Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m 44 and this year I developed eczema!

I have patches behind my ears, in my ears, on my chin, eyebrows, inner left thigh and lower back. The itching is crazy! I’ve literally scratched skin off. I never knew how itchy it was. I also can’t believe that I just developed it.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2019 9:08 AM

Go to a dermatologist.

There are many non-steroidal versions of prescriptions. Also, be sure to test whether you prefer ointment, gel, or cream - most come in all three forms. The steroids are good for a few days, but long-term use is not good. Finally, water is not eczema's friend. Definitely avoid all soaps. Use Cetaphil or something similar.

Do not use regular lotions dry skin topical treatments - they make it worse.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2019 3:17 AM

You have the plague.

Or possibly leprosy.

Regardless, please cover yourself so that we don't have to gaze upon your hideousness.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2019 3:17 AM

How much are you drinking, OP?

Discoid eczema — which often develops in adulthood — is associated with heavy alcohol use.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2019 3:21 AM

Use this on your body and face as soon as you get out of the shower. Don't towel off, put it directly on dripping wet skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2019 3:23 AM

Go to a dermatologist.

CeraVe is a very good moisturizer, but in my experience it won't clear up recalcitrant eczema on its own. And yours is pretty widespread.

You might need a corticosteroid like clobetasol cream or foam, followed by a moisturizer like CeraVe.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2019 3:29 AM

It’s HERPES!

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2019 3:30 AM

GQ put this in their Grooming Awards this year for eczema treatment, FWIW, so it might be worth trying:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2019 3:32 AM

As we age, we are going develop some medical issues. It's just part of life. We must remember that what is truly important is eternal life with the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2019 3:56 AM

Go to a dermatologist?

And listen to R4.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2019 3:56 AM

Eczema can be activated by stress. Has something changed in your life recently to make you anxious? One of the unexpected benefits of going on an antidepressant was that it cleared my eczema. I internalized all my stress, and it wrecked my skin.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2019 4:44 AM

Make sure that it really is eczema and not psoriasis. They are not the same, and the treatment for one will not work for the other and might make it worse. I get eczema in small patches during the coldest and driest part of the winter. Heating your house to too high a temperature in winter will turn into something drier than the Sahara desert. Turn down the heat, take shorter showers with warm, not hot water, and moisturize after every shower. Use a moisturizing soap, like Dove or Oil of Olay. Put pans of water around your house near heat sources to evaporate and add some additional moisture into the house. Pray for spring.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2019 8:58 AM

I had stress-based eczema last year. It was awful. Apart from the necessary medications, this incredibly cheap thing worked MIRACLES on my itchy, patchy skin - glycerine. Just simple, pure, cheap glycerine from the pharmacy. It made all the difference in the world after just one day. Like someone upthread recommended, put in on moist skin after showering (and no scented soaps! My dermatologist prescribed the Eucerine Ph-balanced soap for sensitive skin).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2019 9:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!