Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Thinking about adopting two cats surrendered by an old lady

They are both about 10. Owner could no longer care for them. Shelter says no one is interested in them and they are “shutting down.”

I’ve never owned a cat.

Tell me what to do.

by Anonymousreply 502October 14, 2020 4:59 PM

Do itttt! I will answer all of your questions. And there are many here who would!

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 7:47 PM

Food water a scratching post a litter box cat beds and leave them alone until they get used to you.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 7:49 PM

Big Burlap sack, heavy rocks, river

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 7:50 PM

They're already familiar with each other, so you have to allow them time to get used to you and your house. One will almost certainly be a little more outgoing than the other. Try to find out what they're already eating, but try to offer them some choices to find out their tastes. Kittens are adorable, of course, but they can take a lot of energy. These two guys should be a little lower maintenance. Just remember to stay very calm with them, since they've been uprooted, and surprises are normally not welcome. And Yes, many people here will help you out.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 7:57 PM

They are going to team up and kill you.

Easier to fight off a single cat.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 7:58 PM

You'd better be expecting huge vet bills for the next 5-10 years if you get attached to them.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2019 8:00 PM

If you are going to do it- do it soon. Heavy stress on felines at that age can trigger medical problems/death.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2019 8:03 PM

You’re a good person OP

Cats like roast or stewed chicken. Try cooking chicken breast in a crock pot on high for about 2.5 - 3 hours. Shred the chicken while it’s still warm. Refrigerate the left overs. And watch your new cats come to you to eat out of your hand.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2019 8:05 PM

They almost certainly have feline HIV. Wear plastic gloves when petting them.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2019 8:06 PM

R9 is an ignorant fool.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 8:07 PM

Right now, they need you. It won't be long before you realize you need them, too.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2019 8:08 PM

R9 is full of shit.

FIV and HIV are both lentiviruses. However, humans cannot be infected by FIV, nor can cats be infected by HIV.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2019 8:09 PM

You should adopt the old woman, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2019 8:10 PM

ask if you can foster them for a month. that way you give them a few weeks to acclimate and see if they have health issues and have the safety net of advice from the shelter.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2019 8:11 PM

Thanks, r-c. Would a shelter let a novice owner be a foster?

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2019 8:13 PM

You are wonderful, OP. Give them time to adjust to you and a new home. It my take a day, a week or longer, but once they get settled, they will offer you nothing but love and appreciation.

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2019 8:14 PM

If these cats lived with her since kitten hood and have always been house cats rather than outdoors, they are probably in good health

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 8:14 PM

Save them OP! I too recently acquired some cats. Someone put out a female cat in front of my house a few months ago. I noticed her a few times and then all of a sudden I started seeing her on the side of the road with 5 or 6 very young kittens. Then I knew why some asshole had dumped her. She was pregnant and they didn't want to deal with it. A few weeks later she showed up at my house with 2 kittens. I have no idea what happened to the other kittens. But they were obviously hungry and I went out and bought some cat food and started feeding them. Now they've decided they're mine. I haven't had pets in a long time and have vowed not to get any more because at my age I'm afraid what will happen to them when I die. But no way could I take them to the Humane Society. I know exactly what would happen to them. And I've fallen in love with them, especially the little daughter. She's my cuddle bunny now. The little boy, a quite handsome tuxedo cat took weeks before I could get him to allow me to even touch him. The mother is a sweetheart too

But soon I have to pick up sticks and leave here. I'm at a summer house. If I can't find a new forever home for them by then they'll have to go back with me and learn to love high rise life. I'd like to find a new home for the mother and the boy and just keep the little girl. I've decided I can't part with her now.

So yes, please take those kitties in and give them a good home for the remainder of their lives.

Here are my 3 charges. Mama cat (I named her Myrtle), and her daughter and son (Milly & Billy) all sacked out back when it was still hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 8:16 PM

if they'd let you adopt, they'd let you foster however, they may be just a shelter ie: anyone can walk out with an animal whether they're qualified or not, no checks done. but, if you are serious, you have a support system here.

do you want cats? is your home cat safe ie: no holes in screens,, you don't have a bunch of people in and out door is secure. can you afford cat litter? wet food? vet bills eventually (i am not advocating for extraordinary measures, just regular vet bills).

is your home full of delicate, expensive breakable things?

do you accept the first weeks will be messy and frustrating?

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 8:19 PM

If every experienced cat owner that has passed through that shelter has declined to adopt those cats, there must be a reason. Go back with a trusted friend who is an experienced cat owner. Let that friend help you make the decision.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 8:20 PM

r18,, they're beautiful :)

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 8:20 PM

If possible, spend some time with them in one of the facilities adoption room. Sit on a floor cushion, and let them wander around. Catnip, some kitty treat and Feliway can be your friend.

I would also request a conditional adoption until they are vet checked and have senior cat blood work. Know more about their health status sooner than later.

If you adopt them, start with them in a small room with some boxes for hiding, a feeding and litter box station. Again, I would just sit with them and let them acclimate/ come to you. It may take and hour or a few days. Stay calm, and low-key. Again, some treats, catnip and Feliway can be your friend.

Sticking with their usual or the shelter diet would be best to start, along with regular treats It can be tough to convert a cat back to healthy meals if they become fixated on something like cooked chicken.

Once they learn about you, they will take over the training.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 8:21 PM

I read to all my fosters. I recommend anything dr Seuss and gine with the wind. they like those because they are impossible to read aloud without expression and enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2019 8:24 PM

Do it. Have them seen by a vet -- preferably the vet who they've gone to -- and explain your fears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2019 8:27 PM

Just lay down OP, we'll handle the rest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2019 8:33 PM

Older cats make great pets. They are already trained. Since there are two, they will entertain each other. They will probably resemble throw pillows most of the time, just lying around and looking soft and pretty.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2019 8:34 PM

I know that you are going to get a lot of good info from others on this thread, but I want to let you know that I've been there, done that, fairly recently. Back in the summer, we adopted a black male cat, but while we were finalizing the adoption, I glanced through the window into the free-range room where cats can roam around and enjoy toys, cat trees, etc. I saw two little waifs huddled together in the bottom area of the cat tree. I mentioned them to the employee who was finalizing the adoption, and he said, "Oh, they're the sisters. They belonged to an old lady for four years, and when she died, her daughter took the cats. Now the daughter is moving and can't take the cats with her."

I knew that they would get a home because this is a no-kill shelter, but if they were not adopted within six weeks, they would be shuffled off to another shelter. Those two cats haunted me, when I got back home. They had looked scared. Twenty-five days passed. Every day I looked at the shelter's facebook page, and the sisters were still there. Finally I said to my partner, "Would you be in favor of us adopting the two sisters?" The black cat we had previously adopted had been his choice, and he told me, "No problem. If you want them, let's get them. We have room for more."

We drove to the shelter with a great sense of urgency, and when we arrived there, I couldn't see them anywhere. The attendant told me that five days ago, they had been farmed out to a pet supply store, and checking their records, the girls had still not been adopted.

Off we went again. And, to make a long story a little shorter, we took them home with us. I realize why they were such a hard sell. They were 8 years old. One of them, my namesake, Lucy, had half an ear missing. It looked as though it had been cut off. The other, Cinder, had one eye, having lost the other in an "accident" when she was a very young kitten. She also had bone distortion around the missing eye. Her left hind leg was partially dislocated. She was very timid and nervous. The vet who signed her papers said that the leg wasn't giving her any trouble and that he recommended leaving it as it was. I am positive that there was some abuse in their past.

Cinder has small seizures as a result of her "accident," not frequently, and will pee a bit when it happens, but we look after that. It's what we do.

Lucy, we found out, is a dwarf, a natural dwarf, not a cat that is bred to be small. She has short stocky legs and a body no larger than a half grown kitten. Cinder herself is very small but Lucy makes her look large. I am SO happy we brought those girls home. They appeared to have had a difficult life, and they are sweet loving kitties.

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2019 8:39 PM

R27 Bravo! You are a wonderful and kind soul.

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2019 8:42 PM

I'm not sure if I find the frau who is calling herself "rescue chick" instead of "crazy cat lady" sadly delusional or admirably optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2019 8:43 PM

Thank you so much, R28

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2019 8:44 PM

I have dogs r29, no cats. but, your point is valid. why not both!

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2019 8:45 PM

R29, Remember, love is love. We should know better than most.

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2019 8:48 PM

I don't even like cats, and this thread makes me love you, OP. How sweet you are! All the cats I had when I was younger lived forever. To age 20. As they got close to the end, they did get crazier. One could never hit the litterbox and pooped all over its edges, so I bought a mason's trough for him. (big and deep and black, which is nice) He loved it. Sometimes I'd catch him napping there when the litter was fresh. So rest assured, these guys aren't old. They're just getting started.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2019 8:49 PM

At that age, you should be good to go. If they are longhaired cats you have to brush them. Scoop their box once or twice a day.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2019 9:24 PM

Reading out loud really helped with acclimating my street kitty to her new situation. For some reason it really seems to calm her down.

OP if you are seriously thinking of adopting, go for it! Older cats are calmer and they’re already trained. They will give you lots of love.

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2019 9:33 PM

it helps in some cases because many of these animals have only heard loud abusive voices or alternatively, no voices. if people try to just talk to them they do an unnatural and soft voice and animals may not trust that or get spooked when a normal voice is used.

reading to them allows them to observe you while you're essentially ignoring them and you are using a variety of natural tones that they will trust (for truth) and become familiar with (instead of abusiveness)

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2019 9:39 PM

r9 is full of shit. They probably have the clap. If you love them the way a man should love a cat, you'll get it too.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2019 9:41 PM

Compared to my cats, 10 is middle aged.

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2019 9:43 PM

Drown the fuckers and get a dog like a sane person. x

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2019 9:50 PM

Do it and get pet insurance. I use healthy paws and it’s been great! I have two adult cats as well.

If you decide to not keep them please make sure you take them to a no kill shelter and let them know that they are a bonded pair.

Owning cats is rewarding though! They’re hilarious animals when their little personalities come out and they start seeing you as a member of their squad. The best part is going to sleep every night knowing that you saved two lives.

When you get kitty litter don’t buy clay based. Corn based is healthier for the cats and you and not as messy.

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2019 9:56 PM

Rhoda! Nice to see you back. And by the way, did you finally get your dog?

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2019 9:58 PM

I did, R41. She’s an absolute treasure. Thanks for asking.

In all seriousness, if you can give an animal in need a home OP then do it! Cats are arseholes, but they deserve as much love as anyone else. x

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2019 10:03 PM

Cats are only arseholes to people they don't know or don't trust. Any cat owner will tell you there's nothing like the love a kitty will give their human.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2019 10:05 PM

Here they are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2019 10:05 PM

Awwww, they're beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2019 10:08 PM

omy gosh, they are gorgeous and yes, terrified. poor babies. they seem to have been well cared for (which is a rare gem in shelters)

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2019 10:09 PM

Food, water, a place to sleep, toys, perches, quiet.

They also like classical music.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2019 10:15 PM

Those cats look very wonderful and loving. Having said that, I'm curious. Why are you interested in owning a cat all of a sudden?

An adult cat (or two of them) will be easier for a first-time human subject to care for than a kitten. But know that they're not going to do tricks for you, or be particularly loving, respectful or even self-aware at first. But what you're doing is a wonderful act, that they will, in time, come to recognize and appreciate.

Other responses are right... it's kind of simple: food, water, litter box and scratching post. For food, I'd recommend Wellness brand. There's either regular or grain-free, but either are acceptable because of lack of preservatives and extra non-nutritional extras. It's what we've fed our two cats for 10 years. Wet food is helpful because it adds needed moisture to their systems. Fancy Feast is usually well-received on the feline front, and not terribly expensive compared to other brands. Litter will take some experimentation for both of you, but I would recommend getting two litter boxes.

Finally for water, look into a filtered, automatic water fountain. Drinkwell makes a good product, I got one 18 years ago and it's still running. It provides and encourages them to be well hydrated with clean water, which helps prevent urinary tract infections and other complications from being dehydrated.

Hope to hear more about this possible success story! :)

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2019 10:25 PM

R43 - You’re probably right. I’ve only ever been around cats when visiting friends. They’re very independent creatures and having not grown up around them I’m a bit wary. But I respect their cunty attitudes. x

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2019 10:28 PM

Do it, OP!

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2019 10:36 PM

They are beautiful. The sweethearts must be confused and scared.

If you give them a home, you'll be doing a wonderful thing.

Mine like all sorts of cardboard scratchers. If I notice one attacking the furniture or a rug, I place a scratching post or cardboard scratching box nearby and they switch to that.

I started watching that asshole cat show with the guy with funky facial hair, and I've learned quite a bit.

Please keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2019 10:37 PM

Jackson Galaxy is the ONLY tv personality animal trainer/rehabber who I recommend wholeheartedly r51! he's got the magic.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2019 10:41 PM

I have nothing more to add but do it if you can afford it! Cats are such wonderful pets

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2019 10:42 PM

OP, I adopted 2 adult sisters from a shelter. They were huddled in a cage just like yours. They were terrified, but they had each other. Once I brought them to their new home, they were scared and confused about what was happening to them. It took almost a month for them to come around and start showing me their personalities. It was very traumatizing being in a cage in a shelter, so I was very patient with them. Years later, they follow me everywhere, sleep in my bed, get excited when I come home and purr all the time. They are so sweet and loving. I'm so happy that I rescued them.

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2019 10:43 PM

R48, I’ve been thinking about it a while. I lived in an apartment that didn’t allow pets. Now I have my own home. I’ve been worried about scratching furniture and knocking over fragile things, but I decided I don’t care (except for some antique Chinese pottery which I will put away until I know the cats’ habits better).

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2019 10:46 PM

Do I have to get rid of plants that may be toxic? Do cats really eat plants?

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2019 10:50 PM

absolutely x2 r56

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2019 10:52 PM

Cats will eat plants. Not all are toxic, but it would be a good idea to look up which ones are.

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2019 10:52 PM

I did. Two of my plants are on the list.

by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2019 10:53 PM

R56, some do some don't. There are some toxic plants. I'm not sure which ones are, though. I had a beautiful spider plant that my cat chewed on until the plant died. I love my cat more than the plant.

by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2019 10:54 PM

Make that 5 of my plants.

by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2019 11:00 PM

yeah, unfortunately there are choices /sacrifices that need to be made when considering animals. but, do your plants love you? and show it by possibly judging you harshly?

what are the plant types?

by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2019 11:06 PM

Several different dracaenas, a dieffenbachia and a jade plant.

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2019 11:13 PM

Bookmark this link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2019 11:23 PM

If you get a penetrating bite, get to the emergency room ASAP.

Cats' mouths are nasty nasty places and the if bacteria gets into your blood it can kill you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2019 11:25 PM

Don't use clay litter. Use a silica based brand instead. Clay litter caused my cat to get constipated and it nearly killed her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2019 11:28 PM

Plants that kill cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2019 11:29 PM

Don’t do it ! Think about the chachkis!!!! They will knock over and break your chachkis!

Also, don’t let them drive your car!

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2019 11:36 PM

I can get new tchotchkes.

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2019 11:45 PM

Adopt them. Trust me it will change your life. They look so scared and sweet. It may take some time for them to adjust and they may act out but give it time. It always settles down. It’s great that they’re older so they will be calmer. I have had a few adult rescues before and they always end up being the best pets... like they’re extra grateful for a home and love.

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2019 11:50 PM

The litter I use is The World's Best Litter. It's natural and dust free. It does track, so I bought a cheap bathroom mat from Ikea and put it in front of the litterbox . It's easy to shake out the pieces of litter and sanitize/wash.

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2019 12:11 AM

I can't say I support your choice, OP.

I mean, it starts out with love and hope for the future. But once they're in heat....well, you just never know what those pint-sized harlots are capable of!

by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2019 12:14 AM

Please, please, please be sure to get them fixed R18. You won't be able to have them inside your high-rise unless you do.

by Anonymousreply 73November 20, 2019 12:21 AM

[whistle!!]. Misplaced Datalounge meme character, R72. 15-yards and loss of possession.

by Anonymousreply 74November 20, 2019 12:22 AM

any shelter that is actually a shelter will have them altered and vaccinated. the last thing they want is next generation progeny who will wind up back there

by Anonymousreply 75November 20, 2019 12:29 AM

That’s YOUR problem, Op.

by Anonymousreply 76November 20, 2019 12:35 AM

[quote]If every experienced cat owner that has passed through that shelter has declined to adopt those cats, there must be a reason.

The reason could be simply that the cats are 10 years old.

Several years ago, a friend's son adopted a seven- or eight-year-old cat from the local humane society. The people there were thrilled that he had taken an older cat. The manager said, "She's one of the sweetest cats we've ever had here, but no one would take her. Everybody wants kittens."

Oh, and for OP, here's another YES!!! vote. It would be wonderful if you could give those two beauties a home. And they'll reward you for your kindness every day.

by Anonymousreply 77November 20, 2019 12:38 AM

by puking in your shoes in the middle of the night. but, lovingly

by Anonymousreply 78November 20, 2019 12:41 AM

Do it OP. Make sure they have been fully vetted.

I was in the process of adopting a kitten. While I was sitting down at the shelter filling out the paperwork, a fat tabby cat jumped on my lap and started purring. The shelter lady was stunned. The 10 year old cat had been brought to the shelter 3 weeks earlier after her owner — a man — had to go in a nursing home. The shelter lady said she was terrified of the other cats in the free roaming shelter and mostly hid under a table. The cat was purring up a storm and the shelter lady practically begged me to take the cat along with the kitten. She said cats sometimes pick their people and this cat didn’t “show well” for adoption. Fact is, I was there the weekend before to see the kitten and noticed the cat hissing at the other cats from under the table. I have to admit it I was kind of pleased to have this solid lump of a cat purring up a storm on my lap. Meanwhile the kitten was ricocheting around the room like a wildcat.

So plans changed and I went home with the 10 year old cat instead of the kitten. When we got home, she marched right into the house, found the fridge and sat in front of it. I opened the door and she looked all around. While she was doing that, I opened up a can of food and fed her. She gobbled it right up. I wanted her to see where I set up the litter box and put her in it. She didn’t go but she continued the tour of the house. When she saw my bedroom she hopped up on the bed, curled up and slept for hours. I think it was a combination of intense relief to be out of the shelter and happy to be back in a quiet home, and her feeling very comfortable with me.

That was six years ago and she is doing great. She is sitting right beside me as I type.

by Anonymousreply 79November 20, 2019 1:24 AM

R56

Not only plants but be mindful of flowers! For example all types of lilies are extremely toxic to cats. So many die a year bc of them.

by Anonymousreply 80November 20, 2019 1:53 AM

That's a great story, R79, and sounds like you two were a good match. I agree with the woman at the shelter who said cats choose us. And I love how that big bitch just sashayed into your house like she owned the place. Quivering under a table hissing to sassy lady of the manor in under an hour.

by Anonymousreply 81November 20, 2019 1:54 AM

Ha! R81, that’s exactly the way to put it!

[quote] that big bitch just sashayed into your house like she owned the place. Quivering under a table hissing to sassy lady of the manor in under an hour.

by Anonymousreply 82November 20, 2019 2:35 AM

R63 I have an elderly and very large jade plant, and not once have I ever seen a cat near it. They totally ignore it. I can't guarantee that all cats would be the same, though.

by Anonymousreply 83November 20, 2019 8:08 AM

Also, R78, by depositing a dead mouse in your shoe. Especially if you don't find it for several days.

by Anonymousreply 84November 20, 2019 8:11 AM

Do it, OP. Older cats are fabulous. And I love the other poster who adopted the abused sisters. You are a true sweetheart!

by Anonymousreply 85November 20, 2019 9:57 AM

R85 For your viewing pleasure, a picture of the Fabulous Miss Lucy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 20, 2019 10:12 AM

...And R85, the Awesome Miss Cinder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 20, 2019 10:14 AM

I'm getting an 8 year old cat from my mother in two weeks. My mom is 90 and her other cats are close to twenty years old. I have lots of heirloom begonias, aloe vera etc. If I can't find homes for the plants I will put them in my compost pile. It's like the poster above said, plants don't love you back.

by Anonymousreply 88November 20, 2019 12:02 PM

Has OP checked back in on this thread? You've made us all worried about those darling cats, OP. You owe us an update.

by Anonymousreply 89November 20, 2019 12:05 PM

You are fabulous and awesome, too, r87 and r86.

by Anonymousreply 90November 20, 2019 12:10 PM

90 posts and no one mentioned older cat bladder/shit/kitty litter problems. Older cats get finicky about using the kitty litter box and will pee/shit elsewhere, if their kitty litter box is not up to their standard. It may help to have one box for each cat.

Older cats develop bladder and rectal problems which also cause them to pee/shit elsewhere (and sometimes you won't find it for a day or two). If you notice that the cat box is not being used regularly, it may indicate the aforementioned bladder/rectal problems (also a warning to watch where you're stepping/sitting/touching). If this occurs, take the cat(s) to the vet for a check-up.

by Anonymousreply 91November 20, 2019 12:20 PM

It's always recommended practice to have one litter box per cat, regardless of age.

by Anonymousreply 92November 20, 2019 12:22 PM

Gah. A next door neighbor of mine was by her own admission a Crazy Cat Lady. She never had fewer than three cats. The most I knew about was six at one time. She thought they all were heavenly perfection and anything they did, she tolerated. Her home smelled to high heaven. The cats ate some of the cat food and threw the rest of it around the kitchen. She could theoretically sweep up the cat food she could reach, but the stuff that went under the refrigerator or the stove or behind a cabinet... that all went to exacerbate the roach problem. The cats shredded every piece of furniture and sprayed in every corner.

She really couldn't do anything to correct any of it because she found the cats to be adorable. All of this is to warn you, OP, be wary of advice here that older cats once owned by an older woman will be settled and everything will be good to go. It is not necessarily that way. Cat People just think it is.

by Anonymousreply 93November 20, 2019 12:45 PM

R90 Awwww. I'm blushing

by Anonymousreply 94November 20, 2019 1:02 PM

I can only speak for myself, R93 but Lucy and Cinder definitely use their litter pans. Cinder's peeing problem involves her epileptic seizures. That can happen to a human epileptic. At other times, she faithfully uses her litter.

by Anonymousreply 95November 20, 2019 1:06 PM

r91, that hasn't been my experience. My last cat was over 20 years old and even when her kidneys gave out and she could barely walk, she dragged herself to the litter box up until she died. My 16 year old is feeling some arthritis (it doesn't help that she's fat) so I recently changed her litter box to one with high sides and a low entry anticipating that her mobility may get worse. No issues at all.

When I had dogs growing up they always became incontinent in old age.

by Anonymousreply 96November 20, 2019 1:53 PM

[quote] My last cat was over 20 years old and even when her kidneys gave out and she could barely walk, she dragged herself to the litter box up until she died.

Why did you not have her put down at the "dragged herself to the litter box" point?

by Anonymousreply 97November 20, 2019 1:56 PM

r97, bad advice from the vet, and I regret it. She was fine and then one day she was not. The vet came to the house, did bloodwork, suspected her kidneys were failing, gave her IV fluids and put her on a special diet, I had to feed her watered down food through a syringe. Her blood work came back the next day and he put her on medication, and showed me how to do the IV fluids myself. He thought we could get it under control and she had some time left. Three days later she could barely walk, I called him and said it was time to put her down and he was going to come the next morning. She died in the early morning hours in my arms before he got there.

by Anonymousreply 98November 20, 2019 2:05 PM

Oh, R98, I'm so sorry. That's heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 99November 20, 2019 2:28 PM

Do it, Op !

You simply supply the food, shelter, and a litter box.

And they will supply the 😻 Love !

by Anonymousreply 100November 20, 2019 2:35 PM

OP, I wrote about adopting adult 2 sisters that I saw huddled in cage from a shelter, much like the cats you are considering. As we all settled into bed for the evening, I looked over at them being so comfortable and happy as they laid by my side. My heart was filled with such love and ,for a moment, I shuddered at the thought of what would have happened to them had I not brought them home all those years ago. I hope that you and those beautiful kitties will have that same experience one day.

by Anonymousreply 101November 20, 2019 3:09 PM

I went to the shelter. Since no one else has applied for the cats, my application was summarily approved. The tabby was somewhat friendly, but the tortoiseshell was not. It’s something of a gamble whether she ever will be. Also, there was discharge surrounding her eyes. The shelter staff said it was not a sign of illness. The cats were evaluated by their vet before they were surrendered.

I’m encouraged by the positive experiences you have shared, but I still worry that I don’t know their personalities. Pondering.

[quote]I shuddered at the thought of what would have happened to them had I not brought them home all those years ago.

They are in a no-kill shelter. Shudder not.

by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2019 3:54 PM

OP thank you for the update.

Eye gunk is normal in some cats. In some, it's from cold-like germs that they catch in the crowded and stressful shelter environment.

You can't really tell a cat's personality until it is in a home. Put yourself in their shoes, frightened, confused, in a strange, loud, place. You'd not be at your best.

by Anonymousreply 103November 20, 2019 4:00 PM

Some of the others cats in the shelter are demonstrably friendly, craving attention.

by Anonymousreply 104November 20, 2019 4:17 PM

OP, bless you for adopting them together!

by Anonymousreply 105November 20, 2019 4:25 PM

I haven’t decided yet, r105.

by Anonymousreply 106November 20, 2019 4:26 PM

OP here are my tips which overlap a little with what some others have no doubt told you:

Adopt them as a pair. They're bonded and need one another and it will be much easier on you (you're obviously already planning on doing that).

When you get them home prepare yourself by knowing they are likely to immediately run under a bed and not be seen for days or weeks. Don't try to coax them out and don't take it personally. Just let them have whatever time they need to feel safe and comfortable. It may help to confine them to one room in your house until they do feel comfortable. You can help by just sitting in the room. You can read out loud if you want so they get used to you, but most importantly just let them be. Don't try to get them out from where they are or force yourself on them, as tempting as it may be. Don't take it personally if they don't respond to you right away. Too many people get frustrated if a cat doesn't immediately take to them. They're too busy being scared shitless. Understand this and you're ten steps ahead.

If you can afford it, get Pet Insurance. I can also recommend Healthy Paws which will run you, depending on the coverage you get, approximately $40/month per cat.

Litter Boxes, the rule is supposed to be 1 1/2 boxes per cat. I also recommend World's Best Litter (nonscented - in the Green Bag). You can get the large 25LB bag at a decent price on Amazon if you choose their Sub & Save option. Clean the litter at least once a day and wash the boxes once a week (although Jackson Galaxy actually says not to wash it out that often at all). Think about getting litter boxes that they step and walk into that are enclosed. It offers some privacy, covers up smells, and will help not to track litter everywhere.

Keep them indoors. Do not be tempted to let them outdoors even if they were once outdoor cats.

Food: Feed them Wet and Dry food. Natural, Grain, Free. Give them a set meal time and make sure that you feed them the proper amount. A lot of people do not do the math and feed them based on what their weights are and what their calorie intake should be (20 calories per pound).

Just like food - all natural, grain free treats.

Scratching posts - make sure to have several. Trader Joe's has a scratch box that a lot of cats go crazy over.

If you have the space and can afford it, get a tree house. Cats like to and need to climb.

Water - make sure they have plenty of water. Someone mentioned a fountain and yes, those are great to promote drinking. However, people always fail to mention how often you need to clean it. If you get a fountain make sure you clean the thing out thoroughly every few days. Otherwise, it develops a slimy bacteria that is dangerous to cats. When cleaning you also have to take apart the motor (usually in three pieces) and thoroughly clean it with a scrub brush. A lot of the gunk/bacteria gets trapped in there.

by Anonymousreply 107November 20, 2019 4:28 PM

[quote] ...just let them be. Don't try to get them out from where they are or force yourself on them, as tempting as it may be. Don't take it personally if they don't respond to you right away. Too many people get frustrated if a cat doesn't immediately take to them. They're too busy being scared shitless. Understand this and you're ten steps ahead.

Amen! This is where so many people screw up with cats. They aren't dogs. People try to turn cats into dogs and then get pissed at the cat when it won't comply.

by Anonymousreply 108November 20, 2019 4:33 PM

If the shelter said the cats are "shutting down" they really should go into foster care to get a decent chance at being adopted. OP, did you discuss the possibility of serving as a foster home for them as suggested earlier on the thread? This way you get a chance to kick their tires, so to speak, and see if you might make a good match. And if not, you'd be helping their chances to get adopted by someone else. Also, did they shelter say they are a bonded pair and shouldn't be separated? Often times cats who live together just co-exist and once they get into the shelter they kind of go their separate ways. Others are truly deeply bonded, they sleep together and groom each other. Anyway, it's hard to tell what their personalities are like in the shelter environment if they are suffering from anxiety and depression.

by Anonymousreply 109November 20, 2019 4:37 PM

OP and new cat people, don't forget to give your animals the "cat smile." Close you eyes when you look at them and they'll return it.

R57, you can get cat grass, a plant they can safely chew on.

"I started watching that asshole cat show with the guy with funky facial hair, and I've learned quite a bit."

Yeah. What I've learned from watching it is how fucking stupid pet owners are.

by Anonymousreply 110November 20, 2019 9:41 PM

hey OP, I see you are feeling hesitant about these 2 specific cats- and that's fine! it would be wonderful if you did adopt these two and it would ALSO be wonderful if you adopted any of the others. ultimately, you are the one responsible for them, not us, and the first act of responsibility is getting the one(s) most appropriate for you.

regarding the goopy eyes- the cat likely is reacting to all the dander and possibly cleaning solutions in the building. one strong sign that the cats are starting to shut down is that the other cat isn't cleaning his buddies eyes.

animals in shelters wind up with all sorts of short term health issues, mange being the most common one, but I wouldn't discount an animal out of hand for that type of thing. just something to think about.

by Anonymousreply 111November 20, 2019 9:53 PM

Well, I just spent several hundred bucks on cat stuff, if that says anything.

by Anonymousreply 112November 20, 2019 10:02 PM

awesome! I just didn't want you to feel bad if you opted to go in a different direction.

by Anonymousreply 113November 20, 2019 10:19 PM

What are their names, OP?

Or did I miss that?

by Anonymousreply 114November 20, 2019 10:28 PM

Their current names are Romeo and Juliet. I’m sorry, I just can’t. I’m thinking Sid and Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 115November 20, 2019 10:40 PM

"Food: Feed them Wet and Dry food. Natural, Grain, Free. Give them a set meal time and make sure that you feed them the proper amount."

Cat's like routine, feedings at or around the same time of day, every day. In my house, they have their space in the kitchen and their own dishes - that's the ONLY place they're allowed to eat meals. After I eat sometimes I'll put a small piece of chicken in their dishes. Do not feed them your food while you're eating or you'll develop very a bad habit.

Haven't heard anyone mention BATHS - do NOT bathe a cat, they bathe themselves.

by Anonymousreply 116November 20, 2019 10:42 PM

How many meals per day?

by Anonymousreply 117November 20, 2019 10:45 PM

For adults: TWO MEALS a day. Maybe one treat in the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 118November 20, 2019 10:48 PM

After my dog died, I found the house to be just too empty. At that time, I was planning to move, and was afraid to get another dog, so my friends talked me into getting a cat. At the shelter, there was a little 8 year old calico cat that they felt was unadoptable because of her age. I wound up adopting her, and she wound up being the most loving pet I ever owned. She lived another eight years, and made big friends with two subsequent cats and two subsequent dogs. Adopt the cats!

by Anonymousreply 119November 20, 2019 10:59 PM

Beautiful story, R119, but new cat people know that adding cats to an existing brood can cause WAR.

by Anonymousreply 120November 20, 2019 11:10 PM

Eye gunk can also be a sign of pain. My cat developed that and it ended up being arthritis. Pain meds given and no more eye gunk.

I have a black boy cat. I found a kitten recently and it is staying in a spare bedroom. It is a girl and she is VERY rambunctious. Like, more than I have ever seen in a kitten. My older cat, at first, growled and hissed nonstop. Then he warmed to her but she is so aggressive she charges him and wants to play so badly. He swats her down, tries to lick on her but she gets too playful so he starts growling and hissing again. It has been 6 weeks and he has not warmed to her but they don't interact much since she is confined, for now, to the spare room.

What should I do?

by Anonymousreply 121November 20, 2019 11:15 PM

So, do you flush the clumps, or put them in the trash?

by Anonymousreply 122November 20, 2019 11:23 PM

Oh, and wet and dry food together, or alternatively?

by Anonymousreply 123November 20, 2019 11:25 PM

r121, that kitten likely was removed from its mother too early. it was never taught manners. is it altered?

by Anonymousreply 124November 20, 2019 11:27 PM

R124 It was young, probably 5 weeks or so. I couldn't leave it because we have a lot of ferals and I knew I would never save it if I waited to take it. How should I proceed from here?

by Anonymousreply 125November 20, 2019 11:40 PM

R121, toys, toys, toys, and play, play, play with her. Only let her near Senior cat when she's sleepy. This could last years.

by Anonymousreply 126November 20, 2019 11:43 PM

R125, you have to tire her out with a few play sessions daily. Make sure she has plenty of toys and climbing platforms. Get her fixed as soon as she's eligible. If you can swing it AND if you want to--get another kitten and let them tire each other out.

by Anonymousreply 127November 20, 2019 11:46 PM

that's definitely the case r125, that was really nice of you to take it in. I would get it spayed /neutered az soon as possible and continue to allow your elder cat to correct the kitten. is there any way you can let them coexist but on tye elders terms ie: make sure there are areas the older one can go to on demand but not the younger one?

also, i see the response above me covered my next thing I was going to say, tucker that sucker out. my bestie rehabs feral kittens, let me go see a few things she does. I know she has a kitten habitat they go in for a few weeks but that's moot here. there are also calming treats and pheromone (?) plug ins.

by Anonymousreply 128November 20, 2019 11:47 PM

"Oh, and wet and dry food together, or alternatively?"

I use dry food for breakfast, wet for dinner. Oh, something else. This could be different from cat to cat (my friend's cat will only eat one flavor of cat food), but mix it up so your cat won't get bored. For instance, have two different brands & flavors of dry food and alternate each morning. Give the cat chicken wet cat food two nights, then switch to fish, then to beef etc. He/she'll love you for it.

by Anonymousreply 129November 20, 2019 11:48 PM

"If you can swing it AND if you want to--get another kitten and let them tire each other out."

Um, that doesn't really work. It's rambunctiousness x 2. I've been there and will never do it again.

by Anonymousreply 130November 20, 2019 11:51 PM

OP, with a pair of cats, it's almost a given that one will be a shy scaredy cat and the other will be more social. Just about everyone I've known who've adopted a duo has had that experience. Also, I'm thinking the eye gunk could possibly be something picked up at the shelter and the vet can clear that up in no time.

Best of luck!

by Anonymousreply 131November 20, 2019 11:52 PM

R117, depends on the cat and more importantly, focus on amount of food. I feed my cats 2 wet food meals--breakfast and late dinner and 2 snacks, afternoon and early evening. And it's mainly because my cats will upchuck if they eat too much too fast. So I portion out their food 4x daily. I have one cat who wolfs down everything all at once while her sister grazes. Therefore I can't free feed, I feed the wet food of course and have auto feeders for the kibble.

My cats each get about 2-3 tablespoons of kibble and 4-5 tablespoons of wet food daily.

by Anonymousreply 132November 20, 2019 11:53 PM

I am the one with the older male and newly acquired kitten- I have tried to tucker this kitten out but holy hell this kitten never tires. I am only in my mid-30's but I have had plenty of kittens in my day- I have rescued and homed dozens of offspring of ferals in my neighborhood- and have never seen a kitten this crazy- lol. Of course, she will get spayed as soon as she is able. Older cat wants so badly to play with her but she always freaks him out. He has super sharp claws so I am afraid he will hurt her but I wonder if letting the kitten out of the room for a few hours to roam the house with older cat will help?

Kitten is way too hyper for me to let her out full time. I would never sleep.

by Anonymousreply 133November 21, 2019 12:06 AM

"and have never seen a kitten this crazy"

Have her evaluated by a VET ASAP. She could have a disease or worms or something nutzy.

by Anonymousreply 134November 21, 2019 12:17 AM

I mean she has so much energy. She never stops. I have tons of toys for her and have played with her for extended periods but she never seems to tire at all.

by Anonymousreply 135November 21, 2019 12:20 AM

R122 you scoop and toss it in the trash unless you're using litter like people have mentioned above, World's Best Cat Litter which can be flushed.

There is a lot of good advice in R107.

What I would add is to try to monitor how much each cat is eating, drinking, and pooping. It's a little more difficult when you have multiple cats using the same bowls and litter boxes, but monitoring these things (if they're pooping daily, how much, etc). will help you track they're health. If you start to notice something's changed, you can take them to the vet.

Make sure to wash their food and water bowls daily and replace their water daily. I thought this was common knowledge but apparently a lot of people will just let their cat's water sit there all week. That's not healthy for them. Also consider only giving them bottled water, depending on what your city's tap water is like.

by Anonymousreply 136November 21, 2019 12:52 AM

Another tip I'd give is to give some thought as to what time you feed them. Don't make it so early that if you ever want to sleep in, it would interrupt the normal meal time... because it won't. It'll interrupt your sleep instead.

by Anonymousreply 137November 21, 2019 1:13 AM

r135, some of the excess energy is because of the kittens age. kittens normally have the rest of their litters to learn kitty play from and tire each other out. also kittens are fireballs until they are a few months old.

I would recommend getting cat calming everything, treats the plug in pheromone stuff for his room, the spray for his bed. not the collar though at this age and unpredictable energy levels (don't want accidents).

I would put him on a firm schedule /routine. before letting him with your cat, you do what you can to work off some of his energy. then give him calming treats, then let him with your cat for x amount of time. I would 'crate train' him a bit, maybe have him in the crate for an hour at a time with treat toys that he has to work the treats out of the toy, brain teasers.

I would let him see you feeding the other cat first and not feed the little one until the other one is finished. I would invest in a good harness and walk that brat! starting inside first of course.

it may be a few months of chaos from the kitten. I rarely recommend people get kittens because they are insane until... I don't know what age. also, cut his nails, you may need help with that. invest in some elbow length oven mitts or even better, elbow length work gloves. you will need tyem.

by Anonymousreply 138November 21, 2019 1:17 AM

Start out feeding them the same food that they're eating in the shelter. Cats don't take well to sudden changes in diet. Transition them slowly to something of better quality (most shelters feed garbage food because it's all they can afford) after they settle in.

by Anonymousreply 139November 21, 2019 1:32 AM

R138 and others- thank you for the great tips. I am not new to kittens but this one seems extra rambunctious. We just played for 30 straight minutes of running, jumping and tumbling with zero energy change which I have never seen in a kitten. lol. She is locked up in the room for most of the day without interaction due to work/sleep but has toys which I hear her playing with all the time.

She has torn me to shreds! I look like Sweeny Todd took me on a bad date.

I need name suggestions. I had Xena as a choice or some famous gymnast since she has the strength, technique, tumbling and energy of one. Though her landings would often earn at least a .3 deduction.

by Anonymousreply 140November 21, 2019 2:13 AM

buffy!

by Anonymousreply 141November 21, 2019 2:16 AM

[quote]or some famous gymnast since she has the strength, technique, tumbling and energy of one. Though her landings would often earn at least a .3 deduction.

Then name her Dominique since that bitch couldn't nail a landing to save her life. If she's got shit form, then the name's a twofer!

by Anonymousreply 142November 21, 2019 2:36 AM

R142 LOL. I would love to name her Shannon but Shannon the cat doesn't have a great ring to it. She doesn't seem like a Nadia, Nastia. I can see maybe Mary Lou, Gabby, Simone or Carly.

by Anonymousreply 143November 21, 2019 2:45 AM

Jesus, don't treat kittenhood like it's a disease! She's hyper, she'll calm down, you- relax. She's doing what she's SUPPOSED to do.

"Don't make it so early that if you ever want to sleep in, it would interrupt the normal meal time... because it won't. It'll interrupt your sleep instead."

How dumb. Wake up, pour some dry food in her dish, and go back to bed. It takes less than five minutes. You guys are such drama queens!

by Anonymousreply 144November 21, 2019 2:49 AM

R144 I love kittenhood. It is a true joy but out of all the kittens I have fostered, this kitten has bottomless energy. lol

by Anonymousreply 145November 21, 2019 2:51 AM

Yes, I have the same food they are eating now to start.

Do I need to put away all small objects?

by Anonymousreply 146November 21, 2019 2:56 AM

I would for now.

by Anonymousreply 147November 21, 2019 3:05 AM

R143 I worry for your cat since you must obviously hate her if you are even considering one of those awful gymnasts.

Get some class and name her Bogy or Oksana or Tatiana. Better yet, how fun would it be to call your cat, "The Painted Bird of Odessa?"

How is her toe point? You could also name her Yang Bo or Mo... or any one of those famous Chinese gymnasts who also couldn't fucking stick a landing.

Your cat isn't special enough for some other names.

by Anonymousreply 148November 21, 2019 3:08 AM

R148 My cat isn't a cheater or a Russian bull moose. Nor is she a part of a shithole dictatorship that starts with R and ends with ssia.

by Anonymousreply 149November 21, 2019 3:11 AM

Buffy, or Faith if she continues to be a psycho

by Anonymousreply 150November 21, 2019 3:13 AM

R149 then Bogy or Oksana it is!

But you and your cat actually sound more like Kerris.

by Anonymousreply 151November 21, 2019 3:21 AM

Wait, R149, name her Rigby... Catty Rigby!

by Anonymousreply 152November 21, 2019 3:27 AM

Rigby is actually very nice and unique! Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 153November 21, 2019 3:29 AM

Mary Lou Retton

by Anonymousreply 154November 21, 2019 3:41 AM

I'm not wedded to a gymnast name. I do like Buffy as well.

by Anonymousreply 155November 21, 2019 3:55 AM

About clumping litter, I throw the poops in the toilet and flush. I have a plastic bag to place the pee clumps in. Although clumping litter can be flushed down the toilet, it clogged up mine, but certain brands of toilet paper clogs my toilet, too, so it's my septic system that's a problem.

by Anonymousreply 156November 21, 2019 1:33 PM

I only name animals people names. A litter from long ago: Anthony, Maria, Patricia and Alvin. None of this "Tiger" crap or naming them after celebrities, that's kid stuff.

by Anonymousreply 157November 21, 2019 2:35 PM

That's what I've been doing, R157. (Although "Cinder" had that name for 8 years, and was familiar with it, so I didn't want to change it when I adopted her.) I used to go for "cute" names but quit that. Our current roster are Charlie, Peggy, Lucy, Cinder, Zeke, and Dax.

by Anonymousreply 158November 21, 2019 2:49 PM

Yes... give them people names... just not crap people names.

by Anonymousreply 159November 21, 2019 2:50 PM

Check up this guy's channel, lots of useful information. (Also, he's sweet and has a nice voice)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 21, 2019 3:22 PM

About cat names:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161November 21, 2019 3:29 PM

Please, please adopt them!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 162November 21, 2019 3:30 PM

I named my cats after characters on SVU.

by Anonymousreply 163November 21, 2019 3:31 PM

I named my cats after characters on Grey's Anatomy.

by Anonymousreply 164November 21, 2019 5:12 PM

I named my cats after characters on Gilligan's Island

by Anonymousreply 165November 21, 2019 7:11 PM

They are home. Hiding for know in the cat cave.

by Anonymousreply 166November 21, 2019 8:09 PM

awwwwww! next week, when they come out, boop their snoots from me!

by Anonymousreply 167November 21, 2019 8:15 PM

^for now

by Anonymousreply 168November 21, 2019 8:19 PM

Great, OP! You're a good man.

by Anonymousreply 169November 21, 2019 8:20 PM

Bravo OP! There has been lots of great advice on this thread, but don’t get overwhelmed. All they need for now is:

1. The safe, quiet refuge of your house after all the stress they have been through in losing their previous home.

2. Food 2 or 3 times a day and fresh water.

3. The patience of a caring person such as yourself to just let them “be” for the next month or so as they learn to trust you. Then their personalities will begin to shine and most likely along with love for you as well.

by Anonymousreply 170November 21, 2019 8:28 PM

And clean cat boxes, of course! ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 171November 21, 2019 8:29 PM

LOL

by Anonymousreply 172November 21, 2019 8:30 PM

Good for you, OP.

Is this a cat cave for 2? Can you show a picture for those of us unfamiliar with the item?

by Anonymousreply 173November 21, 2019 8:49 PM

The cat cave is the little room I have them in. One is in a narrow space under a piece of furniture and the other is in a cardboard box that I cut a “door” in and lined with a towel.

by Anonymousreply 174November 21, 2019 8:53 PM

Way to go, OP! I love you for this.

by Anonymousreply 175November 21, 2019 8:54 PM

Feliway really does work in making cats feel comfortable more quickly in a new place.

It’s simple as well. Would highly suggest for a few weeks, then no need after they have settled in and feel at home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176November 21, 2019 9:09 PM

^just ordered some

by Anonymousreply 177November 21, 2019 9:30 PM

Thank you so much OP! Who said that everyone on the DL is an incorrigible cunt?

I want to second everything that R170 said, and hope you'll keep us updated.

by Anonymousreply 178November 21, 2019 9:30 PM

"Food 2 or 3 times a day and fresh water."

Food TWICE a day if their adults. Someone here wants these cats to be FAT. Observe their eating habits, I bet they'll either gobble a meal down or eat little by little at first. That's at first.

by Anonymousreply 179November 21, 2019 9:54 PM

R179 Some people's cats (aka mine) puke if they eat too much in one sitting, so have to have several small sized meals per day.

by Anonymousreply 180November 21, 2019 10:13 PM

Way to go OP! Super excited to watch their progress.

by Anonymousreply 181November 21, 2019 10:43 PM

Definitely do it . Cats are beautiful animals ( especially Australian mists, who don’t hunt ..... but make up for it by being little piggies

by Anonymousreply 182November 21, 2019 11:34 PM

Feliway's original purpose was to prevent marking and pooping outside of the litter box. If a cat was peeing or pooping in a undesired spot, plug Feliway there and the cat would stop going in that spot. So long story short, don't plug the Feliway next to or very close to litter boxes. You obviously don't want to inadvertently discourage them from using their litter box(es).

by Anonymousreply 183November 22, 2019 12:47 AM

Give them time to get used to you and their new home. Cats are creatures of habit and they have been used to the same routine for 10 years. They'll come around, but it will take time. So far, it seems like you're off to a good start by giving them some hiding places. You sound like a real sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 184November 22, 2019 12:54 AM

At least one of them ate a little, and there were two clumps in the litter box. Still hiding.

by Anonymousreply 185November 22, 2019 4:35 PM

Continue having patience OP it could go on for weeks, but probably won't.

by Anonymousreply 186November 22, 2019 5:14 PM

Continue having patience OP it could go on for weeks, but probably won't.

by Anonymousreply 187November 22, 2019 5:14 PM

Have you spent any time just sitting in the room with them? Just hang out in there and read a book or something else quiet so that they get used to the sight and smell of you. Maybe say some soothing words.

by Anonymousreply 188November 22, 2019 5:15 PM

Good suggestion r188. OP go on about your daily routine as they settle in. I once brought home a cat from the shelter and she made a beeline under my bed and stayed there three days, venturing out to eat and use the litter box only when I was fast asleep. On the fourth day I woke up to her sleeping at the foot of the bed and everything was cool after that.

by Anonymousreply 189November 22, 2019 5:58 PM

She'll eventually come out, OP, and probably sooner, rather than later. Two years ago we adopted an ex-feral cat from the SPCA. She had been living in a cat colony, and we found out that she was part Bengal. Now feral and Bengal are a heady mixture, so we were prepared for trouble. She spent a week in a walk-in closet, but finally emerged on her own. Two years later, you would never know that she had been a feral. Just be patient. She'll come around.

by Anonymousreply 190November 22, 2019 6:04 PM

[quote] ...so that they get used to the sight and smell of you. Maybe say some soothing words.

What if they don't speak English, Sylvia?

by Anonymousreply 191November 22, 2019 6:38 PM

When they realize they've landed in a gay household, they'll know they hit the cat lottery.

by Anonymousreply 192November 22, 2019 10:24 PM

The male has emerged from hiding and is in his bed.

by Anonymousreply 193November 22, 2019 10:32 PM

I have no personal experience with this, OP, but a professional pet sitter once told me that she uses honeysuckle to help shy and fearful cats adjust to new situations (such as her presence rather than their regular humans).

Before meeting such cats for the first time, she puts a bit of honeysuckle spray on her face and hands, and also brings along a couple of honeysuckle-infused toys. She said that honeysuckle is as intoxicating to cats as catnip, but in a different way - its calming and assuring, rather than stimulating.

That might be worth trying if your new arrivals seem unexpectedly shy.

by Anonymousreply 194November 22, 2019 10:32 PM

R193/OP Wonderful! I imagine he has a great look of relief on his face to be in a cozy bed and not a cage.

by Anonymousreply 195November 22, 2019 11:22 PM

Glad to hear that R193. The girl cat will soon follow once she sees that it's safe.

by Anonymousreply 196November 22, 2019 11:41 PM

Hiding again. Scaredy-cats.

by Anonymousreply 197November 23, 2019 6:30 PM

It may take weeks or even a month for them to feel comfortable. Don’t get frustrated or take it personally, even though of course it’s human nature to want them to love you right away.

I had a rescue kitty who would gradually get closer to me over several weeks and finally started rubbing against my leg as he walked by. I never approached him when he came close and just let it all be on his terms. Within about a month he was sitting by me and the next month sleeping happily with me every night.

by Anonymousreply 198November 23, 2019 6:54 PM

I had a feral cat who took over a year but she actually lets me pick her up now. She is outside and will come in to visit but won't stay. I had her fixed and got her shots.

by Anonymousreply 199November 23, 2019 7:11 PM

R197, I adopted 2 cats from a shelter years ago, and even now that they are settled, safe and happy, they still hide when it rains! I don't know what may have happened to them before I adopted them, but it's obvious to me that they may have been abused or suffered some kind of trauma from a previous owner. So, I just let them be. They come out when the rain stops and are back to their sweet, loving selves as if nothing happened. Just be patient. The three of you will be cuddling in no time. And even though the shelter told me that they love being held, they actually hate it and get all squirmy if I try to pick them up. It's all good and I love them no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 200November 23, 2019 8:04 PM

"I don't know what may have happened to them before I adopted them, but it's obvious to me that they may have been abused or suffered some kind of trauma..."

They got wet, R200.

by Anonymousreply 201November 23, 2019 9:25 PM

DON'T give them distilled water. It has no minerals and their bones will become brittle.

by Anonymousreply 202November 24, 2019 7:44 PM

Hey OP, been lurking in this thread. Congrats to you and your kitties! I would recommend putting a shirt or shorts that you've worked out in and putting it in their cave, so they get used to your scent and associate it with comfort and safety.

Also, if you notice them clawing the furniture, putting the scratching posts right next to the place where they want to scratch, not in some godforsaken corner of the room, where nobody wants to go. When they start scratching the furniture, say, "No", grab their paws and detach them from the furniture. Make scratching sounds on the post, put their paws on it and say, "Yes". Then give them a treat. Rinse and repeat. When they start using the post on their own, give them treats. The post may look unsightly, but it's better than clawed up furniture.

by Anonymousreply 203November 24, 2019 10:02 PM

While I can’t be sure, I think only the male is eating and pooping. The female stays in hiding. The male comes out and sits on various cat and human furniture. He allows meto pet him, but otherwise shows no interest in me. I feel like the maid.

I know—patience.

by Anonymousreply 204November 25, 2019 4:11 PM

OP, you are the maid. Every hear the saying “Dogs have Masters, cats have staff?”

Make sure the female is ok— maybe open a can of Fancy Feast and put it where she is hiding out?

Do you have any toys? Bell balls, furry mice, cat dancer wire thing are all inexpensive and most cats like them. Even a ball made out of tin foil will do. If you get the male playing the female may be coaxed out of hiding.

by Anonymousreply 205November 25, 2019 4:19 PM

It's important to get some food into the female if she's not eating. If all else fails, offer her some tuna, canned chicken, or chicken baby food. Put it in her hiding space (but make sure the male doesn't get to it first.)

by Anonymousreply 206November 25, 2019 4:35 PM

Ok. I put some salmon in her box. She sniffed a while, then ate, but the male smelled it and he’s also eating it.

by Anonymousreply 207November 25, 2019 4:45 PM

Yeah, the girl has to eat. Place a plate each of wet and dry food under nose wherever she's hiding. Do this after the boy has eaten so he's less likely to eat her servings. When you have two cats, one is usually food dominant. You have to distract the boy and keep him away from her. Either you distract him or put him in the carrier for awhile. But you have to make a way for her to be able to eat. This happens with the shelter cats I volunteer with. The subservient cat will defer to the dominant cat for food even she's starving. It's up to you break it up.

by Anonymousreply 208November 25, 2019 4:49 PM

Ok. It wasn’t easy but I got her a bowl of tuna and kept him away while she ate.

Now they’ll never eat Purina Indoor cat chow again and I bought 15 lbs of it thinking I could donate it when they move on, but the shelter can’t take an open bag. Not that they ever ate much of it.

by Anonymousreply 209November 25, 2019 5:08 PM

with 2 cats in the yard, life used to be so hard

by Anonymousreply 210November 25, 2019 5:14 PM

Don't do it OP. Any DLEG can tell you that having multiple cats can ruin your life.

by Anonymousreply 211November 25, 2019 5:15 PM

The tuna and salmon were a brand called “Farmers Market” that says it’s for occasional diet supplementation only. The shelter gave them to me. I’m afraid they won’t go back to regular food.

by Anonymousreply 212November 25, 2019 5:20 PM

R209, great job. I have a food bully so I feed my cats with it in mind. It's a minor hassle but it's important they are eating their portions. Left to their own devices, my grazer cat would starve and the bully would be obese. I feed their wet food meals in separate rooms. The bully will always finish first and I keep an eye on her so she doesn't run over to her sister and badger her out of food. She has been really good lately with leaving her sister alone. For kibble, I use two auto feeders that dispense simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 213November 25, 2019 5:22 PM

Can't you simple yell at the boy to STOP if he's eating the girl's food? Such wimps, and he knows it.

by Anonymousreply 214November 25, 2019 5:24 PM

Old Lady House!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215November 25, 2019 5:25 PM

Ignore R209 although perhaps he was saying that sarcastically.

Yelling never works as a behavioral method with cats and besides the female may think you are reprimanding her.

by Anonymousreply 216November 25, 2019 5:33 PM

Whoops! That was meant for R214! ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 217November 25, 2019 5:34 PM

Do not yell or startle your cats, they won't ever forget it.

OP, buy a variety of canned foods and rotate. The supplementation food doesn't provide the required nutrients and the cats will very quickly have problems. Fancy Feast and Friskies are beloved by most cats. They are not the healthiest so I never feed them alone. I would mix them in with the expensive healthy stuff. Luckily this year my cats are eating their wet food without FF and Friskies. But if they ever go on strike, I'll mix those brands back in to get the cats back on track.

by Anonymousreply 218November 25, 2019 5:41 PM

OP, cats can go a long time without eating without damaging their health. Not that you want them to, but what you're doing is helping. They'll go back to regular food once they settle in. You might have to try a few brands to find their favorite. My guy loves Friskies and won't eat anything else. Plus, he's picky, only likes the pâte.

My cat is emotional and temperamental, He's a diva. Once he had to wear a "cone of shame" from an ear injury and slunk around the baseboards for a week until it came off. He always slept with me and cuddled all night, but the cone changed things. For three months he ignored me, blamed me for the cone. I was at a loss for what to do. One night he jumped on the bed, sat on the end and facing away from me. Then he made a little "rurrrp" turned around and jumped into my arms and all was well. He had forgiven me. For three months held that grudge! He's a great cat and never fails to amuse.

by Anonymousreply 219November 25, 2019 5:42 PM

See R101 in the thread linked for tips to get cats to eat canned food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220November 25, 2019 5:43 PM

For FF and Friskies, try the pate classics. They're the least unhealthy options.

by Anonymousreply 221November 25, 2019 5:45 PM

R218 I babysit my niece's young cat from time to time. He's a pistol but the time he ran across my stove top I screamed at him. It just came out. He did the sideways prance at me a few times but didn't hold a grudge. He does stay off the stove now. I agree, though, it's not good to yell at cats.

by Anonymousreply 222November 25, 2019 5:46 PM

r221, exactly. cats naturally eat meat, the pate style has the highest protein content. those flakes with gravy are just marketed that way for the humans to buy it for fluffy

by Anonymousreply 223November 25, 2019 5:58 PM

R222, to elaborate, do not yell or startle cats when they are doing something you want them to. So yeah, yelling at them so they don't kill themselves on the stove--okay. But I would advise the OP to not yell at the boy for eating--because the cat will associate eating with something scary happening. Of course you don't want that for obvious reasons. For my bully cat, I will bitch her out in an exasperated tone and gently remove her sister's food away from her, but I do not yell or act forcefully. It's also why I'm extra careful not to startle them when I know they are using the litter box. I'll wait until they're done before I start making a ruckus in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 224November 25, 2019 6:04 PM

Expert, R216, speak for yourself. Cats usually look at your eyes over listening to your voice, they'll get it. You have to let them know you are in charge and they cannot overrule you. When my adult animals started switching plates (two cats and a dog), I had them to the point where I would only have to snap my fingers - they went back to their own. Also, I won't allow on kitchen counters. The cat knew this and never did it until (I assume) I left the apt.

by Anonymousreply 225November 25, 2019 6:09 PM

Apart from all of the good food advice you're getting, I wanted say that it may not seem like it to you, but the fact that the male at least is beginning to feel comfortable and is allowing you to pet him is a big deal. Great job, OP!

Some cats don't like dry food (and it's not very good for them, anyway.) I'll repeat everyone's suggestions for the classic pate Fancy Feast. My cats get Fancy Feast for one meal per day, and a higher-end canned food for the other. Keeps costs and my feelings of guilt down.

by Anonymousreply 226November 25, 2019 6:10 PM

I love this thread, and can’t add much to the good advice already offered.

Patience is the key.

I have three cats, two girls and a boy, all adopted at slightly different times from the shelter. They co habit very comfortably now, and are all ten ish or approaching it. I don’t see that as being old at all.

My precious boy cat is very sensitive to my moods, and very Confident, vocal and tactile. Has lots of friends ( feeding stations) around the neighbourhood. His ‘sister’ is sweet and shy, and the last one is a tortie and white beauty but has a deformed leg and is an indoor cat but she totally rules the roost with an iron claw.

All cats have their different personalities. They aren’t all aloof, but, yes, you never are left in any doubt about being ‘staff’

R190 a feral cat crossed with a Bengal? Jesus Christ I take my hat off to you!

by Anonymousreply 227November 25, 2019 6:33 PM

Virtue signalling. OP wants the adoration given to adopters on here.

by Anonymousreply 228November 25, 2019 6:34 PM

Virtue signalling. OP wants the adoration given to adopters on here.

by Anonymousreply 229November 25, 2019 6:34 PM

"Virtue signalling. OP wants the adoration given to adopters on here."

Douche who has never done an unselfish thing unless there was something in it for him.

by Anonymousreply 230November 25, 2019 6:40 PM

[quote]See [R101] in the thread linked for tips to get cats to eat canned food.

All I ever had to do was turn on the can opener.

by Anonymousreply 231November 25, 2019 6:51 PM

OP did you adopt them or are you fostering?

by Anonymousreply 232November 25, 2019 8:36 PM

If you do buy baby food, make sure it has no onion or garlic added. Onion and garlic is poisonous.

by Anonymousreply 233November 25, 2019 8:45 PM

It seems like it's very common to have a food dominate cat. Mine is like that, too. One will practically inhale her food and the other is a slow eater and the inhaler will push her aside and try to eat her food, too. I have to supervise.

by Anonymousreply 234November 25, 2019 8:48 PM

Don't feed them from the same bowl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235November 25, 2019 9:03 PM

Adopted, r232.

by Anonymousreply 236November 25, 2019 9:04 PM

Bite me, R229

by Anonymousreply 237November 25, 2019 9:09 PM

R229 FFed and blocked for being a soulless prick.

by Anonymousreply 238November 25, 2019 9:25 PM

OP, don't forget to have them both declawed.

by Anonymousreply 239November 25, 2019 9:33 PM

R239 Where I live declawing is against the law. I don't know enough about the subject myself to take sides, but those against declawing claim that it's painful for the cat.

by Anonymousreply 240November 25, 2019 9:36 PM

Let's declaw r239.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241November 25, 2019 9:37 PM

I mean, we can all happily live with everything above our top knuckles removed right?

by Anonymousreply 242November 25, 2019 9:39 PM

WHO THE FUCK feeds them from the same bowl? An idiot who wants to make a "funny" video?

by Anonymousreply 243November 25, 2019 9:41 PM

[Quote] Douche who has never done an unselfish thing unless there was something in it for him.

If you do a good thing and tell others about it, it doesn't count.

Or were you calling OP a douche? That's not nice. And it counts.

by Anonymousreply 244November 25, 2019 11:29 PM

So, your theory is I adopted two elderly, traumatized cats for the W&Ws?

by Anonymousreply 245November 26, 2019 12:29 AM

No, OP, they were probably saying you made the whole thing up for attention.

by Anonymousreply 246November 26, 2019 12:30 AM

No, but you're telling us all about it for the WWs. Yeah ok advice.

by Anonymousreply 247November 26, 2019 12:31 AM

I think OP might poison those darling old biddies to save their pussies.

by Anonymousreply 248November 26, 2019 12:35 AM

R245, Just ignore the assholes. I think you did a wonderful and unselfish act. I love that you keep us updated and so many kind people here are giving you some very good advice.

by Anonymousreply 249November 26, 2019 12:49 AM

[quote]OP, cats can go a long time without eating without damaging their health. Not that you want them to, but what you're doing is helping.

R219, I hope you meant "cats CAN'T go a long time without eating..."

OP, liver issues can develop in a cat who hasn't eaten for as few as two days, so keep doing what you're doing to make sure she eats.

Also, my cat would walk away from the more expensive, "healthier" brands of food, but not Fancy Feast. I asked his vet about it once and was told Fancy Feast is a perfectly fine option, which was good to hear because it doesn't break the bank and I like that there are a lot of flavor and texture options.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250November 26, 2019 7:17 AM

So today I put the female’s food dish right inside her box. The male makes a beeline for it. I chase him off. When I put his dish of the same food in front of his face, he ignores it

Bad cat.

by Anonymousreply 251November 26, 2019 6:12 PM

Cats like Fancy Feast because of the gravy.

I have a friend who has a cat who will only lick the gravy of fancy feast but wont eat the actual protein.

by Anonymousreply 252November 26, 2019 6:46 PM

Funny you wrote that, r252. That’s what the male does with Friskies. I was wondering if there’s something wrong with his teeth. The female seems to attack the gravy first, but then eats the “meat.”

by Anonymousreply 253November 26, 2019 6:50 PM

OP, so they are both eating now?

by Anonymousreply 254November 26, 2019 7:11 PM

Fancy Feast should just sell jars of gravy. They make a new kind of pate that has gravy in the center, sort of a moist maker if you will, but I haven't seen it in the store yet, just on TV ads.

by Anonymousreply 255November 26, 2019 7:23 PM

Yes. And the female seems to be less afraid since I’ve been placing food in front of her. She’s inside a little tent the shelter gave me instead of hiding in her box or under furniture.

by Anonymousreply 256November 26, 2019 7:26 PM

Fancy Feast Broths are primarily gravy with just a few tidbits of actual food. Have you tried those, OP?

My cats have always adored them.

by Anonymousreply 257November 26, 2019 7:33 PM

OP, that's really good progress for just a week. If they really only love the gravy portion you can try to get a sample or one pound bag of grandma lucy's fish cat food. my dogs would crawl across broken glass for the dog version but other dogs I know were put off by the wetness of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258November 26, 2019 7:34 PM

whoops, when retyping because of captcha bullshit I forgot to resay that the grandma lucy's has the consistency of wet oatmeal and that's what puts some of the dogs off it.

by Anonymousreply 259November 26, 2019 7:39 PM

Yay! R256. That's progress! I was sensing that you're getting stressed out. I've been there and I understand.

by Anonymousreply 260November 26, 2019 9:59 PM

OP, if you're finding that they like a more liquid consistency, you can always try stirring some warm water into the Fancy Feast pate to thin it out. That way they're still getting the higher protein of the pate and you aren't spending money on cans of gravy.

I do this for my cats since they are all male and one of them has a history of urinary issues, so I pump them full of as much liquid as I can sneak into them.

by Anonymousreply 261November 26, 2019 10:11 PM

That cat @R235 is all "step off bitch! talk to the paw!"

by Anonymousreply 262November 26, 2019 10:24 PM

OP, watch some Jackson Galloway or whatever the hell his name is. He has SOLUTIONS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263November 26, 2019 10:29 PM

Jackson Galaxy aka Cat DADDY

by Anonymousreply 264November 26, 2019 10:35 PM

Actually Richard Kirschner, a Jewish boy from the UWS.

by Anonymousreply 265November 26, 2019 10:39 PM

R261 I also add water to wet food, 1:1. You're right about boy cats--they are prone to UTIs and crystals and hydration is key. Sure, there are cats who drink water on their own but others need a little extra help.

by Anonymousreply 266November 26, 2019 11:57 PM

OP, in cat relationships one is typically the "alpha cat" and will assert dominance over the other -usually it's the male in a male-female pair. It can take the form of eating first, or eating from the other's bowl, or even chasing the other away when it's play/petting time with the human of choice. Sometimes the alpha will get aggressive toward the other cat after she/he receives attention from you. Remember that these two had a long-term relationship long before you entered the picture, and it is unlikely to change much now that they are with you. Welcome to the world of polyamorous relationships! :)

by Anonymousreply 267November 27, 2019 12:22 AM

For all you cat people who let your cats out, I drove a friend to the emergency vet late last night to his outdoor cat put down.

It came crawling home, badly injured and screaming in pain. My friend lives in a rural setting and thinks that the cat got probably rolled by a coyote. It took me an hour to get to his home. It took another 40 minutes to get to the vet. The cat screamed in agony for most of that time.

So, there you have it. If you want a dead cat, ignore your obligations and let him out.

by Anonymousreply 268November 27, 2019 1:34 AM

That’s just so tragic r268. I live in a quiet part of the U.K. so no coyotes here. Two of mine are outdoor, one indoor as she has a deformed leg.

The outdoor cats are in much better shape physically and mentally than she is. But I do accept they are at slightly greater risk as they get older, and less able to react to the ( very few) cars that go past my house.

Both my older ones are ten plus by the way. I consider that middle aged, not old.

Another tip OP, is to warm the food gently for a short while if you have a microwave oven.

Lightly warmed ‘Sheba’ goes down very well in this house.

You are making great progress OP, well done.

by Anonymousreply 269November 27, 2019 5:32 PM

When should I open the door to the room they’re in?

by Anonymousreply 270November 27, 2019 9:08 PM

If at least the male seems comfortable, I'd say open it. It'd be different if you had resident cats for them to meet. If your place is large and has a lot of rooms, you should keep the doors to some of them (and especially the basement if you have one) shut and limit what they have access to so they can't find a hiding place where you won't be able to get to them.

Once they've explored beyond their "cave" you could feed them in separate areas.

by Anonymousreply 271November 27, 2019 9:29 PM

To my surprise it was the female who emerged from the room, though as soon as she saw me, she ran back in .

by Anonymousreply 272November 27, 2019 9:57 PM

Let them out to explore while you're home. Still keep the door closed when you're not there.

by Anonymousreply 273November 27, 2019 10:16 PM

Female emerging again.

by Anonymousreply 274November 27, 2019 10:21 PM

Sounds good, OP. I know it may not seem like it, but for 2 cats who lived with an old lady for 10 years and then ended up huddled in a cage at the shelter, it seems like they are adjusting faster than expected. You are a love.

by Anonymousreply 275November 27, 2019 10:27 PM

awwwww 😉😍 she's a dollface keeping you surprised!

by Anonymousreply 276November 27, 2019 10:30 PM

Have you posted pictures, OP? I want to see the little charmers who have captured my attention

by Anonymousreply 277November 27, 2019 10:35 PM

See r44, r277.

by Anonymousreply 278November 27, 2019 10:41 PM

Have you renamed these cats yet, OP or are you keeping their "given" names?

by Anonymousreply 279November 27, 2019 10:46 PM

The were Romeo and Juliet. They are now Sid and Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 280November 27, 2019 10:47 PM

I love you even more, OP. Happy Thanksgiving!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281November 27, 2019 10:55 PM

They’re doing great OP! Well done!

If you share any of your Thanksgiving dinner with them skip the gravy if it’s made with onions. Cats can’t eat onion or garlic.

by Anonymousreply 282November 27, 2019 11:25 PM

OP this may seem nuts, but lie down on the floor in their room for while and see if they come near you. If so, just let them smell you and don’t necessarily try to pet them.

Most cats find this to be less stressful than approaching someone they don’t know well who is standing.

And even when they do know you, they oftentimes absolutely love it when you lie down by them on the floor. My cats always went nuts and would immediately come over to me, talk, and rub their cheeks against my hair, face, and hands when I did this.

by Anonymousreply 283November 28, 2019 12:10 AM

I somehow missed the post at R44.

Out of curiosity, did they specifically tell you that you had to adopt both of them as a pair? Just wondering.

Also, did they give you any information about the owner? Would they allow you (if you would be willing) to send the previous owner photos and videos of the cats to help set her mind at ease that they're being well taken care of?

by Anonymousreply 284November 28, 2019 12:26 AM

R278. What lovely cats! Wishing you and the kitties many happy years!

by Anonymousreply 285November 28, 2019 1:08 AM

Yes, they had to be adopted together. They are siblings. The previous owner does not want direct contact with me, but I will keep the shelter up to date.

by Anonymousreply 286November 28, 2019 4:32 AM

I’m giving them the run of some of the house tonight. I think they are more likely to explore when it’s quiet.

by Anonymousreply 287November 28, 2019 4:43 AM

My favourite thread running at the moment. Well done, yes let them out and see what happens. Restrict access to some rooms if your place is big.Also lie on floor and see if they come up to you. Sid and Nancy have landed on their paws.

by Anonymousreply 288November 28, 2019 7:43 PM

Surrendered? I want my god damn pussies back! You thieving motherfucker!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289November 28, 2019 8:42 PM

You're using the names Sid and Nancy? OY.

by Anonymousreply 290November 28, 2019 8:46 PM

Their original names are awful but it's what they know as their names. Let them keep what little they have left! For God's sake haven't they been through enough!!!! Must they lose more?????

by Anonymousreply 291November 28, 2019 9:24 PM

I would have gone Kurt and Courtney but I do love Sid and Nancy. ps, they don't actually know the references. it's ok.

by Anonymousreply 292November 28, 2019 9:29 PM

R291 = MARY!

by Anonymousreply 293November 28, 2019 10:34 PM

R293 = Slow

by Anonymousreply 294November 28, 2019 10:36 PM

Names are not finalized until I get to know them.

Someone vomited. 🤭🤮🤢

by Anonymousreply 295November 28, 2019 11:53 PM

You're an angel OP. God bless you for adopting the two kitties.

by Anonymousreply 296November 29, 2019 12:54 AM

by Anonymousreply 297November 29, 2019 12:54 AM

by Anonymousreply 298November 29, 2019 12:54 AM

Some people should not be poising with their petty shit

by Anonymousreply 299November 29, 2019 1:13 AM

Can this fucker OP learn to sign her posts?!

by Anonymousreply 300November 29, 2019 1:15 AM

[quote]Some people should not be poising with their petty shit

Say that again!

by Anonymousreply 301November 29, 2019 2:20 AM

R295 (OP?), I hope you saw it before you stepped in it (*not* a good way to make the discovery)! 😝

by Anonymousreply 302November 29, 2019 2:26 AM

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 303November 29, 2019 4:54 AM

OP, your cats vomited from all the stress you laid on them by changing their names. Reap what you sow.

But since you've already gone there, how about some better names. I present for your consideration, Steve and Eydie.

by Anonymousreply 304November 29, 2019 12:23 PM

Cat's don't give a fuck what their names are, only people do.

by Anonymousreply 305November 29, 2019 12:59 PM

R295 OP, when cleaning cat vomit, I find it useful to cover the.....gift.... with paper towels.

Using plastic grocery bags as makeshift gloves, I Then neatly slip the plastic bag over the paper towels and offending vomit, scoop and tie..

by Anonymousreply 306November 29, 2019 2:47 PM

R305 has a spectacular lack of any sense of humor, sarcasm, or irony.

by Anonymousreply 307November 29, 2019 3:28 PM

Possibly on the autism spectrum, r307. I've just come from that thread. :)

by Anonymousreply 308November 29, 2019 3:52 PM

Your cats probably vomited from the change in food. That's not your fault. You have no way of knowing what the previous owner was feeding them and they are going through a stressful situation. Cats have very sensitive stomachs. They'll get used to their new diet. Just keep fresh water available. However, if the vomiting continues, I would go to the vet for a check up. My cats vomit when they eat too fast, so it happens and I've walked in it many times!

by Anonymousreply 309November 29, 2019 5:00 PM

I have no idea where Nancy is.

by Anonymousreply 310November 30, 2019 3:40 PM

How big is your place? Do you have a basement?

Check all the closets and cupboards. I've also known cats to climb up into the box spring of a mattress.

by Anonymousreply 311November 30, 2019 3:52 PM

I know it's been difficult and stressful for you, but this isn't unusual. It will all turn out to be wonderful. I hope you're not regretting your decision. You are doing a loving thing. That said, one of my cats hide behind the fridge. I now block it off, but I went crazy trying to find her. They find places to hide that you never would expect. Please keep us updated. I know it's not the same as what you're experiencing, but I'm upset, too.

by Anonymousreply 312November 30, 2019 5:13 PM

behind the fridge or drier, if you have (gasp!) drop ceiling tiles she's in the ceiling. she could be anywhere and as long as she is not outside she's likely fine.

by Anonymousreply 313November 30, 2019 6:23 PM

Cats aren't people.

by Anonymousreply 314November 30, 2019 6:53 PM

R314 No shit, Sherlock.

by Anonymousreply 315November 30, 2019 7:19 PM

Still missing. My plaintive cries of “cat?” are having no effect. Sid’s not helping.

by Anonymousreply 316November 30, 2019 7:24 PM

The basement does have some drop ceiling tiles. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 317November 30, 2019 7:25 PM

just remove one then so she can get out easily if she's up there. once found I would not let them in the basement if possible for a few weeks. she could disappear for a day without breaking a sweat over your concern.

by Anonymousreply 318November 30, 2019 7:33 PM

I can’t close off the basement entirely, though I have closed off the mechanical and storage rooms. I just hope she can get out of wherever she’s hiding.

by Anonymousreply 319November 30, 2019 7:49 PM

she can. if she couldn't she would be caterwauling. they do this. obviously keep looking for her but, don't beat yourself up. it's not like you had a huge party and left tye front door open all night (presumably)

by Anonymousreply 320November 30, 2019 7:52 PM

Cats will respond to certain types of sounds and ignore others, so it does matter what you name them, if you want to communicate with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321November 30, 2019 7:57 PM

I think she went out

by Anonymousreply 322November 30, 2019 9:05 PM

My cat comes running when I shake the bag of dry food.

by Anonymousreply 323November 30, 2019 9:16 PM

She’s returned.

by Anonymousreply 324November 30, 2019 9:57 PM

Whew! Bad Nancy!

by Anonymousreply 325November 30, 2019 10:01 PM

Thank goodness! Now shut that damn basement door, OP.

by Anonymousreply 326November 30, 2019 10:11 PM

There is no door to the basement.

by Anonymousreply 327November 30, 2019 10:26 PM

Keep them in the room, let them settle for a little longer. God forbid should they ever get out, having them establish a strong attachment to the room will help with their return.

by Anonymousreply 328December 1, 2019 12:00 AM

I somehow think this thread is a fantasy...

by Anonymousreply 329December 1, 2019 12:17 AM

You know, I do appreciate the need for patience and all, but I find Nancy’s habit of fleeing the room in terror whenever I enter the room somewhat off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 330December 1, 2019 12:25 AM

yes, because realistically, things are going far far better than one had any reason to expect. so with that being the thing happening it's going to be the thing that annoys you. but, it's been under a week/a week and that is a really great result for 2 adult cats that spent time in a shelter

by Anonymousreply 331December 1, 2019 12:30 AM

thanks for the encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 332December 1, 2019 12:35 AM

it's not easy OP. I have a dog, I have spoken about him in the site a few times. I fostered him when he was returned to the rescue for the 3rd time after being adopted. I hated him. I used to come home from work and sit outside for a few minutes before going in and just sit there and cry. I hated that dog. I have never hated an animal and it filled me with shame.

a few months in, we had a come to jesus moment and bonded, much to both of our surprise. 7 years later and he's still with me. I love him so much. partly because I just love him, partly as penance for how much I hated him and partly because he needs me to so much.

all that is just to reassure you that there's no shame in admitting frustration. it's normal and ok. just hang in there. she may always be skittish but at a week in you just don't know

by Anonymousreply 333December 1, 2019 12:49 AM

Op, one of my cats still gets startled if I come up to her and pet/touch/pick her up. She also looks for the nearest dock to jump to when I pick her up. She's been with me for over 10 years. On the other hand, when I'm on the sofa, she will sit on top of the back of of it, right behind my head. Sometimes, I'll also wake up in the morning and find her sleeping next to my left ear.

by Anonymousreply 334December 1, 2019 1:09 AM

I love that OP isnow signing as OP fame whore 😂

by Anonymousreply 335December 1, 2019 1:19 AM

I love this thread. OP, thank you for keeping us updated.

As for hiding, my rescue cat disappeared inside of a recliner. I was terrified looking for her, and don't know what inspired me to check there.

I found sitting in the room, reading aloud and ignoring her to be helpful while she adjusted. I would yawn and close my eyes when she emerged. Once she allowed petting I was sure to stop before she became annoyed, and always took care to let her know she could run away whenever she needed.

It took weeks to get her comfortable, and how she's addicted to cuddling.

You've done a wonderful thing, both for these cats and their former owner. They must have a huge sense of relief knowing that their beloved cats are safe in a new home.

by Anonymousreply 336December 1, 2019 5:35 AM

That weird cat vet in the videos linked above looks waaaay too much like Pete Buttigieg.

It's unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 337December 1, 2019 11:52 AM

This thread needs more pics.

by Anonymousreply 338December 1, 2019 11:54 AM

"one of my cats still gets startled if I come up to her and pet/touch/pick her up"

I've always found that cats do not like being picked up. They like to decide where and when they want to cuddle up to you. They'll tell you what they want, you just have to become sensitive to interpreting them. Easy to learn.

If the female cat is still hiding after a week, I'd say she has a major problem with something in your house. She's scared of something, it's more than just adjusting to a new environment.

by Anonymousreply 339December 1, 2019 2:03 PM

Woke up with a cat on my head. After spending the last two days in hiding and never having properly said hello, Nancy decided to say claim me. She’s lying on me now.

by Anonymousreply 340December 2, 2019 9:55 AM

Oh, Nancy! Send her our love.

by Anonymousreply 341December 2, 2019 10:02 AM

Wonderful news! So glad you are giving the kitties a chance - your efforts will be rewarded in time. Based on my many years of feline friendship the most difficult part is when they eventually depart. Until then, enjoy them and give them all the love and care they deserve. After all you didn't choose them they were at the shelter waiting for someone just like you!

by Anonymousreply 342December 2, 2019 10:04 AM

Great news, OP! You patience has paid off!

by Anonymousreply 343December 2, 2019 11:51 AM

I'm so happy!

by Anonymousreply 344December 2, 2019 12:55 PM

Now the male is going to claw your eyes out when you're sleeping, OP!

by Anonymousreply 345December 2, 2019 1:44 PM

I’m worried about the male. He’s thin and lethargic. Food is eaten, but I can’t be sure that he is eating. Same for poops. I hope it’s just an adjustment period.

Although they were described as a bonded pair, they don’t interact much. She is off in hiding all day and he never leaves his bed.

by Anonymousreply 346December 2, 2019 4:07 PM

OP if it was me, I'd take the male to the vet and let him/her have a look. That word "lethargic" sets off an alarm with me.

by Anonymousreply 347December 2, 2019 4:17 PM

He was seen by the vet just before surrender. I have the bill and I see they did a thyroid test, so perhaps he was showing symptoms even then. If he doesn’t perk up, I will take him in.

by Anonymousreply 348December 2, 2019 4:22 PM

Sounds like a good idea, OP.

by Anonymousreply 349December 2, 2019 4:24 PM

male cats can be super lazy. it could be decompressing from being in the shelter. I can not stress enough how much it can fuck up an animal. imagine you were pulled out of your home, slapped into a straight jacket and put in a room full of others in the same situation but none of you can speak.

by Anonymousreply 350December 2, 2019 4:45 PM

I thought that the male had been scarfing the female's food? If you stick food in front of him, does he eat?

by Anonymousreply 351December 2, 2019 4:56 PM

When I feared only one was eating I assumed it was the male since he was more active then, but he’s thin and she’s not. When I put food in front of her, she eats. He did go for her food once or twice, but now when I put food in front of him, he ignores it.

by Anonymousreply 352December 2, 2019 5:04 PM

do you have access to their intake forms? you can sometimes get the weight /physical shape of the animal off it. if he were skinny going in, I would assume that's just his shape. he is also figuring stuff out still. as long as he's drinking water, it's too soon for much concern

by Anonymousreply 353December 2, 2019 5:10 PM

Feed them in separate rooms and so you can track what each is eating.

by Anonymousreply 354December 2, 2019 5:21 PM

They don’t eat right away, so I’d have to keep them apart all day. Yesterday, I put food out in the morning, it was untouched when I went to bed and all gone in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 355December 2, 2019 5:26 PM

Get a camera. They're like $30 on Amazon and you can monitor them all day.

by Anonymousreply 356December 2, 2019 5:35 PM

You're starting to contradict yourself, OP. Watch it.

by Anonymousreply 357December 2, 2019 6:14 PM

You might want to try a bit of canned chicken breast to try and get the male cat to eat something. I have a senior male cat and I give him some of that each day (I dilute it with water due to sodium) and he loves it along with the Blue Buffalo chicken Pate' and a can of Fancy Feast. He's a big eater only because his appetite was waning so my vet prescribed Maritaz (A transdermal appetite stimulant). Anyway, try a few different types (flavors or textures (pate', flaked, chunky, etc.)). I know it sounds like a lot of effort but you must ensure the cat consumes some nutrients every day which contain things they need (taurine being one). I have also used nutritional yeast (health food store) to help entice him to eat before using the Maritaz. Forti Flora is another supplement that you can sprinkle over his food to make the food more interesting. Please don't give up - maybe put the male cat in a separate area overnight with food and litter box and see if he eats . We are all routing for you to be successful with your feline charges!

by Anonymousreply 358December 2, 2019 8:18 PM

So, three days in a row Nancy hides all day then comes to my bed in the early morning and lies on me, purring nonstop and rubbing her head all over me. What to make of this? Will she get over it?

by Anonymousreply 359December 4, 2019 5:52 PM

Nancy is establishing routine and boundaries, OP. Totally normal. She feels less threatened by you when you are lying down in bed. Enjoy the affection she is offering. You need to start making more of an effort to bond with the male. Play with him before feeding. Jackson Galaxy recommends you play with a cat before every meal. It reinforces their natural instinct of hunt, eat, rest. Playtime should stimulate his appetite as well.

by Anonymousreply 360December 4, 2019 6:14 PM

Nancy is probably more nocturnal, explores the house at night then does her hiding routine during the day.

If you want to see more of the cats and bond with them, you need to have established meal times, not just leave food out all day.

by Anonymousreply 361December 4, 2019 6:20 PM

Juliet is being a cat. She isn't hiding during the day so much as she's sleeping. She's probably found a comfortable, cozy, safe, spot. Cats sleep 18 hours a day and are nocturnal, so she's exploring and bonding with you during those hours.

What is going on with Romeo? Is he eating?

by Anonymousreply 362December 4, 2019 6:24 PM

R359, My cats are older and that's pretty much what they do. They have they routine. They have their favorite sleeping spots and at night, they hop up in bed with me and we cuddle.

by Anonymousreply 363December 4, 2019 6:50 PM

I think you need to move Sid's bed into your bedroom and start feeding them in the kitchen. They've been at your house long enough to have run of the house.

by Anonymousreply 364December 4, 2019 6:55 PM

OP R359 the head rubbing is a major compliment from her!

That behavior in cats means “you’re mine” and she is using the scent glands in her cheeks to mark you.

by Anonymousreply 365December 4, 2019 9:29 PM

Yet she still flees when I walk into a room. Cray-z-cat

by Anonymousreply 366December 5, 2019 5:21 AM

My rescue cat RUNS from the sight of me when I am standing or walking in the house, yet after I’ve been sitting down for a few minutes she will come right up to me meowing and demand pets! She only does this to me, not my husband who is allowed to pet her standing up.

Cats are weird.

by Anonymousreply 367December 5, 2019 2:34 PM

Yeah, cats are weird that way. Don't take it personally. And OP, my cats love to sleep in paper bags (handles taken off) and boxes, especially shoe boxes (even though they are pretty fat and can barely squeeze in them.) They also love laying on tissue paper, the kind that you use for gift giving.

by Anonymousreply 368December 5, 2019 2:49 PM

I’ve rushed Sid to the vet. Found him lying on the ground wheezing. I hoped his lethargy was adjustment related, but now it’s clear there is something wrong.

by Anonymousreply 369December 5, 2019 4:10 PM

His temperature is so low the vet thinks there is something very wrong. One kidney is enlarged. She suspects cancer.

by Anonymousreply 370December 5, 2019 4:18 PM

He’s lost 20% of his weight since they checked him out in early November.

by Anonymousreply 371December 5, 2019 4:30 PM

o geez. I am so sorry OP. I will likely be the dissenting advice give but, it's ok to not do extraordinary measures especially if he's suffering. you did a wonderful thing, he didn't die unloved and terrified in a shelter. there are foster homes who are hospice only, it's actually the kindest thing I know of.

by Anonymousreply 372December 5, 2019 4:36 PM

I decided to euthanize him. I’m sure some may disagree, but the vet was not hopeful of recovery and it seemed futile to put him through a lot of tests and surgery/chemo when he was already emotionally deflated due to the surrender and adoption.

Some of Nancy’s odd behavior makes sense now. Poor girl.

by Anonymousreply 373December 5, 2019 5:44 PM

Oh, OP, I am so sorry. Poor Sid.

by Anonymousreply 374December 5, 2019 6:06 PM

Oh shit I'm sorry, OP.

But thank you for taking care of him and giving him a home for those last weeks.

by Anonymousreply 375December 5, 2019 6:12 PM

Oh dear, poor Sid. I'm so sorry. You're right he probably wouldn't have had the strength to rally with all he's been through, plus having to take meds from a relative stranger or worse, be back in a cage for a hospital stay would have traumatized him further.

He didn't have any blood panels done before he was surrendered?

by Anonymousreply 376December 5, 2019 6:17 PM

I'm so sorry, OP. From the moment you adopted him to the moment you so sadly had to say goodbye, you did the right thing and gave him the most loving gift you could. I'm glad that he left you with the gift of Nancy. Now neither one of you will be alone. Much love to both of you.

by Anonymousreply 377December 5, 2019 6:20 PM

you did the unselfish and loving thing. you are a stand up guy op. I hope you are neither regretting adopting nor beating yourself up. I mentioned before, dying alone and terrified in a shelter is inhumane yet sadly common . you did a true kindness.

by Anonymousreply 378December 5, 2019 6:22 PM

R376–He had bloodwork done on 11/4 before surrender. She also saw the vet that day, but no bloodwork. I just have the bill—no results.

by Anonymousreply 379December 5, 2019 6:49 PM

Sad turn of events. You did good by him OP.

Now just let Nancy love you.

by Anonymousreply 380December 5, 2019 7:26 PM

If money is a concern for you, the shelter will probably compensate you for the vet visit, or the vet may have a charity fund. If it's not a concern, let it go. The shelter probably operates on a shoestring budget.

by Anonymousreply 381December 5, 2019 7:43 PM

Sorry OP. That is a sad and stressful situation. I'm adopting an 8 year old cat and found out that all of her teeth had to be removed. So all of her teeth were extracted and she's been sort of lethargic but there is no infection per the vet. I was surprised at the amount of worry and anxiety I felt. We just want to give them a good life and love and enjoy them.

I hope you feel peace of mind soon and are able to love and enjoy Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 382December 5, 2019 7:57 PM

WHY would a cat have to have their teeth removed? Jeez, I've had a total of ten cats in my life, indoor-outdoor, and only one had a disease, when she was 14. She won and the disease lost, she lived another five years pain free.

by Anonymousreply 383December 5, 2019 9:08 PM

So sorry to read the sad news, OP..

I hope Nancy will be able to adjust to yet another traumatic event in her life. If there's anything good about the situation, it's that she's in a safe place with you to comfort her, rather than being stuck in the shelter where she was surrendered.

Hoping for the best for both of you.

by Anonymousreply 384December 6, 2019 12:38 AM

For the record, I made an ageist assumption about the woman who surrendered the cats. She was terminally ill, but not necessarily old.

by Anonymousreply 385December 6, 2019 4:51 AM

R384, lymphocytic plamacytuc gingivostomatitis. Very painful and progressive immune disorder. Cats with this disorder usually can't be managed medically for very long. Full mouth extractions sounds extreme, but is often the only way for remission and control of the pain for the cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386December 6, 2019 6:53 AM

^ Sorry, that was for R383.

by Anonymousreply 387December 6, 2019 6:56 AM

I am so sorry, OP. Thank you for giving Sid the love and care he needed.

by Anonymousreply 388December 6, 2019 7:41 AM

How is Nancy coping today, OP? And how are you doing?

by Anonymousreply 389December 6, 2019 12:16 PM

R384 and R386 ,my cat had all her because of stomatitis, she hardly skipped a beat afterwards, and is so much happier without the painful teeth. She eats anything she wants. As a matter of fact she prefers the hard kibble over the soft food. But she gets both. I would suggest that anybody who is concerned about their cats immune system to think about adding lysine to their food. I get a product called Viralyis l-lysine from Amazon. I put it in a salt shaker and sprinkle it on the wet food. Her fur is gorgeous, and she has no signs of the stomatitis anymore. OP, so sorry about Sid, sometimes there really is nothing you can do. Try to enjoy Nancy, she will need you now. You did the right thing for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 390December 6, 2019 12:29 PM

How does a cat with no teeth eat?

by Anonymousreply 391December 6, 2019 1:04 PM

I hope you and Nancy are doing well today. Sending you both love.

by Anonymousreply 392December 6, 2019 1:11 PM

R391 very well. Lol. Actually they don't pull the front four teeth and the little Nubs in between them. Their jaws are very powerful, and honestly, my cat did not skip a beat. She was eating about 6 hours after she came out of anesthesia. She's much more comfortable without the horrible teeth.

by Anonymousreply 393December 6, 2019 2:12 PM

Cats lap up their soft foods without much chewing. Surprisingly, they tend to lick up their kibble and swallow it whole. Even if they have to have their incisors and fangs pulled, though this is uncommon, they have no trouble eating.

Cats can also loose teeth because of other types of chronic dental disease and end up toothless even in early middle age.

They can be amazingly resilient and adapt very quickly to handicaps.

by Anonymousreply 394December 6, 2019 2:32 PM

She may choke.

by Anonymousreply 395December 6, 2019 2:33 PM

Yeah, my cats have all their teeth, still, knock on wood, but they pretty much inhale their food. Very little chewing going on.

by Anonymousreply 396December 7, 2019 12:21 AM

Any updates on NanceY?

by Anonymousreply 397December 7, 2019 10:26 PM

Nancy is doing very well. Today she invited herself onto the couch for the first time. I was watching The Crown and she was excited by the sounds of Welsh seagulls. She still runs out of any room I enter, except the bedroom where she feels safe in her tent. She is quite forward when I am lying down.

by Anonymousreply 398December 8, 2019 12:49 AM

typical female, she only wants you on her terms. 😉

by Anonymousreply 399December 8, 2019 1:11 AM

One of the great things about cold seasons is having my cats gravitate towards me for heat. I wake up each morning with one cat on either side of my head. During the day and evening, I have one cat o my lap and one cat butt side against my hip. Or like right now, one cat snoozing on either side of me on the sofa. In the summer, they stay away and nap/sleep on their own. I love that one of my cats is very demanding of my lap, even when it's inconvenient.

by Anonymousreply 400December 8, 2019 1:29 AM

OK, sounds like she is doing well...and on her own schedule. If she enjoyed the seagulls, you may want to find some videos made for cat entertainment. Don't laugh, there really is such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 401December 8, 2019 3:58 AM

She keeps her claws at least partially out when she paws me. I wish this would stop.

Also, the only sounds she makes are purrs. Not one meow.

by Anonymousreply 402December 8, 2019 6:19 AM

OP, she isn't meowing at you because you are likely meeting her needs at this point, which is good! Also, some cats are more (or, as in Nancy's case, less) vocal than others. I had a Siamese cat, and later a tuxedo cat, that would carry on long conversations with me when I would get home -- it felt like they were complaining about me being gone before transitioning into telling me about their day. Crazy funny.

As for her kneading you with her claws partially extended, when my cat's claws get sharp enough that this becomes uncomfortable, I just take nail clippers and trim the tips. If he starts while I'm trying to sleep, however, I just put some blanket between his paws and me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403December 8, 2019 7:55 AM

R403 is correct, her nails may just be too long. But for the first trim, I would get pet nail trimmers (circular blade) and have a friend who's done it before help. Or go to a professional groomer or vet fort he first time as this may set her comfort level back a bit. Also, some older cats cannot retract their nails very well. There are various emery-board-type scratching posts, but when I tried one, neither of my cats liked it. Ask around and see if any of your friends have trimmed nails before.

by Anonymousreply 404December 8, 2019 12:44 PM

She is falling in love with you, R402, and finding comfort in being next to you. Some cats like to meow, some don't.

by Anonymousreply 405December 8, 2019 4:24 PM

With me or my body heat?

by Anonymousreply 406December 8, 2019 5:32 PM

My cat sleeps with me - under the covers - winter, spring, summer and fall

by Anonymousreply 407December 8, 2019 5:36 PM

Mine too r407

by Anonymousreply 408December 8, 2019 6:16 PM

Nancy has taken to stomping, poking and butting me awake at the crack of dawn, presumably demanding food. (No meows.) I have been resisting. Is resistance futile, or can she be trained to wait until later?

by Anonymousreply 409December 10, 2019 11:25 AM

it's likely futile. the best you can do (try) is, before you go to bed, fill up one of those toys where they have to work to get the food out. hide it in your nightstand drawer and give it to her in the morning. it may or may not work

by Anonymousreply 410December 10, 2019 11:46 AM

I think you will eventually be able to break her of the habit but it's more training you than her. You have to do it a little at a time. Like on your normal rising time do as much of your normal routine as possible before feeding her. Don't just get up and pop down a bowl as you will never sleep in again. Then every few days stretch out the time, adding in another task before you feed her.

You may also want to consider one of those feeders that work on a timer, and set it off before you wake up. If you don't want to invest in one of those automatic feeders you may want to give her a small dish of kibble before you go to bed and see if that helps.

Sounds like she's adjusting very well to being your Nancy. Good job!

by Anonymousreply 411December 10, 2019 12:01 PM

R409, mine do that, too. I just give them a little cuddle and try and go back to sleep.Most of the time that works. I think cats are just wired that way. Maybe you can get her a catnip toy to play with when she tries to wake you up. Yeowww! makes the best ones. My cats have one in the shape of a banana, a cigar and a rainbow.

by Anonymousreply 412December 10, 2019 1:46 PM

Over the years, my dogs have always known when it was day break. But on their own iniative, they have waited for me to wake on my own. I didn't teach them this. I didn't train them to do it. It was just a wonderful part of the relationship.

But OP, you adopted a cat. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 413December 10, 2019 2:09 PM

" I just give them a little cuddle"

DO NOT acknowledge the cat, 99.9% of the time it will just encourage the behavior.

by Anonymousreply 414December 10, 2019 2:18 PM

R414, I love them and have grown to look forward to the cuddling, so I will continue.

by Anonymousreply 415December 10, 2019 2:37 PM

Princess doesn't eat kibble unless she’s desperate.

by Anonymousreply 416December 10, 2019 3:15 PM

I see she has you nicely wrapped around her fine pointed finger

by Anonymousreply 417December 10, 2019 3:44 PM

OP, I leave a bowl of kibble out at night so I know my fat old girl won't starve before breakfast. If she does wake me up at dawn, I snuggle her and say, come on, we get to sleep in a bit, and I pet her head and face until I fall back asleep. Sometimes she's just bored and lonely waiting for me to wake up, and that brief acknowledgement settles her down.

by Anonymousreply 418December 10, 2019 3:52 PM

I was feeding a couple of strays dry and sometimes can food...then one day, Kibble. They went out if their mind NUTS for it!

by Anonymousreply 419December 10, 2019 8:46 PM

I have been very fortunate to have diurnal cats. Maybe it's because I adopt adults (or as I call them, "used"). However, whenever my cat sitter stays at my house, they're jumping and meowing all over her to wake up and feed them at the crack of dawn. If they try that shit on me, I just shove them off the bed, and sometimes shut them out the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 420December 11, 2019 2:46 AM

I had a cat who banged on my bedroom door on weekends to get me up. One day I threw the TV Guide at her feet. Next day when she banged on the door, I grabbed the TV Guide and opened the door to toss it at her and she had hid around the corner - she was ready for it.

by Anonymousreply 421December 11, 2019 2:52 AM

Nancy’s going to the vet for a check-up. I’m concerned about eye discharge. She’s not going to be happy. I hope I can get her in the carrier without getting scratched.

by Anonymousreply 422December 12, 2019 8:04 PM

I have a feeling Nancy's going to die soon...it's part of OP's story before this thread fills up.

by Anonymousreply 423December 12, 2019 10:27 PM

Nancy said something about r423 and a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 424December 12, 2019 10:28 PM

Some cats just have runny eyes, OP. Unless it's pus it's probably nothing to worry about. Purchase some treats with L-Lysine, it helps their immune systems.

by Anonymousreply 425December 12, 2019 10:51 PM

Most feral kitties or cats that have spent time in shelters have cat herpes, which causes occasional bouts of sneezing and/or runny eyes. The aforementioned L-Lysine treats clears it up in a day or two.

by Anonymousreply 426December 12, 2019 11:32 PM

Conjunctivitis due to herpes virus triggered by stress. Eye drops and lysine treats.

by Anonymousreply 427December 13, 2019 12:08 AM

if you really loved her you would lick her eyes clean.

by Anonymousreply 428December 13, 2019 12:14 AM

maybe when I move past being her body warmth trick

by Anonymousreply 429December 13, 2019 12:44 AM

OP you are a great kitty guardian! Sorry it didn’t work out with Sid and Nancy as you had hoped but you are doing great by Nancy (and RIP Sid)

by Anonymousreply 430December 13, 2019 1:06 AM

When I adopted a cat from a shelter, he had a very bad case of ringworm. No one told me and I only knew it because I got a weird rash. I had to give him baths with a some awful solution until it cleared up. It's all good now and well behind us. He's happy and healthy. Living the good life he deserves. Soon, Nancy's conjunctivitis will be cleared up and she'll be living a happy life with you.

by Anonymousreply 431December 13, 2019 3:02 AM

Thanks, r430.

by Anonymousreply 432December 13, 2019 5:05 AM

If you feed Nancy wet food, get some Viralys from Amazon--It's a lysine powder -- and sprinkle it on her wet food with a salt shaker. Mix it in well, and you will see a vast difference in her health in a week or so. Also, make sure you mix in a little water with the wet food, because cats never seem to drink enough unless they're sick.

You're doing great, OP. It's a wonderful thing that you're taking such good care of Nancy, and that you were so concerned about Sid. Not many people would have taken on the task or done it so willingly. Thank you for being a kind human being.

by Anonymousreply 433December 13, 2019 1:09 PM

Can’t attempt to put eye drops in cat I can’t find. She’s clever enough not to return to hiding places I have previously discovered.

by Anonymousreply 434December 13, 2019 6:08 PM

too bad it doesn't come in an ointment, I put a bit on my finger and schmear it over the eye when petting the animal when it's asleep. did they give you enough eyedrops you can put the liquid on a piece of cotton ball and schmear her instead of wrestling with the devil and losing?

by Anonymousreply 435December 13, 2019 6:40 PM

Argh!

by Anonymousreply 436December 13, 2019 8:11 PM

OP, did the vet show you how to burrito the cat to do the eye drops? Does the vet know you have no experience giving meds to a cat?

by Anonymousreply 437December 13, 2019 8:40 PM

Yes. The problem is finding and catching her. I’ve discovered new hiding spots (inside the stereo cabinet), but she runs off before I can get her. It’s so weird. She was stomping on my stomach this morning, then as soon as I’m up, she hides. I’m going to have to confine her if I can get my hands on her.

by Anonymousreply 438December 13, 2019 8:45 PM

Op, cats get infections in shelters all the time. Be patient, when I adopted my cats, both were sick and one of them was very shy. It took her a long time to relax but now she adores me and follows me like a puppy.

by Anonymousreply 439December 13, 2019 8:55 PM

I’m happy to be patient, but she needs eye drops twice a day. One eye is very bad. Vet will re-examine Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 440December 13, 2019 9:01 PM

OP, she knows she is being hunted so you have to chill. Lay down on the floor with the eyedrops hidden in your hand or pocket and she may come out to see you. You are less threatening to her when you're lying down. Keep them near the bed so you can get her first thing in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 441December 13, 2019 9:08 PM

Yes. They are by the bed. I already tried the “lie down” trick. Not today. She’s still upset about the vet trip.

by Anonymousreply 442December 13, 2019 9:11 PM

Got her. Trapped her in the poop room, then lay down and when she came to me, burrito cat.

by Anonymousreply 443December 13, 2019 9:51 PM

she is going to shit in your eye tonight

by Anonymousreply 444December 13, 2019 10:05 PM

Congratulations, OP! I'd like to say subsequent efforts will be easier, but, well, she's a cat. 😹

by Anonymousreply 445December 13, 2019 10:05 PM

Does your vet hate you? I have only ever use eye ointment, which can be smeared across the eye area. I can't even get eye drops into my eyes much less my cats.

by Anonymousreply 446December 13, 2019 10:43 PM

I had a kitty who had glaucoma, and had to put drops in her eyes every day. I got it down where I approached her from behind, and dropped the drops a little above and behind her eye, which she didn't mind. But if you give lysine, you won't have to do drops.

by Anonymousreply 447December 14, 2019 12:08 AM

I have to give one of my cats a thyroid hormone twice a day. He fought me at first, but now he seems to realize it makes him feel better and he bugs me every morning and night until I put the cream in his ear.

by Anonymousreply 448December 14, 2019 1:14 AM

R448 make sure you wash the ears often, or else they stop absorbing the meds. My cat takes liquid meds instead of the ear cream, which is just as easy to administer, which I feel works a bit better. I've had two cats with thyroid problems. I wonder if it's the food I feed. I've heard they all have too much iodine for their tiny thyroid. I feed her Fromm dry (the only thing that doesn't make her sneeze all day) and Fancy Feast. Everything else gets her sick one way or the other. What do you feed your cat?

by Anonymousreply 449December 14, 2019 1:59 AM

I was told that it's common for older cats to develop an overactive thyroid, and the hormone slows down his thyroid. I originally brought him in due to weight loss. This seems to have addressed the weight loss, and for an 18 year old cat, he's doing well. He's sitting on my shoulder as I write this, purring in my ear.

by Anonymousreply 450December 14, 2019 7:52 PM

So she won’t eat the lysine treats if I give her one or leave one near her food dish. But if I leave one on the floor in some random spot as if I dropped it, it disappears. That’s perverse.

by Anonymousreply 451December 15, 2019 1:47 AM

you have discovered the true nature of the species cat.

by Anonymousreply 452December 15, 2019 1:50 AM

She thinks she's putting one over on you.

by Anonymousreply 453December 15, 2019 3:32 AM

When the reality is I’m putting one over on her.

by Anonymousreply 454December 15, 2019 5:31 AM

yes, she will let you think that

by Anonymousreply 455December 15, 2019 5:43 AM

After hiding all day she got right into bed soon after I lay down, and I got drops in. Boy is she mad.

by Anonymousreply 456December 15, 2019 5:58 AM

OK, unless you see her eat it, it didn't happen. Please get the lysine sprinkles, and you will soon be able to forget the eyedrops.

by Anonymousreply 457December 15, 2019 1:27 PM

She could be hiding them somewhere, like under the bed. Cats are tricky.

by Anonymousreply 458December 15, 2019 1:41 PM

You can get Pill Pockets. It's like a treat that you can hide a pill in and most cats will gobble it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459December 15, 2019 3:06 PM

Speaking of hiding under the bed, she knows she’s headed back to the vet because she saw me bring the carrier into the bedroom, and she’s taken refuge under the low platform bed. I’m already 30 minutes late. Any tricks for getting her out?

by Anonymousreply 460December 15, 2019 3:16 PM

Just lift the mattress.

by Anonymousreply 461December 15, 2019 3:36 PM

I'm really tired and don't know if already posted. But someone just sent me this. Apparently providing a box for a cat to hide in greatly reduces their stress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462December 15, 2019 3:56 PM

She went into her tent and I just picked it up, with her in it, and put the tent into the carrier. Her eyes are improving.

by Anonymousreply 463December 15, 2019 4:48 PM

Leave the carrier laying around the house so she gets used to the sight of it, and "getting our the carrier" doesn't send her into panic mode. Sprinkle some catnip in it and hide a few treats in there for her to find at her own speed.

by Anonymousreply 464December 15, 2019 6:31 PM

Any updates?

by Anonymousreply 465December 17, 2019 5:09 PM

She’s hiding less, but still displays ‘scaredy-cat “ tendencies when I walk into a roomeyes seem to be better, but she won’t let me look because she fears more drops. Not sure why she hates them. Having to administer them is not helping with building trust outside the bedroom. (I know that sounds sick, but she’s a totally different animal when I’m lying down.)

Until last night she had not been climbing at all, and she seems tentative. She has lost about 2 lbs since her surrender but the vet still describes her as “chunky,” so I suspect she was not an active cat in her prior life.

She loiters nearby when I’m eating, but I don’t want to encourage begging so I don’t give her any of my food.

by Anonymousreply 466December 17, 2019 10:47 PM

Definitely don’t share your food OP. I made this mistake and now my cat will climb on me to get a bite of whatever I am eating. I fix him his dinner and serve him when I eat but he still wants my food.

by Anonymousreply 467December 18, 2019 1:40 AM

OP wouldn't do something that STUPID, R467.

by Anonymousreply 468December 18, 2019 1:45 AM

Two pounds?! Yikes that's a lot. She must be a HEFTY or MEGACHONKER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469December 18, 2019 2:27 AM

I've had my rescue for 10 years. A snuggle lover on her own terms, and some days she wants constant attention. But walk near her unexpectantly, and she flees as if her tail was on fire. Don't take her running away personally... Some of them are just built that way.

by Anonymousreply 470December 18, 2019 3:16 AM

It’s 4:15 AM. I’m back from feeding Princess her num-nums.

by Anonymousreply 471December 19, 2019 8:23 AM

OP, don't give in to middle of the night/early am feedings. When you go to bed, make sure she has a bowl of dry food and toys she can play with on her own and ignore her until it's time for you to get up. You're establishing bad habits that will go on for 10 years or more - don't give in!

by Anonymousreply 472December 19, 2019 2:32 PM

It seems she’s already had ten years of “bad habits” so I have to break her of them which is trickier than not establishing them in the first place. Is it even possible?

by Anonymousreply 473December 19, 2019 3:19 PM

When she wakes you up, put her out of the room, shut the door and go back to bed.

by Anonymousreply 474December 19, 2019 3:32 PM

She's trying to break you of YOUR bad habits.

You know, like sleeping through the night?

by Anonymousreply 475December 19, 2019 3:33 PM

I’m not giving in on her begging for my food, but it makes me feel like I’m being mean, so I indulge her in fresh wet food for the crack of dawn. But she’s being such a prima donna over the eye drops, maybe she doesn’t deserve it. BTW eyes look bad today.

by Anonymousreply 476December 19, 2019 3:46 PM

Don't forget about getting the lysine for her wet food. Also, there's feeders that would automatically open either on a timer or when a tag on her collar signals it to open. If you continue with getting up to feed her (I'm thinking she is hungry so I would feed her too) you are going to be locked into that for a long time. The feeder would probably solve that problem.

by Anonymousreply 477December 20, 2019 6:24 PM

She’s eating lysine treats.

by Anonymousreply 478December 20, 2019 6:43 PM

The hour of awakening shifted from 5:30 to 4.30 to 3:30 last night, so I got up, she ran to the hall, and I closed the door behind her and went back to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 479December 20, 2019 6:45 PM

Hoping you have a restful holiday with your chonky cat OP.

by Anonymousreply 480December 25, 2019 3:08 AM

Thanks. Same to all.

by Anonymousreply 481December 25, 2019 5:45 AM

Merry Christmas to you and your Princess, OP. Wishing you much love and good health.

by Anonymousreply 482December 25, 2019 2:20 PM

I adopted my cats at 6 months old and though they misbehave in some ways, they are incredibly polite overnight. They leave me alone after their big dinner around 11pm until about 8-9 am when they get their big breakfast. I thank the lord, vishnu, allah and whoever else, my girls are great about letting me sleep. After about 9, they do start walking gently around the bed and perhaps paw my shoulder and face. But that is about it. It's when they start fighting each other that I know I have pushed it too far and roll out of bed and get breakfast ready.

by Anonymousreply 483December 26, 2019 12:23 AM

Mine let me sleep....they just want me over sleeping on weekends when they want to eat at 7AM. Cats like routine.

by Anonymousreply 484December 26, 2019 12:46 AM

I adopted a cat a couple of months ago, she was so sweet until I got the flu a few days ago. I guess we're through the honeymoon phase. She's quite comfortable being a temperamental hellion now.

by Anonymousreply 485December 26, 2019 2:42 AM

Now that her eye treatments are done, Nancy no longer hides. She’s usually hanging out in whatever room I’m in, though sometimes she wants her alone time. She now does a bit of performance art at feeding time, rolling on the floor, grooming and stretching. It reminds me of S oopy’s supper time dance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486December 30, 2019 12:03 AM

Congrats, OP, 'ya do e good!

by Anonymousreply 487December 30, 2019 11:50 AM

How are your cats doing, OP?

by Anonymousreply 488February 7, 2020 12:54 AM

Put your hand up in the air even if makes you look insane when you enter the room, OP. Cats will associate it with friendly straight up tail. It sounds crazy but it works. Cats think humans are just weird looking overgrown ugly other cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489February 7, 2020 2:24 PM

R488, as discussed above, I had to put Sid down shortly after the adoption when the vet determined he was terminally ill. Nancy is doing great. She is almost always within a few feet of me. We’ve reached a compromise on feeding. She has accepted that this is not a “Nom-Noms on Demand” household, and I have accepted that she will be fed expensive wet food six times a day.

Should I get her another companion? Perhaps a younger cat she can boss around?

by Anonymousreply 490February 7, 2020 6:57 PM

Thanks for the update OP!

A second cat could be great. Ideally one a few years old so that it's calmer -- older cats like Nancy would want nothing to do with a rambunctious kitten or teen cat. On the other hand, many cats are perfectly happy being solitary.

by Anonymousreply 491February 7, 2020 7:03 PM

If she's doing great and is happy there is no need to encumber her with another cat around.

by Anonymousreply 492February 7, 2020 7:19 PM

NO, no new cat. You'll fuck up everything you've been able to accomplish so far. Just let Nancy look out the window and fantasize about how many birds she can kill.

by Anonymousreply 493February 7, 2020 7:54 PM

Why, r493?

by Anonymousreply 494February 7, 2020 8:26 PM

If you were to get a new cat, I would suggest a beta kitten, which you would have to assiduously ignore (feed it after you feed Nancy), until Nancy adopts it as her own.

by Anonymousreply 495February 7, 2020 9:16 PM

Maybe first foster another cat to see how Juliet takes to sharing her space.

by Anonymousreply 496February 7, 2020 10:03 PM

I tried that female adopt a kitten stuff once. We found the kitten, it was a week or so old. Well, my three year old female had absolutely NO interest in the kitten. Her brother, however, was interested and played daddy. He liked her but was not happy when shes attack him (to play) while he was sleeping. You can't predict how these things will go.

I would not get another cat because it'll take a big adjustment, if fact, Nancy may never adjust. Back to the shelter.

by Anonymousreply 497February 7, 2020 10:55 PM

Another cat would only really make sense if you traveled constantly or had a work schedule that left Nancy alone most of the time. Your posts make it seem as if you are home much of the time and so that’s great for her.

On the other hand, it’s always great to provide a home for another kitty that needs one. That’s the best reason to consider another feline in your and Nancy’s life!

Most cats will eventually get along and may even have a great relationship, but you’ve got to have patience with that and a house or apartment with a floor plan that lets you easily separate them at first as they get acquainted. Males and females typically get along better.

by Anonymousreply 498February 7, 2020 11:46 PM

How are you and Nancy doing during these trying times, OP?

by Anonymousreply 499March 16, 2020 6:55 PM

R498, you obviously don'e watch "My Cat from Hell" on Animal Planet.

by Anonymousreply 500March 16, 2020 7:02 PM

Just bumping this to get an update. Hope all is well with Nancy. Did you ever adopt another kitty?

by Anonymousreply 501October 14, 2020 4:49 PM

What about me????

by Anonymousreply 502October 14, 2020 4:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!