Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Expats: What do you like more in your new country than in your homeland?

Companion thread to the “what do you miss about your homeland?” one below.

I’ve never changed countries, but I grew up in the U.S. Deep South and lived in the Upper Midwest for years. I loved the beautiful snowfalls and having four distinct seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 4:22 PM

[quote] and lived in the Upper Midwest for years. I loved the beautiful snowfalls and having four distinct seasons.

I envy you. I've never experienced a proper snowy winter in my life. Never been skiing. Nothing. Actually, tell a lie we used to have proper snow, but not quite like that.

This is my winters >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2019 11:27 PM

R1 London?

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2019 12:00 AM

Doesn't it ever snow in London?

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2019 1:19 AM

Bread. Bread in Germany is so vastly different than bread in the US with far fewer ingredients.

Butter: Again so vastly different and so much flavor and fat (vs. milk solids)

Politics: No Trump

Freedom: we have so much more of it.

Healthcare: No worry if you need it.

Food shopping: There are 3 bio (organic but with higher standards than the US) within walking distance of my house

Public transit: WAY better and more efficient.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2019 8:12 AM

My partner and I recently moved to Sydney from NYC. We moved here expecting the usual aspects of outdoor lifestyle, great food, relaxed atmosphere (is lived here 20 years ago, so knew what to expect), but are both surprised by the quality of cultural activities and kooky underground scene. Overall has been a great change of scene from nyc life. 1 year in, 2 to go, fun so far!!

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2019 8:19 AM

I like the lack of pretension, and that if I smile at someone they will probably smile back.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2019 8:49 AM

American immigrated to the UK from Chicago, been a Londoner the last 23 years. Don’t know that I like the UK anymore for obvious reasons.

What I used to like about it was the cultural sensibility especially in theatre and television. I suppose I still do.

There used to be a greater social discourse here but that’s changed now, especially with Brexit.

The ability to easily travel to a lot of interesting places still exist but I don’t know how much longer I’m going to stay here. I’m considering a more transient lifestyle for the next few years - travelling for work - before settling down someplace else. Not sure where.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2019 8:58 AM

Expats, how exactly does one go about immigrating to a new country? If you can’t seek asylum, what’s the easiest and most reliable way to gain citizenship in another first world country (I’m American and looking to move)?

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2019 10:13 AM

R8, the easiest way in my experience is to work for a global company for a year and keep your eye out for international roles. You can the. Just offer to move yourself. True expat packages are difficult to achieve these days, unless you are very specialized and / or in STEM (I’m not). It takes a fair bit of planning and work, but is worth it in the end.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2019 10:50 AM

[quote]Expats, how exactly does one go about immigrating to a new country?

Depends on the country, you idiot.

[quote]American immigrated to the UK from Chicago, been a Londoner the last 23 years. Don’t know that I like the UK anymore for obvious reasons.

Me too - but we called it England then, we didn't conglomerate four countries. God knows where you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2019 11:25 AM

r4 Germany ... freedom. You can't even shop on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2019 11:43 AM

R5 - what is this kooky underground scene if which you speak? Sounds fun!

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2019 2:03 AM

R7 it’s always a bit of a squirm when taxi drivers talk Brexit.

They invariably voted Leave.

“I remember they old days”, they say.

“Mmmm”, says I, the obvious foreigner!

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2019 2:06 AM

Live in Perth. A large house on the Swan River. I moved here from England 25 years ago when it was still cheap. Had a passport from previous visit as a child (thanks Mum & Dad!). Pros: nice lifestyle, water activities, boats, nice places to picnic and swim. Safe to walk around the river at night. Gorgeous places to drive and show off to visitors.

Strangely, I rarely associate with many Brits here. Generally only other Aussies and acclimatized "former" Brits like myself. I had Gay friends visit me recently from England, they had their biases about the place but were blown away by it and are now ready to move. Only 50% of expats tend to be willing to make it happen long term though.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2019 3:28 AM

There was a surge in popularity of threads of this nature during 2017, but all seems quietened down. I always found it interesting that some people adapt so effortlessly to living in their new adopted homes, and some do not.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2019 11:59 PM

Better transit, much more and better fresh bread.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2019 3:30 PM

[quote]Freedom: we have so much more of it (in Germany).

How...21st century, r4.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2019 3:34 PM

cheap food, housing and whores

mex city

2 bdrm for 300

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2019 4:23 PM

r18 But how much are the whores?

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2019 7:48 PM

The roar of people enjoying each other's company as a narrow street approaches even a small plaza People who are direct and generous (and good looking) People who find time to enjoy good times rather than make excuses not to Feeling completely safe always, nevermind the hour or place The food, everywhere, all the time, and with rare exception delicious Thinking about where to go for dinner at 10pm (and not before) Bars everywhere, always busy, and never anyone drunk (except the occasional tourist) Gorgeous cities, towns, and landscapes that change dramatically in a short distance

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2019 1:20 PM

everything, hores included, is half price.

our 2 bedroom apt in nice part of town is $325/month.

funny how the media doesn't report on the huge volume of americans moving across the border. go south young man!

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2019 2:27 PM

I'm in the Netherlands 6 years now; was in the US. I love it in so many ways:

The sensible healthcare system. We have to buy private cover like Obamacare, but it's €100 a month. Doctors don't overprescribe drugs. Basic medicine is cheap at pharmacies. I can't ever go home to the US system.

Decency in politics. We have some extreme politicians, but by and large our sensible center (left and right) has held. All governments are multiparty coalitions so it's hard to get too extreme one way or another.

Ease of dealing with the government. From tax to immigration to local services, it's professional, easy to navigate, sometimes even friendly. Shocking when you fund and hire good public sector people they do good work.

The quality of the food. Dutch cuisine is a bit heavy and simple, but the quality of milk, cheese, bread, veg, meat in unbelievable. And organic only a little more expensive than regular. Good ethnic cuisines from Indonesian & Thai, Caribbean, African, Mediterranean

The people. Funny, honest, straightfoward. Was nice in the beginning they all spoke English better than us, but I've been learning the language and they are very appreciative when you try. The boys were hot and fun when I was single, but I have a Dutch partner now and his family have been wonderful. Love cheesy singalong pop music and carnivals/fairs/festivals. And before you project, our Muslim communities are pretty well-assimilated and I have nice Turkish, Moroccan, Iranian, and Syrian friends (many of my fellow language students are refugees). It's not perfect but it's not bad either.

Getting around: biking, a fantastic train, metro, and tram system, Schiphol a world-class airport with cheap flights to the Med.

TV: weird and trashy but interesting reality TV, and not just lowbrow but also arty and creative.

Cheap mobile accounts and hi-speed internet. My mobile is €25 a month for unlimited 4G.

Fantastic electronic music scene: everyone comes here, the club events and festivals are insanely fun. Also, easy weed and the occasional party pill.

The main dislikes: weather, dark winters, tourists, lack of good Mexican food, housing costs are rising too fast, not the cheapest shopping but I just stopped buying shit. Goed genoeg voor mij.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2019 2:53 PM

R20 -- I think your keyboard is pregnant. It missed a lot of periods.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2019 2:56 PM

R23. Yikes. Very pregnant indeed. I thought I was doing something better, but isn't that often the case with missed periods?

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2019 4:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!