Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Karen Walker (Will&Grace) a direct ripoff of Audrey (Ellen)?

Audrey came 4 years before Karen. Has this not been noticed before?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2019 7:39 PM

Just because of the voice?

Why not go all the way back to Betty Boop?

Or Datalounge villain Georgia Engel?

Sober up, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 7:06 AM

According to a dl poster, Mullally said she was inspired by Christine Baranski's character on Cybill, don't know if the voice is even similar, and don't know if that Karen Walker voice is baby-voice, I guess not, don't know what Audrey's voice is exactly (just mainly know the things from my German synchro, and I didn't watch hardly any Ellen episodes (don't even know if they were shown in Germany, but watched a bit in the US), but did read about it), generally they are not very similar in character and background and role, I find.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 8:07 AM

not even close

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 8:30 AM

Oh, honey. Honey, no.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 8:53 AM

No, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 10:07 AM

Wow, the writing on that show was fucking atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2019 11:06 AM

Megan had said didn't want to play Karen originally as it was very similar to Christine Baranski's character on Cybill, but decided she could make Karen a bit more out there and the higher voice developed over time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2019 3:41 PM

Karen was the only character on Will & Grace worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2019 4:20 PM

She was a ripoff of Baranski's character, the mean, drunk best friend. Of course, Baranski's character was a ripoff of Patsy Stone.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2019 4:45 PM

Karen had more depth than the other two.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2019 2:06 AM

Yeah, the progression was definitely Patsy Stone became Baranski’a character (whose name no one remembers, which says something), and she became Karen—writing-wise, anyway.

Performance-wise, I see what you’re observing about Audrey, OP. The voices and the delivery and the body language are somewhat similar, but I can’t imagine that Meghan was inspired by Audrey because Audrey just isn’t that funny or memorable and because I remember Karen at the beginning of Will and Grace and she was a lot more subdued and less like Audrey voicewise.

The original Karen said “Oh, devil!” all the time and her voice was lower, she was less unhinged and a little more human. Less cartoony overall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2019 10:39 AM

I wish Baranski’s character had hurdled insults at Cybill the same way Karen makes fun of Grace.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2019 11:22 AM

R12 Grace is there to be mocked. Cybill was there to be admired. Hence the failure of her show.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2019 11:33 AM

No one remembers Cybill except to mention how Baranski stole the show from Cybill.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2019 7:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!