Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell me about the Liguria region of Italy

Anyone here live(d) or visited there, or planning to go? What's the cuisine, environment, people, culture, etc. like? How does it compare to the rest of Italy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 4:01 PM

It’s great. Love Rapallo.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 5:03 AM

You wanna hang around with garlic eaters, all ya gotta do is visit Martini's bar in Bedford Falls, NY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 5:10 AM

Scenically beautiful from trains or autos. The mountains rise directly from the Mediterranean, so it's quite a dramatic setting. The Cinque Terre are there and are spectacular. Genoa is a bit grimy and industrial in spots - a real working port. Pesto is original to Liguria, and seafood from the Mediterranean is available everywhere, so you won't go hungry. There are no wide beaches, really, as the mountains plunge into the sea and below sea level also drops off immediately. People sunbathe on ledges and rocky points. I don't know what it's like in winter, I've only passed through in summer. The Carlo Felice opera house in Genoa has opera, ballet and orchestral music, but it's not the equal of La Scala of course.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 6:04 AM

Liguria is essentially the Italian Riviera, and shares cultural similarities with the French Riviera, both regions having once been united under the Kingdom of Sardinia (aka Piedmont-Sardinia). Much of the food is similar to what you'll find in Nice, only under different names. The Ligurian [italic]farinata[/italic], for instance, is like the Niçois [italic]socca[/italic]. [italic]Pesto genovese[/italic] is like [italic]la tapanade niçoise[/italic] or [italic]pistou niçois[/italic]. Ligurian [italic]la torta di cipolle[/italic] is like Niçois [italic]pissaladière[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 6:45 AM

I visited the Cinque Terre area a few years ago, staying in Monterosso al Mare for four nights and visiting the other nearby towns. This was in September. Great food everywhere and so beautiful. The only turn off was the number of people who are also visiting. It calmed down in the evening and nice for an evening walk. Next year I'm planning to visit the west side and also stay again in nearby Nice.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 8:19 AM

Genoa, "La Superba"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2019 3:26 PM

Manarola of the Cinque Terre

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2019 3:30 PM

Portovenere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2019 3:32 PM

I've only been there on a cruise. We docked in Genoa and I took a shore excursion to Rapallo, Santa Margherita Ligure, and Portofino, all of which are lovely coastal towns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2019 3:52 PM

I spent 5 days at the Hotel Splendido in Portofino (on the hillside).

I loved the hotel. And there was plenty to see in the area. We hiked the Cinque Terre.

There was a restaurant (I think "Stella") on a hilltop overlooking Santa Margherita Ligure. It was a small restaurant with outdoor seating overlooking miles down the coast. As soon as we sat down, they started bringing small plates of different dishes to the table to sample. I was in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 4:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!