Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Campbell Scott: Why Didn't It Ever Really Happen For Him?

He did happen--but not really. He's 58 now and does some TV, voiceover work, and once in a blue moon, some theatre. (He's playing Scrooge in some NYC production of A CHRISTMAS CAROL right now.)

But back in the early 90s, he was as good looking, talented, and promising as the best of his peers, the heir to an acting dynasty (George C Scott and Colleen Dewhurst). He starred in big projects for a short while: THE SHELTERING SKY, LONGTIME COMPANION, DEAD AGAIN, DYING YOUNG, & SINGLES. He was memorable as Jennifer Jason Leigh's object of affection in MRS. PARKER AND THE VICIOUS CIRCLE. Then, suddenly, a much lower profile with a long run of indie movies until washing up in TV guest appearances.

Did he not want stardom enough? Why has he stayed in the business this long? Would his legendary parents be disappointed if they were alive to follow his career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 10, 2019 11:50 AM

More recent pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2019 3:03 AM

Because it didn't happen.

The End.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2019 3:04 AM

Counterpoint: who cares?

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2019 3:06 AM

What’s the story on him and Patty Clarkson?

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2019 3:06 AM

in roger dodger he was SO FUCKING hot

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2019 3:08 AM

also, the Good Dentist

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2019 3:09 AM

He was cute, but as an actor he was a little bland.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2019 3:12 AM

Was he ever naked in anything?

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2019 3:12 AM

At least his career is the equivalent of his mother's.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2019 3:20 AM

Who IS that in that first photo - k. d. lang?

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2019 3:22 AM

Colleen Dewhurst was a renowned stage actress who won two Tony Awards and four Emmy Awards for her stage and television work.

Campbell doesn't even come close.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2019 3:24 AM

What is your point OP? He is a working actor that many would envy his career. If you look at the list very few actors become superstars.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2019 3:26 AM

He showed his NAKED ass in Long Time Companion.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2019 3:41 AM

I agree OP. For his courage in playing gay, I wished him success. At a time when it could have killed a career. Fortunately not that many non-gay people saw Longtime Companion,

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2019 3:53 AM

I seem to recall he also flashed ass in that movie with Julia Roberts where he’s dying of AIDS. Dying Young, had to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2019 4:02 AM

He did the audio book for Stephen King's The Shining and his voice put me right to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2019 4:14 AM

He’s a terrific actor - should have gotten more work than some of his mediocre contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2019 4:15 AM

I agree. Again, see roger dodger, he and Isabella Rossellini are incredible together

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2019 12:32 PM

[quote]Fortunately not that many non-gay people saw Longtime Companion.

Fortunately?

[quote]I seem to recall he also flashed ass in that movie with Julia Roberts where he’s dying of AIDS.

Wasn't it leukemia?

[quote]his voice put me right to sleep.

That may have been the issue.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2019 1:20 PM

Oh nepotism. That explains why I even saw him in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2019 1:25 PM

Because he consistently ignored chest day. He had nice fur going on but it just sat on an uncultivated piece of land.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2019 1:32 PM

My husband took piano lessons with him when they were kids. He said he was whinny and stand-offish.

His mother would chat with Colleen while waiting for the lessons to be over.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2019 1:56 PM

Make that "whiny." He wasn't a horse!!

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2019 1:58 PM

The most important question is: GAY or straight?

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2019 2:09 PM

R24 straight. He read the lead in a play I wrote for an audition reading in NYC. He was terrific. I've always wondered what happened to him. I say "straight" because at the time (90s), a male actor mentioned to me that if a man was good-looking, straight and could act, Hollywood would throw the doors open to them. A straight ticket in. This actor then added, AND if you're George C Scott's son it's a triple ticket.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2019 2:17 PM

I love the movie The Daytrippers.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 2:42 PM

Me too. An excellent actor

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2019 9:31 PM

He was never hot, despite having a hot white guy name.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2019 11:05 PM

He was completely nude in the play Pericles. I would have gone back to see it again but it was such a bore. I always found him incredibly attractive from when I first saw him in Hay Fever with Rosemary Harris. Never had a problem playing gay as you can see as well in The Dying Gaul. Always wondered as well as to why he didn't have a more high profile career. Incredibly cute and now a handsome mature man, good actor, straight to a TV or movie producers relief and from a theatrical royal family. Maybe it was his choice? I can't think of anything else.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2019 12:25 AM

His dad had much more talent than him. George C. Scott was a recast in The Exorcist 3, and he was much more interesting as Kinderman than Lee J. Cobb was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2019 12:48 AM

But though somewhat noble looking George was never in the least bit cute let alone handsome. Did anyone ever fantasize about him? Outside of Ava Gardner? Never liked him on film for some reason. I think he's trying too hard to be funny in Strangelove.

However I've found him wonderful on stage in Salesman. And surprisingly in Present Laughter.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2019 1:13 AM

Don't know why the DL can't seem to grasp that every actor on the planet is not trying to be Tom Cruise Campbell Scott is a well known working actor. Success as an actor is defined by how good you are, not by how universally appealing you are. Does anyone think Tom Cruise is a better actor than Campbell Scott? Of course not. If they both came of age in the70s as opposed to the 80s, Scott might have been a huge star. Tastes change by the decade.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2019 1:52 AM

I still would. Loved his character in Singles, one of my childhood crushes.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2019 1:52 AM

He had his dad's nose.

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2019 1:53 AM

He sounded great in Roger Dodger but I couldn’t see him! That was one of the darkest movies I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2019 3:19 AM

what does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2019 3:42 AM

[quote]He was completely nude in the play Pericles.

Yes...and???

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2019 4:15 AM

I would have loved to have seen that

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2019 1:34 PM

To make it big in this town, a young male actor has to give up his his ass. To agents, directors, producers, whomever. Just letting them suck your cock isn't going to cut it. You have to give up your ass and it better be drum tight or you're out the door. Sadly, Mr. Scott thought he was above all that and look where it got him.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2019 2:01 PM

I'd much, [italic]much[/italic], [italic]MUCH[/ITALIC] rather suck a dick than fuck an ass. I guess that's why I don't rule Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2019 2:12 PM

I really doubt that Sam Waterston gave up his ass to anyone and yet has while not a super star has had more than a respectable career. I kind of put Scott in his category. Yet Waterston has had a more successful film career and a big TV hit. Scott had none of that. Dying Young from what I remember was a chick flick weepy which wasn't a big Julia Roberts hit and Singles and Roger Dodger weren't hugely successful. Or at the most Singles was modestly so.

Yes he was wonderful completely nude in Pericles coming out of the ocean after what I believe was a shipwreck. It's been so long ago and I've never read the play so I think that's what happened. Anyway my friend turned to me and said that the ocean must have been very cold. I've never been a size queen so I thought he was average and fine.

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2019 2:26 PM

He was creepy looking that's why

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2019 2:27 PM

I am friendly with him and his family. He didn't make it bigger because fame isn't really something he ever wanted. He likes the work, not the celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2019 2:31 PM

[quote]He did the audio book for Stephen King's The Shining and his voice put me right to sleep.

I liked it. He has a great voice. I also liked his narration of Annie Proulx's Brokeback Mountain.

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2019 2:32 PM

I really liked the Spanish prisoner. Cant believe nobody has mentioned it. Might have been because I was younger when I saw it, but I thought it was the best movie ever then. I probably picked up the tape because Steve Martin was in it. Which makes me want to say "I was returning some video tapes" [unrelated]

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2019 2:40 PM

R43 What is he like? I assume he is friendly and charismatic yet low key.

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2019 2:41 PM

He's bland, generic, and mediocre.

His acting is as interesting as "white bread with mayonnaise".

by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2019 2:59 PM

R46 my experiences with him is that he's reserved, nice enough, a little aloof.

I'm closer with others in his family.

by Anonymousreply 48November 21, 2019 3:01 PM

I loved George C. Scott in the film "Hardcore".

FYI: Warren Beatty was the studio's first choice for the George C. Scott part in "Hardcore".

by Anonymousreply 49November 21, 2019 3:10 PM

He’s the Everyman Andy

by Anonymousreply 50November 21, 2019 5:31 PM

I guess if I ever happen to bump into him I shouldn't ask him how his father managed to avoid being roughed up by Frank Sinatra's pals.

by Anonymousreply 51November 21, 2019 7:25 PM

I guess he followed the same fate at Eric Thal (who IMO is way hotter) he was in that Hasidic Jewish movie with Melanie Griffith, the gun in Betty Lou's handbag with Penelope Ann Miller, and the puppet Masters where he shows off his nice tight ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2019 7:44 PM

I wish that he were my lover

by Anonymousreply 53November 22, 2019 12:43 AM

Whenever I'm at the supermarket, I usually pick up a can or two of Campbell's Scott.

by Anonymousreply 54November 22, 2019 5:16 PM

I pick up naomi campbell's

by Anonymousreply 55November 22, 2019 5:39 PM

OP, because he was so ordinary looking.

by Anonymousreply 56December 7, 2019 4:16 PM

I bet he is comfortably well off due to his father's career. George C probably did very well starting with things like The Bible and then Patton turned him into a top star. If that money was well invested it became a very tidy sum. Therefore Campbell can afford to do what he likes when he likes. I can't imagine he's made much with his indie film career and modest stage work.

by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2019 4:44 PM

With George C. Scott being his dad and Colleen Dewhurst being his mom you just know that boy has a meaty thick cock!

by Anonymousreply 58December 7, 2019 4:49 PM

Well I saw him completely nude in Pericles as I stated above and it was not meaty and thick but it was fine and he had as you'd expect a beautiful body.

by Anonymousreply 59December 7, 2019 4:52 PM

Character actor trapped in a leading man/classically handsome actor's body.

by Anonymousreply 60December 7, 2019 4:59 PM

Worked with him in Dying Young, European name change to Choices of Love. Scott was extremely nice to me, friendly, very down-to-Earth, warm, flirtatious. Director commented that we had better chemistry together than he did with JR. Oops. Wrong person to accidentally antagonize.

by Anonymousreply 61December 7, 2019 5:19 PM

A low r61.

by Anonymousreply 62December 7, 2019 5:24 PM

R61 are you a man or a woman?

by Anonymousreply 63December 7, 2019 5:44 PM

R63, I'm definitely extremely female. It was clear even to very naive me that the director had a thing with Campbell Scott. A far more aware, astute and experienced actor years later said that I "should have taken advantage of opportunities presented to me at the time." I was always unable to tell the difference between a naturally charming, flirtatious actor and something more.

by Anonymousreply 64December 7, 2019 6:04 PM

R60 nailed it. That and he probably has choices.

by Anonymousreply 65December 7, 2019 6:27 PM

Straight! Well I still like him.

by Anonymousreply 66December 7, 2019 7:04 PM

he had a small part in "The Chaperone" 2018, playing an early 20c small town lawyer, husband to Ellen McGovern's character. He was doing the downlow homosex with a colleague and she caught them in flagrante delecto

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 7, 2019 7:11 PM

I wonder if Patricia Clarkson ever licked his hairy hole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 7, 2019 7:15 PM

Wait r64, are you saying Joel Schumacher and Campbell Scott we’re sleeping together when making Dying Young?

by Anonymousreply 69December 7, 2019 7:17 PM

Joel Schumacher is gay?

Well Scott certainly is comfortable making love to a man on screen. And along with Roger Dodger he's a pretty fearless actor.

by Anonymousreply 70December 7, 2019 7:20 PM

R66, I don't believe he's 100% straight.

by Anonymousreply 71December 7, 2019 7:28 PM

R59, So I've been told. The director does have a certain reputation. He's very controlling but was super nice to me. Then again he liked my work.

by Anonymousreply 72December 7, 2019 7:30 PM

Joel Schumacher has been out and openly gay his whole career.

by Anonymousreply 73December 7, 2019 8:45 PM

So that's why we got to see Scott's beautiful ass in Dying Young. Joel pulled a Zeffirelli.

by Anonymousreply 74December 7, 2019 8:58 PM

[quote] I don't believe he's 100% straight.

Very few actors are.

Most have had at least a level of exploration. It doesn't mean they're gay by any stretch, but between the willingness to explore an idea and the kind of narcissism required to be on stage, many an otherwise straight actor has explored w/other guys in his cast(s).

by Anonymousreply 75December 7, 2019 11:16 PM

R74-We also see Scott's beautiful ass-briefly in Longtime Companion.

by Anonymousreply 76December 8, 2019 12:15 AM

was it real, or was it memorex?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 8, 2019 12:29 AM

That’s a spankable ass

by Anonymousreply 78December 8, 2019 2:19 AM

I'll say, R78!

by Anonymousreply 79December 8, 2019 2:37 AM

Unfortunately he REEKS. The smell of fecal matter and Andre sparkling wine has been described as “overpowering” and “ghastly ... like a drunk drowned in a high school septic tank.”

by Anonymousreply 80December 8, 2019 2:54 AM

I haven't seen much of his work, but I thought he was good in "Longtime Companion." I guess the movie with Julia Roberts ("Dying Young") was supposed to make him a star but didn't. Oh well. He's gotten a lot of work. I don't think he's done too bad.

by Anonymousreply 81December 8, 2019 2:55 AM

R81, Love Story also had a very sad ending but the leads had a lot of physical chemistry. Plus there was a lot of saucy dialog through most of the film.

by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2019 3:02 AM

He’s a sexy guy

by Anonymousreply 83December 8, 2019 6:25 PM

He was great in a supporting role in "The Chaperone" 2018.

by Anonymousreply 84December 9, 2019 4:30 PM

I think our "extremely female" actress who got on Julia Roberts's bad side is actually just Davida.

by Anonymousreply 85December 9, 2019 5:20 PM

It's not too late for Campbell!

by Anonymousreply 86December 9, 2019 5:39 PM

R*5 - Who the hell is Davida?

by Anonymousreply 87December 9, 2019 7:35 PM

so young are you?

in a gadda

by Anonymousreply 88December 9, 2019 8:11 PM

op, he is a successful actor. That happened. How many more of these ridiculous threads are you going to start about various successful people in the entertainment business? What are you getting out of it? Just put yourself out there and do the best you can. Making yourself feel better by diminishing the success of others won't be satisfying long term.

by Anonymousreply 89December 10, 2019 12:46 AM

lol, at least his career isn't going "right in the shitter" like so many others or "demised" as poor KD

by Anonymousreply 90December 10, 2019 1:28 AM

Not someone who could carry a film on his own and probably less range than either of his parents, but talented nonetheless. An ensemble or supporting player--always reliable, always relatable. His voice work has probably has been lucrative enough that he can pick and choose his on-camera roles. Probably fewer with age, but he hasn't disappeared yet.

by Anonymousreply 91December 10, 2019 1:32 AM

He looked too much like Kyle McLachlan, who lucked out with Dune, Blue Velvet, and

✨✨SHOWGIRLS✨✨

by Anonymousreply 92December 10, 2019 9:53 AM

[quote]He looked too much like Kyle McLachlan

Seriously? Can you see with those eyes? I mean, really, see?

by Anonymousreply 93December 10, 2019 10:14 AM

I thought he died young?

by Anonymousreply 94December 10, 2019 10:22 AM

R93

You might be thinking of Tom McBride who died at 42 (ok not that young, but not old either).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 10, 2019 11:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!