Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

British tycoon leaves £50 million to the Queen to pay for a new royal yacht

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2019 4:06 AM

UK's richest women not US !

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2019 3:15 AM

We are amused!

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2019 3:25 AM

Fucking shameless. Meanwhile, English teachers are fleeing abroad.

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2019 3:29 AM

What the fuck does that have to do with the Queen, R3?

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2019 3:29 AM

Kudos to him.

Clearly, nothing better could have been done with the money.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2019 3:34 AM

Idiot As long as Meghan Markle doesn’t get her grubby hands on them @R5

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2019 3:42 AM

Do I detect a touch of sarcasm r5??!! 😁😉

by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2019 3:42 AM

Yay! A boat for me! I shall fill it with riches and use it to escape this godforsaken family!

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2019 3:56 AM

Megain can have it if it means getting rid of her

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2019 3:57 AM

May I take the new one to Thailand, Mummy? Please please please. I want to make some young - um - new friends.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2019 4:05 AM

An up yours to Labour and Tony Blair, plus it will need to be constructed in a UK shipyard for political reasons so British jobs. A twofer.

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2019 6:55 AM

What does 50 mill get you nowadays? The last one was fabulous a replacement to be equally fabulous would certainly cost more. Like 120 mil or there abouts

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2019 7:06 AM

She'll be dead before they get it built.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2019 7:11 AM

Shut up, Kate/R13.

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2019 7:15 AM

Good for them. I think it was a mistake to decommission the last one. The United Kingdom has always been a sea-faring nation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2019 7:33 AM

r15 you sound like Hyacinth Bucket; singing 'rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves,' decked out in navy and blue sailor's attire; 'The United Kingdom has always been a sea-faring nation, Elizabeth'

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2019 7:45 AM

In the 80's Paul Burrell was stationed on The Britannia and got himself into trouble having an orgy with other sailors onboard. The Queen pulled him aside and told him to find a nice girl to settle down with.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2019 7:51 AM

R16, No, I recently read that Rule Britannia isn't to be used anymore, because it's considered racist.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2019 7:57 AM

r4 Erm, everything? She could donate that money to the fucking government, who actually needs it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2019 10:26 AM

£50 million for a new royal yacht, but the British taxpayer has to pay for maintenance, crew, harbor dues and transfer costs so the already entitled royal family can take fancy vacations once a year on an otherwise useless boat?

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2019 10:43 AM

The Brits claim the availability of the old yacht befitted the UK to the tune of better than $4billion

Boris Johnson is considering plans to replace Royal Yacht Britannia with two new £150m ships paid for by the foreign aid budget, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Mr Johnson has been in talks with former International Development secretary Penny Mordaunt over plans dubbed "Britannia 2.0" for two new ships to be deployed around the world to help with relief efforts.

The new ships - with one called "Britannia" and the other names the "Florence Nightingale" or "Mary Seacole" - would be made available to members of the royal family for overseas tours to Commonwealth and other countries.

Tory MP Jake Berry, who has been campaigning for a new yacht for months, said the new vessel would act as a “floating trade mission to be used by industry around the globe in the interests of our nation”.

I consent.

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2019 10:57 AM

£50m would pay for about 1/10 of a yacht the size of the old Britannia.

by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2019 10:57 AM

The queen of Denmark still has a royal yacht..

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2019 1:46 PM

R13 What would be the timeframe for building such a ship as I think the Queen could easily live to 2030 given her gin drenched mother lived to 101?

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2019 2:28 PM

Welfare for the rich. How Tory.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2019 2:52 PM

How is a private gift from a private individual "welfare", r25?

Face it. The Queen is simply better-liked than you.

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2019 3:16 PM

Maybe Steve Jobs' widow will sell his yacht.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2019 3:17 PM

What do you get for the woman who has everything?

by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2019 3:21 PM

I eagerly await my invite to the christening.

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2019 3:41 PM

The equivalent of leaving $10 million to your cat

by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2019 4:11 PM

Rofl, R30!

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2019 12:47 AM

I've heard this described as a form of very high-level social climbing, the way the filthy rich ingratiate themselves with the richer, or the titled, or royalty... with the promise of massive bequests.

This came up on an Elton John thread.

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2019 4:44 AM

Yachts depreciate like crazy. She's not used to new and modern. $50 M will easily purchase a massive and very well appointed superyacht that's a few years old. The Queen has rented a yacht several times so for her purposes, she doesn't need one built from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2019 4:49 AM

[quote] I've heard this described as a form of very high-level social climbing, the way the filthy rich ingratiate themselves with the richer, or the titled, or royalty... with the promise of massive bequests.

Haha, sounds like Trump.

Quid pro quo. Pay for play.

No wonder the Queen likes Trump.

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2019 4:55 AM

[quote]No wonder the Queen likes Trump.

Where did you ever get this notion from? Do you also think she liked Nicolae Ceaușescu?

by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2019 5:01 AM

Jobs’ yacht looks like an iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 36November 18, 2019 5:06 AM

The roof was in fact modeled after the original iPad, face down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2019 5:29 AM

She wouldn't suit a superyacht, it'd be too gauche. She's not American. She'd be better off commissioning a small cruise liner.

For example, something along these lines, but brand new.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2019 5:56 AM

The UK’s richest woman? HA! The Windsors have been auctioning off heirlooms left and right, most recently one of dear, departed Diana’s dresses. It looks like they’re hard-up for cash.

by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2019 6:03 AM

I'm guessing she could travel more now, because yachts are more suited to old people travel, than airplanes.

Does the Queen actually travel abroad, any more?

Plus, old people like cruises, more than flying.

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2019 6:04 AM

Why do billionaires spend so much money on superyachts when they hardly have time to use them anyway? I know it's the ultimate status symbol for the super rich, but it still puzzles me that someone would spend hundreds of millions on a boat you only use a couple of weeks a year.

by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2019 6:37 AM

"but it still puzzles me that someone would spend hundreds of millions on a boat you only use a couple of weeks a year."

I think most of them rent their yachts out when they're not using it. Offsets the cost, business tax breaks come into play and so forth. I saw a delightfully tacky refurbished yacht that was done in full blown Studio 54 style. I wish I could remember where I saw it so I could post links.

You know that boat is fully booked during the Cannes film festival,

by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2019 6:50 AM

[quote]The Windsors have been auctioning off heirlooms left and right, most recently one of dear, departed Diana’s dresses

Diana's dresses Windsor family heirlooms? Tee hee.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2019 8:53 AM

Diana's personal possessions would have gone to her sons, or maybe her Spencer relatives, and not the royal family. If anyone's auctioning her stuff, it's not the Queen.

Isn't Harry willing to do anything for a buck these days?

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2019 9:00 AM

Harry was Diana's heir - she knew William was sorted.

by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2019 6:39 PM

R28, I suppose anal bleaching would be in poor taste?

by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2019 11:22 PM

^ I really like jk Rowling’s yacht The “Christina” once owned by Onassis is also beautiful and available to charter

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2019 12:13 AM

Yachts are an insurance policy for the super rich. So they can escape in the event of a violent class war or nuclear disaster or pandemic. Hard to live on a private jet, even short term. And you need an airport.

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2019 12:24 AM

No need to build a new one. The Britannia is fine. There are older yachts in service, again. Just redo it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2019 12:50 AM

r47 JK Rowling never owned the Christina. She did buy Johnny Depp's yacht and sold it for a massive lost after just one year. She lost millions.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2019 2:57 AM

There should have been a period @R50

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2019 4:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!