Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Outstanding Set Design

Theater and Films. Any favorites that should be recalled? I was watching A Star is Born. Judy's house on the beach. Loved the interior design. So Moderne for '53.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2019 7:08 PM

Nicholas & Alexandra, 1971. Sumptuous. Won the Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2019 12:17 AM

Sorry^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2019 12:19 AM

THE LADIES MAN starring Jerry Lewis (1961)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2019 12:26 AM

Wait a damn minute! Are there a bunch of homosexuals on this website? Cuz suddenly I'm thinking there's a whole bunch of homosexuals here.

No one on Reddit posts about stuff like this.

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2019 12:28 AM

Brian Keith's adobe ranch mansion in "The Parent Trap".

It's sublime for 1961, or any year!

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2019 1:39 AM

Suspiria

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2019 2:50 AM

Suspiria...Yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2019 8:42 AM

Auntie Mame (duh! LOL):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2019 8:46 AM

And Kubrick's 2001 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2019 8:51 AM

The beach house used in Gracie and Frankie

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2019 8:58 AM

The great Gatsby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2019 12:03 PM

The Great Gatsby

Tricks of the Trade

Magical...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2019 12:07 PM

Sid Luft had a clause in his producing contract for A Star Is Born where he and Judy could take anything from the set that the studio didn't want for something like 10% of the original cost. He saw to it that the beach house set was decorated beautifully. When the film was over, Warners didn't want the furniture, so he took the lot and furnished their fancy house in Holmby Hills with it.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2019 1:03 PM

Barry Lyndon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2019 1:14 PM

one more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2019 1:15 PM

The shabby-luscious interiors of Jojo's house in "Jojo Rabbit." Which Architectural Digest says are Victorian-Art Deco but look Jugenstil to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2019 1:25 PM

R9 I remember being a kid and catching the scene between the father and his daughter on a telephone with a camera. I thought it was so futuristic, maybe something only people in 200 years would have.

Turns out we have better phones today.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2019 1:31 PM

- That beautiful beachside house in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2019 2:33 PM

Victor Victoria

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2019 2:52 PM

The incomparable Ken Adams (who won an Oscar for Barry Lyndon, mentioned above) and his iconic war room from Dr. Strangelove:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2019 2:59 PM

Derek Jarman's startling reimagining of Loudon for The Devils.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2019 3:09 PM

Rear Window

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2019 3:54 PM

A Place in the Sun

Mildred Pierce

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2019 3:58 PM

THE HANDMAID'S TALE is a dark dystopian future world...

But I kind of want to live there. And move into the Waterman's house.

(Okay, not Offred's room.)

Seriously, it's some of the best production design in movies or TV right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2019 4:01 PM

Waterford's house, not Waterman's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2019 4:04 PM

For some reason I loved the Freelings house in Poltergeist!

Also-

The sumptuous homes in Leave Her To Heaven (unreal)

And that house in Christmas In Connecticut is where I would want to live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2019 4:09 PM

Coppola's One From The Heart. Gorgeous design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2019 5:17 PM

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. (Just realized this has been turned into a play while doing a search for Pepa's apartment set.)

I also LOVE the montage opening credits for this movie. I knew I would love the movie before it even started, just based on the montage, her red telephone, the relationships carried out over answeing machine messages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2019 10:45 PM

We take it for granted now, but "Star Wars"!! ("A New Hope")

Before that sci-fi films all had a similar cheap, cheesy, modernistic/futuristic look, but "Star Wars" had a totally revolutionary and believable look - and on the same low budget as any of its cheesy predecessors! From the earthen architecture and broken-down tech of Tattooine, to the expensive futurism of the Imperial Fleet, to the shoestring military of the Rebellion... it was the best kind of set design. You looking at those worlds and their available resources told you everything you needed to know about the characters who lived there, and it all looked REAL. It looked like people actually lived and worked there and lived in the sets and used the props every day, which was a first for the sci-fi/fantasy genre.

I've praised the costumes equally highly elsewhere, BTW, same deal.

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2019 11:11 PM

Bette Davis’ loft space in “ Deception” (1946). Located on the top floor of a downtown office building. Take the freight elevator, located off the shopping arcade in the building’s first floor. Exit the landing cluttered with boxes and packing crates. Take the concrete stairs to the unassuming entrance door. Open to an amazing space with the appropriate mix of antiques and modern furniture and a wall of windows with a city and river view. Very modern. Exquisite. You could move in today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2019 11:20 PM

^ Fantastic site!

by Anonymousreply 31November 17, 2019 11:28 PM

"Desk Set."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2019 1:32 AM

I love the house in Lana Del Rey's White Mustang video. Looks like a Frank Lloyd Wright home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2019 1:44 AM

North by Northwest house

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2019 3:12 AM

As a child I wanted to live in Mary Tyler Moore's first apartment. I LOVED the little step up area with the shag carpet. I hated her second apartment even though it had a bedroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2019 3:21 AM

Loved The Home Alone totally 80's house, especially the kitchen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 18, 2019 3:28 AM

The "Something's Gotta Give" Beach house was to die for!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2019 3:34 AM

Topsy Turvy, the Mike Leigh film about Gilbert & Sullivan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2019 5:01 AM

I second "Desk Set", especially the executive suite.

"How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" is Mad Men on mushrooms.

"Smother" starring Diane Keaton, Dax Shepard and Liv Tyler. Diane is Dax's mother. She lives in a textbook 1970s MCM house that hasn't been touched and Dax and Liv live in the picture perfect Craftsman bungalow with amazing woodwork, 1950s kitchen and what I now know is called a "clawfoot shower". There aren't any good set photos online.

"The Kennedys: After Camelot" recreated every minute detail of Jackie's apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2019 5:22 AM

Omar Sharif on the Moscow street set built in Spain for Doctor Zhivago (1965); John Box (production designer), Terence Marsh (art director), and Dario Simoni (set decorator) won the Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2019 5:04 PM

The famous "ice palace" in Doctor Zhivago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2019 5:04 PM

Broadway Melody of 1936

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2019 5:23 PM

The Gang's All Here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2019 5:28 PM

Jacques Tati's mind-blowing construction of an entire city set, for PLAYTIME.

Via Wikipedia:

"The film is famous for its enormous, specially constructed set and background stage, known as 'Tativille', which contributed significantly to the film's large budget, said to be 17 million francs. The set required a hundred construction workers to construct along with its own power plant. Budget crises and other disasters stretched the shooting schedule to three years, including 1.4 million francs in repairs after the set was damaged by storms.[1] Tati observed, correctly, that the cost of building the set was no greater than what it would have cost to have hired Elizabeth Taylor or Sophia Loren for the leading role.[1] Budget overruns forced Tati to take out large loans and personal overdrafts to cover ever-increasing production costs.

To save money, some of the building facades and the interior of the Orly set were actually giant photographs. (The photographs also had the advantage of not reflecting the camera or lights.) The Paris landmarks Barbara sees reflected in the glass door are also photographs. Tati also used life-sized cutout photographs of people to save money on extras. These cutouts are noticeable in some of the cubicles when Hulot overlooks the maze of offices, and in the deep background in some of the shots at ground level from one office building to another."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2019 12:42 PM

Tony Sopranos kitchen...so 1990s!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2019 1:28 PM

"The 10,000 Fingers of Dr. T."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2019 3:25 PM

Regardless of what you may think of the movie, the Titanic set was spectacular:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2019 4:00 PM

I loved Gertrude Stein's apartment set in Midnight in Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2019 7:34 PM

1990s Casper movie. Whipstaff Manor in Maine.

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2019 12:21 AM

Lost Horizon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2019 3:06 AM

The Ice Palac in Dr Zhivago was fabulous. Unrealistic....but fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2019 4:18 AM

I’ve seen it used in many other movies, but the hall and stair featured in “Nanny McFee “ knocks me into flaminess. Yeah, I’d live in that universe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2019 5:04 AM

As mentioned by a poster, the sets from Leave Her to Heaven were incredible. Here's an article with great shots of all the sets. My fave is the southwestern one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2019 4:24 PM

Jacques Demy’s The Umbrellas of Cherbourg owns this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2019 12:57 AM

The grandma's apartment(s) in Fanny and Alexander were exquisite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2019 7:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!