Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Cronenberg's A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

[quote] And then the screenplay for A History of Violence landed on his desk. “It’s true, I was getting an awful lot of offers, mainly bad scripts. All of a sudden I had options. But now, more than ever, I was thinking I should do what I’d always done, which was to find a good story, something I wouldn’t be embarrassed to see in the cinema. Then [Josh Olson’s] script came from David Cronenberg. David Cronenberg! I read it and I was quite disappointed. It was 120-odd pages of just mayhem; kind of senseless, really. And I thought, 'Nah.’ A lot of crazy fighting stuff, bloodletting, for no apparent reason. I said, 'I love him, but I don’t want to waste his time, so no.’

[quote]“Anyway, he was coming to LA and wanted to have breakfast, just to talk about it. So we sat down. He was this Canadian gentleman, with a wry sense of humour. Not a crazy vampire. Very polite, soft-spoken. So I said, 'The thing with this script…’, and he said, 'Yeah, I hear you didn’t like it?’ And I said 'Well, it’s not a question of like or dislike, it’s just not my thing, really, it seems like straight exploitation, just gore; it’s a pulp novel.’ And he said, 'I agree.’ And we talked about political things, all the ramifications of telling a story like that. Everything I brought up, he had the same objections, and had already thought it through. And he said, 'Just trust me, I’m going to work on this.’ He should have actually taken a screenplay credit, because that 120-something pages ended up being about 72 pages, and that was him.”

I saw this when it came out and besides the two sex scenes with Viggo Mortensen and Maria Bello and registering surprise at William Hurt's Oscar nomination, I promptly forgot about it.

I did remember the Oscar-nominated screenwriter Josh Olsen going off on social media about how he will not review scripts for aspiring writers any more because of the lack of gratitude he received (ie, a mere "thank for for your time, I appreciate it" in response to him decimating a screenplay and didn't connect him to this movie. So seeing this old article in which Viggo talks about how hit Olson's contribution was is quite funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 10:56 PM

This had walkouts in both sex scenes plus a third when Maria Bello was otherwise naked in a robe and showed off her black bush.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 10:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!