Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How hard is it to transition a dog from sleeping in your bed to sleeping alone outdoors?

Anyone ever done it?

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2019 7:39 PM

why exactly are you trying to force your companion animal to live outside? how about YOU sleep outside if one of you mist?

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 7:57 PM

I read the beginning of your post title and thought "How hard is it to transition a dog....." and I thought, "to what? A fucking cat? What!? This "transitioning business has all gone too far"

Then I realized you were just a dick.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 8:04 PM

R1 are you for real? Plenty of people keep their dogs outdoors. I would even venture to say that up until modern times, all dogs were kept outside of the house as guard dogs.

People may regard dogs as 4-legged offspring now, but that wasn't always the case.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 8:05 PM

One minute.

Toss a snausage out the open door.

Close and lock said door.

Done.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 8:06 PM

I am very serious. and we now call those people assholes. we used to do lots of disgusting and primitive things.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 8:06 PM

R1/R5 must live in NYC, SF or somewhere in Oregon.

In the real world, plenty of people keep dogs outside (and the dogs prefer it).

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2019 8:11 PM

I don't even understand why, so I can't even respond. I can understand needing to sleep in another room, but to put a pooch who's been sleeping in your bed outdoors seems too extreme.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2019 8:11 PM

“...transition a dog from sleeping in your bed to sleeping alone outdoors?”

It sure took you long enough Mrs Trump.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2019 8:17 PM

OP, give your dog to someone who will love him.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2019 8:20 PM

Ew. Mean.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 8:20 PM

Just call the pup zir.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2019 8:44 PM

It's easy. The dog can still enjoy your bed; you can sleep alone outdoors.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2019 8:47 PM

No domesticated dog likes sleeping outdoors, especially if they've been socialized to being inside with the pack. Dogs need a feeling of safety as much as we do. Train your dog to a bed in a specific room but not outdoors, alone. Very cruel you are, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2019 8:58 PM

You sound like such an asshole the dog will probably be glad to get away from you.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2019 8:59 PM

I would have rated this 0/10, but you have gotten a few bites.

So, 1/10.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2019 9:04 PM

OP is a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2019 9:04 PM

Look, I'm a cat person, not a dog person. But I've had a couple of dogs growing up, and my brother has only had dogs, and I've bonded with all his dogs, and I'm the only person he trusts to watch after them if he has to go away. When they've stayed with me, they've slept with me, because they sleep with my brother. It feels a little odd, but I can't imagine the alternative.

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 9:06 PM

I will respond nicely now and just say, the correct thing to do if you can no longer have your dog sleep in your bed as he has become accustomed to is to get a big crate and crate train him for night-time.

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 9:07 PM

Easy. Grab him by the collar and put him out. It’s a dog ffs.

Feed him outside too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 9:10 PM

R you poor dog sleep outside in this cold?? You are a lowlife monster.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 9:13 PM

R18 , rescue-chick, Thank You. Dog and cat lovers aren't all that different. We're natural partners. I 'get' cats better, but I'm always a good friend to dogs, too, The people who love and care for animals are the best people on DL, and they make it easy to ignore some of the other people here, who probably just need a little kindness, too.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 9:15 PM

Two words, OP: FUCK.YOU.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 9:18 PM

Op is a Dick, as someone has already pointed out. I would report him for cruelty if I could.

Most dogs are not huskies and they should not sleepnoutside in these freezing tempatures. If someone shot and killed the wicked op, I would be Ok.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2019 9:19 PM

I'm reading this thread as my dog and I fight for the softer pillow, out of the half dozen on the bed. Can't imagine what's in your mind, man.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2019 12:47 AM

I’m going to assume this was posted just to get a reaction. How cruel.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2019 12:57 AM

OP's dog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 1:09 AM

To be clear, OP, you are a supreme asshole!

Give the dog away to someone who understands canines. Otherwise, I am going to transition YOU with a kitchen knife.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2019 1:25 AM

I feel bad for the dog. It won’t understand the separation. It’s awfully mean.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2019 1:45 AM

How hard is it to transition an OP to non-existence? Oh yeah, easy. Block.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2019 2:15 AM

OP is a jerk!

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2019 2:36 AM

You should never be allowed to have a dog, you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2019 2:37 AM

It'll go about like this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2019 2:40 AM

Dogs can be responsible for humans experiencing bad sleeping patterns that can actually impact health in a very negative way.

If a dog is disturbing your sleep, the recommendation is to teach the dog to sleep in his own doggie bed in your bedroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2019 2:47 AM

You've got to take it slow. Take a bed out there and sleep with him outside for awhile. This might be a hard adjustment for him, so I recommend starting out by letting him sleep inside while you are outside for awhile. It could take many months but he will decide he wants to sleep outside with you. Eventually after a few years, you can sneak inside after he has fallen asleep. Then maybe 5 years down the road or so, he will have no problem sleeping outside by himself.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2019 2:48 AM

Outdoors? Ugh. Are you in the south?

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2019 2:49 AM

Get a size appropriate dog bed and fold/fit an old blanket to it for extra padding. Place it in the corner of your room. That's plenty of transition from your bed OP. Anything more is cruel to your pup. Remember why you got him in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2019 3:01 AM

OP, if the reason you want to move your dog outside is because your new boyfriend dislikes your dog, I suggest you move your boyfriend outside.

You can transition your dog from your bed to a comfortable dog bed in your room, but to banish him to the outdoors is unnecessary and cruel. Dogs want to be with their people.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2019 3:01 AM

Op's dog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2019 3:06 AM

R29 good riddance, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2019 4:46 AM

To R2, R14, R16, R20, R22, R23, R27, and R30—suck my cock, you don't know my situation or my reasons.

For all you know, my dog might be an Alaskan Malamute, I live in Mobile, Alabama , and I just adopted multiple orphans who all suffer from severe dog allergies.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2019 4:52 AM

I actually don't care about orphans (unless they are from darfur).

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2019 4:58 AM

You don’t deserve a dog, OP. You are a miserable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2019 5:02 AM

I don't have a dog but have a cat. In the beginning (for about 2 weeks) he was banned from being in the bedroom at night. That didn't last. He's slept on the bed every night for the last 4 years. If he gets up to prowl and I notice he's missing I can't sleep right. He must have trained me to be dependent on him. Cats do shit like that!

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2019 5:07 AM

[quote] For all you know...

That's the point. For all we know. You're withholding information that could make you situation at least understandable, and then you feign surprise when people assume the worst. I'm not saying you're a troll, but that's certainly the behavior of someone trolling for an exaggerated response. Li'l bit, li'l bit.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2019 5:13 AM

We’re approaching winter now, not the best time for this change. A dog bed outside your bedroom is the most I would do, but your dog will no doubt think he’s being punished. Make changes in steps with a lot of love and reassurance directed at him. What were you thinking when you allowed him in your bed in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2019 5:32 AM

Open the door and put the dog out, it's simple as that. Dogs don't have human emotions, they don't need to sleep with their masters, in fact it will probably enjoy being outside rather than placating it's master by staying quiet while you sleep.

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2019 5:40 AM

Never had dogs but I have cats and one of the perks is cuddling up in bed at night to sleep.

I lost one of my cats about 2 months ago due to age and a failing liver but I used to sleep on my left side and he would stretch out and sleep right against my back...pure heaven!

by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2019 5:54 AM

R46, if I did that, my dog work bark to be let in, and scratch-up the door, too. He wouldn’t stop barking, too.

OP, I don’t think you can do it. Your dog will always be miserable. You could buy a doggie bed, and put it on the floor in your bedroom. Try to train him to use that. Dogs really want to sleep in the same room as their master.

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2019 5:54 AM

Because your dog is a whinny, needy bitch because you made him one. Try a muzzle.

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2019 6:06 AM

you're a fucking asshole, OP

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2019 6:15 AM

Unless you have a huskiest you do not keep a dog outside in fridges tempatures. Assholes like the jerks here, should be kept outside...lowlife, fucking Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2019 6:20 AM

So many deranged people on this thread, such as R27. I don't have any advice for you, OP, but I support you. R33's post seems like a good first step. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2019 7:47 AM

This thread makes me very sad. What I wouldn't do or give to have just another night with my old dog....I think you should re-home your dog.

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2019 8:22 AM

My family dog used to sleep on the floor on my father’s side of the bed. Every morning, the kids would tiptoe into my parent’s bedroom to get lunch money, and with each step, the dog would growl louder and louder, despite knowing it was just us. He still felt he had to protect my parents. He could have slept anywhere, but he wanted to sleep in their room. And he knew my father was top dog. He was a German Shepard.

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2019 8:00 PM

OP, you should give your dog to r53.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2019 8:08 PM

Dogs have such a short life and you are all they know. Make him happy and let him sleep nice and warm in your room or at least inside the house.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2019 8:53 PM

Get some perspective you bunch of fucking idiots.

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2019 9:08 PM

When you sleep with a dog in your bed, there have to be RULES. And those rules must be OBEYED. I slept with my dog in a king size bed and required her to sleep at the BOTTOM of the bed near my feet, but not touching me. And she followed those rules perfectly.

Well, except every morning I would wake up and she had her head on the pillow opposite me, staring right at me.

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2019 9:10 PM

In a month, OP will post looking for suggestions on how to transition his new-found orphan flock to live in the backyard with the dog.

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2019 9:17 PM

Datalounge, where the majority would like to turn the homeless into Solyent Green, declares the OP to be subhuman for keeping his dog outside.

Animals deserve our love and respect, and we should all be vegetarian. It's remarkable that we can condemn chickens to the torment of battery farms, and cattle to cruelty of mass-production farms, and be horrified when dogs sleep outside, something that they prefer, in fact. It's disturbing to see the way that people are now coddling their pets: I think it has something to do with the animals dependence on the human and inability every to assert its independence from its owner. Dog and Cat love has really become a form of internalized fascism, in a society where care for other humans, as well as the environment, has collapsed.

Dogs are not children: they have thick coats and love to be outdoors, preferably with other dogs. This has been the case since their first domestication in Paleolithic times. If the temperature drops below zero, let the dog in to the basement or the mudroom.

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2019 9:28 PM

Or you know, we can also care about the homeless AND our dogs.

by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2019 9:34 PM

[quote] they have thick coats and love to be outdoors.

My dog does not have a thick coat. My dog prefers to be inside because he has the option to go in and out as he pleases.

Unless you have spoken to a pack of dogs at a convention or interviewed Rover and his friends, or done tests regarding this matter, kindly STFU.

by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2019 9:34 PM

This has to be a city vs county thing. I have never had an "inside" dog. Where I live, dogs live outside. Cats too. The dogs live in dog houses we have built, and the cats love the barn. It's a rural area and most people keep their animals outside.

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2019 9:35 PM

I grew up in deep country in a damned actual trailer. we were hella poor, had a coal stove for heating and got welfare. EVEN WE had our dogs sleep in the house. you damned heathens.

by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2019 9:37 PM

Build your dog a kennel. Decorate it with the usual frou frou you have indoors. He'll cry for a few nights. So? He'll just have to get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 65November 20, 2019 9:40 PM

My old dog used to like to sit on the porch, with his paws across the edge of the porch, in front of the steps. He could sit there all day. But once my Dad got home from work, he wanted to be wherever he was.

by Anonymousreply 66November 20, 2019 9:42 PM

Don't put your poor dog outside. They don't have to sleep in your bed, but they can sleep in another room.

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2019 9:42 PM

I have both a dog and two cats. The dog is always sleeping with me, the cats, well, they like to get up and play in the middle of the night. Anybody who believes that dogs prefer the outdoors just needs to see my dog on a really cold or rainy morning, the the way she sticks her nose outside the door and goes right back up the stairs if the weather is bad. I've gotten to the point where I can't sleep unless I know the dog is in the bed. She usually has to be touching me somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 68November 20, 2019 9:52 PM

My family dog used to push open my bedroom door every morning if I was sleeping late. He’d rub his face along the bed from foot to head, then he’d turn around, rub his face along the bed from head to foot. Then he’d leave. I think he ran all over the house making sure nobody died overnight.

by Anonymousreply 69November 20, 2019 10:12 PM

Huskies sleep in snow drifts. Wolves and coyotes sleep in the woods. Your Fifis can sleep outside too.

by Anonymousreply 70November 21, 2019 12:17 AM

People can sleep outside, too. On the ground, in caves. They have since "Paleolithic times."

by Anonymousreply 71November 21, 2019 12:31 AM

Or camping in "modern" Times.

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2019 12:43 AM

Left outside, dogs form neighborhood packs and roam the night, guarding and fucking and fighting. It's unnatural to deprive them of their pack instincts. Let your Fifi hang outside at night with Mitzi, Pixie and Brutus.

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2019 12:49 AM

OP, why not take your dog to a farm upstate, where he can make friends with the farm animals and run free?

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2019 1:38 AM

just for clarification. The fucking OP did NOT adopt a bunch of allergic orphans and the OP does NOT have a Malamute.

The op has scored some creepy boyfriend who doesn't like the dog. The wrath and judgement you are getting OP is well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2019 2:05 AM

Fuck all you assholes who claim that dogs "WANT" or "LIKE" to live outdoors. That is complete and utter bullshit and if you had two brain cells to rub together you'd know it. Or perhaps you're just sociopaths and don't give a shit. In either case, you don't deserve to have a dog.

by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2019 6:38 AM

Strap him to the roof of your car! They love it there!

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2019 12:02 PM

R76 has never owned a dog in her life

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2019 7:26 PM

My family’s dogs just slept on the floor. Occasionally, when he thought no one was looking, he’d climb on a chair, but jump off when he got caught. I think they like to pretend they’re a human.

Ever notice that, if you’ve trained a dog to ride in the backseat of a car, if you ever leave him in the car when you run into a store, when you return to the car, the dog is always sitting in the driver’s seat? He thought he was top dog, or human, for five minutes. I always though that was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2019 7:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!