Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you could take away an Actors Oscar and award it to someone else they were nominated against, who would you take it from?

And who would you award?

If you had the ability to choose one actor from any year and take away their Oscar and award it to another actor from that year, what year would you choose? Who is the actor losing their Oscar and what Category did they win for? And who is the winner, (changing History for those two actors)?

I would go back to 2001 and take the Oscar away from Marcia Gay Harden and give it to Kate Hudson, who was my pick for Almost Famous. I loved her in that film, and I wonder if her winning (like most predicted) would have helped her get better roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323January 25, 2020 2:55 PM

WHET to Kate Hudson? She was everywhere for awhile but I haven't seen her in years.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2019 11:45 PM

I would take away Jennifer Connelly's win for "A Beautiful Mind" and give it to Marisa Tomei for "In The Bedroom".

Connelly has my least favorite win ever, and that is saying something because there have been bad wins. She was terrible in the film and the character is terrible and she does not have much to do.

Its fucking ridiculous they gave it to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2019 11:47 PM

R1 she became more known for who she dates than being an actress.

She fucked up her own career.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2019 11:50 PM

I used to be in love with Billy Crudup in this movie

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2019 11:53 PM

I’d take away Mo'nique’s award for best supporting actress and give it to anyone else nominated in that category that year.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2019 11:53 PM

Take from Geraldine Page. Give to Whoopi Goldberg.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2019 11:55 PM

Hilary Swank's second win should have gone to Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2019 11:56 PM

r7 NEITHER SHOULD HAVE FUCKING WON!

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2019 11:57 PM

I'd take it from George Chakiris and give it to Monty Clift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2019 11:59 PM

R8 Annette for Being Julia? No. Maybe take Hilary's first win away and give it to Annette for American Beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 12:01 AM

I'd take the Oscar from that drunken condom-chined cunt Reese Witherspoon and give it to jailbird Felicity Huffmann.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2019 12:03 AM

Kate faded away because she had none of Goldie's charm and wasn't very compelling on screen. She also chose garbage film projects.

Marcia is an exquisite actress and never really has been bad in anything.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2019 12:05 AM

R6 absolutely not! Geraldine Page was a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2019 12:07 AM

I would give Nicholas Cage's Best Actor for Leaving Las Vegas to Sean Penn for Dead Man Walking. Anyone can play a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2019 12:12 AM

r14 no. Not anyone can.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2019 12:13 AM

I love Cher, but the Oscar should have gone to Glenn Close for Fatal Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2019 12:17 AM

r16 could not agree more.

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 12:17 AM

Casey Affleck is losing his Oscar and Denzel is getting it. He should have won.

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 12:22 AM

Ernest Borgnine will have his taken away and James Dean will be handed the award for "East of Eden" instead.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 12:24 AM

I would tip Gary Oldman over in his fat suit like a turtle and hand the award over to the deserving winner, Mr. Timothee Chalamet.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 12:24 AM

I would push Tom Hanks off the stage and hand the Oscar to Morgan Freeman for "The Shawshank Redemption".

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 12:27 AM

I would take away Katharine Hepburn’s award for Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner and give it to Faye Dunaway for Bonnie and Clyde.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 12:28 AM

I would snatch that statuette from Katharine Hepburn in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner and award it not to Faye Dunaway but to Edith Evans in The Whisperers. It was one of those grim social realism films so popular in the mid-sixties but she was brilliant in it.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2019 12:33 AM

Indrig Bergman give it to Diane Ladd please.

Sally Field give up number two to the non nominated Kathleen Turner. (Breaking the rules, but who fucking cares, Turner deserved it)

Meryl gives number three to Glenn Close

Liza gives hers to Diana Ross

Natalie gives hers to any of the other nominees

Cate Blanchett throws it to Sandra Bullock

Halle Berry hand it over to Renee Zellweger.

Julia Roberts to any of the other nominees.

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2019 12:34 AM

I would revoke Whoopi Goldberg's Academy Award of Merit for Best Supporting Actress awarded in 1990 at the 63rd annual Academy Awards for "Ghost." I like Whoopi, and notwithstanding the DL favorite catchphrase, "...you in trouble, girl," I just don't believe it was an Oscar-worthy performance. I suppose I would award it to Lorraine Bracco for Goodfellas or Annette Bening for The Grifters.

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2019 12:34 AM

I'd take Al Pacino's Oscar for 'Scent of a Woman" and give it to Denzel Washington for "Malcolm X."

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2019 12:35 AM

Eddie Redmayne's Oscar to Michael Keaton!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2019 12:35 AM

McConaughey's Oscar to LEO!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2019 12:36 AM

Day-Lewis' third Oscar to JOAQUIN!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2019 12:37 AM

George Clooney’s performance in Syriana did not merit the award over Jake Gyllenhaal‘s performance in Brokeback Mountain.

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2019 12:41 AM

Take that thing from Paul Scofield, for being noble, and give it to Richard Burton for "Virginia Woolf"--the performance of a lifetime..

Take it from Sidney Poitier, for being sweet, and give it to Peter O'Toole for "Lawrence of Arabia"--the performance of a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2019 12:43 AM

I would take away Jean Dujardin's Oscar away for The Artist and give it to Gary Oldman for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It was a very weak field that year, but I hated Dujardin's performance.

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2019 12:43 AM

Give Jose Ferrer's Oscar for Cyrano de Bergerac and give it to William Holden for Sunset Blvd.

THEN I'd take William Holden's Oscar for Stalag 17 and give it to... hmmm Montgomery Clift in from Here to Eternity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2019 12:43 AM

I agree that Pacino did not deserve the win R26, but I would give it to Robert Downey Jr. for Chaplin.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2019 12:44 AM

Judy Holliday’s should go to Gloria Swanson. Ethel Barrymore’s should go to Angela Lansbury. George C. Scott’s should go to Melvyn Douglas. Julia Roberts’ should go to Ellen Burstyn.

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2019 12:46 AM

Grace Kelly is getting that Oscar snatched away and Judy Garland would be holding that statuette from her Hospital room.

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2019 12:48 AM

I would have taken away Humphrey Bogart's 1951 Actor win for the African Queen and given it to Montgomery Clift for A Place in the Sun, Or I would have taken away Williams Holden's 1954 Actor win for Stalag 17 and given it to Montgomery Clift for From Here to Eternity. I think Monty gave more in these two performances he deserved something.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2019 12:49 AM

I would give Jodie Foster's first Oscar for The Accused and give it to Close for Dangerous Liaisons (a better performance than Fatal Attraction).

Also Swank's second to Bening for Being Julia. I never cared for Bening in American Beauty.

I'd give Ellen Burstyn's for Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore to Gena Rowlands for A Woman Under The Influence. Both excellent performances but Rowlands deserved it.

Agree with K. Hepburn to Edith Evans, Scofield to Burton, Dujardin to Oldman.

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2019 12:49 AM

One thing we will NOT do is take away Sidney Poitier's win. That was groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2019 12:49 AM

I would take away Bogart's award and give it to Brando for Streetcar.

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2019 12:50 AM

Dujardin is so easy on the eyes though....

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2019 12:51 AM

Rami Malek, give it to the garbage bin. none of them deserved it.

I would snatch the Oscar out of chair climber Roberto Benigni for Life Is Beautiful and give it to Edward Norton for American History X

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2019 12:53 AM

Take away Art Carney's Oscar for "Harry and Tonto" and give it to Pacino for "The Godfather Part II."

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2019 12:53 AM

I'd take it away from Fredric March in The Best Years of Our Lives and hand it over to Jimmy Stewart in Its A Wonderful Life.

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2019 12:54 AM

R44 and r42 I was just thinking about these (Stewart and Norton)

Rami deserved his Oscar

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2019 12:55 AM

[quote]I would go back to 2001 and take the Oscar away from Marcia Gay Harden and give it to Kate Hudson, who was my pick for Almost Famous.

That's just silly.

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2019 12:56 AM

[quote]Rami Malek, give it to the garbage bin. none of them deserved it.

I like that take. No Oscars for anyone this year. None of you did well and should be ashamed of your weak work!

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2019 12:56 AM

I'm snatching it from John Wayne in True Grit and handing it over to Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2019 12:58 AM

Dustin Hoffman’s for Kramer vs Kramer to Roy Scheider in All That Jazz. Hoffman instead gets it for Tootsie instead of Ben Kingsley.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2019 12:59 AM

R47 - I think Rami deserved it, but the field was weak AF.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2019 12:59 AM

ALL OF MY LOSSES.

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2019 1:01 AM

This past Oscars had a weak Best Actor lineup, but Rami deserved it out of those 5.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2019 1:01 AM

Basinger's Oscar to Julianne Moore in Boogie Nights! JUSTICE FOR JULIANNE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2019 1:03 AM

amd you know what? I would take away Marlee Matlins for Children of a Lesser God and give it to Sigourney Weaver for Alien. I am serious.

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2019 1:03 AM

This thread has really reminded me. There was time when the best actor win wasn't so predictable; now the Academy follows all the other prestigious awards. And all these awrads are biased towards showy performances rather than more nuanced ones. It really is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2019 1:04 AM

Yes! R53.

JUSTICE FOR JULIANNE, SERIOUSLY!

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2019 1:04 AM

R49 - Hoffman over Kingsley? Really? You think so??

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2019 1:05 AM

I agree about Carney's Oscar to Pacino.

A classic : Gwineth 's Oscar to Cate Blanchett.

Elizabeth Taylor's Oscar for Buterfly 8 should really have gone to Melina Mercuri in Never on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2019 1:07 AM

Take away Lee Grant's Oscar and give it to Ronee Blakley

by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2019 1:08 AM

R54 delights in telling little children that Santa Claus doesn’t exist.

by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2019 1:08 AM

well,, he doesn't r60 ;) and you know i am correct re Sigourney

by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2019 1:10 AM

I agree about taking away Casey Affleck and handing it to Denzel.

I didn’t like Fences but he should have been the only thing to win for that film.

by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2019 1:14 AM

I am taking away Michael Caines Oscar for Cider House Rules and awarding it posthumously to the rightful supporting actor winner, Michael Clarke Duncan for The Green Mile. The whole film rested in those enormous shoulders. All I remember about Caine is him saying goodnight to a bunch of brats in an attic.

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2019 1:16 AM

Take away Judy Holliday’s win give it to All about Eve Bette Davis or Sunset Blvd’s Gloria Swanson.

I thought Kate deserved the win for Almost Famous. Jake G for Brokeback. Julianne for Boogie.

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2019 1:17 AM

Take away Tommy Lee Jones' Oscar for "The Fugitive" and give it to Ralph Fiennes for Amon Goeth, the Commandant of the concentration camp in "Schindler's List".

I'd also take away Burt Lancaster's Oscar for "Elmer Gantry" (over the top classic Burt barely distinguisable from The Rainmaker and a great many of his other roles) and give it to Robert Mitchum for Max Cady in "Cape Fear".

Take away Gwyneth Paltrow's Oscar for "Shakespeare in Love" and give to almost anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2019 1:19 AM

110% take it from Kim Basinger and give it to Julianne Moore for Boogie Nights.

I have been pissed about that one ever since it happened.

by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2019 1:20 AM

Felicity deserved Reese’s award!!!

by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2019 1:25 AM

R32 - Second that. Oldman's performance as George Smiley was easily the best of the year, even if the incomparable Alec Guiness in the television version rather haunted it.

R20 - I'm partial to Oldman, but in this case I have to agree: Churchill is impossible to miss with, and I thought Oldman did particularly well in the historic speeches that could easily have been overdone; but Chalumet's performance was beautiful and memorable, and he was robbed.

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2019 1:25 AM

Julia Roberts' Oscar should have gone to Ellen Burstyn for one of the most memorable, heartbreaking, and harrowing performances I've ever seen. I guess the joke's on Julia since no one remembers her performance or movie these days, but Ellen's is still talked about all the time.

Beatrice Straight's Oscar should have gone to Piper Laurie for Carrie. She managed to be funny and scary at the same time - a true feat. Straight had one fucking scene. It's a good scene in a great movie, but c'mon.

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2019 1:29 AM

Take it from Richard Dreyfuss and give it to anyone else in that category. I'm partial to Marcello Mastroianni in A Special Day , but fuck... I'd take Woody Allen getting for Annie Hall.

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2019 1:31 AM

It’s funny how people always say Kate Hudson lacks her moms natural charm and charisma when she was nothing but charming and charismatic in Almost Famous (and How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days).

She screwed up by choosing roles that would pay her more (rom coms) over good roles.

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2019 1:31 AM

Take it from Ben Kingsley and give it to Dustin Dorothy Hoffman

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2019 1:31 AM

Take away K. Hepburn's Oscar for "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and give it to any one of the other nominess, any ONE of them:

Starting with Anne Bancroft in "The Graduate".

by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2019 1:32 AM

Jennifer Lawrence, hand your Oscar to Emmanuelle Riva, right now !

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2019 1:38 AM

[quote]Hoffman over Kingsley? Really? You think so??

Absolutely. Comedy is much harder to pull off than a stale biopic imitation.

Speaking of— PSH for capote should’ve been Ledger’s. Then give Waltz’s Django award to PSH for The Master. Everyone in that Supporting Actor category has already won before anyway.

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2019 1:38 AM

[quote]Speaking of— PSH for capote should’ve been Ledger’s. Then give Waltz’s Django award to PSH for The Master. Everyone in that Supporting Actor category has already won before anyway.

I'll allow it only if PSH for sure gets that Master Oscar. Both boys should have won for The Master. I'm okay with giving Ledger an Oscar for Brokeback Mountain as well, as that's such an indelible performance. I mean, good thing is both actors have Oscars... sad that they're no longer with us though :[.

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2019 1:42 AM

Nah, Waltz deserved that Django Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2019 1:43 AM

Waltz was good in Django, but he won because the Academy still had a love affair with his work on Inglourious Basterds. He didn't need that second win though.

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2019 1:47 AM

No, he won because he was phenomenal in Django.

I remember seeing the film and saying after "he better get an Oscar for that".

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2019 1:48 AM

Hey, Jeff Bridges, hand over that undeserved win for "Crazy Heart" to the real winner of the night... Colin Firth for "A Single Man"

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2019 1:50 AM

I'd give Kathy Bates Oscar for Misery to Angelica Huston for The Grifters. Then give Bates the Oscar for a movie she wasn't even nominated for, Dolores Claiborne, (a DL favorite).

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2019 1:51 AM

On a side note, WHET to Christolph Waltz?

by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2019 1:52 AM

Colin Firth, hand your Oscar to Jesse Eisenberg.

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote]WHET to Christolph Waltz?

Turns out that energy, while potent, is rather limited. He stretched himself a bit in Carnage, but the film's rather slight, no one saw it, and it has that Polanski patina on it now.

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2019 1:54 AM

Janney you THIEF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2019 1:55 AM

Waltz was in that James Cameron movie "Alita Battle Angel" earlier this year, after taking a couple of years off. (It must be good to be rich). He was also in a movie called "Georgetown" with Annette Benning and Vanessa Redgrave this year.

He has 4 films coming out within the next year.

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2019 1:57 AM

Snatch that statuette from the hands of Frances McDormand for Best Actress in 'Fargo," and calmly walk it over to its rightful owner, Kristin Scott Thomas, Best Actress for "The English Patient."

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2019 2:01 AM

Gwyneth to Cate Blanchett is the DL mantra

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2019 2:01 AM

R69, I was gonna post about Burstyn if you hadn't.

This is my absolute favorite scene of any movie I've ever watched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2019 2:02 AM

I would take Louise Fletcher’s Best Actress Oscar (she should have been in the supporting category) and give it to Isabelle Adjani for The Story of Adele H.

Adjani was brilliant in the film and won the New York Film Critics, National Society of Film Critics and National Board of Review awards for Best Actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 19, 2019 2:02 AM

r88 but then Goop would have no Oscar at all...

by Anonymousreply 91November 19, 2019 2:02 AM

r42 OMG I hated that man, in real life and in the hideous Life is Beautiful movie...thankfully he went slithering back under that rock from which he came and hasn't really been seen since

by Anonymousreply 92November 19, 2019 2:05 AM

[quote]I agree about Carney's Oscar to Pacino.

Nah. "Harry & Tonto" is almost a one man movie and Carney pulled it off.

by Anonymousreply 93November 19, 2019 2:06 AM

I would take the Oscar won by Julia Roberts for "Erin Brokovitch" and give it to Ellen Burstyn for "Requiem For A Dream", definitely.

by Anonymousreply 94November 19, 2019 2:08 AM

Guys, Waltz is also in the new Bond movie that comes out next year. He is still working.

He has that 007 movie next year as well as

"The French Dispatch" directed by Wes Anderson and with Timmy Chalamet, Elizabeth Moss, Saoirse Ronan, Kate Winslet, Bill Murray, Willem Defoe, Tilda Swinton, Benicio Del Toro, Adrien Brody and Owen Wilson.

"Rifkin's Festival" directed by Woody Allen.

and this movie called "Gilded Rage" with Bill Skaarsgard and Lily Collins

by Anonymousreply 95November 19, 2019 2:08 AM

Great thread topic OP.

by Anonymousreply 96November 19, 2019 2:10 AM

how do we feel about Angela Bassett for What's Love Got to do with it? she was far and away my pick but I have heard complaints that she didn't look enough like Tina. after Rami and Freddie are people over the need to look like who's being portrayed?

by Anonymousreply 97November 19, 2019 2:13 AM

Regarding Burstyn:

Aronofsky says the scene where Harry goes to visit Sara was his favorite scene in Selby’s novel, it was the scene that ultimately motivated Aronofsky to make the film, and it is his favorite moment in the finished film. Aronofsky feels this scene is representative of the whole story, how it’s about the difficulty addicts find connecting with the people they love. The scene has three sections: the light side when things are pleasant at the beginning; the dark side when the two begin to argue after Harry finds Sara’s drugs; and back to the light side when Sara makes her confession at the end. Aronofsky sees Ellen Burstyn capturing this performance in this scene as his proudest moment. Aronofsky notes all of Burstyn’s performance in the confession moment was from one, single take. She actually did three takes, but she did each take differently. They couldn’t be combined or cut together. Burstyn is actually out of frame at one point at the end of the take used. Aronofsky was pissed when he noticed this during filming. He went to cinematographer Matthew Libatique to see what had happened. Libatique had tears streaming down his face from Burstyn’s performance. He had fogged up the lens and couldn’t see to properly frame it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 19, 2019 2:14 AM

My problem with Bassett r97 was her arms were way too big, as if Tina went to the gym seven days a week. She was deserving, though, as she was excellent.

I think Bassett may have had a better chance had What's Love been released a year later. She may have won over Lange.

by Anonymousreply 99November 19, 2019 2:18 AM

Give Philip Seymour Hoffman's Oscar to Heath Ledger

by Anonymousreply 100November 19, 2019 2:20 AM

R97, I thought Angela Basset and Laurence Fishburne should have won for What’s Love Got To Do With It. However, while Angela has great guns, Tina was known for her legs.

This is a fun topic! For a new selection, I would pick Joan Fontaine in Rebecca over Ginger Rogers in Kitty Foyle.

by Anonymousreply 101November 19, 2019 2:21 AM

Give Ellen Burstyn all the Oscars for the scene at R89. That is just transcendent.

by Anonymousreply 102November 19, 2019 2:24 AM

As much as I love Geena Davis, I feel her Supporting Actress Oscar for The Accidental Tourist should have went to Lena Olin for The Unbearable Lightness of Being (who wasn't even nominated).

Diane Keaton needs to return her Academy Award for Annie Hall... so she can have the film name changed to "Looking for Mr. Goodbar". Such a revelatory performance.

Halle Berry to Sissy Spacek for In the Bedroom.

I love Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost but if she was going to return the award it should be to Shirley MacLaine for Postcards from the Edge who, shockingly, wasn't nominated.

by Anonymousreply 103November 19, 2019 2:31 AM

1930: take away Mary Pickford's Oscar for Coquette and give it to Jeanne Eagels in The Letter

1931: take away George Arliss' Oscar for Disraeli and give it to Wallace Beery in The Big House

1932: take away Marie Dressler's Oscar for Min and Bill and give it to Marlene Dietrich in Morocco

1936: take away Bette Davis' Oscar for Dangerous and give it to Katharine Hepburn in Alice Adams

1937: take away Paul Muni's Oscar for The Story of Louis Pasteur and give it to William Powell in My Man Godfrey; take away Luise Rainer's Oscar for The Great Ziegfeld and give it to Carole Lombard in My Man Godfrey

1938: take away Luise Rainer's Oscar for The Good Earth and give it to Irene Dunne in The Awful Truth

1941: take away James Stewart's Oscar for The Philadelphia Story and give it to Henry Fonda in The Grapes of Wrath; take away Ginger Rogers' Oscar for Kitty Foyle and give it to Joan Fontaine in Rebecca

1942: since Fontaine has an Oscar for Rebecca, take away her Oscar for Suspicion and give it to Bette Davis in The Little Foxes

1944: take away Paul Lukas' Oscar for Watch on the Rhine and give it to Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca; take away Jennifer Jones' Oscar for The Song of Bernadette and give it to Jean Arthur in The More the Merrier

1945: take away Bing Crosby's Oscar for Going My Way and give it Charles Boyer in Gaslight

1947: take away Olivia de Havilland's Oscar for To Each His Own and give it to Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter

by Anonymousreply 104November 19, 2019 2:33 AM

I take away Halle Berry's Oscar for Monster's Ball and give it to Nicole Kidman for Moulin Rouge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 19, 2019 2:45 AM

[quote]R88 but then Goop would have no Oscar at all...

Would that be such a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 106November 19, 2019 2:46 AM

Weisz's Oscar should have gone to Amy Adams!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 19, 2019 2:50 AM

Naomi Watts and Sheryl Lee should have both won Oscars for their work in Fire Walk with Me and Mulholland Drive. David Lynch's skill with actresses is unrivaled.

by Anonymousreply 108November 19, 2019 2:50 AM

r106 Yes! I had to work very hard to get where I am today, and darned that Oscar 100% on my own, with no one else's help!

by Anonymousreply 109November 19, 2019 2:50 AM

Cotillard's Oscar should have ALSO gone to Amy for Enchanted!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 19, 2019 2:51 AM

r108 - It's not the question, Rose

by Anonymousreply 111November 19, 2019 2:51 AM

Not an actor award, but David Lynch should have won Best Director for Mullholland Drive; Ron Howard should cough it up!

by Anonymousreply 112November 19, 2019 2:51 AM

I would take away Celeste Holme's for "Gentleman's Agreement' and give it to Marjorie Main for playing Ma Kettle in "The Egg and I."

by Anonymousreply 113November 19, 2019 3:09 AM

Maybe I missed it? Very first person I’d snatch that Oscar from is Helen Hunt - a dull performance in the mediocre As Good As It Gets. No, it wasn’t a strong year for nominees but I’d give it to Judi Dench or Helena Bonham Carter. I mean... Helen Hunt? Really?

by Anonymousreply 114November 19, 2019 3:13 AM

I agree that Amy Adams' performance in Junebug was 100% Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 115November 19, 2019 3:14 AM

Helen Hunt's undeserved Oscar should have gone to any of the other 4 British actresses - but I would have been partial to Helena Bonham Carter in Wings of the Dove.

by Anonymousreply 116November 19, 2019 3:17 AM

R112 Okay, if we're going to go off topic... Pedro Almodóvar should have won best director for Talk to Her. Was The Pianist really... *that* good?

by Anonymousreply 117November 19, 2019 3:19 AM

Give Emil Jannings' Oscar to the actor who won the popular vote--Rin Tin Tin.

by Anonymousreply 118November 19, 2019 3:32 AM

I would take the Oscar from Denzel for Training Day and give it to Russell Crowe for A Beautiful Mind

by Anonymousreply 119November 19, 2019 3:34 AM

I would take it from whatshername who won best supporting for the Jackson Pollock movie, and give it to Kate Hudson for “Almost Famous.” She created an unforgettable character in Penny Lane.

by Anonymousreply 120November 19, 2019 3:35 AM

As for Mo'Nique, poeple hate her because she’s a pain in the ass but truthfully she probably gave the most deserving Supporting performance of the 20 years.

2018 - Rami Malek to Bradley Cooper for A STAR IS BORN, Mahershala Ali to Richard E. Grant for CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?, Olivia Coleman to Glenn Close for THE WIFE

2017 - Gary Oldman to Denzel Washington for ROMAN J. ISRAEL, ESQ, Sam Rockwell to Willem Dafoe for THE FLORIDA PROJECT, Allison Janney to Laurie Metcalf for LADY BIRD

2016 - Emma Stone to Isabelle Hupert for ELLE, Viola Davis to Nicole Kidman for LION

2015 Brie Larson to Charlotte Rampling for 45 YEARS, Mark Rylance to Tom Hardy for THE REVENANT, Alicia Vikander to Rooney Mara for CAROL

2014 - Eddie Redmayne to Michael Keaton for BIRDMAN, Julianne Moore to Reese Witherspoon for WILD, Patricia Arquette to Laura Dern for WILD

2013 - Matthew McConaughey to Leonardo DiCaprio in WOLF OF WALL STREET, Cate Blanchette to Judi Dench for PHILOMENA, Lupia Nyong’o to Julia Roberts in August: Osage County (not even kidding)

2012 - Christoph Waltz to Tommy Lee Jones in LINCOLN, Jennifer Lawrence to Naomi Watts for THE IMPOSSIBLE

2011 - Meryl Streep to MIchelle Williams for MY WEEK WITH MARILYN

2010 - Colin Firth to Javier Bardem for BIUITIFUL, Natalie Portman to Jennifer Lawrence for WINTER’S BONE, Christian Bale to Geoffrey Rush for THE KING’S SPEECH

2009 - Jeff Bridges to Jeremy Renner for THE HURT LOCKER

2008 - Kate Winslet to Anne Hathaway for RACHEL GETTING MARRIED, Heath Ledger to Philip Seymour Hoffman for DOUBT, Penelope Cruz to Viola Davis for DOUBT

2007 - Daniel Day Lewis to Tommy Lee Jones for IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH, Tilda Swinton to Amy Ryan for GONE BABY GONE

2006 - Alan Arkin to Eddie Murphy for DREAMGIRLS

2005 - Philip Seymour Hoffman to Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow, George Clooney to Jake Gyllenhall for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, Rachel Weisz to Amy Adams for JUNEBUG

2004 - Jamie Foxx to Clint Eastwood for MILLION DOLLAR BABY, Cate Blanchett to Sophie Okonedo for HOTEL RWANDA

2003 - Charlize Theron to Diane Keaton for SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE, Tim Robbins to Djimon Hounsou for IN AMERICA

2002 - Adrien Brody to Nicolas Cage for ADAPTATION, Nicole Kidman to Diane Lane for UNFAITHFUL, Catherine Zeta-Jones to Meryl Streep for ADAPTATION

2001 - Jim Broadbent to Ethan Hawke for TRAINING DAY, Jennifer Connelly to Maggie Smith for GOSFORD PARK

2000 - Julia Roberts to Laura Linney for YOU CAN COUNT ON ME

1999 - Kevin Spacey to Sean Penn for SWEET AND LOWDOWN, Michael Caine to Tom Cruise for Magnolia, Angelina Jolie to Samantha Morton for Sweet and Lowdown

1998 - Gwyneth Paltrow to Fernanda Montenegra for CENTRAL STATION, Judi Dench to Rachel Griffiths for HILARY AND JACKIE

1997 - Jack Nicholson to Peter Fonda for Ulee's Fold, Helen Hunt to Julie Christie for Afterglow, Robin Williams to Robert Forster for Jackie Brown, Kim Basinger to Julianne Moore for BOOGIE NIGHTS

1996 - Geoffrey Rush to Billy Bob Thornton for SLING BLADE, Frances McDormand to Emily Watson for BREAKING THE WAVES

1995 - Nicolas Cage to Sean Penn for DEAD MAN WALKING, Kevin Spacey to James Cromwell for BABE, Mira Sorvino to Kate Winslet for SENSE AND SENSIBILITY

by Anonymousreply 121November 19, 2019 3:40 AM

[quote]Lupia Nyong’o to Julia Roberts in August: Osage County (not even kidding)

You should probably just shut up and eat your fucking fish.

by Anonymousreply 122November 19, 2019 3:41 AM

Denzel's second Oscar to Tom Wilkinson for In the Bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 123November 19, 2019 3:59 AM

Bullock should have her Oscar snatched for that Hallmark movie she did and give it to Carey Mulligan.

by Anonymousreply 124November 19, 2019 4:18 AM

Take that statuette away from Country Girl Grace Kelly and give it to Born Star Judy Garland where it rightfully belongs.

by Anonymousreply 125November 19, 2019 4:18 AM

[quote]Gary Oldman to Denzel Washington for ROMAN J. ISRAEL, ESQ

Well that’s one swap you don’t see everyday...

by Anonymousreply 126November 19, 2019 4:24 AM

Totally agree with Roberts --> Burstyn

by Anonymousreply 127November 19, 2019 4:38 AM

"You in 'trouble,' girl," R25?

"You in TROUBLE, girl," R25?!!

Some sins are unforgivable. Get off of DL. NOW. Go, and never darken our towels again.

by Anonymousreply 128November 19, 2019 4:42 AM

r63, In my opinion the academy does not award black actors unless they have the buzz factor AND a showy performance.

by Anonymousreply 129November 19, 2019 4:48 AM

they gave one to the bland Regina King last year r129

by Anonymousreply 130November 19, 2019 4:51 AM

The lineup the year Michael Caine won for The Cider House Rules was stacked:

Tom Cruise - Magnolia

Michael Clarke Duncan - The Green Mile

Jude Law - The Talented Mr. Ripley

Haley Joel Osment - The Sixth Sense

ANY of these four men would have been a more exciting alternative to giving Caine his second Oscar. What the fuck was that about? I wasn't following the Awards at the time... were people anxious to give him another Oscar? In retrospect that really was a baffling choice.

by Anonymousreply 131November 19, 2019 4:54 AM

There is nothing "bland" about Regina King r130

by Anonymousreply 132November 19, 2019 5:04 AM

Lupita sucks the big one

by Anonymousreply 133November 19, 2019 5:26 AM

Love Lupita.

by Anonymousreply 134November 19, 2019 5:26 AM

Agree with R131, but I wouldn't give Michael Maurice Caine's second Oscar to Michael Clarke Duncan, Jude Heyworth Law, Haley Joel Osment OR Tom Cruise Mapother,

That year it should have gone to Philip Seymour Hoffman for Ripley and Magnolia.

by Anonymousreply 135November 19, 2019 6:25 AM

Take it away from Rami Malek and give it to anyone, even the mailman.

by Anonymousreply 136November 19, 2019 6:31 AM

Also take away Marisa Tomei's award for My Cousin Vinny and give it to Miranda Richardson for Damage or The Crying Game.

1999 is a year perfect for realignment.

Take away Roberto Benigni's award and give it to Jim Carrey for The Truman Show.

Give Gwyneth's award to Fernanda Montenegro for Central Station.

Take away James Coburn's award and give it to Philip Seymour Hoffman for Happiness.

Give Judi Dench's Oscar to Lynn Redgrave for Gods & Monsters.

by Anonymousreply 137November 19, 2019 6:33 AM

You using those actors' full names really fucked with my high mind.

Philip Seymour Hoffman ABSOLUTELY should have been nominated for Ripley. That's a performance in its own orbit... like it's too good for awards, really. I love PSH and I'm so sad he's dead. FUCK. I love him in Magnolia too... don't know if I'd've nominated him for that, but he's so moving in it... like this great big beating empathic heart amidst the mess. Aww, PSH!!! He should have won Oscars for everything.

Anyone see Before the Devil Knows You're Dead? I saw that film in theaters. It's pretty ballsy, and absolutely NOT the type of film that gets made anymore. It had PSH and Ethan Hawke as brothers, and then you've got Marisa Tomei getting fucked by PSH, and then PSH getting drugs from a gay ginger, and then Albert Finney as like the patriarch of it all. Tony winner Brían F. O'Byrne is also in the movie. It's directed by fucking Sidney Lumet! It was his last movie! It needs to be studied like Eyes Wide fucking SHUT!

by Anonymousreply 138November 19, 2019 6:34 AM

[quote]Take away James Coburn's award and give it to Philip Seymour Hoffman for Happiness.

Hold up, hold up, hold up. PSH did Magnolia, Ripley, and fucking Happiness in the SAME GODDAMN YEAR?! Where are the statues? They need to replace all walk of fame stars with PSH ones.

by Anonymousreply 139November 19, 2019 6:35 AM

SIDNEY LUMET NEVER WON A FUCKING OSCAR?!?!?

Give Rocky's director win to SIDNEY RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 140November 19, 2019 6:38 AM

I would take Roberto Benigni's Oscar for 'Life is Beautiful' and give it to Sir Ian McKellen for 'Gods and Monsters'. Sir Ian is a treasure who has been egregiously overlooked by the Academy!

by Anonymousreply 141November 19, 2019 6:44 AM

I'd give Shirley MacLaine's Oscar to......Julie Walters

by Anonymousreply 142November 19, 2019 6:46 AM

TaKe Josephine Hull's award for supporting actress for "Harvey" and give it to Celeste Holm for "All About Eve."

by Anonymousreply 143November 19, 2019 7:34 AM

1994: Tom Hanks in Philadelphia to Anthony Hopkins in Remains of the Day (though Tom was ok, his performance screamed give-me-an-Oscar. A Hopkins gave an understated and truly heartbreaking performance)

1995: Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump to Nigel Hawthorne in The Madness of King George or Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption

by Anonymousreply 144November 19, 2019 8:08 AM

I'd take all 3 of M's and give them to G for all the insults she has leveled at this great actress.

by Anonymousreply 145November 19, 2019 8:17 AM

Hepburn's fourth Oscar to Marsha Mason

M.s third Oscar to Viola Davis

GOOPS Oscar to the hold hag from Brazil

That annoying Italian 'comedian's' Oscar to Nick Nolte

Kevin Spaceys second Oscar to Richard Farnsworth

Angie's Oscar to Chloe Sevigny

by Anonymousreply 146November 19, 2019 10:12 AM

Surely Angie's Oscar should have gone to Julianne Moore for Magnolia?

You SUCK my DICK!

by Anonymousreply 147November 19, 2019 10:34 AM

Rip the Oscar out of Glenda Handbag’s hands and give it to Barbra for The Way We Were

Same for Roberto Begnini in favour of Ian McKellen for Gods and Monsters - you may additionally hit Begnini with a shovel for being irritating and then hit him again.

Absolutely agree with the Oscar to Lynn Redgrave for Gods and Monsters. Oddly enough a film I didn’t really like but thought the acting was stellar.

by Anonymousreply 148November 19, 2019 10:42 AM

Ditch Susan Sarandon for Dead Man Walking and give Sharon Stone the Oscar

Ditch Mira Sorvino for Mighty Aphrodite and give Jeanie Drynan the recognition she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 149November 19, 2019 10:43 AM

How about giving to someone who never be nominated? Take Ellen Burstyn's for "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" ( she should have won for "The Exorcist") and giving to Marilyn Burns in "The Texas Chainsaw massacre" who gave to this day the most realistic portrayal of a terrified victim. Her performance is one the main reasons this film is considered a true classic and is in the Museum Of Modern Arts film collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 19, 2019 10:53 AM

I REALLY wanted Bill Murray to win an Oscar for Lost in Translation, but I don't think I could take Sean Penn's for Mystic River away. Maybe Murray will get his Oscar yet.

by Anonymousreply 151November 19, 2019 11:17 AM

I'd have given Murray the Oscar for Translation. It feels even better to do so knowing Penn would win again for Milk.

by Anonymousreply 152November 19, 2019 11:20 AM

Take Faye's Oscar away and give it to Sissy Spacek in Carrie

Take Hepburns 4th Oscar and give that one to Faye for Mommie Dearest

by Anonymousreply 153November 19, 2019 11:41 AM

OP = Kate Hudson!

by Anonymousreply 154November 19, 2019 11:57 AM

I would give Barbara Stanwyck the Best Actress of 1944 for "Double Indemnity" over Ingrid Bergman's for "Gaslight". Ingrid was very good, but Barbara was mesmerizing. Joan Fontaine certainly deserved the award for "Rebecca" over Ginger Rogers, and Bette Davis for "The Little Foxes" over Joan's "sorry we didn't give it to you last year" award for "Suspicion". I'd also give Agnes Moorehead the Oscar for "The Magnificent Ambersons" over Teresa Wright for "Mrs. Miniver". Dame May Whitty was more memorable in that film, but Agnes gives the performance that stands the test of time.

For actor, James Stewart deserved it for "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", but they gave it to Robert Donat who was better in the previous year's "The Citadel" which deservedly went to Spencer Tracy. Henry Fonda stands the test of time more for "The Grapes of Wrath" than Stewart's supporting performance in "The Philadelphia Story". Cary Grant deserved the nomination for either "Philadelphia Story" or "His Girl Friday" over Jimmy who was better in "The Shop Around the Corner".

by Anonymousreply 155November 19, 2019 12:36 PM

I find posters like R121 really annoying.

Listing a thousand answers so anyone else’s contribution would be rendered unnecessary.

Wouldn’t be surprised if, when you host game night for your friends, some show up once, but never again.

by Anonymousreply 156November 19, 2019 1:09 PM

I'd take away Daniel Day-Lewis's Oscar and give it to Tom Cruise for Born on the Fourth of July.

by Anonymousreply 157November 19, 2019 1:10 PM

JUDY HOLLIDAY TO GLORIA SWANS

GRACE KELLY TO JUDY GARLAND

ANNE BANCROFT TO BETTE DAVIS

by Anonymousreply 158November 19, 2019 1:47 PM

I'd take away Jennifer Jones' Oscar for "Song of Bernadette" and give it to Jean Arthur for "The More The Merrier."

by Anonymousreply 159November 19, 2019 2:42 PM

I would take away Goops Oscar for Shakesqueer in Love and give it to the paranoiac hobo who haunts the subway trains in Ghost. Yes, I know the years are off, but subway duppies are INFINITE

by Anonymousreply 160November 19, 2019 2:48 PM

[quote] I'd take away Daniel Day-Lewis's Oscar and give it to Tom Cruise for Born on the Fourth of July.

So glad R157 doesn't have membership in the Academy. Tom Cruise "acting" in Bot4oJ and Magnolia is amateurish.

by Anonymousreply 161November 19, 2019 2:57 PM

Julie's Oscar to Audrey whose non nomination was ridiculous

The following year's Julie to Julie.

In any year Irene Dunne was nominated the Oscar should have gone to her.

by Anonymousreply 162November 19, 2019 3:17 PM

Rami deserved his Oscar

by Anonymousreply 163November 19, 2019 3:27 PM

I agree that Tom Cruise was robbed for "Magnolia". He was magnificent in that film.

by Anonymousreply 164November 19, 2019 3:28 PM

I would take it away from casey affleck and give it to andrew garfield.

by Anonymousreply 165November 19, 2019 3:30 PM

Kate Hudson was lovely in Almost Famous.

by Anonymousreply 166November 19, 2019 3:32 PM

Wow. A DLer wanting to see someone win for playing a hardcore devout Christian?!

by Anonymousreply 167November 19, 2019 3:32 PM

R167 I liked his performance it had nothing to do with his faith/beliefs for me.

by Anonymousreply 168November 19, 2019 3:40 PM

I think actors who have more than two Oscars are just greedy. Really, if you think about it two is all you need

by Anonymousreply 169November 19, 2019 3:50 PM

That makes Katherine Hepburn the world's greatest nympho.

by Anonymousreply 170November 19, 2019 3:52 PM

I'd take away Liz Taylor's Oscar for BUtterfield 8 and give it to Deborah Kerr in The Sundowners.

by Anonymousreply 171November 19, 2019 3:54 PM

Take away Donna Reed's Oscar for "From Here to Eternity" and give it to Thelma Ritter for "Pickup on South Street".

by Anonymousreply 172November 19, 2019 4:27 PM

Yes, R171!

I wouldn't give Bancoft's very well-deserved Oscar to Davis. Perhaps to Hepburn for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY, the only Oscar-worthy performance she gave later in her career. With that trade-off, I would give Julie Andrew's MARY POPPINS Oscar to Bancroft for THE PUMPKIN EATER.

"Take that statuette away from Country Girl Grace Kelly and give it to Born Star Judy Garland where it rightfully belongs."

Absolutely.

"1930: take away Mary Pickford's Oscar for Coquette and give it to Jeanne Eagels in The Letter."

Yes. Pickford's performance is embarrassing. Unfortunately, Eagels was an addict and Oscar didn't go in for booze and dope that year.

by Anonymousreply 173November 19, 2019 4:28 PM

Rami was great

by Anonymousreply 174November 19, 2019 8:53 PM

"I am taking away Michael Caines Oscar for Cider House Rules and awarding it posthumously to the rightful supporting actor winner, Michael Clarke Duncan for The Green Mile. The whole film rested in those enormous shoulders. All I remember about Caine is him saying goodnight to a bunch of brats in an attic."

Caine's New England accent was terrible. But this was another example of Award By Sentiment. Frankly, the award should have gone to another person in CIDER HOUSE who was superb and not nominated - Delroy Lindo, who played the abusive father. But Hollywood was too uncomfortable with that character since he sexually assaulted his own daughter.

I would take the Supporting Actress awards from Renee Z. in COLD MOUNTAIN for her appalling imitation of Betty Hutton as Annie Oakley and give it to Shohreh Agdashloo for her wonderful performance in HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG.

by Anonymousreply 175November 19, 2019 9:59 PM

R175 I still think it should have gone to Haley Joel Osment--one of the great performances of the uncanny.

by Anonymousreply 176November 19, 2019 10:01 PM

"I'd give Ellen Burstyn's for Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore to Gena Rowlands for A Woman Under The Influence."

Agree - Rowlands was extraordinary. And give Julia Roberts Oscar to Burstyn as noted above as recompense.

by Anonymousreply 177November 19, 2019 10:02 PM

Oh please. I was going to win that Oscar no matter what. It was inevitable! I always get what I want! Ask Vera

by Anonymousreply 178November 19, 2019 10:03 PM

1959:

Take away Simone Signoret's Oscar for "Room At The Top" and give it to Doris Day for "Pillow Talk."

Of course Doris kept on giving the same performance for most of her remaining movies....but in PT it was new and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 179November 19, 2019 10:32 PM

Sean Penn's Mystic River one should go to anybody else.

IS THAT MY OSCAR IN THERE????

IS

THAT

MY

OSCAR

IN

THERE????????????????????????????

(anguished moan)

by Anonymousreply 180November 19, 2019 11:33 PM

Seems to be a number of people that don't think Frances McDormand deserved it in 1996. My choice however would have been Brenda Blethyn over Watson and Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 181November 19, 2019 11:51 PM

I would also strip Janney of hers and give it to Metcalfe.

Janney did not act in that movie. She mimicked.

by Anonymousreply 182November 19, 2019 11:52 PM

Take Joe Pesci's Oscar away (Goodfellas) and give it to Bruce Davison (Longtime Companion). Bruce losing was a travesty.

by Anonymousreply 183November 19, 2019 11:55 PM

Take it away from Shirley Jones (Elmer Gantry) and give it to Janet Leigh (Psycho), 1960.

by Anonymousreply 184November 20, 2019 12:04 AM

2001 take away from Halle Berry and give it to Sissy Spacek.

by Anonymousreply 185November 20, 2019 12:09 AM

Recall Sarandon's and give it to Shue for Leaving Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 186November 20, 2019 12:11 AM

Lorraine Bracco should have the Oscar for Goodfellas that Whoopi Goldberg won for the horrible Ghost.

Bracco is fantastic in her role.

by Anonymousreply 187November 20, 2019 12:20 AM

Take away Dustin Hoffman's for Kramer and give it to Peter Sellars for Being There.

by Anonymousreply 188November 20, 2019 12:40 AM

To: Dustin Hoffman ("Midnight Cowboy").

by Anonymousreply 189November 20, 2019 12:46 AM

Cough it up, Jane Fonda (Coming Home, 1978). That award should have been Jill Clayburgh's (An Unmarried Woman).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190November 20, 2019 1:02 AM

I'd give John Wayne's Oscar to Jon Voight

by Anonymousreply 191November 20, 2019 1:03 AM

To: Leonardo DiCaprio ("Blood Diamond").

by Anonymousreply 192November 20, 2019 1:15 AM

R192 I disagree with that BIG TIME

by Anonymousreply 193November 20, 2019 1:18 AM

Marcia Gay Harden is a much better actress than Kate Hudson

by Anonymousreply 194November 20, 2019 1:23 AM

Doesn’t mean she was more deserving in that particular performance.

by Anonymousreply 195November 20, 2019 1:24 AM

Lake Dardanelle is a better actress than Kate Hudson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196November 20, 2019 1:49 AM

Again. Kate was wonderful in Almost Famous

by Anonymousreply 197November 20, 2019 2:10 AM

I'd take Hepburn's Oscar in 1967 and give it to Faye Dunaway for Bonnie and Clyde

I'd take Burstyn's Oscar for Alice in 1974 and give it to Dunaway for Chinatown.

Then Faye would have 3 Oscars!

TA DA!

so there

by Anonymousreply 198November 20, 2019 2:26 AM

Grace Kelly and give it to Judy.

Anne Bancroft and give it to Betty Davis

by Anonymousreply 199November 20, 2019 2:28 AM

Thank you, R172.

You are absolutely correct.

The fact that the sublime Thelma Ritter, nominated 6 times, never won is preposterous.

And R143 is wrong. Josephine Hull's Oscar should have gone to Thelma Ritter for All About Eve. Not Celeste Holm.

by Anonymousreply 200November 20, 2019 2:42 AM

What is wrong with Kate's forehead in OP's photo? Is it a vein? It looks ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 201November 20, 2019 2:44 AM

Take Olivia Colman (horseface) 's Oscar and give it to G.

(please remember G has become such an object of pity that I now support her efforts.)

by Anonymousreply 202November 20, 2019 4:30 AM

That French cunt! It shoulda been me!

by Anonymousreply 203November 20, 2019 4:50 AM

R161 Fuck off! Cruise had to play a teenager, a soldier, a cripple, and an activist. He was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 204November 20, 2019 8:43 AM

Goldie Hawn was appealing in “Cactus Flower”, but Catherine Burns was unforgettable in “Last Summer” and deserved the Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 205November 20, 2019 11:13 AM

Take away Dustin Hoffman's Oscar and give it to Peter Sellers.

Kramer vs. Kramer was shit.

by Anonymousreply 206November 20, 2019 12:23 PM

[quote] Michael Clarke Duncan for The Green Mile. The whole film rested in those enormous shoulders

Ridiculous. His whole performance was looking up at the ceiling with a tearful grimace.

by Anonymousreply 207November 20, 2019 1:14 PM

Take away Dustin's statue for Rain Man (an easy performance when you think about it) and give it to Tom Hanks for Big

by Anonymousreply 208November 20, 2019 2:35 PM

Streep’s third should have gone to Rooney Mara.

Amy Adams has probably given 10 Oscar-worthy performances in her career. How she didn’t even get a nomination for “Arrival” will always mystify me.

by Anonymousreply 209November 20, 2019 2:56 PM

I think most film fans would agree with you About Adams in Arrival r209. There was outrage when it happened.

Streep’s third belonged to Viola.

by Anonymousreply 210November 20, 2019 3:55 PM

I’d take Cher’s Oscar for MOONSTRUCK and give it to Glenn Close for her turn in FATAL ATTRACTION. Ditto for Jodie Foster in THE ACCUSED..once again to Glenn for DANGEROUS LIAISONS. Both Cher and Jodie gave such one note performances. Still perplexed by the choices that the Academy made.

And...Angela Bassett deserved to win Best Actress for WHATS LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT, and not Emma Thompson for HOWARDS END.

by Anonymousreply 211November 20, 2019 4:02 PM

I don't know about taking Forest Whitaker's Oscar, but Will Farrell should have at least been nominated for Stranger than Fiction. I'm not a Will Farrell fan, but he was *fantastic* in that film.

by Anonymousreply 212November 20, 2019 5:26 PM

From Tom Hanks for Philadelphia and award to Liam Neeson for Schindler’s list

by Anonymousreply 213November 20, 2019 8:08 PM

Take away Natalie Portman's Oscar and give it to....anyone but her

by Anonymousreply 214November 20, 2019 8:14 PM

[quote]And...Angela Bassett deserved to win Best Actress for WHATS LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT, and not Emma Thompson for HOWARDS END.

You know it was Colly Cunter who beat Angie B? That year EmmaT was nommed for The Remains Of The Day. Michelle Pfeiffer wasn't even nommed that year for The Ages Of Innocents. But Stockyard Channing got nommed instead for Six Degrees Of Separation along with Deborah Winged who was nommed for Shadowlands. Juliette Binoche could have been a nommed too for Three Colours Blue but Janft Jackson didn't have a chance in hell of getting nommed in the acting category for Poetic Justice - it was Poetic Justice she didn't get nommed LOL.

by Anonymousreply 215November 20, 2019 9:14 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 216November 20, 2019 10:16 PM

What movie did Bump win for?

by Anonymousreply 217November 21, 2019 12:51 AM

Switch to decaf, r215.

by Anonymousreply 218November 21, 2019 1:04 AM

[quote]1941: take away James Stewart's Oscar for The Philadelphia Story and give it to Henry Fonda in The Grapes of Wrath

Stewart winning over Fonda here is fucking travesty.

by Anonymousreply 219November 21, 2019 1:12 AM

JEnnifer Lawrence. She really was a 2012-2014 flash in the pan. I don’t like her anymore. She doesn’t deserve an Oscar. Her hacked photos showed she has a beautiful ass hole tho. Cancel her

by Anonymousreply 220November 21, 2019 1:24 AM

Agree on snatching Julia Roberts Oscar away and giving it Ellen Burstyn. Requiem For a Dream stayed with me for a long time after watching it. I couldn’t get it out of my head, largely due to Burstyn’s performance.

by Anonymousreply 221November 21, 2019 1:34 AM

I love Julia and thinks she deserves an Oscar BUT Burstyn’s Requiem performance is a revelation!!!! Such amazing work...

Sometime down the line we will question Emma Stone’s LA LA land win. Not sure who should have but that wasn’t an Oscar worthy performance!!!

by Anonymousreply 222November 21, 2019 1:59 AM

I like Cher but no way should she have won her Oscar for that cheesy romantic comedy Moonstruck over Glenn Close in the suspenseful Fatal Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 223November 21, 2019 2:03 AM

Cher absolutely deserved her Oscar. Comedy is harder than drama and it gets no respect at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 224November 21, 2019 2:09 AM

Faye Dunaway deserved the Oscar for Chinatown at the 47th Academy Awards. Ellen Burstyn was OK, but not even CLOSE - IMO.

by Anonymousreply 225November 21, 2019 2:26 AM

Dunaway couldn't touch Gena Rowlands. People also forget that Dunaway's screen time in CHINATOWN is only a bit more than a supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 226November 21, 2019 2:37 AM

[quote]Sometime down the line we will question Emma Stone’s LA LA land win. Not sure who should have but that wasn’t an Oscar worthy performance!!!

Going to disagree with you here. Stone's award was well-deserved. The only nominee that came close to her that year was Isabelle Huppert in "Elle".

by Anonymousreply 227November 21, 2019 5:25 AM

The Best Actress race that year was interesting. The two early frontrunners were Emma Stone and Natalie Portman. Portman actually had the edge for a bit right at the beginning, but that changed when Stone won the Comedy Actress Globe and Huppert won Drama. At that point Stone secured her win. Not only was she in a Best Picture frontrunner, but she was the ingenue that sang and danced and played an actress. Huppert couldn't compete with that, and for a moment even a nomination was questionable.

That was also the year Amy Adams got snubbed because Meryl Streep shouted out Ruth Negga while accepting that lifetime achievement Globe or whatever. We all thought Adams was an easy lock, and people suspect that Meryl helped nudge her in there.

by Anonymousreply 228November 21, 2019 5:52 AM

Take Tommy Lee Jones' Best Supporting Oscar for THE FUGITIVE and give it to Leonardo DiCaprio for WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE.

Adrien Brody's Oscar for Best Actor and give to Daniel Day Lewis for GANGS OF NEW YORK.

Brie Larson's Oscar for ROOM to Saoirse Ronan for BROOKLYN.

Julianne Moore's Oscar for STILL ALICE to Rosamund Pike for GONE GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 229November 21, 2019 5:59 AM

[quote]Julianne Moore's Oscar for STILL ALICE to Rosamund Pike for GONE GIRL.

Yes! Only if she gets her Boogie Nights one. And maybe The Hours.

by Anonymousreply 230November 21, 2019 7:35 AM

1996: Take Best Actor away from Geoffrey Rush and give it to literally any of the other nominees in that category (minus Cruise), who were more deserving. It was a strong field and Rush in no way deserved the win, primarily because the actor playing the younger version of that character did all of the heavy lifting and Rush came in at the last 30 minutes and got the credit for it.

by Anonymousreply 231November 21, 2019 1:31 PM

I adore Emma Stone, but her win for La La Land is a joke. Either Huppert or Portman would've been far superior choices.

by Anonymousreply 232November 21, 2019 2:02 PM

[quote]I adore Emma Stone, but her win for La La Land is a joke.

Everything about La La Land is a joke, beginning with the fact of its very existence.

by Anonymousreply 233November 21, 2019 2:10 PM

Amen, R233!

by Anonymousreply 234November 21, 2019 2:11 PM

R233. I walked out during La La Land. I thought it was a stupid, silly movie.

by Anonymousreply 235November 21, 2019 2:20 PM

If I had been alone, r235, so would I have.

by Anonymousreply 236November 21, 2019 2:21 PM

I enjoyed watching La La Land, but I did not get the never ending praise for it and people running to see it like it was this masterpiece revelation. It wasn’t.

There were even people proclaiming it the greatest musical ever and it became cool to trash musicals of the past (like West Side Story) to make LLL seem better and cooler.

Gosling was not very good in it. And his played out fake NYC native persona needs to die. He is Canadian. And lives out West.

Stone didn’t deserve her win. Huppert was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 237November 21, 2019 2:31 PM

And Cher proved that r244, by proving that she wasn’t funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 238November 21, 2019 7:19 PM

R235 - So did I. Left the theater with 30 minutes to go. It was $16 and 2 hours of my life that I wont' get back. What a crap movie. I think its the first movie I walked out of.

by Anonymousreply 239November 21, 2019 11:02 PM

R239 you should have asked for a refund.

by Anonymousreply 240November 21, 2019 11:09 PM

Poster upthread is correct: Helen Hunt's ridiculous win for "As Good As It Gets" owns this thread.

I mean, fuck, take hers away and give it to Benji.

by Anonymousreply 241November 22, 2019 1:07 AM

R235 - You are not alone.

La La Land was the most overhyped piece of shit I can remember in a verrrryyyy long time.

by Anonymousreply 242November 22, 2019 1:08 AM

If Dustin Hoffman should give his Rain Man Oscar to anyone, it should have been Gene Hackman in Mississippi Burning. One of his greatest and most underrated performances.

Hackman should have at least five more Oscars on his mantle.

by Anonymousreply 243November 22, 2019 3:29 AM

Hackman for Royal Tennebaum role!

by Anonymousreply 244November 22, 2019 4:13 AM

It's weird that they didn't go for Hackman in Tenenbaums. No actor has been nominated for Wes Anderson's films, and that's kind of a shame. I bet Ralph Fiennes was close with The Grand Budapest Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 245November 22, 2019 4:27 AM

I just learned Gene Hackman was not nominated for The Conversation. WTF???

by Anonymousreply 246November 22, 2019 4:31 AM

That year was stacked for Lead Actor.

by Anonymousreply 247November 22, 2019 4:46 AM

1973: Take away Glenda Jackson for "A Touch Of Class" and give to Ellen Burstyn for "The Exorcist".

1974: Take away Ingrid Bergman for "Murder on the Orient Express" and give to Madeline Kahn for "Blazing Saddles".

1976: Take away Beatrice Straight for "Network" and give to Piper Laurie for "Carrie".

by Anonymousreply 248November 22, 2019 7:50 AM

Take away from Mira Sorvino and give to any of her competitors. Although I didn't see the other performances they were surely all better.

by Anonymousreply 249November 22, 2019 8:08 AM

We must remember sometimes these awards are career achievement wins. It makes sense because the Academy Award is so prestigious. Sometimes an actor is winning for having been robbed in previous years or consistently deliveries excellent performances that came out at the wrong time, where another actor delivered a high caliber performance. That was definitely the case when Alan Arkin upset Eddie Murphy. Sometimes its so hard to determine the pinnacle of excellence in that given year the more consistent or traditional actor wins. Not to say this is the case for all the have been posted here; many here should never ave won int heir perspective years.

I'd bet my bottom dollar when G. finally wins it will not be the very best of that year.

by Anonymousreply 250November 22, 2019 8:49 AM

The Oscars have always been rigged and/or biased.

by Anonymousreply 251November 22, 2019 11:57 AM

Take from Alan Arkin and give it to Eddie Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 252November 22, 2019 1:18 PM

Take away Charles Durning's nomination for BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE and give it to Charles Durning for his touching performance in TOOTSIE. What were they thinking....

by Anonymousreply 253November 22, 2019 4:51 PM

R250 True. Really G. should have won in 1988 for Dangerous Liaisons. It was a great line-up and Jodie Foster was a very deserving winner (she was my choice at the time but I was torn between G., M. & Jodie and Sigourney & Melanie weren't too far behind in the excellence stakes that year) but looking back Jodie doesn't need to have two Oscars and her first should be given to a very deserving Glenn for her greatest performance in Dangerous Liaisons.

by Anonymousreply 254November 23, 2019 9:31 AM

marisa tomei !!!! ridiculous dumb ass comedy in which she played a lame bimbo....yea rite....

by Anonymousreply 255November 23, 2019 10:11 AM

cher !!!!!!!! horrid film, silly poshit

by Anonymousreply 256November 23, 2019 10:13 AM

Tomei remains one of my all time favorite Oscar wins.

by Anonymousreply 257November 23, 2019 11:18 AM

Agree about Tomei's win, r257. She's absolutely delightful in the film, one of the few I can watch repeatedly and never tire of.

by Anonymousreply 258November 23, 2019 1:56 PM

Agree with R257 and R258 wholeheartedly.

by Anonymousreply 259November 23, 2019 2:47 PM

Pls excuse my typos but I hope my post makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 260November 23, 2019 3:19 PM

Yes! R257 & R258 & R259. Marisa was butter in “My Cousin Vinny”.

by Anonymousreply 261November 23, 2019 8:44 PM

Marisa was the best part of that movie, and that character could have been annoying or forgettable with the wrong actress. She made them great.

by Anonymousreply 262November 23, 2019 9:03 PM

I enjoyed Tomei in VINNY, but Judy Davis was superb in HUSBANDS AND WIVES, and deserved that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 263November 23, 2019 9:52 PM

It is universally agreed upon that in 1974 Bergman's Oscar should have gone to Valentina Cortese. Where you get Kahn from nobody has any idea. Bergman herself said it at the podium. Cortese died this past July at the age of 96.

Kahn should have gotten the Oscar for her beautiful performance in Paper Moon that went instead to that pint sized joke of a spoon fed performance by Tatum. Who was never to give a performance of note in anything ever again. Except as a total catastrophe of an adult. Not that it was her fault.

by Anonymousreply 264November 23, 2019 11:12 PM

R263 True but Davis was never going to get it after it became public knowledge that Woody had his woody in Soon-Yi his longterm girlfriends daughter. Nobody in Hollywood in early 1993 wanted anyone up on stage thanking Woody Allen. If Woody Allen hadn't seduced Soon-Yi, Judy Davis would have an Oscar winner. Marisa might have gone on to win in either In the Bedroom or The Wrestler. Marisa is great in all of over Oscar nominated roles and a case could be made for a nomination for her drugged out 'nurse' in The Slums of Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 265November 24, 2019 4:34 AM

I would take away the Oscar from Jessica Lange for Tootsie and give it to Leslie Anne Warren for Victor Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 266November 26, 2019 5:55 AM

God help us. You're going to invoke the Lange Loon.

by Anonymousreply 267November 26, 2019 2:12 PM

And the winner (who should have been) is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268November 26, 2019 8:02 PM

r267 is right about the Lange Loon. What r266 did was the equivalent of chanting "Bloody Mary" in front of a mirror 13 times.

by Anonymousreply 269November 27, 2019 6:01 AM

art carney - al pacino al pacino -denzel washington tommy lee jones-ralph fienne sean penn- bill murray julia roberts- ellen burstyn roberto benigni-nick nolte jim boardbent-ben kingsley

by Anonymousreply 270November 27, 2019 6:22 AM

Take away anything Judi Stench has won.

by Anonymousreply 271November 27, 2019 4:44 PM

Is that you at r271, Sir Ian?

by Anonymousreply 272November 28, 2019 2:48 PM

Streisand. She doesn't deserve any kind of award for what she calls acting. She played Streisand, not Brice.

by Anonymousreply 273November 30, 2019 6:02 PM

Emma Stone to Isabelle Huppert

by Anonymousreply 274November 30, 2019 6:39 PM

Sorry Cuba but Edward Norton wants his award back

by Anonymousreply 275November 30, 2019 10:25 PM

Julianne Moore, give your award to who it should have went to, Rosamund Pike.

by Anonymousreply 276December 29, 2019 10:39 PM

Rosamund Pike hasn't done shit in the last few years....a sign that she's not really that great

by Anonymousreply 277December 29, 2019 11:11 PM

She was really good in A Private War, r277. She also had a couple kids

by Anonymousreply 278December 29, 2019 11:15 PM

Rosamund should have been nominated for A Private War.

by Anonymousreply 279December 29, 2019 11:22 PM

Elisabeth Shue was robbed by Susan Sarandon. Sarandon can be excellent but she wasn't the best that year.

by Anonymousreply 280December 29, 2019 11:46 PM

Monique ( I am proved that spelling for her). That supporting actress should’ve been Maggie Gyllenhaal.

by Anonymousreply 281December 30, 2019 12:10 AM

Jennifer Lawrence to anyone else in the category. You shouldn’t get it by doing Harvey. All such awards should be taken away.

by Anonymousreply 282December 30, 2019 12:11 AM

If you're limiting it to actual real-world nominees, take Julie Andrews' Oscar and give it to Sophia Loren, take Vanessa Redgrave's Oscar and give it to Melinda Dillon, take Cher's Oscar and give it to Glenn Close.

And after [italic]Cats[/italic], Judi Dench must, sadly, relinquish her Oscar and give it to Lynn Redgrave.

Take Helen Hunt's Oscar and give it to Helena Bonham Carter.

Take Kevin Spacey's second Oscar and give it to Richard Farnsworth. He can keep the first one.

Take Hilary Swank's first Oscar and give it to Julianne Moore. She can keep the second one.

Take Julia Roberts' Oscar and give it to Laura Linney.

Take Catherine Zeta-Jones' Oscar and give it to Queen Latifah.

Take the first Oscar from Sean Penn and give it to Bill Murray.

Take George Clooney's Oscar and give it to Paul Giamatti.

Take Sean Penn's second Oscar and give it to Mickey Rourke.

by Anonymousreply 283December 30, 2019 12:13 AM

R282 thinks people get Academy Awards just because of sleeping with someone. Tell that to all the z list actresses who put out but never got anywhere

by Anonymousreply 284December 30, 2019 12:13 AM

“ Monique ( I am proved that spelling for her).”

R281 Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 285December 30, 2019 12:44 AM

[quote]Jennifer Lawrence to anyone else in the category. You shouldn’t get it by doing Harvey. All such awards should be taken away.

All awards given to Miramax films are suspect. How they went after the music industry for payola but let movies practically get away with murder in this respect is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 286December 30, 2019 1:31 AM

Swank definitely deserved that first Oscar

by Anonymousreply 287December 30, 2019 5:33 AM

Nothing about that shitty transcult propaganda was Oscar-worthy. All those movies are as bad as [italic]Myra Breckinridge[/italic] if not worse, yet pointing that out is now hate speech.

by Anonymousreply 288December 30, 2019 5:35 AM

Take away Jennifer Hudson's Oscar and shove it up the Academy's ass for making such a ridiculous choice.

by Anonymousreply 289December 30, 2019 7:19 AM

[quote] Monique ( I am proved that spelling for her). That supporting actress should’ve been Maggie Gyllenhaal.

I know opinions are subjective, which is why I try not to dog anyone's, but this needs to be called out.

You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 290December 30, 2019 7:21 AM

Halle Berry (Monster's Ball) can promptly hand hers over to Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive). It's criminal that Naomi wasn't even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 291December 30, 2019 8:07 AM

I would take away Anthony Hopkins win and give it to River Phoenix for Idaho.

by Anonymousreply 292December 30, 2019 8:47 AM

I would take away Anthony Hopkins win and give it to River Phoenix for Idaho.

by Anonymousreply 293December 30, 2019 8:47 AM

R291 they were different years

by Anonymousreply 294December 30, 2019 8:51 AM

[quote] [R291] they were different years

No, same year. 2001, presented in 2002.

by Anonymousreply 295December 30, 2019 9:11 AM

1941 - Take away Ginger Rogers' undeserved Oscar for the torpid Kitty Foyle and give it either to Joan Fontaine for Suspicion, Bette Davis for The Letter, or Katharine Hepburn for the The Philadelphia Story, three of the nominees she inexplicably beat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296December 30, 2019 9:26 AM

^^ I mean Joan Fontaine for Rebecca. (She won for Suspicion the next year to make amends for the unfair loss).

by Anonymousreply 297December 30, 2019 9:28 AM

I would take Josephine Hull's Oscar for Harvey and give it to Thelma Ritter for All about Eve.

I would take Katharine Hepburn's Oscar for The Lion in Winter and give it to Barbra Streisand because Barbra shouldn't have to share and she deserves two Oscars for Funny Girl, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 298December 30, 2019 10:06 AM

R295 sorry, it was 2002 in the UK. You're absolutely correct!

by Anonymousreply 299December 30, 2019 10:25 AM

Why do so many of you crackas want to take Oscars away from black actors and gave them to whites.

by Anonymousreply 300December 30, 2019 12:52 PM

I hereby take Robert Donat's Oscar for "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" and present it, posthumously, to Clark Gable for "Gone With the Wind." Say what you will about the film, Gable's electric presence in it as Rhett Butler is unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 301December 30, 2019 1:05 PM

R300 Just for that, we're taking back Hattie McDaniel's Oscar and giving it to either Edna May Oliver or Maria Ouspenskaya.

by Anonymousreply 302December 30, 2019 1:12 PM

I suggest taking away Hattie's nomination and giving it to Margaret Hamilton! Let's here it for the green girl!

by Anonymousreply 303December 30, 2019 1:13 PM

Jane Fonda (Coming Home) to Jill Clayborgh (An Unmarried Woman) , 1978.

Natalie Portman (Black Swan) to Annette Bening (The Kids Are All Right), 2010.

by Anonymousreply 304December 30, 2019 1:29 PM

Jill Claybergs boobs were so ugly, she could not win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 305December 30, 2019 5:49 PM

Speaking of black actors, snatch Octavia Spencer's award away for The Help and give it to Janet McTeer for being the only light in the otherwise turgid Albert Nobbs.

by Anonymousreply 306December 30, 2019 5:52 PM

Black actors can’t lose their awards.

by Anonymousreply 307December 30, 2019 6:29 PM

I should've won Hattie's Oscar, I was nominated too for the same movie.

by Anonymousreply 308December 30, 2019 6:40 PM

R308 You should have been nominated for your gracious performance in running over to hug Hattie then running out of sight in tears!

by Anonymousreply 309December 30, 2019 6:47 PM

Are people here really shitting on Hattie? Really?

by Anonymousreply 310December 30, 2019 6:51 PM

R310 we are shitting on Olivia, see the current thread about HOW she felt she should have been nominated for Lead in GWTW.

by Anonymousreply 311December 30, 2019 7:09 PM

R212 I totally agree/bump/whatever the term is. He was, much like that movie, excellent. It remains one of my favorites, if only because of the uniquity of the story. And while I’m making up words can I please just say that upthread when someone used the word “nommed” I could only think of a cute kitten chewing kibble?

by Anonymousreply 312December 30, 2019 7:51 PM

Pull Luise Rainer from her casket and make her give that 1937 Oscar for her yellowface turn in THE GOOD EARTH.

It SHOULD have gone to Miss Barbara Stanwyck in STELLA DALLAS.

by Anonymousreply 313December 31, 2019 2:39 AM

I absolutely agree, OP. If you hadn't mentioned Kate and Marcia, that would have been the one that sprung to mind for me. Kate made such a poignant, memorable character of Penny Lane. No one remembers a second of Marcia's performance.

by Anonymousreply 314December 31, 2019 3:06 AM

Take Linda Hunt's yellow face never believed she was a man award and give it to Cher.

Then take Cher's Best Actress award and give it to Glenn Close. Fatal Attraction still holds up today.

by Anonymousreply 315December 31, 2019 3:54 AM

Moonstruck still 'holds up' today. If that's the standard, Cher keeps her Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 316December 31, 2019 11:40 AM

But Cher would have never gotten the Oscar for Moonstruck had she won it for Silkwood.

by Anonymousreply 317December 31, 2019 5:29 PM

I like Cher, but she’s a one note actress who got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 318December 31, 2019 5:59 PM

This year, I would take away Laura Dern's and hand it to Florence Pugh or ScarJo

by Anonymousreply 319January 25, 2020 12:41 PM

Linda Hunt was perfect in that film. I am glad she won.

by Anonymousreply 320January 25, 2020 12:45 PM

OP, I would take the Oscar you took away from Marcia Gay Harden, bitch-slap you AND that no-talent Kate Hudson, and return it to its rightful owner, Marcia Gay Harden, who's a real actress and not just some famous Boomer's nepotistic daughter.

by Anonymousreply 321January 25, 2020 12:54 PM

[quote] One thing we will NOT do is take away Sidney Poitier's win. That was groundbreaking.

It won’t be when we take away the 1946 Best Actor Oscar from Fredric March for [italic]The Best Years of f Our Lives[/italic] and give it to James Baskett for [italic]Song of the South[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 322January 25, 2020 2:55 PM

Disregard that extra f.

by Anonymousreply 323January 25, 2020 2:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!