Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s Discuss Our Favorite ‘Inside The Actors Studio” Episode, & Why.

I love this one with Bobby DeNiro. 👇🏼

Why?

Because though Bobby isn’t an easy interviewee, comes off as guarded, and isn’t a fan of verbal flourish, you understand his values and professional work ethic, almost immediately.

Bobby’s an old school kinda dude, and he’s also self aware enough to stay humble and integrate what he’s learned from others, in order to be a servant to the craft, so to speak. He takes himself seriously, but in ways that truly count. I like that.

I also love that Bobby’s not a name dropper in the way a name dropper usually is. The people he worked with were logistically around at the time, and he worked with them for opportunity to work for them, not on them, in ways that cheesy, overrated and usually limited in talent actors tend to do. Bobby doesn’t really have that story to tell about this or that. Scorsese, Keitel, Adler, Strasberg, et al, were part of the process and experience for improving and serving for the greater good of the final work.

DeNiro would have been this way, had he never gone into acting. Had he been a carpenter, a janitor, or an actual taxi driver, Bobby would have probably approached these jobs in a similar manner.

Summing it up, an honorable man, who acts for a living. A working class guy, but in film.

Also, some background trivia: Did you guys know that he came from a family of artists, as in painters? Google his mom and dad. They were actual, working, very talented, artists, and Peggy Guggenheim purchased one of his mom’s pieces which was featured in either the Guggenheim and/or the MoMA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2019 4:48 AM

Papa De Niro’s work:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2019 12:21 PM

The one with a hungry Bradley in the audience, ready and willing to get down on all fours for Sean Penn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2019 12:33 PM

"In September 2018, Lipton declared that he was stepping down from the program after 23 seasons. In 2019, the show will begin to be hosted by different celebrities."

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2019 12:33 PM

R3, respect for James Lipton. He did that show for decades, and wasn’t an asshole, either.

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2019 12:59 PM

Remember he got so defensive when Barbra said she didn't know he was a singer? Hilarity ensued.

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2019 2:01 PM

R3 - Wait, the show was still going on??? I haven't seen a new episode in years.

My favorite episodes: Spike Lee, Dave Chappelle

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2019 2:22 PM

R6, oh damn! I forgot the Dave Chappelle one. Loved that one, YES!

Leaving DL to rewatch that one, actually.

Here ‘tis, for those who want to rewatch too, or haven’t yet seen it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2019 2:28 PM

The one I remember was the Hugh Laurie episode because he spoke quite candidly about how emotionally withdrawn his parents were, especially his mother who sounded like she was one cold woman.

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2019 5:03 PM

Least favorite is Russell Crowe acting like a petulant twat inexplicably affronted by Lipton's questions. Either agree to do the interview or don't, arsehole. My gawd how full of himself he was. You'd think he could pull his head out of his ass long enough to give the young actors in the audience some helpful advice and encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2019 12:42 AM

His father, Robert de Niro, Sr., was a serious painter who had a very good career. He divorced Jr.'s mother after a year when he came out as gay just after Jr. was born. Not an easy thing to do in 1943. Jr, was very close to is father until his death.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2019 2:04 AM

R9, LMAO. Perfect description of Crowe: a petulant twat!

WTF is wrong w/ him? Look, he gets to get up & choose whatever the fuck he wants to do, because he’s actually genuinely talented, and therefore, has succeeded in in all ways that matter within the industry, which is probably harder to do, than becoming a fucking astronaut.

The students are there for a very specific reason, and the fact that they get to see, hear, & Q & A with a working, talented actor, is a plus. Be a solid dude, and give them that experience. Not too much to ask, to put aside your hangover & give the kids what they came for.

R10, interesting. Hadn’t known that Sr. came out in 1943. Love that. Well, I, for one, am immensely grateful that he managed to assist in the creation of his son. I appreciate the fuck out of Jr.’s work, so “Thank you, Mr. De Niro, Sr. And thanks for following your truth, which created a path for some great art for us to also appreciate, and hopefully created a good and fulfilling life for you, & your loved ones”.

Gawd, I’m such a geek. I know.

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2019 4:23 PM

" In 2019, the show will begin to be hosted by different celebrities."

Yeah, I'm sure "different celebrities' will be such informed, intelligent, thoughtful hosts. HAH! Celebrities tend to be, by and large, idiots. With "different celebrities" hosting the show will be nothing but a shmoozefest. Nothing but major ass kissing.

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2019 4:28 PM

Well, R12, they could always hire another idiot who has a history of showing up for the job, at the very least.

I hear Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose have open schedules.

You know who I’d like to see carry that gig? Ronan Farrow. He’d be perfect, & better at it than most.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2019 4:33 PM

The host should be articulate and knowledgeable about movies and actors and good at dealing with people. That's a tall order. I don't think Ronan Farrow would fit the bill. I don't think he knows anything about acting or movies and his probing interviewing technique during the interview would probably making the shallow celebrity uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2019 4:47 PM

The earlier episodes were great. It was really focused more on the actual studio. People like Eli Wallach and Anne Jackson, Shelley Winters giving wonderful insightful interviews. Sally Field also had an early one that was quite good. They focused on particular scenes of a movie and the motivation that went behind them. The best episodes are the ones with the actors who are truly passionate and knowledgeable about their craft.

Then somewhere along the way it became more about which A list celeb they could snag to talk about their string of mediocre flicks. And then episodes that made zero sense like Billy Joel and the cast of Modern Family? WTF?

They should let it be at this point.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2019 5:00 PM

Robert De Niro sr was beautiful

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2019 5:05 PM

Lipton was well-prepared, but could not go outside of what was on his cards. Jack Lemmon dropped a bomb in the middle of an interview, and told Lipton that he (Lemmon) was an alcoholic. Lipton paused briefly but stuck with his cards.

It may have been known that Lemmon was an alcoholic, but Lemmon was giving Lipton an invitation to delve into it and Lipton could not roll with the punches.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2019 5:09 PM

I remember that one, R17.

I was actually somewhat impressed by Lipton’s discipline. That would have likely turned into a trip down a rabbit hole not compatible with regular, scheduled, programming, especially since the odds that Lemmon was already tossed, & that Lipton knew that, were pretty damn good.

R15, the earlier episodes are TREASURES, no question.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2019 5:23 PM

Agree with R15. The classic actor interviews were excellent. Remember, it was being done for the Actors Studio so students learning the craft formally could benefit. We were lucky enough to get the benefit of these interviews, where people were more open. By the time they got to the dregs, I stopped watching. I'm surprised Lipton lasted as long as he did, because the guests didn't contribute much after awhile and were pretty much a waste of everyone's time..

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2019 5:25 PM

Brad Pitt. He told funny stories and oozed Midwestern charm, unlike James Lipton, and that caused me to realize that being a successful actor has much to do with intelligence and personality as well as good looks.

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2019 5:33 PM

I remember Stallone being on, and being like WTF? With that shit filmography? Never watched the episode, but I can't fathom what they were going to talk about aside from a very small handful of decent movies. That was what killed the show, it became more about the celebrity and less about the acting itself. And good grief, some of those choices were pure SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2019 5:38 PM

R15, yeah, very true. Pitt isn’t the dumb dude everyone think he is. I don’t know why this persona or narrative of his has prevailed. He, much like DeNiro, come to think of it, suits up & shows up for the job, and then some. All good qualities, no matter what industry, however, especially prized in an industry rife with petulant twats.

Here’s another gem, guys. Man, this human being was probably just too spectacular and impossible for this, here. I am so sorry that he lived with so much pain, & at the very least, that pain is no longer felt by him. Hope his family’s better, now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2019 5:42 PM

"It may have been known that Lemmon was an alcoholic, but Lemmon was giving Lipton an invitation to delve into it and Lipton could not roll with the punches"

I didn't get the impression that Jack Lemmon wanted Lipton to "delve" into his alcoholism. It was just a very honest statement from Lemmon. I don't think he wanted Lipton to grill him on it. Lipton looked shocked but did not pursue the matter, which was the right thing to do. I think he handled the situation very well.

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2019 10:24 PM

Lipton seems incapable of improvising. He might have acknowledged it briefly for the sake of the kids in the audience. A question like, "What's one word of advice you'd give people struggling with with addiction issues?" And then move on.

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2019 11:13 PM

I saw the Russell Crowe episode and by no means did he behave like a "petulant twat." I thought he was very well mannered and the interview went well. In my opinion The Petulant Twat Award should have gone to Debra Winger. Lipton asked her something (it was not an untoward question, as I recall) and she came back with "I refuse to answer that question." I can't remember what he said to that, but he didn't just say "ok" and move on. He snapped back at her, I think. Anyway, she came across the the difficult cunt she's always been said to be.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2019 11:36 PM

Jane Fonda was great. That was the kind of actor they should have kept up with - people who'd actually worked with Lee Strasberg.

I don't need to hear how stars like Salma Hayek and Sarah Jessica Parker approach their "craft".

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2019 11:43 PM

Crowe kept his head down, rarely looked at Lipton and mumbled his responses, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2019 11:58 PM

What was the question Debra Winger refused to answer? I have not seen her episode but would like to.

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2019 10:22 AM

I appreciated the interview with Sondheim, and thought JL sharply well-prepared, as indeed he needed to be. Saw and enjoyed the episode with Mike Nichols, would like to again, but it seems not to be available.

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2019 11:04 AM

"What was the question Debra Winger refused to answer?"

I don't think it was a personal question. I think it had something to do with one of her movies. Anyway, she was really rude to Lipton and it obviously ticked him off.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2019 8:48 PM

It's possible he asked her about a rumoured feud and she didn't think it was the appropriate forum to address it.

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2019 1:36 AM

Don't make excuses for Debra Winger. She acted like a bitch, a not unusual thing for her to do.

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2019 3:12 AM

The one with Liza was pretty revealing. Apparently she got her drive from her mother, but she got her DREAMS from her father.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2019 3:21 AM

I remember the John Goodman episode from maybe 2006 or 2007, right before he quit drinking and lost a ton of weight. He looked like absolute shit, all clammy and fat and sweaty and lethargic. I thought he was gonna fall right out of his chair, he looked so awful.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2019 4:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!