Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HRC Hiring

“We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply.“

I came across HRC job posting while I was on Glassdoor looking at others today and I was struck by that language at the top of their ads. There’s a very strong anti-trans sentiment here on DL and among some gay men, I know, and I don’t share that sentiment. I do believe that everyone should be treated equally and benefit from equal rights.

Still, I am really struck that all of their job postings lead with preferential application bias for “people of color, transgender and non-binary people.” I am a gay white guy, 41 years old, and the advent of the gay rights movement and of HRC were notable and significant to my comfort level with my sexuality. It’s alienating to look at that and see that by virtue of being a white gay man, it appears that the organization would have a bias against me.

I mean, damn.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 11:41 PM

Barf

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 11:02 PM

Oh well. I guess it’s not an organization for gay people any longer. Times change. Moving on.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 11:19 PM

[quote]I guess it’s not an organization for gay people any longer.

Sounds like your definition of gay people is limited to gay white men.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 11:28 PM

R3 It’s not. What I meant to express is, “I guess it’s not an organization for certain gay people any longer,” or, more to the point, “I guess it’s explicitly exclusionary in its diversity and inclusivity now.”

I’ve don’t engage anti-trans and racist people here. I don’t like them or their views. I posted this because it is striking to me that an organization and a movement that were founded to embrace diversity in all its meanings now seem to have evolved to understand diversity to mean all people who belong to ethnic and gender minorities and no people who do not. I believe in the tenets of equity (advancing people who are marginalized) and equality (treating people the same as one another). I am frankly confused by the notions that those tenets have come to mean inverting the discrimination paradigm rather than opening up all opportunities to all people. That’s all. It’s just a strange thing to incorporate into my own worldview paradigm, but these are strange times.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 11:36 PM

I strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to take my place as a donor to this organization.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 11:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!