Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Is The Most Important Life Lesson You Have Learned?

Just because you were born into a family does not mean they will never abandon you. Certain families place their Godly convictions and beliefs on you and expect you to conform to receive love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234December 28, 2019 3:10 AM

No good deed goes unpunished.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2019 12:57 PM

Whenever you feel upset/spiteful/wronged/etc ask yourself: Is it me or my ego talking? It's usually your ego, and ego is never a good advisor.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2019 1:00 PM

There are no free rides. If it seems too good to be true, that's because it is.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2019 1:20 PM

Never EVER believe someone when they tell you that shaving your pubic hair will rid you of crab infestation.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2019 1:26 PM

My biggest lesson is that no matter who we are, or where we came from, we all have the right to admit defeat, surrender, and heal. Shame is useless, especially when you carry shame from situations you had no control over.

Now that I genuinely realize that though my parents were/are troubled people (mom BPD-dad alcoholic), they both did the best they could, with what coping tools they had during my childhood.

Both came from a legacy of physical child abuse, which many in their time did. Irrational, religious dogma prevailed in convincing them, and their parents before them, that this was the right way, and correct way, to raise their children.

I am so sorry that my parents were left with such rage. As I type this out, I can see their faces, possessed with this powerful and vehemently powerful anger, looking and raining down on me, or on one another while married, not knowing myself, that I was just so small, so little, and as I child, I had no understanding of what I was witnessing. I just knew I was afraid.

Eventually, I was taught that being afraid never abated their child abuse towards us (the kids), and that no one could help, or make it better.

I grew up just faking everything, which is so easy to do when attending school, church services, youth Bible study. America’s churches are filled with churches that reinforce a child’s worthlessness, by teaching children that they are so utterly contemptible, a man had to die in a barbaric way, because they were just... born, I guess. There, we are further indoctrinated to believe that we deserved our abuse, creating a horrific codependency between us and all abusers who would later come our way, sanctioned by a man who died for us because we are nothing but shit.

I was never allowed to express anger, which I justifiably was. So I internalized that, and shut it off like most of us, with alcohol and drugs. What else could I do? Choices weren’t abounding or healthy.

My father was more like me. Passive, drank to deal with his anger that he too, wasn’t allowed nor taught to express in a healthy way. He died with a bottle next to him. My mom, on the other hand, is a woman who is deeply mired in her BPD. It’s too late for her, and she will most probably never get better.

I decided that she is just in no position currently, or back then, to be judged by me, in a way a stranger or outsider can judge her. She reveals very little of her childhood. But whatever happened, my mom is like a dog with rabies, who just has no clue at all, who she is, and what she’s done. Any attempt to discuss it, reveals her to be much like a wild, feral animal, trapped in a cage.

In order to heal from shit like this, forgiveness and acceptance is the only way to. The other choice is anger. Anger has done nothing but alienate me from authentic happiness, which I very much deserve.

So letting go with love, compassion, forgiveness is key to healing from growing up with dysfunctional parents. I have every right to be pissed, but that right, continues what they started, and the end of their story is not going to be mine.

So if you’re also from this, if you share similarities with my childhood, please, give yourselves a chance. You have the right to pursue your freedom of this, and you have the right to heal, and you deserve love, and good, non abusive, mentally ill, untreated people. And be patient, because it takes a minute to get better. Bumps in the road and delays are part of it.

That is all. 😊

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2019 2:06 PM

As bad as you think you had or have it, there are plenty of people who had or have it way worse.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2019 2:18 PM

R6, very true. Yet all of the years I spent telling myself this, I unknowingly created a wall between myself and good mental, and emotional health.

I am not able to walk into a time and place, existing for those who have it worse than I did, in order to save them. And I couldn’t even save myself when I was a child, so I was obviously of no use to other children then, either.

Rationalizing that others had it worse, only offers a lull, or more accurately, a limbo, in which I get to do what, exactly? Feel better that others had it worse? Tell myself that it wasn’t so bad, because that person over there, had it worse? Where is there any solution or healing, on that type of thinking?

And your response to what I wrote, inadvertently reinforces my point, that no matter what happened, where we came from, or how much worse it was for others, we have every right to recognize that we are capable of cleaning up our side of the street, and we have the right to process it all, move forward, and heal.

Unfortunately, I cannot save the world. But I can help myself, and by doing so, perhaps I will cross paths with someone in the future, whom is also looking for answers, compassion, and a person who understands and who listens. Perhaps that person is me, or not. That’s not my decision, and I’m not arrogant enough to think that I am in any position to help someone through something like this, just because.

Your response sounds a lot like what I was taught in Sunday school, which was: someone named Jesus suffered way more than you did, so suck it up and be grateful that he was nailed to a cross, instead of you.

I know you weren’t trying to be an asshole, and I’m not trying to be one either. Thanks for offering your perspective. It’s not a bad perspective, nor untrue, but it’s a perspective I had to discard, because it just doesn’t do anything for me, and kept me in lots of self persecution, shame, and most importantly, in denial, that I too, was in need of help and was deserving of it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2019 2:46 PM

Agree with first poster: no good deed goes unpunished. Also, you will never change anyone unless they really want to change; paraphrasing Maya Angelou, ‘what you see is what you get.’ Oh, and my sister had a good one. “What you love about a person in the beginning of a relationship is what you hate about them later on.”

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2019 3:02 PM

Living well is the best revenge. Karma usually has a way of punishing people who deserve it, so just live your life and move on from people who have hurt you

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2019 3:16 PM

Ask yourself: will I remember this on my deathbed?

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2019 3:33 PM

No one really knows anything.

-And-

Despite what anyone says on some level they will always need love from you.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2019 3:33 PM

Loneliness is dangerous and destructive.

Creative representations of happiness distort living a happy real life.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2019 3:35 PM

Always close your eyes tightly when rinsing after a shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2019 3:44 PM

It’s important to consider your actions and take responsibility for them. You have to live with yourself and it’s easier when you know you are acting with good intentions. Even if you aren’t, accepting the responsibility for that is important too.

It’s hard to make good decisions when you don’t know your own motivations or reasoning.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2019 3:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2019 4:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2019 4:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2019 4:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2019 4:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2019 4:39 PM

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2019 4:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2019 4:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2019 4:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2019 4:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2019 4:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2019 4:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 4:46 PM

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2019 4:53 PM

Beggars can, in fact, be choosers.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2019 5:01 PM

No one has any idea what the fuck they're doing no matter how much older or wiser you think they are. We're all like fairy tale characters lost in the forest, hoping to come up some friendly looking cottage to hang out in for awhile until we can brave the woods again.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2019 7:17 PM

Money can indeed buy you happiness however fleeting it might be

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2019 7:24 PM

Anyone who tells you they have THE answer is trying to sell you something

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2019 7:28 PM

It is better to be alone than to want to be.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2019 7:35 PM

Look after number 1

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2019 7:40 PM

It's later than you think. Get on with living.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2019 7:47 PM

If you wait until you're ready to do something, you might never do it.

Do not compare yourself to other people. Do not feel threatened by people who look like they've got their shit together, they do not. Everyone you know is damaged and has suffered some kind of tragedy, horror or abuse. It's impossible to go through life without.

Just wing it/fake it, that's what everybody else is doing.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2019 8:36 PM

Don't sweat the small stuff. Most of it never happens anyway.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2019 8:48 PM

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2019 8:51 PM

Karma is always keeping score

Religion never made anyone smarter

The heart has a mind of its own

You can think about anything you want when you jack off. But leave in the tissue when you are done.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2019 9:08 PM

A hard cock has no conscience.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2019 9:09 PM

Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2019 9:14 PM

People will only do what they know they can get away with.

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2019 9:16 PM

Debt is slavery.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2019 9:18 PM

"Act in haste, repent at leisure."

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2019 9:24 PM

People are selfish

If someone shows you who they are, believe them-the first time (Maya Angelou)

Most people aren't worth knowing

Never trust a charming person

Health and money are the most important things in life

Barebacking is dangerous

Better to be alone than with the wrong person

For the most part, really good looking people aren't worth it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2019 9:39 PM

R5 I needed that...

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2019 9:40 PM

Always wear a sports training bra to minimize jiggle and bounce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2019 9:41 PM

sometimes homosexuality is the highest form of narcissism

by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2019 9:44 PM

R47 expand

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2019 9:48 PM

r48 extreme narcissism in homosexual men. As gay men are attracted to men, I'm convinced some attractive narcissistic men are actually attracted to themselves, obsessively looking at themselves in mirrors etc. Wouldn't surprise me if they masturbate over themselves in mirrors. So therefore homosexuality can be the highest form or narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2019 9:51 PM

R49 interesting analysis. I can see your reasoning and it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2019 10:02 PM

When people are given the choice between what is right and what is easy they will usually choose easy.

Don’t share personal information with coworkers.

Be kind. Not for others sake but for your own.

Don’t respond to emails when angry.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2019 10:02 PM

Think about everything before you talk

Only say what you're willing to have repeated, especially in the workplace

Keep things to yourself, don't repeat things, and don't gossip

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2019 10:04 PM

Never spend more than you make.

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2019 10:06 PM

Save and invest

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2019 10:08 PM

Nobody is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2019 10:08 PM

If a person badmouths someone else when talking to you, they're badmouthing you when they're talking to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2019 10:09 PM

When you buy a house and start doing repairs-

[quote] righty tighty lefty loosy

It sounds like some kind of sexual advice, but it's not.

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2019 10:11 PM

Most (but not all) women are petty, shallow cunts who can't be trusted. They don't even like each other.

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2019 10:16 PM

Never use the phrase 'I love you' loosely and don't trust anyone who does. Only say it when you mean it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2019 10:17 PM

I used to think that Republicans were just misinformed and that’s why they were Republicans. However, I’ve come to the realization that they are evil incarnate. They are bad people. Very very bad people.

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2019 10:22 PM

Unless you are dealing with someone with a cluster B personality disorder 99% of people's irritating or difficult behaviour is based in anxiety. So calm down, so they can calm down and then we can both deal with the problem together. Bonus point... if that doesn't work then you might be dealing with someone with a personality disorder and back away fast.

by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2019 10:22 PM

Don't trust whitey.

by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2019 10:26 PM

Look both ways

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2019 10:28 PM

You can’t change someone.

This is particularly frustrating when you are a parent and it’s your fault your kid is a mopey introverted 13-year old. Yeah, I’d love it if her were a motivated genius who loved going to school, too, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2019 10:32 PM

Always pay off your credit card debt in full every month.

by Anonymousreply 65November 20, 2019 10:36 PM

Trust your gut. When you meet a person you get a bad vibe from, run. Don't rationalize that it's a first impression, give them a chance, etc. RUN!

by Anonymousreply 66November 20, 2019 10:54 PM

I am quite sarcastic and it can be cutting and enjoyable in the right group of people. I one time said something that was just cruel and the target of my comment looked destroyed. I can still dish it out--and take it--but I learned to never be cruel to someone just because I didn't want to let a joke or comment go unused. I still wince when I picture his face. In a life full of the normal mistakes, that's the one that I cannot forgive myself for.

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2019 11:59 PM

r61 rubbish, some people are just cunts cause they like to be

by Anonymousreply 68November 21, 2019 12:02 AM

Say it forget it, write it regret it.

by Anonymousreply 69November 21, 2019 12:06 AM

People are shitty.

Self reliance is the most important skill to master.

People will let you down even if they don’t mean too.

Having money is not overrated.

If it’s not written down it never happened

It’s ok to ask for help, just don’t always expect it.

by Anonymousreply 70November 21, 2019 12:14 AM

Always wear sunscreen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 21, 2019 12:19 AM

Floss.

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2019 12:32 AM

Never complain/never explain. -F Nietzsche

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2019 12:33 AM

Looks don't last forever.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2019 12:50 AM

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have fucked them all.

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2019 12:51 AM

Choose YOUR version of happiness.

by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2019 12:55 AM

[R67] I think I've been there. Forgive yourself. Everybody else has. It's called being human.

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2019 12:59 AM

Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people.

Life is not fair.

The meek do not inherit the earth.

Karma is not real.

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2019 1:00 AM

Beauty is a short-lived tyranny.

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2019 1:56 AM

Pay your taxes

Avoid liaisons with crazy people

Don't drive drunk

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2019 1:58 AM

The past is over, gone, and can never be changed. The future may never come at all. The present is the only thing that is real. Everything else is either a memory or a thought of "what if?"

So don't cheat yourself of this moment by reliving past traumas, thinking what you should have said or done differently, or worrying about things that may never even happen. It is a waste of time and all you're doing is robbing yourself of right now.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2019 2:36 AM

Pick up dog poop.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2019 2:37 AM

-Life is not a competition. Don't compare yourself to others. If you do, you'll never be good enough. Just do what you can and try your best.

-Listen more and judge less. Everyone has a story and a reason for being the way they are. People just want to feel understood and accepted as they are, flaws and all.

-This world is a harsh place. Don't be ashamed to reward yourself with a pat on the back every once in a while just for getting through the day. Sometimes that is a major accomplishment in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2019 2:55 AM

This quote by Dita Von Teese

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2019 3:09 AM

R67 Thank you for that story. That is what I meant about being kind for your own sake.

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2019 4:02 PM

or if you can't be kind at least don't be cruel.

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2019 4:07 PM

A funeral shroud has no pockets.

by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2019 4:38 PM

India is overrated and the Taj Mahal visit dooms marriages

by Anonymousreply 88November 21, 2019 8:15 PM

You can't just say that and not tell what happened, R88.

by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2019 8:21 PM

Meth is not a sometimes recreational drug, if you think you might have a problem you probably do. Get some help before you lose everything.

by Anonymousreply 90November 21, 2019 8:30 PM

The person who offended you was probably right. And remember, no one ever died from being offended.

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2019 8:39 PM

You know what gives you AIDS make better choices.

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2019 8:56 PM

Never waste a hard on. Never trust a fart.

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2019 9:26 PM

The amount of real friends most people have, you can count on one hand. I'm talking REAL friends, the ones who will invite you over for the holidays if you're alone, that will pick you up from the airport, help you move, get you soup hen you're sick, or be there with you and eat crap over a bad breakup.

by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2019 9:34 PM

when choosing a partner, choose the one with a great job but average looks rather than the good looking one with OK job.

by Anonymousreply 95November 22, 2019 4:51 AM

Good guys definitely finish last.

by Anonymousreply 96November 22, 2019 4:52 AM

Crying is your friend. Well not... obsessively crying, seek help.

by Anonymousreply 97November 22, 2019 4:54 AM

What do you mean r88?

by Anonymousreply 98November 22, 2019 4:54 PM

R94, very true. So many people like to think they have dozens if not hundreds of friends, but they're really just people they're cordial with. These aren't real friendships. Everyone's lucky to have one or two true friends in their lifetime. Treasure them.

by Anonymousreply 99November 22, 2019 6:25 PM

If you have five good friends, you don’t need a lover.

You can have a great job, a great apartment, or a great relationship, but not all at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 100November 23, 2019 7:27 PM

No one really cares what you think. And they usually forget what you say 2 seconds later.

by Anonymousreply 101November 23, 2019 7:45 PM

Anything worth having in life takes a lot of work.

Whether it's a great job, romantic relationships, friendships, or just a clean house. So many people are envious of others who seem to have it all, but those people have worked hard to get those things. Most don't work to put in the hard work to be successful at life.

by Anonymousreply 102November 23, 2019 8:00 PM

Hindsight is 20/20.

by Anonymousreply 103November 23, 2019 8:02 PM

Losing control of yourself publicly, be it with your words, your temper, or your bowels, will lose you respect and opportunity. Control yourself. Tantrums and outbursts are synonymous with babies and toddlers, for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 104November 23, 2019 8:03 PM

Never text when you're drunk.

by Anonymousreply 105November 23, 2019 8:07 PM

Life is about the journey, not the destination.

by Anonymousreply 106November 23, 2019 8:15 PM

Always do right. It’s not easy but the rewards are many.

by Anonymousreply 107November 23, 2019 8:21 PM

If someone has wronged you, always get revenge, even if you have to wait years to do so.

Resentment festers. Revenge is cathartic.

Forgiveness is for losers.

by Anonymousreply 108November 23, 2019 8:31 PM

R108 come sit with me. I’ve seen many a cunt that has harmed me be taken down by karma or a slice of revenge served ice cold. Turn the other cheek? Nonsense!

by Anonymousreply 109November 23, 2019 8:40 PM

We're kindred spirits, R109. Once I have had retribution I can move on and forget about those who have harmed me.

However, it can take time to track down past enemies and devise a suitable punishment. But it's worth it in the end.

by Anonymousreply 110November 23, 2019 8:46 PM

R110 definitely. They have/had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 111November 23, 2019 8:53 PM

r102 is wrong. There are people like our president who have never worked hard a day in their life. They were born into money and their kids will be too. Life isn't about working hard. It's more about learning what is worth working hard for and balancing that with enjoying play and relaxation as much as possible. Big houses, fancy cars mean nothing in the end. It's about your journey.

by Anonymousreply 112November 23, 2019 9:28 PM

R110, forgiveness means you’re DONE with that individual. It does not mean you want to break bread with them.

by Anonymousreply 113November 23, 2019 9:38 PM

R113 - People who do you harm need to be punished. An eye for an eye... It's not just about personal revenge, it's about deterring the perpetrator from harming others in the future.

I'm Old Testament, not New.

by Anonymousreply 114November 23, 2019 9:43 PM

[quote] Life isn't about working hard. It's more about learning what is worth working hard for and balancing that with enjoying play and relaxation as much as possible. Big houses, fancy cars mean nothing in the end. It's about your journey.

Uh, I said nothing about big houses and fancy cars, or anything material, in my post. Did you miss the part about romantic relationships and friendships? Stop misrepresenting my words.

by Anonymousreply 115November 24, 2019 4:18 PM

Don’t vote for a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 116November 28, 2019 9:34 AM

Life

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117November 28, 2019 10:15 AM

Unique

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 28, 2019 10:17 AM

Acheivment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 28, 2019 10:19 AM

Walk your own path

Don't hesitate when you should act

Experience what you have learned

Good things don't come easy

Never fail to try more

Take care of your health early.

by Anonymousreply 120November 28, 2019 10:37 AM

Cultivate and nurture your friendships, as these people will be with you long term.

Never underestimate the capacity for a lover to become your worst enemy, a treacherous liar and/or a saboteur.

Never trust co-workers or management with personal info nor participate in office gossip.

You have freedom of association. Your family is not an obligation, but simply a fact of birth.

by Anonymousreply 121November 28, 2019 10:47 AM

When someone shows you who they are, believe them. - Ms. Angelou

by Anonymousreply 122November 28, 2019 10:56 AM

If yesterday is heavy, you have to put it down. Carrying it around with you makes no sense. Easier said than done without chemicals or alcohol to help you forget it though, but it's true. We all have to find a way to free ourselves and walk away.

by Anonymousreply 123November 28, 2019 11:08 AM

Travel. Move around. Don't stay in the same place forever. When you have an opportunity, try to say say yes more often than no.

by Anonymousreply 124November 28, 2019 11:26 AM

What someone else thinks of you is none of your business.

by Anonymousreply 125November 28, 2019 11:27 AM

Feelings are not facts.

by Anonymousreply 126November 28, 2019 11:28 AM

Use lots of lube when u do double anal!

by Anonymousreply 127November 28, 2019 11:32 AM

[quote]Money can indeed buy you happiness however fleeting it might be

Actually, money cant buy happiness it rents happiness.

by Anonymousreply 128November 28, 2019 11:34 AM

Life is like a piece of toilet paper, sometimes you are on a roll, other times you are taking shit from some asshole.

by Anonymousreply 129November 28, 2019 11:41 AM

Only the goyim pay retail.

by Anonymousreply 130November 28, 2019 11:46 AM

Winners know WHEN to quit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 28, 2019 12:04 PM

[quote]When someone shows you who they are, believe them. - Ms. Angelou

That has become so true lately. People tell me in jest they are a real asshole and they were. People tell me they only care about them self and it proved to be true.

by Anonymousreply 132November 28, 2019 12:08 PM

Never trust closeted fags; they are all shitty fucktawds.

by Anonymousreply 133November 28, 2019 1:59 PM

When in doubt, apply more powder.

by Anonymousreply 134November 28, 2019 2:57 PM

No good deed goes unpunished.

by Anonymousreply 135November 28, 2019 3:02 PM

Don't try to rise too high, the comedown hits harder.

by Anonymousreply 136November 28, 2019 3:03 PM

Never befriend a person like R133.

Staying in the closet is a personal choice, and you don’t owe anyone an explanation as to why you chose to.

People who love you, will accept you as you are, gay, bi, straight. Unfortunately, the closet exists precisely because people like R133 created it, in order for them to shame others, rather than to allow people to exist on their own terms, rather than demanding gays, Bis and lesbians pretend to be something they aren’t, so that they can go to bed every night under a false guise of superiority, while feeling smug.

Fuck you, R133.

Happy Thanksgiving, to all of my closeted bitches here on DL. 😘

by Anonymousreply 137November 28, 2019 5:18 PM

[137] I hope that your post was sarcastic. It was hard to tell. But, in case it wasn’t you just proved [133]’s post. And a happy thanksgiving to you too.

by Anonymousreply 138November 28, 2019 5:33 PM

People you step on on the way up will be there to trip you when you are on the way down. Be nice to everyone whether you like them or not.

by Anonymousreply 139November 28, 2019 9:11 PM

Keep your mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 140November 28, 2019 9:21 PM

An old drag queen once told me " Let them stare! They stare at the Mona Lisa too!"

by Anonymousreply 141December 19, 2019 6:38 PM

Find your crew. Everybody fits in somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 19, 2019 6:41 PM

Look out for number 1. Don't step in number 2 either.

by Anonymousreply 143December 19, 2019 7:10 PM

Before standing up, check your lap for loose objects.

by Anonymousreply 144December 20, 2019 4:28 AM

When leaving a room or area, look behind you, your seat etc to make sure you haven't left anything behind.

by Anonymousreply 145December 20, 2019 4:36 AM

Beware of magic, kryptonite & red suns.

These things are everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 146December 20, 2019 4:39 AM

Get rid of the Borg before they get rid of you.

by Anonymousreply 147December 20, 2019 4:40 AM

Play up your illness so when others around you drop dead

it's more of a shock.

by Anonymousreply 148December 20, 2019 4:43 AM

Any technology sufficiently advanced is totally indistinguishable from magic.

by Anonymousreply 149December 20, 2019 4:44 AM

Don't believe the idiotic pop psychology belief that "You can't run away from your problems " and "Leaving won't change anything, it's all internal ". If you have an intensely negative reaction to a certain location /town /city, get the fuck out. It's not always just internal. Living in a place you hate destroys the spirit. Don't wait until you're too damaged to function to figure that out.

by Anonymousreply 150December 20, 2019 5:19 AM

[quote]An old drag queen once told me " Let them stare! They stare at the Mona Lisa too!"

Except everyone thinks the Mona Lisa fugly. They stare at it for the painters technique not the homely model's face.

by Anonymousreply 151December 20, 2019 6:01 AM

You're old, you sag, get over it

by Anonymousreply 152December 20, 2019 6:21 AM

Yes, the Mona lisa is old and saggy. NOT a thing of beauty.

by Anonymousreply 153December 20, 2019 6:26 AM

Never let your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash

by Anonymousreply 154December 20, 2019 9:26 AM

No one except your yourself can affirm your self-worth.

Not even your parents.

by Anonymousreply 155December 20, 2019 10:24 AM

The state of Israel is more important than the US homeless.

So don't be homeless in the US.

by Anonymousreply 156December 21, 2019 2:28 AM

A pair of pixies once told me that every time a bell rings, some angel's just got his wings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157December 21, 2019 2:54 AM

I would say this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158December 21, 2019 3:04 AM

Own your shit. You say you’re doing something, get it done. Never pass the buck. GET IT DONE.

by Anonymousreply 159December 21, 2019 4:35 AM

When the answer is no, do not give up. There is something better in store for you.

by Anonymousreply 160December 21, 2019 5:42 AM

Two pieces of ancient wisdom with which we have a very difficult time: "Know Thyself" and "All Things Are Governed By Fate". And so inner peace and calm eludes us.

by Anonymousreply 161December 21, 2019 5:11 PM

Of all mortals he who bears his fate rightly to me seems noblest and of soundest sense.

by Anonymousreply 162December 21, 2019 5:21 PM

Don't trust ANYONE

by Anonymousreply 163December 21, 2019 5:25 PM

Aside from a good, loving parent (usually a mother), the only person who really cares about you is yourself. So, act in your own best interest. Romantic love and friendships are mostly conditional. (Conditioned on you not getting fat, not losing your job, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 164December 21, 2019 5:54 PM

He who laughs last has figured out some one to blame it on.

by Anonymousreply 165December 21, 2019 5:58 PM

Lol, many of you are deeply shallow.

by Anonymousreply 166December 21, 2019 6:04 PM

Don't interfere in a fight.

Good guys finish last, there is a reason people say this.

Don't trust anyone, not even your mother.

by Anonymousreply 167December 21, 2019 6:04 PM

Everything in life is about money. And when someone says "it's not about the money"--it's REALLY about the money.

by Anonymousreply 168December 21, 2019 6:15 PM

Sadly r168 is right

by Anonymousreply 169December 21, 2019 7:09 PM

All cats are grey in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 170December 21, 2019 7:23 PM

It's always better to have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

by Anonymousreply 171December 21, 2019 7:44 PM

Resentment is like swallowing poison and expecting the other person to die.

by Anonymousreply 172December 21, 2019 7:52 PM

When Maya Angelou shows you who she really is, believe her.

by Anonymousreply 173December 21, 2019 8:01 PM

Just say YES.

by Anonymousreply 174December 21, 2019 8:27 PM

If a man takes off his pants for you, please him. Let him know he rocks your world.

by Anonymousreply 175December 21, 2019 9:03 PM

Pay your taxes!

by Anonymousreply 176December 21, 2019 10:25 PM

The amount of money you make is only a small part of “success”

by Anonymousreply 177December 21, 2019 10:31 PM

r112 I don't support the President, but the man did put in a good deal of work once upon a time. His father's business was in Brooklyn or something, Trump brought it to Manhattan. It wasn't the deals, that made Trump a household name, it's the PR that he could create that was the real work behind the current Trump Corporation. He's like the 70s/80s version of the Kardashians or maybe mid-2000s Paris Hilton, just people who's job is PR and attention. Never mind the actual business, which a 1000 other people do quietly ad successfully. Trump is a master of PR. His message always reaches the target audience in a digestible manner. That skill lead him to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and millions of zombie like followers. Again, I detest Trump, but the man can spin and grab attention better than an Olympic figure skater. I'd call that work.

Back to the Op's topic, be confident and stop apologizing for everything, especially at work. Be a knife, unflappable and able to cit through the bullshit so that you can move up to your next adventure.

by Anonymousreply 178December 21, 2019 11:19 PM

Just because you’re paranoid, it doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you...

by Anonymousreply 179December 21, 2019 11:27 PM

Don't stick your arm in a wood chipper.

by Anonymousreply 180December 21, 2019 11:32 PM

No one has the right to abuse you, and you have every right to cut them off forever.

by Anonymousreply 181December 21, 2019 11:50 PM

R181 "cut them off forever".

You mean it grows back?

Asking for a friend...

by Anonymousreply 182December 22, 2019 12:37 AM

I learned Tori Amos Is the most underrated artist of the 90s or the century

by Anonymousreply 183December 22, 2019 12:43 AM

R181 like cut off their weenie lol

by Anonymousreply 184December 22, 2019 12:45 AM

Don't adopt in Korea.

by Anonymousreply 185December 22, 2019 12:46 AM

Don't adopt in Korea.

by Anonymousreply 186December 22, 2019 12:46 AM

R182 oops I just saw your comment R184. I guess we were thinking the same thing. 😉

by Anonymousreply 187December 22, 2019 12:46 AM

One big one: stop watching porn and stay off social media.

by Anonymousreply 188December 22, 2019 12:47 AM

Why R188 ?

by Anonymousreply 189December 22, 2019 12:49 AM

People who say “like” have rights too! Unfortunately

by Anonymousreply 190December 22, 2019 12:55 AM

R188, just from my experience and observations, because both tend to needlessly gobble up your life and can often lead to huge net losses. They're draining and demoralizing. Most people think they can limit their use so that there are no negative effects, but that's kind of like saying the same for cocaine. Ok, good luck, but it's risky.

Don't attack me if you disagree. It's just something I've learned that's been very valuable in my life and may be helpful to others.

by Anonymousreply 191December 22, 2019 12:55 AM

R191 was a reply to R189.

by Anonymousreply 192December 22, 2019 12:57 AM

If you find yourself drifting away from a friend, it's for a good reason. Don't force the friendship to continue. Just let it go in whatever direction it seems to be going in. And just because you've been friends with someone for a long time, is no reason to stay friends with them (assuming they've stabbed you in the back or acted like an ass in some way).

by Anonymousreply 193December 22, 2019 12:59 AM

R191 I won't attack you, I stay clear of social media (except here of course) but I live gay pron. But I don't pay for it. How is it financially draining for you ?

by Anonymousreply 194December 22, 2019 1:01 AM

R188 says as he posts on datalounge

by Anonymousreply 195December 22, 2019 1:07 AM

And how R1, and how!

by Anonymousreply 196December 22, 2019 1:19 AM

That I can acknowledge my emotions but they don’t have to influence my actions.

by Anonymousreply 197December 22, 2019 1:36 AM

People don't change. Whatever bad behavior you see early on will remain

by Anonymousreply 198December 22, 2019 1:37 AM

People do change only if they WANT to change. And it must come from them, not from others telling them so. But if people do change it's usually for the worse, rarely for the better.

by Anonymousreply 199December 22, 2019 2:25 AM

R183, love this and agree. Her work is kind of my sacred ground I return to whenever things become too much. Very much a blessing in my life. If you get her, you GET her, and if you don't, you REALLY don't..

by Anonymousreply 200December 22, 2019 8:30 PM

Don't put Deep Heat on your balls!

by Anonymousreply 201December 22, 2019 9:11 PM

R166 calling others shallow as you type "lol"

by Anonymousreply 202December 22, 2019 9:19 PM

[r150] agreed. I think it is important to really narrow down what bugs you about a place. Then you can make a good decision to leave for something better.

Friends who could afford it have left small places to move to big cities and loved it. They could afford it, had good job prospects, and friends nearby. They understood what would be best for them long-term. Randomly couch surfing and jumping from place to place only works for unstable people who can't plan.

by Anonymousreply 203December 22, 2019 10:58 PM

Just because life isn't an MGM musical doesn't mean you can't break out in song sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 204December 23, 2019 12:06 AM

If you look after #1, all you'll find is #2.

by Anonymousreply 205December 23, 2019 3:58 AM

Before going out, lose 1 accessory.

by Anonymousreply 206December 23, 2019 4:07 AM

Always check to see if your parking brake is engaged.

by Anonymousreply 207December 23, 2019 4:10 AM

You really do get to play every part - just not all at fucking once, Dear

by Anonymousreply 208December 23, 2019 4:32 AM

Don’t plagiarize people’s shit.

The person you ripped off might MAGICALLY come across it, and knows you’re a FRAUD, lacking in self pride and integrity, and so do you.

by Anonymousreply 209December 23, 2019 5:55 AM

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

by Anonymousreply 210December 23, 2019 1:57 PM

"You spray 'em, you lay 'em".

by Anonymousreply 211December 23, 2019 3:40 PM

Don't stick gerbils up your asshole.

by Anonymousreply 212December 23, 2019 4:13 PM

Always remember where you come from so when you get to where you're going, you'll know how far you've come.

by Anonymousreply 213December 23, 2019 7:53 PM

Quote[Don't EVER work for a "family" business!]

From another thread and so true. Only work for a family business if you are part of the family.

by Anonymousreply 214December 23, 2019 9:21 PM

I am trying to learn to stop loosing my temper.

by Anonymousreply 215December 23, 2019 9:32 PM

I am trying to learn to stop loosing my temper.

by Anonymousreply 216December 23, 2019 9:32 PM

DNA 🧬 is real, you kill you will be caught.

by Anonymousreply 217December 23, 2019 9:40 PM

The least qualified, competent people talk the most.

by Anonymousreply 218December 24, 2019 1:00 AM

R218 unless if it’s about their health. People know their bodies. Doctors have no clue.

by Anonymousreply 219December 24, 2019 3:02 AM

don't give a shit about what other people think about you; at the end of the day, you have to live with yourself.

by Anonymousreply 220December 24, 2019 3:16 AM

R219 If that were true, even in the least bit, we wouldn't have such an explosion of STDs. Unless the hypothesis is people with STDs knowingly and intentionally infect others?

People don't "know their bodies". They just suck at communicating facts versus emotions when talking to doctors.

by Anonymousreply 221December 24, 2019 3:58 PM

Life may be a bed of roses, but you have to watch out for the pricks.

by Anonymousreply 222December 24, 2019 9:34 PM

Life may be a bed of roses, but you have to watch out for the pricks.

by Anonymousreply 223December 24, 2019 9:34 PM

The same problems happen over and over because I don't do anything different in order to make them stop happening.

by Anonymousreply 224December 24, 2019 10:37 PM

"Well, first you give him a blow job..."

Worked for me!

by Anonymousreply 225December 24, 2019 11:11 PM

When in doubt... whip it out

by Anonymousreply 226December 25, 2019 1:43 AM

Lose a little of your ego everyday.

by Anonymousreply 227December 26, 2019 11:05 PM

" Your truest friend will tell you the unkindest truth"- " The Once and Future King"- T.H.White

That book permanently changed my life for the better.

by Anonymousreply 228December 26, 2019 11:09 PM

If you have to prove yourself, then you’ve lost your worth.

by Anonymousreply 229December 27, 2019 3:40 AM

Creating Peace can leave you in pieces.

by Anonymousreply 230December 27, 2019 4:56 AM

If you throw away your dreams and hopes to "help " someone else , you may feel good about yourself and self righteous initially. But ultimately you will be left deeply embittered and empty. You matter too.

by Anonymousreply 231December 27, 2019 4:59 AM

Drugs kill. Watch the people you allow in your life.

by Anonymousreply 232December 27, 2019 9:48 PM

Masturbation is the key to a joyful existence. x

by Anonymousreply 233December 27, 2019 10:06 PM

He or she is no longer. It’s they now.

by Anonymousreply 234December 28, 2019 3:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!