living under that rock I always say others are under.... I recognized the names of only a few.....

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2019 12:30 PM

What’s a Lizzo? Or a Billie Eilish? Are any of them really talented and worth listening to?

I’ve pretty much stopped listening to music in the past 2-3 years. Too many Lil Pumps, Lil Pimps, and Lil Pomps to keep up with.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2019 12:33 PM

R19, R20 you keep repeating yourself. Why?

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2019 12:34 PM

Lizzo is what’s hot right now. And her music is fun with a message.

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2019 2:32 PM

I do not wish to be part of this narrative.

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2019 2:56 PM

Disgusting. Almost all of these nominees need to be dunked in a tub of acid.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2019 3:01 PM

Almost all of them are better than Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2019 3:24 PM

I have to admit, I really like Billie. Now, she might get old fast if she keeps up the whisper singing, but for the moment? I'm a fan.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2019 3:34 PM

[quote]I don’t get the Lizzo love. Is it because she’s fat?

Basically, yes. She's 31, which is ancient in the music industry, so she's peaking with her first album.

Billie will peak by the time she's 20. Her teen angst persona won't really work once she's no longer a teen. And her style of emo whisper singing is going to get old really fast. Her brother is the real talent behind that duo, anyway.

Lil Nas X's album of the year nomination is a joke. His album was the worst reviewed of the year. It only has a meteoritic score of 57. He's a fad.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2019 3:51 PM

I take great pride in not knowing a single song from most of these "artists".

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2019 4:02 PM

I'm 57 and my opinion is that Lizzo (from the songs I've heard) is talented and entertaining, but in a different era she would have been one talented person among many and she certainly wouldn't have gotten any Grammy nominations.

For reference purposes, I have yet to hear any evidence that Taylor Swift has much talent at all.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2019 4:06 PM

Taylor Swift's fans are upset by her Grammy snub, and it causes them heart disease! Will they survive??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2019 4:09 PM

The woman on the right in OP's pic looks like Pennywise with one front tooth right in the middle. I realize she wants to use other big girls in her act, but holy hideous!

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2019 5:24 PM

Taylor Swift won many Grammys she did not deserve. So I am happy with all the snubs her past two albums have received.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2019 8:12 PM

Tanya Tucker is way more of a badass than Lizzo.

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2019 8:50 PM

Barbra Streisand nominated again for her hit album Walls.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2019 9:03 PM

I’m happy Lana Del Rey has finally a Best Album nomination. It’s been a long time coming, and has worked her ass off since touring since Born To Die and the subsequent SNL furore. For someone who sings with a person stage name and a “look” there is mercifully little artifice and gimmick to Lana’s music.

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2019 10:02 PM

Don't worry about who they are r24 as you will find them all in the cast of Harriet Tubman starring Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote] Lizzo gets eight nominations, including Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Album of the Year and Best New Artist.

Good comeback for her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2019 11:04 PM

Anyone else wishes Tyler the creator's 'IGOR' was nominated for AOTY rather than Lil Nas X's '7' - which was an EP anyway!?

Now I understand Gaga's 'The Fame Monster' was nominated for an AOTY despite being an EP but those songs were a huge turning point for pop culture - so it's nomination was reasonable at the time. This guy is just riding Old Town Road's wave.

IGOR was levels ahead of 7 in every possible way.

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2019 4:06 AM

On that note :

1) Extremely happy for Lana - Normal fucking Rockwell deserves the nom (and imho deserves to win too)

2) Happy that Taylor Swift got snubbed - Lover was painfully mediocre whatsoever (I felt like I had already heard all the songs on lover, even on my first listen)

3) H. E. R. doesn't belong there - Her album was unremarkable and a huge step down from the first one, I would rather have Ella Mai (who is not my cup of tea btw but still superior to HER; also made a better album)

4) Thank you next for AOTY?! Seriously?! ! Ridiculous! My little niece (who is 10) could write better lyrics... The nomination is not deserved but considering Ariana's success earlier this year - I can understand why they nominated her. Still shouldn't win though - can you imagine what a joke Grammys will become?

5) Billie's nom makes sense, even if she's not your cup of tea- cohesive album, good production, lyrics weren't basic either, sold a lot.

6) GAGA IS CRYING RIGHT NOW GUYS!

7) Vampire Weekend - They are always great. Although their chances are miniscule, I still hope they win. More people need to listen to their music - you guys should try it too. They are not modern pop hacks.

8) Bon Iver - Might pull a Beck this year... And I won't mind.

by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2019 4:20 AM

I hope Lizzo wins Best New Artist so she can promptly succumb to the curse and disappear.

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2019 4:26 AM

Though The Fame Monster got an AOTY nod for its cultural significance than Lil Nas X qualifies. Being a black, gay rapper who challenged the Country establishment is singular. Ohio Kindergarteners moshing to a gay rapper!

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2019 4:49 AM

R44 In TFM era Gaga WAS a cultural phenomena but she had the music to back it up too. TFR EP as a whole was amazing! Lil Nas has only OTR.

For the record I am actually happy about OTR's nom for song of the year but his AOTY nom is just not it. The song was fun and kind of experimental, but the album was blah.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2019 5:07 AM

Lizzo's music and personality are fun but If Lizzo was a thin woman - she wouldn't be getting so much attention.

I do want her to win at grammys and I am interested in what she comes up with next.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2019 5:11 AM

I don't think Gaga is crying, R. She got an unexpected SOTY nom with maybe her best song. She wasn't winning AOTY regardless. She'll win the two lesser Grammys. And I think the ASIB soundtrack is nearing 6 million in WW SPS. That's Taylor/Adele numbers. Actually better than Taylor. She's doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2019 6:18 AM

Lizzo is fun enough, but award-winning talent?

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2019 6:22 AM

R, I love Bon Iver and hope he wins. If not, Lana's NFR is insanely good.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2019 6:25 AM

Lol, Lil Nas only got showered with Grammy love because he came out as gay, He would have been forgotten like the rest of the Lil's (Pump, Tecca, etc.) if it wasn't for that fact.

Harsh but true.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2019 7:21 AM

LDR all day. I like Lizzo. For best new artist. Tanya Tucker better get the rewards the CMA didn't even nominate her for. WTF was that about? Her album is stellar. Important. Gorgeous. A legacy. She's up for 4 awards and I expect her to win three of them. She's a badass outlaw if ever there was one. A legend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2019 8:00 AM

Nas X isn’t gonna be forgotten. He is Country.

You all realize A Star Is Born was nominated at the beginning of this year, no? That is why it wasn’t nominated for the 2020 awards, they were for 2019.

by Anonymousreply 52November 22, 2019 8:05 AM

I think Lizzo is entertaining, but she’s the epitome of “one-trick pony”.

by Anonymousreply 53November 22, 2019 10:55 AM

[quote]I think Lizzo is entertaining, but she’s the epitome of “one-trick pony”.

We'll see. The next album is crucial for her -- will she lean in to her talent (I do think she has some) or will she fall back on the schtick?

by Anonymousreply 54November 22, 2019 11:41 AM

R54, I’d like her to be more, because I like her. Can see her having a Cher-like career.

My kid was watching YouTube videos of different Lizzo appearances and it was the same thing over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 55November 22, 2019 12:38 PM

I was sad to see that Hozier wasn’t nominated for anything. I my opinion, Wasteland, Baby! was one of the best albums of 2019. Sad to see so many people slept on it.

by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2019 1:24 PM

Lizzo, Billie Eilish, Lil Nas X, Lana Del Ray.

Puke, puke, puke, and puke.

by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2019 1:43 PM

R47 Isn't her new album ready but Gaga has been waiting all year so ASIB won't have to compete with it for AOTY?

R48 Look at the people she is up against - Wouldn't you rather have her win than them? Besides I am very interested in seeing her sophomore album and if she wins big here, she might get more creative control over it.

R52 Only Shallow was released before the deadline for last Grammys. The album was released after, hence it is eligible this time.

Hozier is always overlooked by award ceremonies :( He is VERY low-key and never campaigns for anything.

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2019 4:07 PM

I loved Bon Iver's first two and then he got a little too cute and precious. Too many effects too.

by Anonymousreply 59November 22, 2019 4:09 PM

ASIB was released in 2018. It’s been a long time. No one cares about it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2019 4:10 PM

Lizzo is a flash in the pan. A very obese pan.

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2019 12:53 AM

Cyndi Lauper was a flash in the pan too. She never had any hits after her first album. Kim Carnes - gross. Old white men are attached to some failed singers from the 1980s. Lots of people are flashes in pans R61. Lizzo is aiight. Some here still deny Lana Del Rey's artistry. And she's fucking amazing.

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2019 1:29 AM

They have a reinforced stage, right?

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2019 1:35 AM

It's going to be a repeat of 1996, when they gave AOTY to indie-girl Alanis Morissette over 5-octave diva Mariah Carey. Except this year, the indie-girl is Billie and the 5-octave diva is Ariana. And like Alanis, Billie will probably peak at her first Grammys.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2019 1:35 AM

That Merry Widow she's wearing must have been made by the same company that made the tents for the Ringling Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2019 1:49 AM

They’re not going to give any major awards to the fatty.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2019 3:07 AM

^ Has there been a more stupid post? Not on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2019 3:20 AM

How the fuck does Lizzo get to have a best new artist nomination when Whitney Houston was disqualified for a duet she did with Teddy Pendergrass a year before her debut album.

by Anonymousreply 68December 12, 2019 8:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!