Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Saying "No Problem" to a thank you...

I've seen it on threads here, that people hate this response. Why is it so hated? I like this and "no worries." I mean it as, Hey you're not bothering me, happy to do it. But I guess other people don't take it that way.

What say DL?

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2019 12:21 PM

Doesn't bother me in the least. I think the hate for it is a generational thing.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 3:43 PM

How about, "Ah, fugget about it!"

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 3:46 PM

The other day someone thanked me for holding the door and I found myself responding "yup." I was appalled at how crass it sounded.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 3:58 PM

R3 if I had heard that I'd just think you were saying you're welcome. I don't see the problem.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 3:59 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I dislike the "no problem" and "no worries" responses. I always say thank-you to people who are assisting me. You're welcome acknowledges this. "No problem" for what? Doing your job? And "no worries?" I don't worry about much, and am glad you are not worried either.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 4:01 PM

More honest than “you’re welcome” which is almost always a lie.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2019 4:03 PM

No problem

Happy to do it.

One definitely sounds more positive.

Even though I do it myself, I don't understand what happened to saying "You're Welcome" instead most say 'Thank you' in return. I try to say "You're Welcome" but too often 'Thank You" comes out in return to a Thank You.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2019 4:05 PM

R6 is right. You're welcome isn't honest. Sometimes people ARE bothering you and they aren't welcome. But you can't say that.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2019 4:07 PM

It’s generational and not widespread. I’m over 50 and recognize “no problem” as just slang for “you’re welcome.” “No worries” is weird as a “you’re welcome” substitute, though. It’s more of a response for a minor apology than a thank you. I use it when people text to say they’re running late or similar.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2019 4:09 PM

“You’re welcome” is not actually a lie most of the time. Honestly, some of you lead very cynical lives.

If someone’s request is “bothering” you, you have every right to tell them “no,” unless it’s your job to perform the task requested, in which case STFU, do your job, and make a sincere attempt to say “you’re welcome.” If this is troublesome for you, find a new line of work.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 4:11 PM

" No problem" = what I did wasn't a problem for me; had it been a problem, I would not have done it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2019 4:22 PM

It doesn't bother me as much as when I thank a service person for ringing up my purchase and I get no acknowledgement at all.

When a service worker replies in with a 'no worries' or 'no problem', I just assume the intent behind the words are the same as "you're welcome." I don't think it's healthy to get all worked up over things like that when they're trying to be polite by their standards, if not mine. Now when the cashier runs the entire transaction wordlessly, especially after I say thank you, that pisses me off.

And yes I have worked retail and waited tables and all that in my life and I know how it can suck, but manners go both ways.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2019 4:32 PM

“You’re welcome” is just a rote response—a social convention. What’s the point of freaking out as it is replaced by another formulaic response? What matters is that the recipient of your thanks is acknowledging your expression of gratitude. Obsessing over the literal meaning of a social formula is just looking for an excuse to be upset.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2019 5:13 PM

It's definitely the kind of complaint that merits an "ok boomer."

I think "no problem" as in "helping you has been no problem for me" is a much more heartfelt response than the more formal and rote "you're welcome." I usually only say "no worries" if the person has apologized while thanking me, as a friendly reassurance.

Anyone who gets irate about the lack of formality needs to unclench.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2019 5:19 PM

"helping you has been no problem for me"

If it had inconvenienced me in any way, I would have said," Fuck you, do it yourself."

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2019 5:23 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2019 5:25 PM

"You're welcome" often seems conceited to me, especially if whatever it is that I've done took absolutely no effort and/or I'm being paid to do it.

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 5:35 PM

Cheesy, but I kinda like it when people say, in a warm sincere tone, "you are so welcome!" It just sounds like they really mean it. But generally, I agree with R17. But also with R16.

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 6:37 PM

My late Mom hated both of those expressions. She would later comment (off the record) "why should it be a PROBLEM when I'm spending my money, and you're doing your job?" I could see her point, especially since the person using a phrase like that was typically doing an indifferent job to begin with. If I help someone, and they thank me, I usually reply, "happy to help". Believe it or not, in my case, that's actually sincere.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 7:31 PM

Cognitive dissonance. P

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 7:46 PM

" You're welcome" = Boomer expression of acknowledgment " No Problem," " No worries" = Millennial expression of acknowledgment Face in phone and nod- Gen Z expression of acknowledgment

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 8:45 PM

r21, and GenXers don't even respond.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 8:46 PM

I hate it when I say “thank you,” “excuse me” or “sorry” to someone and they say “you’re good”

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2019 8:47 PM

R19 your mother was right! I hate "no problem" when I've just spent money or if I've had a problem, and the person is paid to resolve it. I thank them for their help, and they say, No problem. It feels like they're holding it over me that it WAS a problem for me but for nobody else. I always say, "No, you're wrong. It was a problem, and you resolved it. Thank you." That makes them speechless. They have no alternative comebacks. (Very verbally limited, these younger generations.) Frankly, I prefer "My pleasure!" instead of "You're welcome."

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2019 8:55 PM

No problem and no worries don’t bother me. You’re welcome is welcomed!

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2019 9:14 PM

I find it similar to, or no different to "no trouble at all" (which is heard frequently in transactions, or requests for assistance from clerks in Britain, even the more "mature" people working in shops). A request is often phrased "Can I trouble you for...." I often reply "my pleasure". It's still an acknowledgment nonetheless.

I'm sure the same faction on DL which doesn't excuse typos or misspellings is the offended group declaring there is only one "respectful" response. Very rigid and uptight to be so offended.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2019 9:31 PM

It's better than, "Whatever, cunt."

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2019 10:10 PM

Damn. The shit you people stew over.

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2019 10:12 PM

[quote]GenXers don't even respond.

False you fucking faker.

We've always had "WHATEVER."

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2019 11:08 PM

You're welcome is said often in a passive aggressive way. And welcome to what exactly?

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2019 11:11 PM

[quote] "helping you has been no problem for me" If it had inconvenienced me in any way, I would have said," Fuck you, do it yourself."

OMG, you freaks. Comments like the above are so paranoid and ridiculous. "No problem" is a rote response just like "you're welcome"; nobody's thinking it through to what they'd say or do if it were a problem or trying to imply they only did it because it was easy. If people did mean the above when saying "no problem," then "you're welcome" users could just as easily mean "You're welcome to my very limited services, but I'd have told you to fuck yourself if things had been more complicated."

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2019 11:25 PM

In France isn’t it common to say “pas de problem”?

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2019 11:52 PM

I’m embarrassed to say that I have started to say “yep” when people say thank you.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2019 11:52 PM

People just aren't welcome anymore. You're not welcome! I don't know you! I get home and lick my door.

Frankly interacting with you was no problem. Don't push it and pretend it's the says of good manners. It's just not like that anymore. You are NOT welcome.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2019 12:11 AM

Fuck being offended. Fuck it so hard it explodes. Geez fucking Louise!!

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2019 12:14 AM

Even worse than "no problem" is "you're fine." It sounds so rude. I want to murder people who say it to me!

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2019 12:16 AM

Everyone needs to watch this video. It is a classic. Thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2019 1:24 AM

R32

I know in French "de rien" is common which literally means "of nothing", which functionally means the same thing as "no problem". The Spanish use "de nada" which means the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2019 1:39 AM

How about "my pleasure"?

Now excuse me while I go over here and start pleasuring myself ooohh uuh I touched your hand oh it was pleasurable...ggrrh

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2019 1:43 AM

Because Olds.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2019 1:44 AM

You've just taken something beautiful and turned it into something DIRTY, R39!

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2019 2:01 AM

Thank you for this thread OP.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2019 2:08 AM

No problem.

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2019 2:08 AM

I have no problem with “no problem”.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2019 2:51 AM

Our amigos south of the border say “no problemo.”

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2019 3:11 AM

OK, Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2019 3:17 AM

Fuck off, snowflake. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2019 3:33 AM

Americans do seem quite picky about this, as they're not keen on "cheers" either. They often mock those of us who say it.

by Anonymousreply 48December 3, 2019 2:09 AM

Isn't "no worries" an Australian expression? If so, Americans who say it are practicing cultural appropriation, which is yet another reason to hate them!

by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2019 2:21 AM

[quote]How about "my pleasure"?

There is a big difference between My Pleasure and No Problem. For example, I might give a stinky old lady on the bus my seat because I can stand longer than she can. That's no problem but it's certainly NOT my pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2019 6:42 AM

Stop saying "No problem"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2019 12:11 PM

It's not just the youngsters. I would take my now-deceased elderly mother to dinner. On one occasion when, she didn't bite among the options I provided, I decided the venue for myself. I almost lost it when she, my guest, mind you, uttered, "no problem."

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2019 12:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!