Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ford Gambles Big With An An All-Electric Crossover: The 2021 Mustang Mach E

Your thoughts people? It looks pretty ungainly to me, sort of like a BMW Gran Turismo with that high beltline and ungainly big rear end. It's got the bloatedness of an SUV without the function. I do like the fact that they are stressing performance here instead of fuel economy. The Mustang brand is about the driving experience not saving the world. Is this what people want? Would you buy one? This is going to compete with the new base Tesla which is far sleeker and more refined all around. That Ford needs Idris Elba as a brand ambassador either shows they're worried or they have a ton riding on this. Maybe both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 3:05 AM

Well, it's no Canyonero.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2019 6:19 PM

Most teslas I see are stuck in traffic so this is another option for people who sit and get fat in traffic. Moo.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2019 6:26 PM

I think its great looking - excellent design and cues to the Mustang. But the Audi all-electric SUV is better looking.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2019 7:03 PM

It's part of the new-ish micro-niche of Coupe SUV's, much like the BMW X6 etc., and it looks pretty decent, I'd say - the nose maintains the overall Ford family look whilst the rear haunches and tail-light treatment are particularly appealing. The slab-like infotainment screen is much less so, it doesn't look to be in any way integrated into the dashboard, and actually looks like an after-market add-on. The Tesla Model 3 is just as bad in that respect, mind you.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2019 7:25 PM

Guys, R3 & R4 specifically, do you think the overall chunkiness looks good? Whenever I've been behind an X6, they seem sort of comical to me. When people made fun of the BMW Bangle Butt, the X6 took that to new heights. I'd say the nose is the only thing Mustang about it to me.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2019 7:34 PM

The exterior bears a striking resemblance to the just discontinued INFINITI QX70, a design that's was around for fifteen years. I also dislike the Tesla style full size tablet tacked vertically on the center of the dashboard. Every other carmaker has figured out how to integrate long horizontal screen interfaces into their interiors. The slapped on iPad just looks incongruous.

The new Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator just had the worst and most embarrassing launches of any vehicles ever, so I'd be leery of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2019 7:36 PM

So true, R6. The Explorer/Aviator are assembled at a plant in Chicago. The finished product quality is so poor at the Chicago plant, the vehicles are shipped to another factory in Michigan where they are the numerous errors are corrected and repaired, then the vehicles are sent to dealers.

And 43K for the lowest price for the Mustang E? They're obviously not going for the mass market like the original Mustang did. The original 2 door coupe stickered for <$3K, fully loaded with all the goodies <$4K,

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2019 7:44 PM

This is no Mustang. It looks like a frauwagen.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2019 11:29 PM

Why can't GM, Ford and Chrysler make attractive cars with elegant lines? They always have to add weird extrusions and creases and bulges and too-big logos. Just keep it simple. Even their luxury and performance models are dowdy-looking.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2019 11:38 PM

Why does it need all that grill if it’s electric? It’s like Ford slapped George Michael’s leather jacket on a decent car.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2019 12:00 AM

Well, there certainly have been some ugly Mustangs in the past.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2019 12:15 AM

[quote] ...specifically, do you think the overall chunkiness looks good?

I don't see the chunkiness you're talking about. High belt line? I don't see that either.

As far as I see it, the styling is in the vein of the Porsche Macan and the Jaquar F Pace.

I bet this is going to do well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2019 12:17 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2019 12:20 AM

I like it but I think it was a big mistake to name it Mustang.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2019 12:33 AM

Calling it Mustang and giving it familiar Mustang design cues is a brilliant marketing move.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2019 1:23 AM

It looks like it should be named Taurus

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2019 1:29 AM

$43k for a bloated hatchback?

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 1:31 AM

No one is going to look at this bloated Ford Escape and think " is that a Mustang ?"

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 1:39 AM

R12, I guess we're seeing two different cars then. Your picture illustrates it best for me. The raised stance of the car, the bulging sheet metal that appears to be the bottom 3/4 of the car, and the relatively small amount of glass appear awkward to me. It is aping the design language of some of those other SUVs, but they are selling it as a crossover. I don't see Mustang fans flocking to it. The Tesla 3 appeals to me much more, design-wise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 1:47 AM

R19 I much prefer the Tesla's design as well.

But I'm able to step back and objectively observe the Mustang.

The Tesla is elegant. It's the epitome of good taste in auto design.

That's not the Mustang clientele. The Mustang is going to have a tougher look. That's the design legacy of the car.

The kind of customer that wants a Tesla, isn't going to buy something called Mustang.

I think the Mustang looks right, however I would like to have seen an even stronger resemblance to the coupe.

But this is a good tough looking sporty design. If it had vertical grille opening it could pass as a new offering from Alfa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 2:03 AM

Maybe it needs bold color on it, like that blue, R12/20. It certainly looks better there. I'm curious to see it in person, either way.I'm getting Ronan Farrow vibes, looks good from certain angles and hideous from others.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 2:10 AM

R13 looks like a click it or ticket poster.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2019 3:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!