Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Elton John Hit From The Eighties

There was a recent thread about Donna Summer's best song from the Eighties. Like Donna, Elton John had his biggest success in the Seventies, but still had a huge amount of hits in the following decade (and of course, he had all-time biggest hit in the Nineties). What was your favorite Elton record from the Eighties?

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2019 9:39 PM

Sad Songs and Nikita are his two best from the 80s. It's a shame he rarely performs them.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2019 12:48 AM

I should have included "Sacrifice" as well. Though only a moderate hit in the US, it was Elton's first No. 1 song in his native England.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2019 2:25 AM

"Blue Eyes" is a hugely underrated song. As good as his best '70s hits.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2019 2:43 AM

I’m Still Standing may be overrated but it’s like crack to your ears. Anytime I hear it, no matter where I am or what’s going on with me at the time, it instantly cheers me up.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2019 1:07 PM

Elton's version of Sacrifice is fantastic but the version by Sinead is wonderful, too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2019 1:47 PM

It may be unpopular to say, but this is probably my favorite period of Elton's career.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2019 4:34 PM

"I'm Still Standing" mainly because of all the beautiful, scantily clad men in the video.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2019 4:45 PM

[quote]"Blue Eyes" is a hugely underrated song. As good as his best '70s hits.

I like it a lot, I always wondered why it wasn't more popular.

[quote]I should have included "Sacrifice" as well. Though only a moderate hit in the US, it was Elton's first No. 1 song in his native England.

This puzzled me, because I always associate it with the summer of 1990, but apparently it was first released in October 1989 and then May 1990.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2019 4:47 PM

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues has been a favorite of mine since I first heard it. To this day it still takes me back to that time but in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2019 6:14 PM

I'm a fan of just about everything EJ has released. I even made a 10-CD collection of a ton of his stuff.

Without a doubt, my favorite EJ song from the 1980s is Empty Garden (Hey, Hey Johnny) from "Jump Up" released in 1982.

I like the message (a tribute to John Lennon) and the sound of the song.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2019 9:53 AM

Whoever is voting for “I Guess That’s Why They Call it the Blues”- you’re bimbos. That’s all I have to say about that.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2019 11:22 AM

All garbage...he really was in decline in the 80's

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2019 11:56 AM

R12 = Billy Joel

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2019 12:08 PM

Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2019 12:18 PM

His two biggest songs in the 80s were "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That" (peaked at #2) and "Little Jeannie" (stayed in the top 40 forever). Yet they're the bottom picks in the poll...strange.

I really love "Empty Garden". It seems much more heartfelt than either Paul McCartney or George Harrison's Lennon tributes.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2019 12:58 AM

I like "Nikita" - gorgeous chord progressions. But all the straights were stupid to think he was singing about a woman, tacky video notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2019 1:59 AM

I wouldn't know. Elton John is dead to me, and so is his music.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2019 2:03 AM

Musical snobs like to dismiss EJ's later output but his 80s and 90s stuff is very good. Watching the Lion King remake was such a hollow experience and makes you realize how much he contributed to the original soundtrack. I know he did El Dorado which was underrated but I wish EJ worked more in movies. Believe is a great song and is a contender for best live performance when he performs it in concerts.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2019 6:26 PM

I'm Still Standing is my theme song

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2019 6:27 PM

It's not good. It's schlocky garbage. If you like this shit you are basic and possibly a frau.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2019 9:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!