Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chick-fil-A is ending donations criticized by LGBTQ activists after years of backlash

I’m at Union Station eating waffle fries to celebrate right now! On Monday, Chick-fil-A announced it was making a major change to perhaps the most controversial part of the company: its charitable giving arm. In a press release, the company said it will "deepen its giving to a smaller number of organizations working exclusively in the areas of education, homelessness and hunger." A Chick-fil-A representative confirmed that the organization will no longer donate to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Salvation Army, two organization that have been criticized by LGBTQ advocates. "We made multiyear commitments to both organizations, and we fulfilled those obligations in 2018. Moving forward you will see that the Chick-fil-A Foundation will support the three specific initiatives of homelessness, hunger and education," the representative said in a statement to Business Insider. Chick-fil-A had previously worked with the groups to fund specific programs - such as summer camps - that work directly with underprivileged children. In 2020, Chick-fil-A has committed $9 million each to three initiatives: education, homelessness and hunger. Chick-fil-A is expanding partnerships with education nonprofit Junior Achievement USA and homeless youth organization Covenant House International. The company will also dedicate $25,000 to a local food bank following each new Chick-fil-A opening. Chick-fil-A has faced backlash for its donations and those of its top executives for years. Prior to 2012, Chick-fil-A made significant donations to right-wing and religious organizations known for lobbying against LGBTQ rights through the WinShape Foundation. Chick-fil-A stopped making donations to almost all controversial groups after facing backlash in 2012, when CEO Dan Cathy said he did not support same-sex marriage. However, the company continued its relationships with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Salvation Army.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2019 10:29 PM

You forgot the "Fat Whores, Rejoice!"

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2019 3:15 PM

It's entirely because of recent backlash against their anti LGBT stance. It was cutting into their bottom line, which they explicitly say in this article. They were defending their anti LGBT donations as recently as May so let's not go handing out halos just yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2019 3:17 PM

Whatever the reason, I’m Eating a Delicious chicken sandwich today!

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2019 3:28 PM

You still shouldn't eat junk food, regardless of their policies.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2019 4:01 PM

This is our CFA troll, he's constantly posting how much CFA he's going to eat, then he moves on to another troll topic. We probably DO want him to eat junk food. Lots of delicious, artery-clogging junk food.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2019 4:05 PM

I still won't eat at Chick Fil A because they force their franchisees into religion. And I still think they will vote anti LGBTQ even if they don't donate to radical anti LGBTQ groups anyore. They are total fundie freaks. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2019 4:09 PM

[quote]I’m at Union Station eating waffle fries to celebrate right now!

As opposed to before when you also ate them.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2019 4:12 PM

[quote]It's entirely because of recent backlash against their anti LGBT stance. It was cutting into their bottom line, which they explicitly say in this article.

While it doesn't endear me to CFA themselves, this is a good thing. Homophobia is becoming less and less popular.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2019 4:14 PM

How about Hobby Lobby?

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2019 4:17 PM

[quote]It's entirely because of recent backlash against their anti LGBT stance. It was cutting into their bottom line, which they explicitly say in this article.

No thanks to a lot of the gay assholes on here who simply couldn't bear to give up this crap food like there were no other options.

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2019 4:18 PM

How convenient. they don't hate gays when it hurts their bottom line

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2019 4:21 PM

OP, I despise you.

For your support of that hateful company

AND

For your apparent unfamiliarity with things like PARAGRAPH BREAKS and the RETURN KEY.

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2019 4:22 PM

Glad to see they're moving in the right direction.

Though their policy towards LGBT matters is terrible, I believe they do treat their workers, (some of whom are probably LGBT), much, much better than any other fast food joint and working conditions are far superior to BK, McD's, KFC, Taco Bell, etc.

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2019 4:23 PM

Still not gonna eat it. When the one near me opened in NYC, I used the freebie card to try a free chicken sandwich and it was marginal at best.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2019 4:24 PM

You have a northern pallet r14

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2019 4:45 PM

Not a fan of their greasy chicken but their salads are very good for a fast food joint.

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2019 4:50 PM

They're scared shitless of Popeye's, and they realize that to compete they'll have to expand. This is about money, nothing more. That said, I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious to try their sandwich (and especially the waffle fries) and see if the hype is deserved. I'm proud to say I've never bought their food with my own money (though once someone bought me a sandwich from there - it wasn't that good and it had cheese on it, so I'm guessing it wasn't their regular sandwich).

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2019 5:28 PM

Does no one eat healthy anymore?

I mean I'd admit to eating junk here/there, but some of you seem to eat at these places multiple times a week.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2019 5:30 PM

R18, are you new to America bro?

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2019 6:01 PM

[quote] They're scared shitless of Popeye's, and they realize that to compete they'll have to expand.

ROFL!!! Popeye's sucks and their sandwich is nothing special. A bunch of marketing hype is not going to sustain them.

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2019 6:09 PM

[quote]I still won't eat at Chick Fil A because they force their franchisees into religion.

Can you briefly explain what you mean by that?

[quote]Popeye's sucks and their sandwich is nothing special. A bunch of marketing hype is not going to sustain them.

The hype sure seems to be working, I've heard they're always sold out of the damn sandwich, and when they're NOT sold out, there are lines out the door.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2019 6:12 PM

It’s definitely because of the superior Popeyes chicken sandwich

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2019 6:12 PM

R19, I know we're a fat fuck country. I'm just shocked by people eating this particular junk so often. I have tons of options, which is why I get particularly pissed at NYers eating that shit. They know they have so many options. Why that? And why so often?

How have they become so huge?

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2019 6:16 PM

I’m at Bojangles right now

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2019 6:19 PM

My current mood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2019 6:20 PM

R21,

Can you briefly explain what you mean by that?

sorry I didn't post the link explaining, correctly. Here it is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2019 6:32 PM

HAVEN'T WE BEEN TO THIS RODEO BEFORE ?

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2019 6:50 PM

They also have great milkshakes

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2019 7:00 PM

it's probably because the lease for their first franchise in the UK was not renewed because of the backlash

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2019 7:02 PM

Gay Chik-Fil-A fans are almost always self-loaithing closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2019 7:05 PM

[quote]They're scared shitless of Popeye's, and they realize that to compete they'll have to expand.

I am not a fan of Chick-fil-A but this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Popeye's is not even in the same tier as Chick-fil-A, and that's factoring their recent viral sensation chicken sandwich. Which is already over.

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2019 7:26 PM

[quote] You still shouldn't eat junk food, regardless of their policies.

According to who? The police? The court system? The government? God?

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2019 7:36 PM

"You have a northern pallet" - R15

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2019 7:52 PM

ate their twice, first to check the food out and the second time to confirm my suspicions on the employees.. all i can say is "stepford wives" anyone? ALL the employees were nice! but i'm talking WAAAAY TOO nice to the point of creepy and with their wide eyed stare and doctrine of "my pleasure" every single time they do something for you or if you ask them for something no matter how small of a favor...

it felt like a cult or at the least brainwashed stepford people..

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2019 7:59 PM

A cheerful countenance is their way of thanking the Lord for his chicken-y bounty, r34.

by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2019 8:07 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2019 12:20 AM

And by "bump," R36 means the giant ass stomachs on you fat whores from this shit food.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2019 12:25 AM

So you REALLY think that this change of heart has nothing to do with the hype around the Popeye's sandwich, r31? I have no dog in the fight, as I wouldn't eat at Chick-fil-A, and the Popeye's near me is always packed.

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2019 1:41 AM

The Popeyes near me is practically empty now. Now that the hype is dying down, people realize that their sandwich is not that great. The meat is dry and there is more breading than chicken.

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2019 2:23 AM

For the love of God, it's all shitty food! WTF are you debating? Popeye's/CFA. It's all crap.

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2019 2:29 AM

Great. I’ll go by and try it on Sunday. A national fast food chain with blue laws is just fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2019 2:50 AM

Still won’t eat it. There is better food available, and CFA is still anti-gay no matter how they’re spinning it now.

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2019 2:51 AM

Does anyone know which American organizations track the influence of right wing American money/American churches in third world countries? I’ve heard that a lot of the energy that went into fighting the LGBT movement has now just moved overseas ( kind of like how our tobacco companies advertise to little children there). I know that some of these groups promote laws that allow gays to be prosecuted and executed but having trouble finding more info.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2019 3:31 AM

I have no plans to eat their bigot chicken in the near future, but at least it sounds like them running scared on the donations issue because of the resistance to opening new markets will have the happy side effect of giving the Salvation Army a good swift kick in the wallet. Which I'm all for. Suffering builds character, or so Bible-thumping types tell me.

I tried a Popeye's chicken sandwich the other day and it was pretty good (though I prefer the shrimp po'boy), but people have to be certifiable to get in fistfights over it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2019 3:32 AM

I don't eat meat so I've never had a reason to visit CFA before and won't start now. But transferring their donations to good causes sounds positive, so I'm glad to hear that (whatever their motivation was).

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2019 4:06 AM

Christian Chicken Club, anyone ?

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2019 4:51 AM

I don't believe it - they've said this in the past and they still contributed in other ways.

LIES, I tell you, LIES!

If Popeye's could get their shit together, they could take them down.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2019 4:53 AM

It's because of the UK backlash - trust me, they will find other ways.

But hat's off to England!.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2019 6:08 AM

[quote]But transferring their donations to good causes sounds positive, so I'm glad to hear that (whatever their motivation was).

You seem to miss the part that this clearly isn't coming from a good place, but rather a financial one.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2019 2:51 PM

The problem is that their chicken remains disgusting and overrated. The salads suck too.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2019 3:21 PM

I've never been in one, but I honestly want to try it just once if only to see if it's worth sacrificing your morals. I probably won't like it since I'm not big on fried foods.

For those who have gone to multiple locations, do they taste different depending on location or is it always the same?

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2019 3:25 PM

Popeye's has them shook.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2019 3:53 PM

R51, if you’re not into fried foods, why bother? People who love fried foods love CFA, Popeyes, Bojangles, etc.

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2019 4:05 PM

R49, my post says that I support their new donation policy regardless of their motives. Whether they donate because they want to help the homeless, the hungry, and the uneducated or because they think it will help them compete with Popeye's is irrelevant. I wish everyone were compassionate and charitable (like Christ, for example), but money is money and I wouldn't urge a good cause to refuse a donation even if it may be given by a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2019 7:50 PM

I imagine they will just re-direct and funnel their donations through their franchisees instead.

Their franchisees must have a long standing membership with a church, can't be divorced or have children out of wedlock and so on and so forth. Or so it was about 10 years ago when a co-worker looked into it, I do recall the buy in was low though, less than 10k.

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2019 7:57 PM

R55, you realize there are gay Chick-Fil-A franchisees?

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2019 7:59 PM

R56, No, there aren't. They are very strict about who they give a franchise to and it's only to married people with families who live a Christian lifestyle. It's a Christian cult.

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2019 8:44 PM

Franchise only to married hets? Do you have docs to back up your assertion R57?

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2019 8:50 PM

R57, see the link at R26, citing a Huffington Post article from 2012. Hardly a smoking gun, just food for thought.

by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2019 9:08 PM

I still won't eat at CFA because it's gross, but glad they're changing their donation policy (if they truly are).

[quote] Popeye's is not even in the same tier as Chick-fil-A, and that's factoring their recent viral sensation chicken sandwich.

LOL. Yeah, I'm sure CFA has really elevated greasy fast-food slop to a higher tier than other fast-food shitholes. You must be King of the Fat Whores to even be sitting around considering such distinctions.

by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2019 9:11 PM

Flippity Floppity, Christians are cuntity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2019 9:16 PM

R43 I believe Sleeping Giants tracks that sort of thing.

If CFA has such Bible thumping requirements for having a franchise I will never eat there. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2019 9:18 PM

[quote] LOL. Yeah, I'm sure CFA has really elevated greasy fast-food slop to a higher tier than other fast-food shitholes.

Chick-Fil-A's national sales and locations outpaces Popeyes by a ridiculous number. That's what people mean when they say that they are not a threat. Besides, Chick-Fil-A has healthy options like salads and such. Popeyes does not. Hype won't sustain Popeyes because the sandwich is nothing special AND it's overpriced. Once the novelty of eating that chicken sandwich because it's not "hate chicken" wears off, Popeyes will be back where they started. Maybe even worse off. Chick-Fil-A beat them at their own game.

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2019 9:23 PM

They made this claim before and were caught in a lie. When confronted, they claimed to answer to a higher power and did not need to give anyone else an explanation. They are arrogant, self-important liars. No matter to me, I would never eat there anyway. I got into a tangle on FB with some xtian crazy - I wouldn't ever try to debate with him, only tried to explain I would not have a drop the mic reaction to his "but it's clear in the bible" - anyway, just sick of the whole thing from these people.

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2019 9:36 PM

While this seems like good news, CFA has to be watched carefully as it has lied in the past about this.

There was no acknowledgement that it was wrong, just that this was a business decision.

They will never get a cent from me.

by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2019 9:45 PM

THEY FUCKING LIED, CUNTS! Try to keep up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2019 10:25 PM

[quote][R55], you realize there are gay Chick-Fil-A franchisees?

Cite your source. The inside of your ass doesn't count. The person who countered your bullshit has a source. Your turn.

by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2019 10:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!