Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Am I on crack? Years ago didn't they used to make Christmas Ribbon that looked like Ribbon Candy?

It seems very retro now, but I remember ribbon/bows that looks like ribbon candy-

I was just buying some wrapping paper early this year, and I thought of that-

Did I make this up in my mind? I googled it and there is NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2019 9:22 PM

Yes, they did. I remember it as a kid in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2019 12:50 AM

Yes, they did. I remember it as a kid in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2019 12:50 AM

You may be on crack but I also remember some Christmas ribbon used for wrapping gifts looking like ribbon candy. If I come across a picture of said ribbon I'll post a picture for you.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2019 12:50 AM

What the fuck is ribbon candy? I'm 53 and I've never heard of such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2019 12:51 AM

Is this the ribbon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2019 12:53 AM

Go to Vermont Country Store. They still make and sell it.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2019 12:59 AM

R5- NO. R6- NOT THE GODDAMNED ACTUAL CANDY, but a CHRISTMAS BOW that I can only describe that looks like RIBBON CANDY.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2019 1:01 AM

Now that you put it that way, OP, yes I do. I also remember making that type of bow by hand.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2019 1:07 AM

I remember this OP! It was candy that looked like a candy cane but was flat and twisted into a bowtie like you said.

I haven't thought about that since I was a child! I haven't seen it since then either!

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2019 1:12 AM

Found one! It's on the far right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 1:14 AM

What the FUCK R9??

It looked like a CANDY CANE but was FLAT and TWISTED INTO A BOW TIE??? What the FUCK?

R8- You may be on to something. You could roll up a ribbon and make one I suppose, but these came made like that- Like 8 to a package.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2019 1:15 AM

*swoops in, graciously deposits link, flies away with cape flapping in the wind*

Well this is what I thought you meant, OP...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2019 1:15 AM

R12 YOU FUCKING BITCH!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!! THOSE ARE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2019 1:16 AM

R12 here, can I also just say I love how mad you are about this OP? No sarcasm, I fucking fume when shit like this happens and dumb assholes don't know what I'm talking about. Even if it never existed and I'm the dumb asshole sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2019 1:17 AM

I did a search and it's the first thing that came up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2019 1:17 AM

R12 here again

YESSSSSS MY SHOPPING SUPERHERO WORK HERE IS DONE!!! (btw that is the only example I could find anywhere on Etsy or eBay so if you're into these things for whatever reason i would snap those bitches up toot sweet)

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2019 1:18 AM

Does it look like this? These are my favorite new underwear. The mens like them more than Christmas. Open me up!! Rich and creamy, sweet and juicy. Decorative. Happy Holidays!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 1:19 AM

R12, I would buy those bows right now if all 4 of them looked like Christmas bows! Only 2 of them do, so fuck it!!

They just remind me of a better time and I loved when people made Christmas gifts look beautiful, like in the movies. And when nice department stores had gift wrapping departments and shit.

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 1:19 AM

I got you. I LOATHE this colourless 'wrap it in brown paper and tie with twine, possibly add a sprig of tree if one is feeling OTT' "tasteful" shit everywhere these days. Since when was Christmas about tasteful? And since when did tasteful become a synonym for basic?

Fuck. Now I'm as angry as OP.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 1:22 AM

Why do I now feel compelled to buy those bows off Etsy? When I had never in my life thought of buying such a thing and didn't even know they existed? My covetousness truly knows no bounds.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 1:24 AM

I know that I am sounding like some old queen. But I loved looking at my parent's Christmas albums from the 50's and 60's and all the people on the cover would be holding some beautifully wrapped gift. The Young and The Restless always had the most beautifully wrapped Christmas gifts for some reason!! These massive bows and beautiful paper.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 1:25 AM

And thank you R10, that was it as well-

R12, I am telling you, those are the only bows left in existence like what I was talking about. They must have "went out of style"...

I remember the still existing in the 80's..

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 1:27 AM

[quote]Am I on crack?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2019 1:27 AM

Ribbon candy was horrifying to those of use who were kids in the '70s. Older, as in ancient, relatives had it in their candy dishes for what seemed to be a long, hot sweltering summer and offered it up to child relatives. It got stuck together in their candy dishes and it didn't help that the older relatives pushed in on kids, wrapping it in paper napkins that would stick. It was such a weird exercise. Kids wanted sweets, but not the gross-old fashioned grandma kind of generosity that got stuck to Kleenex, mom's purse, the dog's teeth, etc.

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2019 1:28 AM

Me too, r18.

I loved the boxes in elaborate, shiny, expensive printed foil or matte paper adorned with the most beautiful ribbons and bows. Those were carefully mounted on the wall in rows.

I loved the service counter lady in her best wig and make-up, dressed tastefully in a tailored coat dress patiently waiting while gazed at the choices (too many! I wanted them all) and then picked one out.

Mysteriously, they'd take my package, go in a back room and then Walla. My beautifully wrapped gift.

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2019 1:30 AM

YES!!! All the samples on the wall!!!!!! YES!!! Even the finest stores now just give you a folded gift box, and a ribbon- There is no wrapping paper- Its bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2019 1:32 AM

Fine, r19! I have two packages of limited-edition Eggnog PlumpyNut that I was about to mail to Darfur Orphan, from you (because you can’t be trusted to do it yourself, you selfish cunt).

Now I’ll just have to FUCKING BURN THEM!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2019 1:34 AM

Wrapping paper kills trees, and most people don’t recycle it.

It was way past its cancellation date.

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2019 1:35 AM

tf is wrong with you R28

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2019 1:49 AM

[quote]and then Walla.

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2019 2:27 AM

We had Christmas ribbon with stripes all the way along the length of the entire roll. As an 8 year old, I decided it was too old-fashioned and not relevant.

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2019 2:33 AM

Of course there is still regular wrapping paper. Just go to Walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2019 2:41 AM

Grandma's ribbon candy was awful. Nobody would eat it, not even Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2019 2:44 AM

R30 It's Della, she's using that word 'knowingly' and will next be coming for our throw pillows.

On the off chance she's not doing it knowingly I will soften slightly towards her Angelina Jolie loving ass. Just slightly.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2019 2:47 AM

They have red ones, but not ones that are striped like the horrible candy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2019 2:47 AM

This thread has me in stitches. Thanks for the laughs, all of you!

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2019 2:56 AM

[quote] And when nice department stores had gift wrapping departments and shit.

You mean like Bardwell's?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2019 3:00 AM

Maybe nine minutes of someone chewing ribbon candy will calm your enraged ass down, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2019 3:01 AM

I taught myself to make those bows when I was living away from home in 1973 and had to mail all of the Xmas gifts to family -- I wanted something flat that would look good despite being squashed. Very easy to make, OP -- but R35 says that Papermart.com has them in Xmas colors (though without stripes) quite cheap.

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2019 3:04 AM

R27 You utter piece of shit, everyone knows Eggnog gives darfur orphans diarrhea. I have unwittingly saved their lives and, in doing so, committed my second heroic act of the day (after locating OPs ribbons).

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2019 3:12 AM

lol, r30 and r34.

Anyway, Oh, do I miss the glamour of the department stores of the 1980s and earlier a topic that's generated great threads here.

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2019 11:53 AM

R30, that is the correct DL way to say and spell it.

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2019 11:58 AM

[quote] Oh, do I miss the glamour of the department stores of the 1980s

"Glamour," "department store," and "1980s." WTF, Della. I was brought up in the '60s and '70s on the West Coast and saw what Milwaukee pass for glamour in the late '80s and '90s. Like Lazarus?

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2019 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!