Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the biggest surgery you've ever had?

I've had a radical neck dissection that landed in me ICU, so that was pretty bad, but I am having open-heart surgery at the end of the week, so I think that will take the crown. What's the biggest surgical procedure you've had?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2019 2:56 AM

Total hip replacement. 2 years ago. It was successful. Previous broken hip caused avascular necrosis. hence the THR. I haven't been normal since. Gait OK, technically successful, but life altering. Lots of pain, rehab etc. A big deal.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 7:51 AM

I had two rods, eight screws, and a bracket put in my back after breaking it in an accident. At the same time, I had two metal plates put in my arm for my shattered radius and ulna.

That was no fun. They hurt all the time, but I've become used to it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 7:57 AM

Can I have your stuff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 9:10 AM

Craniotomy and first cervical laminectomy with a durable mater graft to repair a chiari malformation (that's surgery around my brain, for non-medical people) I threw up every time I opened my eyes for days post-op, and I I threw up multiple times a day for weeks after that. I had to have therapy to walk, feed myself, etc. because my sense of proprioception was gone for a while. After a week at home, my brain swelled and I almost died.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 9:31 AM

Appendectomy. I know, weanie.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 9:38 AM

Another appendectomy. New Year's Eve 1965 at 1AM, my appendix burst. I remember the whiskey fumes in the OR before I went under. Spent 10 days in hospital, which was the standard post-op stay at the time.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2019 9:54 AM

r6 Same for me -- but in 1971. I was a sophomore in college and they did emergency surgery; the appendix burst during the surgery. I have a seven-inch scar across my abdomen. And I was in the hospital for two weeks afterward.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2019 3:42 PM

Another appendectomy. Unfortunately, I was out of town and went to the emergency room of a local hospital with severe abdominal pain. Doctor who saw me didn't want to be bothered with me, so he just gave me pain pills and to see my doctor as soon as I got home.

Pain pills worked for a couple of days. The day I was scheduled to fly home, the pain started to recur. I went back to the same emergency room, but this time a different doctor who didn't blow me off. She asked me what my plans were for the rest of the afternoon. I told her I was scheduled to fly home. She told me to change my plans, as there was no way I could leave that hospital without surgery.

This was only the beginning of a very negative experience I had with this hospital, just one in a very long line of absurd errors this hospital made. It was the first time I'd ever been an inpatient in a hospital and showed me what a mind fuck and joke the entire medical system in the United States actually is.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2019 3:51 PM

Removal of gall bladder and while they had me torn open, took out my appendix too. In hospital for 4 days. This was way back in '72 before they advanced mightily in the gall bladder removal area. Today, I would probably have just a little incision dimple instead of the 4 inch gash running down my lower belly.

Surprisingly, I had a couple of toes removed last year due to complications from diabetes, I was in and out of the hospital in under 4 hours on that day. Still so strange to look down and see that those toes are gone. Oh well, two less toenails to trim.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2019 4:26 PM

Emergency appendectomy. It scared the shit out of me because my younger sister had died of peritonitis after her appendix ruptured.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 4:34 PM

Circumcision

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2019 4:42 PM

Labotomy

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2019 4:56 PM

Melanoma removed from my backside of my upper right arm.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2019 5:04 PM

Ingrown toenail on my big toe, right foot. Even being anesthetized in my toe, I could still feel the pain, the most excruciating of my life. It was a nightmare I could never experience again.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2019 5:06 PM

I had a kidney stone pulverized with sound waves. Partially pulverized.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2019 5:15 PM

Whipple procedure - big abdominal surgery. Very painful with a long recovery after complications. I’m fine now, though.

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2019 6:04 PM

Facelift, cheek and chin implants, eyelid lift, and liposuction. All in one day.

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 6:06 PM

I have to admit I'm somewhat surprised that no one's chimed in with "gender reassignment."

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 6:07 PM

Five hours of liposuction with butt augmentation from the fat. Total fat loss = 2 or 3 lbs. but my body looked like another person.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 6:09 PM

Cancerous testicle removed and lymph node resection.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 6:16 PM

I don’t know if this is the proper venue?

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 6:22 PM

I have had over 20 surgeries. My biggest one will be in December I’m having a Parotidectomy.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 6:29 PM

Isn’t that a pretty big procedure R22?

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2019 6:36 PM

R23 yes, I’m scared shitless.

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2019 7:04 PM

I’ll pray for you R24!

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2019 7:57 PM

Ovariohysterectony, luckily turned out to be totally endoscopic. I have very tiny scars.

I've also had six foot surgeries, the last being having my medial left foot re-built and straightened. With post-surgical complications, I was out of work for nearly a year. Luckily I had planned for a worst case scenario, and had a tight budget to keep things OK. Long term results were excellent, once I healed and all the metal was removed.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2019 8:31 PM

Tonsillectomy.

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2019 8:43 PM

OP, good luck with your upcoming surgery!

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2019 8:48 PM

What was wrong with your foot R26?

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2019 8:48 PM

Wisdom teeth.

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2019 8:49 PM

Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy.

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2019 9:19 PM

I had open heart surgery 6 months ago. Triple bypass. The surgery went fine, as it does for 95% of patients. The first few days after is difficult because you can't sleep comfortably If you have a recliner at home, you will probably prefer that to the bed for the first week or so. Good luck, all should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2019 9:33 PM

I had my gallbladder removed in July and then an ERCP in September to remove a stray leftover stone.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2019 9:45 PM

I also had a whipple procedure for pancreatic cancer. Eight years ago.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2019 9:51 PM

Just a labiaplasty and a couple of tit jobs. The usual. x

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2019 9:55 PM

R34 so there’s hope for Alex Trebek. I’m happy to hear you are doing well after 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2019 9:55 PM

I had a partial colectomy & half of my liver removed after a diagnosis of stage four colon cancer, that was nine years ago (so far) no recurrence.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2019 10:05 PM

I had poorly healed fractures and a bunion causing major foot distortion (I delayed the surgery years too long because of work).

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2019 1:15 AM

Spinal fusion, total hip replacement — I had hip dysplasia. Both were brutal, and I had terrible complications after the hip surgery. Never ever again.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2019 1:34 AM

Total hip replacement at 49 - anterior approach. My experience seems to have been better than the other posters but recovery was a long process.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2019 1:42 AM

Wow - a reminder to enjoy good health.

Surprised two Whipple procedures. I thought pancreatic usually spreads to liver before it’s caught (in which case removing the pancreas - Whipple - is useless). How did you guys catch pancreatic cancer so early??

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2019 4:55 AM

Cataracts

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2019 5:00 AM

Cardiac bypass surgery

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2019 6:28 AM

Three level spinal fusion (L4-5, S1) done with a bone graft that was chiseled out of my right hip. I have two 30cm scars. One running down my back, and the other across the back of my hip. The bone graft area was more painful than the fusion. I also had a golf ball sized tumour removed from around the L2 level on my left side.

I’d love to say that fixed my problems, but I only just went into hospital two weeks ago to have 24 nerve burned out (radio frequency neurotomy). I still feel like I’ve been kicked by a horse.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2019 11:04 AM

My appendectomy seems like trivial stuff compared to what many of you have gone through. Respect!

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2019 11:13 AM

Godspeed, OP.

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2019 11:14 AM

Gynecomastia when I was 26 years old.

by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2019 12:01 PM

Discectomy and hemilaminectomy, at L4. Very scary. But easy recovery and totall fine now.

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2019 12:08 PM

Endovascular coiling for an asymptomatic brain aneurysm. Easy peasy,

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2019 12:18 PM

34 here. The pancreatic tumor was discovered when I had a CAT scan for unrelated issues. It was relatively early, stage II, but still the only treatment was surgery and chemo. The whipple was done laparoscopically which was still rather rare eight years ago.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2019 12:23 PM

Are you saying you had to sleep in a recliner for the first few days after R32?

by Anonymousreply 51November 21, 2019 2:51 AM

We'll be here when you come back to us OP!!

by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2019 2:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!