Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Little Women” (2019) is absolutely beautiful! A wonderful film.

Go see it when it comes out! It’s very good, the acting is great (although I felt Laura Dern was at her weakest here) Timmy is phenomenal in this! I can see an Oscar nod for him in this.

Meryl has a small role but it stands out. I wouldn’t be shocked if she got a nom for this also.

Great film. Very well done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402April 11, 2021 8:07 PM

If Timmy doesn’t win I’m going to set myself on fire.

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2019 12:10 AM

I'm tired of looking at women. None of them are fabulous these days. Give me Matt's ass any day.

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2019 12:12 AM

He was my favorite part of the movie r1. He’s wonderful and at his most charming and charismatic in this.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2019 12:12 AM

the sisters aren't diverse so I absolutely will NOT SEE THIS

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2019 12:12 AM

This turkey could soon outdo the annual revival of Gypsy for next.

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2019 12:13 AM

It comes out next month. I went to an early screening

by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2019 12:15 AM

I can't help it; I love this book. Most of the adaptations are good because there's a lot of story, and a lot of real emotion - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2019 12:21 AM

My mother taught American Literature and at almost 40, I still have not read this book. The movie looks divine, so I am trying to make-up for my misspent adolescence by reading the book. The self-proclaimed Victorianists I know are all in vapours over yet *another* adaptation that is still not good enough. I'm so glad to hear from someone who has seen it!

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2019 12:25 AM

Which one is the trans?

by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2019 12:28 AM

I want an all star version...

Ellen de Generes as Jo

Meghan Duchess of Sussex as Meg

Lindsay Lohan as Beth

Madonna as Amy

Hillary Clinton as Marmee

and Senatrice Lindsay Graham as Aunt March

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2019 12:33 AM

Does Timotee get hos cocklet out?

by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2019 12:38 AM

R11, yes. He’s shaved, cut, and 4 inches. Good thing he’s a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2019 12:39 AM

Who cares about Timmy? The lovely James Norton is in it!

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2019 12:44 AM

[quote]R8 My mother taught American Literature and at almost 40, I still have not read this book. The movie looks divine, so I am trying to make-up for my misspent adolescence by reading the book.

You HAVE to report back! It will be interesting to hear an adult perspective - most people who have an attachment to the book made it in adolescence, when they identified with the characters.

Some of the book is a little sickly sweet - but that's what sold back then. Alcott's heart wasn't in those more moralizing moments - she was writing in a specific genre. Until then, she'd written "sensation" stories and melodrama that was published a lot, but didn't make her rich. So she rolled up her sleeves and was like, "Well, here goes..."

In all probability, Alcott was a repressed lesbian, which makes her family. [italic]("I am more than half-persuaded that I am a man's soul put by some freak of nature into a woman's body. … because I have fallen in love with so many pretty girls and never once the least bit with any man.”)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2019 12:45 AM

Looks like a hallmark tv movie to me.

Why do they keep remaking this movie.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2019 12:47 AM

[quote]r8 The movie looks divine, so I am trying to make-up for my misspent adolescence by reading the book.

You also have to make sure you're reading the complete work. I was originally published as two separate books. Now they're usually combined as one, but you should double check that the version you get has two distinct parts.

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2019 12:49 AM

[quote]r15 Why do they keep remaking this movie?

Because it always makes money.

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2019 12:50 AM

I was going to ask about Laura Dern-I adore her! I'm seeing her Saturday in Santa Monica at a Blue Velvet/Wild at Heart double feature where she'll be discussing the films. Why didn't you like Laura? Also, does the film feel like a Greta Gerwig (Noah Baumbach) film? I'm really excited for this one.

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2019 12:51 AM

The music for the Winona Ryder version is so beautiful. It's going to be hard to beat that version, but I'll go to this one with an open mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2019 12:54 AM

Looks dingy. The 1994 remake was bursting with vibrant colors. This has all the warmth of a basement.

Meryl's ACTING again, as usual. Another "Great Lady of Acting" performance so she can get her requisite Oscar nomination. Why don't they just give her a permanent slot at this point?

Besides, they just remade this last year. And can anyone touch Noni Ryder's performance? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2019 12:54 AM

“Austin Wilde” is absolutely beautiful! A wonderful dildo. Buy it when you see it! It’s very good, the acting is great (although I felt Laura Dern was at her weakest here) Timmy is phenomenal in this! I can see an Oscar nod for him in this. Meryl has a small role but it stands out. I wouldn’t be shocked if she got a nom for this also. Great dildo. Very well done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2019 12:57 AM

Alcott was totally a dyke vagina eater, this should have been included

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2019 1:04 AM

And you know Meryl would munch some carpet if she knew she was getting a fourth trophy!

Shit, she'd roll naked through Jello for that!

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2019 1:07 AM

Alcott did have "cane face" to the max, as we say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2019 1:13 AM

^ Kirsten Stewart should play her, the resemblance is harrowing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2019 1:20 AM

I never watched the Winona Ryder movie

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2019 1:48 AM

[quote] Timmy is phenomenal in this! I can see an Oscar nod for him in this.

[quote] Meryl has a small role but it stands out. I wouldn’t be shocked if she got a nom for this also.

Don't even [bold]try[/bold] to pretend you're not Lynn Stairmaster, OP.

We easily recognize your style.

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote]r26 I never watched the Winona Ryder movie

[italic]SACRILEGE ! ! ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2019 1:56 AM

Ryder has such a weird way of speaking.

by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2019 1:59 AM

How many vesions of this are there?

Wasn't there two-part version on PBS less than a year ago?

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2019 2:01 AM

Very sad that Meryl is now reduced to playing one of Mary Wickes' old roles. What's next a remake of Sister Act?

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2019 2:03 AM

[quote]I really like the above one with Ryder.

It's such a tearjerker. The cast is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 32November 15, 2019 2:03 AM

[quote]r31 Very sad that Meryl is now reduced to playing one of Mary Wickes' old roles.

Considering she was probably paid a fortune for a few days work, it's not all that tragic.

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2019 2:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2019 2:54 AM

Will Saoirse Ronan FINALLY get her Oscar? She's becoming the new generation's Meryl - 3 Oscar nominations so far and no win (yet). Will this be her 4th nomination without a win?

Also, I'm curious how Ronan (of Irish heritage, family still lives in Ireland) felt about playing in Alcott's adaptation. Because Alcott [italic]despised[/italic] Irish immigrant females and basically called them a 'lower race'. She advised "fellow good American ladies" to never employ Irish immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 35November 15, 2019 3:16 AM

R35 that was the majority of Americans back then. The Irish were seen as a lower race. Italians seen as even lower than them.

by Anonymousreply 36November 15, 2019 3:21 AM

Alcott went FAR further than the "majority of American" women, R36. She actively and publicly advocated for this position (penning "No Irish Need Apply" columns) in newspapers - trying to convince other American women to follow her example (firing Irish workers). Alcott was speaking from personal experience (she wasn't impressed with the Irish servant-girls she hired and then fired) but she extrapolated it to a whole ethnicity. Alcott was simply dense (despite her literary reputation). She had inductive reasoning - making broad generalisations from specific, one-off observations: if one Irish servant-girl was feckless in her duties - then ALL Irish servant-females 'must' be feckless as well.

by Anonymousreply 37November 15, 2019 3:40 AM

I have never seen any of the film adaptations, plays or read the book... nor have I wanted to, until I saw this trailer.

This looks absolutely wonderful, and I love this cast. I love Ronan (she should have been the winner for Brooklyn, not Brie Larson) and Chalamet (he was also who I wanted to win for CMBYN), as well as Emma Watson, Meryl and Laura Dern.

My friend saw a screening in LA a few weeks ago and said its absolutely wonderful, and he thinks Ronan is getting nominated for sure, and that Timmy should, and Meryl has a chance, despite the lack of screen time.

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2019 3:58 AM

R38 ...Jessica Christ, your fingers are dripping vagina

by Anonymousreply 39November 15, 2019 4:02 AM

^^ I'm a gay male, and I love [italic]Little Women.[/italic] I grew up loving dolls, and books for girls. I identified with those much more than toy fire trucks, little league, etc. Plus the book's about the intricate relationships between sisters, and I have a sister who's still my best friend.

So don't be mean and think someone's a "frau" just because they like the book, or the movies.

by Anonymousreply 40November 15, 2019 4:13 AM

Pity that M has been reduced to small supporting roles.

by Anonymousreply 41November 15, 2019 4:26 AM

To be fair, I believe G [italic]was [/italic] offered the role of Laurie's grandfather, which is a slightly larger role.

by Anonymousreply 42November 15, 2019 4:30 AM

Oh, is that person still speaking about me getting Supporting roles? Sweetie, I earn millions for small roles while you aren’t offered ANY roles.

Hope you enjoy watching me at the Oscars from home, dear.

by Anonymousreply 43November 15, 2019 4:34 AM

Is a PR shill pimping the big year-end movie releases on DL with absolutely wonderful reviews?

by Anonymousreply 44November 15, 2019 4:39 AM

That cunt Greta Gerwig should get an original idea instead of making 14th adaptation of an ancient book.

by Anonymousreply 45November 15, 2019 4:47 AM

This is the same story but it feels more modern. Gerwig made the women less just women of their time but more women of their time that realize they’re worth more despite being women.

by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2019 4:49 AM

I can't imagine it better than the Winona Ryder version, now twenty-five years old, which is superb.

by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2019 5:12 AM

I have a bit of Little Women fatigue. This is the 3rd or 4th adaptation in the last 4 years. I can understand redoing classics but holy FUCK!

They really should've lightened Emma's hair to her Hermione color because she looks like she was left on the doorstep, while the other three could conceivably be sisters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2019 8:39 AM

And I'm team 1949 version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2019 8:41 AM

Imagine thinking THIS was a good idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2019 8:45 AM

I see the publicists are getting an early start on this one!!!

(Especially since I don't think it's had any public/sneak screenings at all...if you saw it, you must be industry.)

by Anonymousreply 51November 15, 2019 9:26 AM

R48, I thought the one with short hair was Timmy. So mannish.

by Anonymousreply 52November 15, 2019 10:26 AM

Timmy is playing Christian Bale? He seems way too young for that.

by Anonymousreply 53November 15, 2019 10:50 AM

The one done last year was pretty awfully miscast. I disliked it, and I loved the story. The actress who played Amy came across as wooden and heartless.

The Winona Ryder version is perfect.

There’s a family housekeeper in the book, Hannah, who’s devoted to the family and a second mother to the girls. I always thought she was Irish. She’s an older woman, possibly a widow.

The reason people still read this story, is because it’s about something 95% of DLers have never had: a close, loving family. The girls are very close to each other and both parents. They’re described as “poor,” but that’s in comparison to their former life, before Alcott’s real life dad pissed away all the family money. He sounds like an obnoxious idiot, and Alcott worshipped him, and I have no idea why. He just made their lives harder. They were better off when he was away at the war.

I re-read it as an adult in my twenties. There’s a lot of proselytizing, not just about Christianity (at least it’s the Pete Buttigieg kind, not the Trump kind), but even more preaching about how a woman’s place is to be an uncomplaining slave to her family. One girl is praised for having burn marks and callouses from cooking and housework, the artistic one is told housework is superior to painting. Essentially she’s told her artwork is selfish and self centered, and she should devote herself to housework like the other one. All this is whitewashed out of all the movie versions, even going back to the 1940s.

The book is meant to be a companion to a popular book of the day, Pilgrim’s Progress, a Christian book for little kids. A lot of the early chapters follow conceits from Pilgrim’s Progress, the sisters are reading it together and comparing their own lives to it. All this is never discussed in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 54November 15, 2019 10:56 AM

[quote]but even more preaching about how a woman’s place is to be an uncomplaining slave to her family. One girl is praised for having burn marks and callouses from cooking and housework, the artistic one is told housework is superior to painting. Essentially she’s told her artwork is selfish and self centered, and she should devote herself to housework

But this is the exact OPPOSITE of what the trailer just showed. Saoise goes into a monologue about how women are much more than that, that they have brains and ambition and worth outside of home.

by Anonymousreply 55November 15, 2019 11:01 AM

R51, there have been advanced screenings. People have posted their reactions on Twitter and Letterboxd- all enthusiastic.

Florence Pugh is noted as the standout.

by Anonymousreply 56November 15, 2019 11:35 AM

I liked the musical with little Dolly Parton, Kristin Chenoweth, Lady Gaga and Paul Simon.

by Anonymousreply 57November 15, 2019 11:41 AM

Is it some rule in Hollywood that every decade or so we have to have another remake of this?

by Anonymousreply 58November 15, 2019 11:59 AM

I loved the Winona Ryder version, but this is potentially an interesting adaptation with some interesting actresses and director. I’m not at all in the Calumet camp, and couldn’t care less about him, and am very worried he’ll ruin the experience.

by Anonymousreply 59November 15, 2019 12:21 PM

So Timmy may get "an Oscar nod." And Meryl may get "a nom." No human being writes this way, OP, except a Hollywood hack.

by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2019 12:52 PM

[quote]No human being writes this way, OP, except a Hollywood hack or a DL queen who once dreamed of his name appearing before the word "starrer" in Variety and THR.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2019 12:59 PM

[quote] Give me Matt's ass any day.

Here you go...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 15, 2019 1:13 PM

Ronan is lovely in this.

by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2019 1:41 PM

For a second I thought this meant Ronan Farrow - -

by Anonymousreply 64November 15, 2019 2:08 PM

How are they classified as poor, when they have a lovely sizable home. It may look faded from its previous glory, but it's still a very nice upscale home they have.

Where did their $$ come from, and what was it blown on?

by Anonymousreply 65November 15, 2019 2:21 PM

I really enjoy the M-G play on these threads. Its funny as hell.

by Anonymousreply 66November 15, 2019 2:22 PM

[quote]r65 How are they classified as poor, when they have a lovely sizable home. It may look faded from its previous glory, but it's still a very nice upscale home they have. Where did their $$ come from, and what was it blown on?

From what I recall, Jo and Meg are old enought to remember when their household had more money. They've more "fallen on hard times" than being genuinely poverty striken as we'd think of it today. Both the older girls have to work. The mother came from a wealthy family, so might have a small trust or inheritance that's eeked out. And there would be resources from that side of the family in a true emergency.

Alcott's father was an autocratic/dictatorial philosopher who tried running experimental schools, vegetarian communes, etc. so the March father probably wasted money on noble schemes like that. I think the fictional Mr. March also lent money to friends who didn't repay him (?) or bailed friends out of debt.

by Anonymousreply 67November 15, 2019 3:08 PM

I've had sufficient on Little Women remakes. Same goes with any Jane Austen work.

Not sure why they felt they had to dust this one off again.

by Anonymousreply 68November 15, 2019 3:12 PM

R67 Wouldn't aunt march be there to help keep the family afloat financially? She seems genuinely wealthy to me.

by Anonymousreply 69November 15, 2019 3:16 PM

The rights are in the public domain and there are no special effects. So they're relatively cheap to do.

by Anonymousreply 70November 15, 2019 3:17 PM

^^ for r68

by Anonymousreply 71November 15, 2019 3:17 PM

Isn't there another little women from the 1930s with kathrine hepburn in it too?

by Anonymousreply 72November 15, 2019 3:17 PM

[quote]r69 Wouldn't aunt march be there to help keep the family afloat financially? She seems genuinely wealthy to me.

Aunt March is a dried up, old fashioned snob that no one likes. She cut off the mom when she married beneath her, socially, and does the same to Meg. (Oh, sorry for no SPOILER ALERT re: that riveting plot twist.)

The old crab would send a doctor in an emergency, but with her there's no free lunch.

by Anonymousreply 73November 15, 2019 3:22 PM

[quote]r72 Isn't there another little women from the 1930s with kathrine hepburn in it too?

Yes. Hepburn is perfectly cast, but it's so old fashioned I've never wanted to watch it. The story's sentimental enough without weighing it down further with a 1930s sensibility.

One thing that's interesting about that production, though, is they copied one of Jo's costumes from a photo of Hepburn's grandmother. I've always wondered which one it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2019 3:30 PM

R68 it hasn't even been long enough for dust to settle on the story

by Anonymousreply 75November 15, 2019 3:32 PM

I never liked who was cast as older Amy in the 1994 version. She was pretty but lacked any presence. She felt very background, complete opposite of Kirsten Dunst who naturally had a large presence.

by Anonymousreply 76November 15, 2019 4:20 PM

[quote] One girl is praised for having burn marks and callouses from cooking and housework, the artistic one is told housework is superior to painting. Essentially she’s told her artwork is selfish and self centered, and she should devote herself to housework like the other one.

Interesting. But it's actually logical in the context of the story. The March family has fallen on hard times - they're not quite impoverished, but slowly getting there. They're a struggling family with 4 kids (4 mouths) to feed. In that situation, any teenage kid (male or female) is expected to help out the family and do dependable "labor", instead of artsy-farsty "painting", especially in the mid-19th C. Kids back then were expected to take care of their parents. The chances of making a good, livable income doing "artwork" was astronomically low (even for males). Statistically, many "artists" lived hand-to-mouth (even great ones like Van Gogh, who lived off his brother's charity). So of course parents would rather their kid do something dependably useful and practical (like chores) instead of 'la-dee-da' arts.

by Anonymousreply 77November 15, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote]R76 I never liked who was cast as older Amy in the 1994 version.

The role was probably not of interest to more substantial actresses, as it comprises of just a few scenes.

by Anonymousreply 78November 15, 2019 4:52 PM

Alicia Silverstone was considered for Beth, but they felt she looked “too old” for what they envisioned.

by Anonymousreply 79November 15, 2019 5:11 PM

Has anyone seen “Little Men”? I didn’t know it existed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 15, 2019 5:40 PM

The 1994 version was good enough. Did they really need another one?

by Anonymousreply 81November 15, 2019 5:41 PM

They’ve done another or two since

by Anonymousreply 82November 15, 2019 5:44 PM

I'm good, thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 15, 2019 5:52 PM

[quote]Not sure why they felt they had to dust this one off again.

Oh, I am. If only they'd reconfigured it as "Little Laurie."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 15, 2019 6:54 PM

Isn’t Timothee too young to be playing this role? He looks ridiculous, like a little kid. In the past, this role was played by adults.

by Anonymousreply 85November 15, 2019 10:00 PM

Trivia: the 1949 version at MGM was initially set in motion a few years earlier as a vehicle for Jennifer Jones. Her husband had produced the Hepburn version in the 30s.

She’d have made a terrible Jo. Too dewy and ladylike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 15, 2019 10:00 PM

So what happened to the March sisters? Where are they today? Did they all die? Did they all meet grisly ends?

by Anonymousreply 87November 15, 2019 10:03 PM

r84 Laurie was in high school when it opens. Timmy is 22 years old.

by Anonymousreply 88November 15, 2019 10:05 PM

It was also to star Rhonda Flemming (Meg) Diana Lynn (Amy), and Bambi Linn (Beth).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 15, 2019 10:06 PM

^^ Sorry... continuation of r86

by Anonymousreply 90November 15, 2019 10:07 PM

Didn’t Christian Bale play Laurie? You can’t go from him to a little kid like Timothee. That’s like casting Timothee to be the next Batman. Laughable.

by Anonymousreply 91November 15, 2019 10:11 PM

The 1994 version is interesting because you have famous actresses as Marmee, Jo, Beth and Amy and then a rando as Meg. And isn't Meg supposed to be the prettiest?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 15, 2019 10:12 PM

[quote]R87 So what happened to the March sisters? Where are they today? Did they all die? Did they all meet grisly ends?

Late in life, I know they performed in vaudeville as a sister act. It was reportedly somewhat risqué.

Meg was rumored to be involved in back alley abortions, but it was never proven.

Laurie and Amy were notorious jet set swingers.

by Anonymousreply 93November 15, 2019 10:13 PM

[quote]R92 then a rando as Meg.

Meg is a snoozefest, anyway.

But Trini Alvarado is a very experienced actress who’d been in movies since childhood. She played Bette Midler’s daughter in STELLA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 15, 2019 10:18 PM

I liked who played Meg. It was adult Amy I didn’t like.

by Anonymousreply 95November 15, 2019 10:22 PM

Wasn’t Trini in Power Rangers?

by Anonymousreply 96November 15, 2019 10:24 PM

I think the 1994 Meg is good, too. She makes that dead boring character palatable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 15, 2019 10:26 PM

R94 working and famous are two different things. She was a working actress. The others were/are famous.

by Anonymousreply 98November 15, 2019 10:28 PM

She was good. Not every role needs to be a big star.

by Anonymousreply 99November 15, 2019 10:30 PM

Meg’s recording career:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 15, 2019 10:38 PM

"Absolutely beautiful" is code for "absolutely boring."

by Anonymousreply 101November 15, 2019 10:39 PM

Nope. It’s not boring r101

by Anonymousreply 102November 15, 2019 10:40 PM

I think I'll give this one a miss and just wait for the inevitable new 2022 version instead.

by Anonymousreply 103November 15, 2019 10:42 PM

[quote]R98 working and famous are two different things. She was a working actress. The others were/are famous.

Winona Ryder was one of the film’s producers. She might not have wanted a star of her own stature as Meg... or maybe she had a personal friendship with Alvarado (who had worked with that version’s director before, on MRS. SOFFEL).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 15, 2019 10:48 PM

Does Timo present hole?

NBNC -No Butthole No Care

by Anonymousreply 105November 15, 2019 10:51 PM

Normally when there is a movie with many stars, they cast some of the roles with less knowns. Or unknowns all together.

Many actors had their debut role in a star filled film.

by Anonymousreply 106November 15, 2019 10:59 PM

These remakes are getting on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 107November 15, 2019 11:17 PM

I know.

by Anonymousreply 108November 15, 2019 11:34 PM

Which one dies?

by Anonymousreply 109November 15, 2019 11:37 PM

I just saw this with my bros. We all agree it's almost as beautiful as The English Patient and almost as touching as The Notebook! Fabulous wonderful film and we all left with raging boners!

by Anonymousreply 110November 15, 2019 11:57 PM

Does Timothee show any skin?

by Anonymousreply 111November 15, 2019 11:59 PM

R109 : BETH DIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 16, 2019 12:00 AM

[quote]This has all the warmth of a basement.

Like all Greta Gerwig movies.

[quote]Why do they keep remaking this movie.

Because Hollywood will never tire of odes to rich white liberal women.

by Anonymousreply 113November 16, 2019 12:06 AM

Yeah, that's what Hollywood's always been - one endless ode to empowered women.

by Anonymousreply 114November 16, 2019 12:35 AM

{quote]Trivia: the 1949 version at MGM was initially set in motion a few years earlier as a vehicle for Jennifer Jones. Her husband had produced the Hepburn version in the 30s.

Yes, the little known David Selnick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 16, 2019 12:50 AM

In the book, Amy is described as having one small daughter, who is frail. She is described like maybe she had a serious illness, and barely survived.

The real life “Amy,” the youngest Alcott sister, died of “childbed fever” after the birth of her only daughter. Louisa raised the child, Lulu, until Louisa died of a stroke, when Lulu was only eight.

by Anonymousreply 116November 16, 2019 1:08 AM

B O R I N G

by Anonymousreply 117November 16, 2019 1:23 AM

Your BUTT is boring!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 16, 2019 1:37 AM

I rewatched the 1994 version today and I cried twice. It’s very beautifully done with amazing acting. Winona Ryder was top notch in this movie.

I loved Kirsten Dunst a lot too. She made me laugh numerous times. She shaded Jo more than once lmao. The older Amy sucked. No presence. No charisma. Just pretty.

Claire Danes broke my heart.

Susan Sarandon was fantastic. I liked her more in the role than Laura Dern.

by Anonymousreply 119November 16, 2019 1:39 AM

[quote]r119 I rewatched the 1994 version today and I cried twice.

Let me guess - when Jo runs her hands across the LITTLE TRUNKS IN THE ATTIC ? ? ?

[bold]#dead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 16, 2019 1:54 AM

R120 actually when Beth comes downstairs after being sick and they surprise her with the piano and when she dies. Winona was wonderful in that scene!!! (As was Danes)

by Anonymousreply 121November 16, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote]r103 I think I'll give this one a miss and just wait for the inevitable new 2022 version, instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 16, 2019 2:05 AM

Will the next version be women of color in the roles?

And then the version after Trans women in the roles?

by Anonymousreply 123November 16, 2019 2:08 AM

[quote]r121 actually when Beth comes downstairs after being sick and they surprise her with the piano, and when she dies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124November 16, 2019 2:10 AM

Timothee Chalamet, Emma Watson and Saoirse Ronan in one film? The universe has been far too kind to us with this brilliant, talented cast. Chalamet is the best of his generation.

by Anonymousreply 125November 16, 2019 2:40 AM

[quote] Chalamet is the best of his generation.

Damning with faint praise. Though Saoirse Ronan is one to watch.

by Anonymousreply 126November 16, 2019 2:49 AM

Ronan is lovely. I loved her in Brooklyn, even if the movie was meh. She was fantastic.

I loved her chemistry with Laurie Metcalfe in that shit Gerwig movie.

by Anonymousreply 127November 16, 2019 2:57 AM

I don't think i've seen her in anything other than Atonement, from which I have no memory of her performance whatsoever. i know she's been around forever.

Why do I think of her as doing some vaguely mermaidish movie (in Wales?) when she was a kid? It's something about a father and daughter, and there's a boat and maybe an island. It got good reviews. This was the late 90s, maybe. What movie is that? I think it's about local legend from over there. Independent/low-ish budget.

by Anonymousreply 128November 16, 2019 3:54 AM

My first encounter with her was “The Lovely Bones”.

by Anonymousreply 129November 16, 2019 3:55 AM

R128 Are you thinking of The Secret of Roan Inish? She was too young to be in that one, but it's a nice movie.

by Anonymousreply 130November 16, 2019 4:13 AM

^^ Yes! I know my mind works in odd ways, but somehow it associated "Roan Inish" with "Saoirse Ronan"

It's almost an anagram.

by Anonymousreply 131November 16, 2019 4:17 AM

Ronan is still young at 25, but I want to start seeing her play against type. She usually plays these aloof, somewhat icy, independent-minded, strong-willed, composed, brave / intrepid, slightly self-centred characters who find themselves out-of-place and limited by their restrictive surroundings (Brooklyn, Manchester-by-the-Sea, Ladybird, Mary Queen of Scots, The Host, Byzantium). She's perfect in her type, but it's becoming samey.

She'll probably have a long career (3 Oscar nominations already, the new Meryl), so it would be interesting to see if she'll approach roles completely different from her usual type - someone not strong-headed and self-contained, but someone vivacious, bubbly, disarmingly smiley and somewhat goofy / empty-headed (like Anne Hathaway's character in "Devil Wears Prada"). Or someone sultry, coy, twisted and femme fatale (like Eva Green's role in the "Dreamers"). Or someone mannish and trampy (like Margot Robbie's character in "I, Tonya").

I think they'll only give her an Oscar when she finally goes against her usual type (even though she plays that type very well).

by Anonymousreply 132November 16, 2019 4:18 AM

How is she the new Meryl? I thought I was the new Meryl!

by Anonymousreply 133November 16, 2019 4:20 AM

I'm waiting for the version starring the horse-hung etalons of Blackedraw.

by Anonymousreply 134November 16, 2019 4:25 AM

Haven't you seen The Hustlers?? I'M the new Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 135November 16, 2019 4:25 AM

A clip. I love Timmy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 16, 2019 4:34 AM

She's the new M because M has 21 academy nominations (18 of which were losses).

Ronan is only 25 but has been nominated 3 times already (no wins so far, but it's almost certain she'll get an Oscar in the future at this rate). She might get nominated next year too - and will probably lose to Zellweger. So she's well on track to getting double-digit nominations (losses), punctuated by a few wins eventually.

With Lawrence - she has an Oscar already and 3 noms (losses) but I doubt she'll keep getting nominated throughout her life. She's more of a candle that burns at both ends. Ronan is more of a steady working actress like M.

by Anonymousreply 137November 16, 2019 4:37 AM

[quote]R137 With Lawrence - she has an Oscar already and 3 noms (losses) but I doubt she'll keep getting nominated

Not without her fuck buddy Harvey Weinstein, she won’t.

by Anonymousreply 138November 16, 2019 5:42 AM

[quote]R136 A clip. I love Timmy!

Seated, he looks about 12.

by Anonymousreply 139November 16, 2019 5:44 AM

He looks young. But he is 22. And Laurie is a teenager when we first meet him.

by Anonymousreply 140November 16, 2019 12:59 PM

Will there be a sequel called “Little Men“ about pocket gays?

by Anonymousreply 141November 16, 2019 1:03 PM

There was a “Little Men” in 1998

by Anonymousreply 142November 16, 2019 1:05 PM

I am dying to see this now

by Anonymousreply 143November 17, 2019 2:47 AM

Funnily enough, i’m not. The visuals don’t look careful enough for a “valentine” of this nature.

I’ll probably watch it when it’s on one of my subscriptions at 2:00 a.m. some day next year

by Anonymousreply 144November 17, 2019 5:34 AM

I think Timothee is so good in every movie. Such a natural talent.

by Anonymousreply 145November 17, 2019 8:16 PM

[quote]Didn’t Christian Bale play Laurie? You can’t go from him to a little kid like Timothee.

It's not a series, nimrod.

by Anonymousreply 146November 18, 2019 12:00 PM

[quote]chalamet is the best of his generation.

BWAH HAHAHA

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 147November 18, 2019 12:15 PM

[quote]chalamet is the best of his generation.

BWAH HAHAHA

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 148November 18, 2019 12:15 PM

I’ll give Chalamet the benefit of the doubt, but he pales in comparison to Bale. He’s like a younger, more immature-looking version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 18, 2019 12:22 PM

Also, Laurie was a bit older than Jo - and that was reflected in their dynamic. But in the Chalamet-Ronan pairing - Ronan looks older and bigger than Chalamet :).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 18, 2019 12:36 PM

Not for a single second of one moment on any day in my life did I think of Christian Bale being as hot as I now find Timmy. Not for a nanosecond. Timothée Chalamet *IS* Theodore "Laurie" Lawrence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151November 18, 2019 12:41 PM

How *is* he “Laurie”? In Little Women, Jo thought that Laurie was older than her (because he was described as “broad-shouldered”, vivacious and quite big for his age). Chalamet is the opposite of broad-shouldered - he has the appearance of a demure waif :).

Chalamet could (with a stretch) work as Laurie - but then you need an even younger-looking, more petite Jo to star opposite him. Otherwise, in the Ronan-Chalamet pairing - Chalamet looks like Ronan’s younger brother.

The Bale-Rider pairing was very effective - because he looked exactly older and more grown/masculine/imposing than Rider’s Jo. Which played well with her fear of being trapped in a conventional marriage to a more traditional, possessive partner. But in the Ronan-Chalamet pairing - I don’t even know which one is more masculine, lol. I actually think Ronan looks older and more imposing - and Chalamet should be the one fearful of being trapped and controlled :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 18, 2019 2:07 PM

Fine, r152. You watch Bale when Timmy's version comes out. I'll watch Timmy's.

by Anonymousreply 153November 18, 2019 2:09 PM

Compared to this:

Roman is the one who looks more possessive & controlling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 18, 2019 2:11 PM

Chalamet is still a MALE. Ronan a FEMALE. And they are age appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 155November 18, 2019 2:15 PM

Bale stopped existing for me when he started losing his shit with camera crew and other production people back in the early '00s. He's nothing to me now, less than a worthless sack of shit.

by Anonymousreply 156November 18, 2019 2:21 PM

Bale seems to have calmed down in recent years, but he supposedly became a monster at one point, even with his mother in law and wife I believe.

by Anonymousreply 157November 18, 2019 2:29 PM

I don’t see the issue with Emma keeping her hair dark to play Meg and the other 3 sisters having light hair.

In the 1994 version it was the opposite, the 3 older sisters had dark hair and the youngest was blonde. Now the oldest is brunette and the 3 younger are blonde.

by Anonymousreply 158November 18, 2019 2:32 PM

R155, no one said Chalamet isn’t "male” - I said he doesn’t look IMPOSING enough in that specific pairing with Ronan. The intrigue (red-herring romantic hook) in Little Women was that Laruie and Jo are supposed to be a very organic couple, to the point that readers / audiences were even misled to root for them. But Laurie was supposed to be a bit overly explosive (similar to Jo) and pose the risk of a somewhat “traditionalist” domineering partnership option, which Jo didn’t want.

Whereas Chalamet’s twinky, soft, mousey form (especially when juxtaposed to Ronan's strong presence) doesn’t convey any risk of a possible claustrophobic, restrictive marriage. He looks like a dweeb, more waif-ish than Ronan. In a marriage with him, Ronan’s Jo would be wearing the pants and running the show :). The rebellious female vs more traditionalist, domineering male tension just isn’t felt in this pairing.

Ironically, Bale’s under-the-surface explosiveness and pushiness actually works for this character - Laurie as a character seems very nice, but also has a darker controlling side. But with Chalamet + Ronan - she looks like she could bend twinky Chalamet to her will, not the other way around :).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159November 18, 2019 3:56 PM

But you are comparing their real life personas to the source. They are actors. He can ACT domineering while she can ACT otherwise. She is not playing a modern woman. And he is playing a man of his times.

And stop speaking about Bale as Laurie as some imposing figure. He wasn’t. Rewatch it.

by Anonymousreply 160November 18, 2019 5:11 PM

This story and movie has been done to death- sorry- like Star is Born- too much. Only perhaps if you have never seen all previous versions and know the stories inside out. Hollywood does not have much imagination it seems.

by Anonymousreply 161November 18, 2019 5:14 PM

Chalamet looks like the kind of fey schoolyard gay girls might befriend because he’s non-threatening, and play Barbies with.

In this version we apparently have a fag hag Jo.

by Anonymousreply 162November 18, 2019 5:34 PM

[quote] He can ACT domineering while she can ACT otherwise.

Everyone can act, R160 - but not everyone can act [italic]believably / convincingly[/italic] - sometimes some things are outside an actor's skillset. Where in the film did Chalamet act "domineering"? In the clips, he acted exactly as he is - a nice, youngER twink who was bossed around (and even physically slapped around :) by an older, ultra-confident, icy Ronan :). He didn't seem domineering or possessive, he just seemed desperately petulant and in love. Marrying this puppy-ish twink doesn't look like a threat / trap to Jo's artistic writing freedom - because Chalamet doesn't look like he could stop a fly.

[quote] And stop speaking about Bale as Laurie as some imposing figure. He wasn’t. Rewatch it.

Bale was imposing enough and much more so than Chalamet looks - Bale's Laurie was taller and bigger than Ryder, forced a smooch on her, and the way he speaks to her during the proposal is actually hinting at possessiveness. It helps explain why Jo rejected the proposal. Not only did she not love him (other than as a friend) - she also didn't want to be potentially trapped forever in an argumentative partnership with a "hot-tempered", "broad-shouldered" super-rich guy who "stubbornly" wants to have his (own) dominant way just as much as she does. This astute (and believable) anxiety was well-conveyed in the Bale/Ryder couple. But I don't see how Chalamet's twinky Laurie can make anyone anxious - even in his proposal scene, Ronan's Jo just shouts back at him and he's already close to tears half-way through his speech :). Chalamet's twinky Laurie seems more of a sad nuisance than an anxiety-inducing marriage-entrapment dilemma.

[quote] She is not playing a modern woman. And he is playing a man of his times.

Greta Gerwig's adaptation actually changed some of the book text to give Jo more "empowering" speeches and included a "drastic change to the ending" - so she IS playing a more modern version of the character. Director Greta told Entertainment Weekly: "Even though it does take place in the 19th century, we IN NO WAY wanted it to feel like it was something that was PAST. We wanted it to feel like it was PRESENT RIGHT NOW" ... “They were just people. They were not in a period piece, they were just living,” Gerwig says. “They were THE MOST modern people who had EVER existed, up till that point.”

by Anonymousreply 163November 18, 2019 6:31 PM

Bale did not play the part imposing. He was soft spoken throughout the entire film. Soft spoken and mousy.

by Anonymousreply 164November 18, 2019 6:47 PM

Is it true that Amy is the most divisive character from The film? Apparently a lot of people hate her character. I wonder why.

Supposedly Greta Gerwig promises to change everyone’s minds about Amy in her adaptation forever.

by Anonymousreply 165November 18, 2019 7:04 PM

R163 Wow. You have really thought about this. I'm impressed. Bale did play his part (as a somewhat dominant male) well so maybe what is required in this version is a totally new take instead of trying to imitate what's been done already. I think that's what Gerwig is going for. I also think Chalamet's fanbase will eat up his sensitive, weepy reaction with a spoon instead of finding him to be a sad nuisance. Not everyone likes a tough guy. That said, I hope there aren't too many "empowering speeches." Those moments usually feel false and forced to me, like, "Let me step out of the 1860s to give a 2019 speech to my 2019 audience." Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 166November 18, 2019 7:15 PM

Gerwig has updated the story a bit. Supposedly she is fixing everything that is “wrong” with the Amy character

by Anonymousreply 167November 18, 2019 7:39 PM

I will tell you this... Gerwig does a good job of staying true to the source material while still making her version feel more modern, young and contemporary.

It will get a Best Picture nod.

by Anonymousreply 168November 18, 2019 8:29 PM

I liked Bale in the 1994 movie, but this idea he was this masculine tough guy is a lie. He was soft spoken and sweet

by Anonymousreply 169November 18, 2019 9:05 PM

R164, the film covers a wide span of time (a decade) following Jo and her family from the time she's 15 to the time she's 25. At the time of the proposal - the director, Gillian Armstrong, staged the action to make Bale’s Laurie physically imposing (to help contextualise Jo’s rejection of him). I'm not sure why you're even questioning this - it's obvious & in plain sight, by design. Ryder's Jo was alone in the woodland grove with her best male pal, Bale’s Laurie, who is TWICE Ryder’s size (he can't be "mousy" in comparison to Ryder when he's literally towering over her - Laurie was bigger than Jo in the book too). Suddenly he takes her hand in his (despite Ryder’s Jo looking uncomfortable) and leads up to a proposal. Jo says "no, don't" - he ignores her answer and physically motions to silence her. Without warning and despite a negative answer, he gives her a full-on kiss on the mouth. She stops him. He still continues leading up to the proposal - not “soft-spoken” but in a passionate, sexually excited whisper. He tells Jo that if she marries him he’ll provide for the March family financially and she won’t have to write - leading to surprised shock and dismay for Jo. Because she realises that, despite his financial kindness / cajoling, he doesn’t understand her life goals.

They obviously staged it to present him as imposing himself on her in that situation (physically and a bit sexually, though in the book he was doing it more through ominous, indirect physical gestures, indirect threats and psychological pressure by reminding Jo that “everyone” expects their marriage and that she shouldn’t “disappoint” everyone). Again, it contextualised Jo’s rejection of him more, as she didn’t love him, but also was very independent-minded and didn't want a life partner who had bouts of temperamental, possessive dominance like this. (The 1994 film cut out some of his speech because otherwise he could have been too unlikeable for modern audiences.)

[quote] From the book: “… still further fortified her for the tête-à-tête', but when she saw a STALWART figure [Laurie] LOOMING in the distance, she had a strong desire to turn about and RUN AWAY […] Something in his resolute tone made Jo look up quickly to find him LOOKING DOWN at her with an expression that assured her the dreaded moment had come, and made her put out her hand with an imploring, "No, Teddy. Please don’t”. ”I WILL, and you must hear me. It's no use, Jo, we've got to have it out, and the sooner the better for both of us," he answered, getting flushed and excited all at once. "Say what you like then. I'll listen," said Jo, with a desperate sort of patience […] he decapitated buttercups while he cleared his 'confounded throat' […] Laurie turned round, bringing all his persuasive powers to bear as he said, in the wheedlesome tone that had never been so DANGEROULSY wheedlesome before, "Don't disappoint us, dear! Everyone expects it. Grandpa has set his heart upon it, your people like it, and I can't get on without you. Say you will, and let's be happy. Do, do!" […] "That devilish Professor you were always writing about. If you say you love him, I know I shall do something desperate;" and he looked as if he would keep his word, as he CLENCHED his hands with a wrathful spark in his eyes.”

by Anonymousreply 170November 18, 2019 9:21 PM

Gerwig has made the film more modern, while staying true to the source.

She supposedly makes Amy more "likable" also, and makes Laurie more vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 171November 18, 2019 9:25 PM

I didn't say Bale's Laurie was a "tough guy", R169. He was from a rich, upper-class family - of course he was "genteel" and generally behaved in a respectable, polite way, as expected. He was also generally a good friend to Jo, her best friend in fact. But he also had an "edge", a somewhat controlling, imposing, temperamental side under the genteel surface, reflected both in the book and in the proposal scene in the 1994 adaptation (which is why even Margaret March advised Jo that they were ill-suited for each other at that time)

by Anonymousreply 172November 18, 2019 9:54 PM

[quote]R163 Chalamet's twinky Laurie seems more of a sad nuisance than an anxiety-inducing marriage-entrapment dilemma.

Temperamentally, he’s more of a Beth.

by Anonymousreply 173November 18, 2019 11:46 PM

WHEN you guys see it you will see how perfect his casting was for this.

by Anonymousreply 174November 18, 2019 11:48 PM

[quote]R165 Is it true that Amy is the most divisive character from The film? Apparently a lot of people hate her character. I wonder why.

[quote]R167 supposedly she is fixing everything that is “wrong” with the Amy character

Amy doesn’t need anyone’s makeover!

I read a thesis once that pointed out that Amy is actually the free-est of the sisters. She dedicates herself to her art and even if she’s bratty, she’s assured and doesn’t suffer from self-doubt.

She also goes through the biggest change in maturation, which makes her interesting.

by Anonymousreply 175November 19, 2019 12:06 AM

So they are updating it with modern sensibilities? Is one of the “sisters” going to be MtF trans? Most likely the one that dies I guess? Is it to late to have Jazzy play her?

by Anonymousreply 176November 19, 2019 12:11 AM

[quote]AMY MARCH: - Petty Princess - thinks revenge is a dish best served in your fucking fireplace,[italic] Jo[/italic]- surprisingly sensible - knows what she wants - actually quite tender underneath it all - went to France once & brings it up CONSTANTLY - old people love her - turned on by etiquette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 19, 2019 12:24 AM

Oh, OP! I think you'e absolutely beautiful too!!! AND wonderful!!!!! You may get a nod AND a nom!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 178November 19, 2019 1:03 AM

they're all white??????? REPRESENTATION MATTERS. I'm so tired of white actors being in movies.

by Anonymousreply 179November 19, 2019 1:15 AM

I would love to see the meltdowns people would have if they made a black cast version.

by Anonymousreply 180November 19, 2019 1:20 AM

if they had an all Black cast people would fall all over themselves declaring the genius of the film, quality notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 181November 19, 2019 1:24 AM

R181 some would. But many would have mental breakdowns all over social media. You see the uproar people had about them making Arielle black in The Little Mermaid, imagine them doing it to a beloved novel like Little Women???

by Anonymousreply 182November 19, 2019 1:26 AM

Why are they using the Deadly Women font?

by Anonymousreply 183November 19, 2019 1:27 AM

Amy has been hated by many for decades. She is seen as petty, selfish, narcissistic and stuck up. Also, materialistic, classist and judgmental.

by Anonymousreply 184November 19, 2019 1:36 AM

That is a LIBELOUS statement!

Amy also ends up the richest, so unless you want Grandfather Lawrence to SUE your ass, I would RECANT!

by Anonymousreply 185November 19, 2019 1:43 AM

R168 and 171 SCREAM PR shill.

by Anonymousreply 186November 19, 2019 2:03 AM

All Black “Steel Magnolias “ sucked.

by Anonymousreply 187November 19, 2019 2:06 AM

R187 Wait, was that with a black cast or white people in black face? Who played the Julia Robert’s character, I hope they made her heavyset so the diabetes would make sense, and piss Julia off?

by Anonymousreply 188November 19, 2019 2:15 AM

Queen Latifah played the Sally Field role, I don’t remember who played the daughter.

by Anonymousreply 189November 19, 2019 2:26 AM

Why do they always seem like contemporary high school or college kids acting in the school play. That clip is really miserable.

by Anonymousreply 190November 19, 2019 2:27 AM

Here is something someone wrote about Amy....

"Amy was vain as a child, burned Jo’s book (see below), complained about being sent away to be kept safe from scarlet fever, wanted to scrimp on her mother’s Christmas gift so she could get something for herself (and only changed her mind after comparing her gift to her sisters’), wanted to earn the favour of wealthy friends with a party she couldn’t afford, thought it was acceptable to treat people kindly or coldly based on their wealth or status, thought it was reasonable and respectable to marry for money (for a time), and tried to arouse jealousy and affection in Laurie in Europe even though, as she later lets on, she suspected that Jo loved him, “Why, I was sure she loved you!” (Then why play the coquette to gain his attention and bask in the fact that he filled your dance card with his name?!)."

They then go on a rant about how most fans despise her mainly for burning her sisters book....

"She burned Jo’s book

This warrants a section of its own because out of all the things readers are annoyed about, this is the one that burns in the heart and mind (pun intended). To think of someone destroying one’s precious life work due to circumstances that were not in their control (Laurie was the one who didn’t invite Amy to the theatre, not Jo), a sister’s life work no less, over not being able to go to the theatre… If Amy had been a model character the rest of the book I suspect there would still be virulent dislike based on this one incident, particularly from book lovers and aspiring authors."

by Anonymousreply 191November 19, 2019 2:28 AM

Amy is also why Laurie decides to end his pursuit of music

by Anonymousreply 192November 19, 2019 2:33 AM

Christ, Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch should get as many remakes.

by Anonymousreply 193November 19, 2019 2:37 AM

I am not gonna lie, I just laughed while reading this blog, "Amy March Was a Total Bitch!" lmao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194November 19, 2019 2:44 AM

Everyone can just shut the fuck up about the book burning!

[quote] most people will cite the Amy-destroying-Jo’s-manuscript episode as the root of their Amy rage. I get it.... but have you ever had a friend who was working on something, be it a novel or a line of hand-knit characters from classic literature, and it was the only thing they talked about for months on end, and you were proud of them for pursuing their dream but also maybe a little tired of hearing about it all the time? I’m just saying that a very small part of me understands why Amy threw that thing in the fire.)

by Anonymousreply 195November 19, 2019 2:50 AM

r195 but that is not why Amy destroyed Jo's book. She did it to hurt her because LAURIE did not get her a ticket to the theater.

She is a cunt, and as her sister Beth is dying all she was worried about is being kissed by a boy. She could care less that Beth was dying, and she didn't care when Beth DID die. She just cared about having Laurie's wealth.

by Anonymousreply 196November 19, 2019 2:54 AM

I found Amy to be a bitch, too, but did like Dunst as young Amy in the 1994 movie. She added a charm and humor the role needed.

I love when Jo cuts her hair off and Amy shades her. “Jo, how could you?! Your one beauty!”

by Anonymousreply 197November 19, 2019 2:58 AM

EXCITED

by Anonymousreply 198November 19, 2019 11:09 PM

I’m the only Amy March DL needs!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199November 20, 2019 5:10 AM

always nice to see Liz before she turned into a whale

by Anonymousreply 200November 20, 2019 5:46 AM

Liz was in Little Women?

by Anonymousreply 201November 22, 2019 9:14 AM

R201 Please hand over your gay card, luckily I have my pinking shears handy to cut it in half!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 22, 2019 11:07 AM

Liz was such a bad actress

by Anonymousreply 203November 22, 2019 12:54 PM

Agreed. Tits Taylor was relatively talent free.

by Anonymousreply 204November 22, 2019 1:07 PM

Greta Gerwig missed such an opportunity. Marmee should have been played by Viola Davis; Mr. March should have been David Harbour. All the girls would be mixed-race. THEN we'd have something.

by Anonymousreply 205November 22, 2019 1:18 PM

R205, I'd watch it if it were a Native American or Asian version. But in the Viola Davis scenario - I'm tired of 'diversity' meaning ONLY black. It's becoming ridiculously one-sided. I can't even think of an Asian or Native American winning a lead acting Oscar ever. I think there was maybe one Asian lady many decades ago - and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 206November 22, 2019 1:33 PM

Trailer 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207November 25, 2019 1:54 AM

Who be that boy?

by Anonymousreply 208November 25, 2019 9:04 AM

Timmy?

by Anonymousreply 209November 25, 2019 3:54 PM

[quote] The 1994 version is interesting because you have famous actresses as Marmee, Jo, Beth and Amy and then a rando as Meg.

At the time, Trini Alvarado was well known. She had starred in "The Frighteners" and "Rich Kids" and "Tiomes Square."

It was Kirsten Dunst who was not well known at the time.

by Anonymousreply 210November 25, 2019 4:15 PM

I love Timmy. He is one of a kind. He is what Lucas Hedges wants to be

by Anonymousreply 211November 25, 2019 7:57 PM

The only interesting part of reading "Find Me" is picturing Timmy as Elio. As I did when I read CMBYN, I pictured Aaron Tveit as Oliver.

Such a disappointment, "Find Me." It lost me.

by Anonymousreply 212November 25, 2019 8:00 PM

Is “Find Me” even out?

by Anonymousreply 213November 25, 2019 8:17 PM

The book is, r213. I hated it so much, I'm not providing a link.

by Anonymousreply 214November 25, 2019 8:21 PM

[quote]But in the Viola Davis scenario....

But in the Viola Davis scenario everyone would give "Big Important THEATAH Acting" performances like the hammy Viola Davis. She's overrated.

by Anonymousreply 215November 26, 2019 7:42 AM

What about Emma Watson? Didn't she ruined all her scenes with her lack of talent this time?

by Anonymousreply 216November 26, 2019 5:33 PM

Ronan discussing working with Greta Gerwig and Timmy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217November 26, 2019 8:47 PM

Ronan doesn't look like a natural fit for the Jo of the book. She's supposed to be blunt and graceless. And frankly, plain. Winona Ryder wasn't plain, but she was enough of a spark plug to at least seem forcefully ... alienated.

I'm a little afraid.

by Anonymousreply 218November 27, 2019 2:17 PM

Mama June should have been cast as Marmee and Honey Boo Boo as Beth. Pumpkin would have made on hell of an Amy. Sugar Bear as Reverend March.

by Anonymousreply 219November 27, 2019 3:04 PM

I can’t wait to watch this for Timmy <3

by Anonymousreply 220November 27, 2019 3:05 PM

I hope Tim gets an Oscar nod for this.

by Anonymousreply 221December 1, 2019 12:58 AM

Meryl is doing a TON of p.r. for this after the `st of the year, more than any other cast member. Ellen, The View, The Talk, The Real and ET

by Anonymousreply 222December 1, 2019 2:19 AM

R222 she doesn’t have anything else coming

by Anonymousreply 223December 1, 2019 2:20 AM

Nice try, r222. M on “The Real” lol

by Anonymousreply 224December 1, 2019 2:24 AM

Jayzus, now all we need is another adaptation of the musical Annie.

Not one of the adaptations has ever been good. Just tell the damn story without all the female empowerment shit.

by Anonymousreply 225December 1, 2019 3:47 AM

Should have been made into porn with midgets. This is such a pointless adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 226December 1, 2019 6:16 PM

The 1994 version is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 227December 1, 2019 6:58 PM

They are showing the 1949 version right now on TCM and I can’t stand this version.

by Anonymousreply 228December 1, 2019 7:00 PM

Liz Taylor is so miscast in the 1949 version. Omg. So bad.

by Anonymousreply 229December 1, 2019 7:13 PM

Jeez, I blocked one poster and half the thread disappeared. It’s either a PR hack or an insane Timméeeee stan.

by Anonymousreply 230December 2, 2019 2:42 AM

Went to a private preview and Meryl got a standing o when she came on the screen and many laughs.. I heard comments like "She deserves an Oscar' and 'She stole the movie from those poor girls!'

by Anonymousreply 231December 5, 2019 9:37 PM

Who keeps giving Emma Watson roles? The girl seems nice but she absolutely cannot act

by Anonymousreply 232December 5, 2019 9:45 PM

Timmy and Laura Dern were hanging out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233December 6, 2019 2:58 AM

It comes out next week, no?

by Anonymousreply 234December 16, 2019 3:32 AM

Who is watching it?

by Anonymousreply 235December 17, 2019 10:08 PM

The ONLY Amy March DL will ever need.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 17, 2019 10:11 PM

Liz was miscast. Badly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 237December 17, 2019 10:19 PM

Liz was hilarious as Amy. Perfect casting. The only one to come close is Ann Dusenberry.

by Anonymousreply 238December 20, 2019 4:34 PM

She can not act

by Anonymousreply 239December 21, 2019 3:03 AM

This comes out this week, girls

by Anonymousreply 240December 21, 2019 7:50 PM

There were lobby cards advocating for Best Supporting Actress for Ms. Streep at the showing I went to in Amherst.

by Anonymousreply 241December 21, 2019 8:44 PM

As much as I enjoyed Florence Pugh the flashbacks to when she was younger was disconcerting because she plays Amy like a little kid when you're looking at a grown woman. Then there's a scene where she's with her classmates and these kids were obviously 10 or 11 then you have 20-something Florence Pugh smack dab in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 242December 21, 2019 8:47 PM

I don’t know why they had Florence play Amy as a kid instead of getting a child actress.

by Anonymousreply 243December 24, 2019 3:06 PM

My agent never heard back from Greta!

by Anonymousreply 244December 24, 2019 3:10 PM

This comes out tomorrow. Go see it!

by Anonymousreply 245December 24, 2019 3:14 PM

[quote]Ronan doesn't look like a natural fit for the Jo of the book. She's supposed to be blunt and graceless. And frankly, plain. Winona Ryder wasn't plain, but she was enough of a spark plug to at least seem forcefully ... alienated.

She’s much better than Winona.

by Anonymousreply 246December 24, 2019 3:32 PM

[quote] Didn’t Christian Bale play Laurie? You can’t go from him to a little kid like Timothee.

Timothée is three years older than Christian was when he played this part. Go back and look at the 1994 movie again and you’ll realize how young Bale is — he barely has facial hair.

by Anonymousreply 247December 24, 2019 3:43 PM

... and the age difference between Ryder (born Oct. 71) and Bale (b. Jan. 74) was greater than between Ronan (b. April 74) and Chalamet (b. Dec. 95).

by Anonymousreply 248December 24, 2019 4:06 PM

Sigh... Ronan born in April *94* obviously....

by Anonymousreply 249December 24, 2019 4:07 PM

Ronan is wonderful. So is Timmy.

by Anonymousreply 250December 24, 2019 7:12 PM

Ronan is quite plain, why would anyone think she can’t play plain?

by Anonymousreply 251December 24, 2019 7:16 PM

It’s out. Now.

by Anonymousreply 252December 25, 2019 6:32 PM

Was Dern any good in this?

by Anonymousreply 253December 25, 2019 6:48 PM

R253 no. Sarandon was much better in the part.

by Anonymousreply 254December 25, 2019 7:07 PM

This movie was DUNG. PURE DUNG. Derivative of all the versions before it. The 1994 version is far superior and modern enough.

Laura Dern was so subpar (and I fucking love her- she is my can-do-no-wrong actress) that I could see this costing her the Oscar for Marriage Story...

Florence was fine. Nothing special, but the best thing about it.

The photography was blah. Meryl was blah. Timothee or however you spell his name, was BLAH.

Serviceable film- not bad- just completely blah.. I cannot get over the raves. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 255December 25, 2019 7:15 PM

I just saw it (Christmas day) and I really enjoyed it but some of the timing/flashbacks were confusing. I thought Meryl was hysterical and she gave some good eye rolls. Timothee does nothing for me - the guy Frederick was hot though

by Anonymousreply 256December 25, 2019 8:07 PM

This movie will be so huge. Middle America will remember the good old days before the mexican invasion, when the United States was the greatest country on earth.

by Anonymousreply 257December 25, 2019 8:23 PM

Meryl was a treat

by Anonymousreply 258December 25, 2019 9:16 PM

I was up for Amy R258

by Anonymousreply 259December 25, 2019 9:19 PM

Ok boomer.

by Anonymousreply 260December 25, 2019 9:25 PM

Just saw it and I recommend it. The last movie version of it that had a high profile was back in 1994, which was my generation’s version. (I am unaware of the in-between versions people are referring to.) Another generation with people who love the story can put their stamp on it. Ronan came through to me as a young woman working several sources of income as best she could, with a real goofy friend in Laurie, whereas I remember Winona being more of a romantic figure, more removed. Older Amy in this version is much more interesting and believable to me than the 1994 version, without a doubt. Sarandon made for a tougher Marmee, IMO, but Dern did a good job. I came away thinking that Beth's demise and death was less 'shown' compared to the 1994 version, though, and I wonder why Gerwig made that choice. Maybe the back and forth timeframes diluted that impact somewhat. I still liked the movie overall.

As for the low economic status of a family living in a nice big house, I believe the term is “cash poor” and isn’t hard to imagine.

by Anonymousreply 261December 25, 2019 11:09 PM

4th Oscar for Streep. No one even close.

by Anonymousreply 262December 26, 2019 1:18 PM

lol R262, right. J-Lo or Dern have a better shot than that old crone. Hell, even the lady from The Farewell, has better odds (she was lovely)

by Anonymousreply 263December 26, 2019 1:24 PM

I was feeling something close to romantic love for Timothee watching this movie. Not since Leo DiCaprio in Romeo + Juliet have I felt that. He's really something.

by Anonymousreply 264December 26, 2019 1:31 PM

Random thoughts:

A rare misfire for Dern. Not sure if miscast or the script.

The score was excellent, as was Meryl.

The romantic endgames were anything but subtle, but Fredrich was HAWT.

The time skipping device was interesting, but too overused. Someone mentions Laurie...here's a Laurie flashback!

Pugh was really good, but putting her in that school scene with actual children...WTF was GG thinking?

Some scenes were really effecting, some felt like Gerwig was checking them off a to do list.

by Anonymousreply 265December 26, 2019 2:37 PM

So was Dern’s problem that she didn’t transcend the historical period and came off as too contemporary?

by Anonymousreply 266December 26, 2019 2:52 PM

R266 I'm honestly not sure. She was just...off. And I loved her in Marriage Story.

by Anonymousreply 267December 26, 2019 3:12 PM

Streep isn’t on the top five BSA lists of any Oscar prediction sites I have seen so far. Does she stand a chance?

by Anonymousreply 268December 26, 2019 3:47 PM

No, R262 is taking the piss. She's excellent in her scenes but has a limited screen time. They aren't even campaigning her.

by Anonymousreply 269December 26, 2019 6:26 PM

I adore James Norton he makes me all tingly down there

by Anonymousreply 270December 26, 2019 6:35 PM

The story that just won't die.

"Some adaptations are lost forever, like a 1917 British silent film, three TV movies in the '40s, and a six-part BBC mini-series made in 1950 (the ones made in 1958, 1970, and 2017 remain). According to The New Yorker, between 1935 and 1950, there were 48 radio dramatizations of Little Women. Many musical adaptations remain legendary, but impossible to watch, like the 1955 London musical A Girl Call Jo, the 1964 off-Broadway musical Jo, or CBS's 1958 TV musical starring The Brady Brunch's Florence Henderson as Meg March."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271December 26, 2019 10:41 PM

Tim O’Tay < James Norton < Louis Garrel

by Anonymousreply 272December 27, 2019 7:48 AM

I just finished watching this and it truly was wonderful. It has so many beautiful performances, even Emma was good and I usually don’t like her.

The segment of them showing us Beth sick the first time vs the second time was beautifully done. I cried.

by Anonymousreply 273December 27, 2019 6:06 PM

I recommend it. Go see it.

by Anonymousreply 274December 27, 2019 9:23 PM

I had high expectations based on the reviews, but the abrupt scenes and back and forth chronology made it hard to emotionally connect with the characters and their struggles. Despite the many good performances and beautiful settings, this version of Little Women felt anticlimactic and detached. I'll think twice before relying upon the critics' recommendations in the future.

by Anonymousreply 275December 27, 2019 10:04 PM

See, I loved the back and forth. It worked at many moments, like Beth getting sick/Beth getting sick again and dying.

by Anonymousreply 276December 27, 2019 10:11 PM

See, I loved the back and forth. It worked at many moments, like Beth getting sick/Beth getting sick again and dying.

by Anonymousreply 277December 27, 2019 10:11 PM

R266, that’s my impression of Dern in that very small clip where she talks about in all her 40 years. It didn’t seem to fit the times. I do love her, though.

I seem to recall that Aunt March was someone whose ass they kissed because she had money.

by Anonymousreply 278December 27, 2019 10:57 PM

Dern just wasn’t that good. She was the weak link in this movie. Sarandon did more with less.

by Anonymousreply 279December 27, 2019 11:01 PM

Florence was brilliant in this. She was the best part b

by Anonymousreply 280December 27, 2019 11:02 PM

I loved the introduction scene to Amy, with Miss March and Amy sees Laurie walking by and stops the carriage to run over to him. Was wonderful and Timmy was so handsome in it.

by Anonymousreply 281December 27, 2019 11:03 PM

Watched the cam version yesterday and only lasted about thirty minutes or so. I usually love women stories, but this one wasn't for me. It doesn't really build towards anything - it immediately starts at 10 and keeps jumping all over the place. And the editing is so bizarre - Chalamet flirts with Whatsherface in one scene, dances with another girl (her sister?) in the next, and is having a public spat with the first one again in his third scene? I got so confused. I'll watch one of the older movies first, I think.

by Anonymousreply 282December 28, 2019 1:47 PM

It came out Wed. I doubt the cam version is good. Who does that?

by Anonymousreply 283December 28, 2019 1:52 PM

Laura Dern seems to modern for the story. S. Ronan is phenomenal.

Meryl of good but does all the mannerisms she’s known for

by Anonymousreply 284December 28, 2019 3:11 PM

Meryl was fun. I loved her.

by Anonymousreply 285December 28, 2019 3:13 PM

[quote]Tim O’Tay < James Norton < Louis Garrel

I will forever love Garrel for not being precious about showing cock and ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286December 28, 2019 4:04 PM

R286 many foreign actors are more open to nudity

by Anonymousreply 287December 28, 2019 4:16 PM

Christian Bale gives his take on Timmy playing the role he played years prior

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288December 28, 2019 4:54 PM

Florence stole the whole damn thing, which was expected. I actually loved Laura Dern as Marmee, but Emma Watson (and to a lesser degree Saoirse) was surprisingly dull.

by Anonymousreply 289December 28, 2019 6:11 PM

I found Emma very cute in this.

by Anonymousreply 290December 28, 2019 6:12 PM

Also, Emma was acting alongside several foreign actors and was the only one who couldn't hide her accent. I do feel for her though; nobody cares about Meg and she did the best she could to give her a little depth.

by Anonymousreply 291December 28, 2019 6:16 PM

I loved the actress who played Beth. She truly brought that character to life. She was superior to Clare Danes.

by Anonymousreply 292December 28, 2019 6:25 PM

Timothée Chalamet Makes Laurie In 'Little Women' The Ultimate F*ckboy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293December 28, 2019 6:31 PM

Such an amazing film. An instant classic.

by Anonymousreply 294December 29, 2019 1:56 AM

Comparing every version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295December 29, 2019 1:57 AM

I didn't like this 'modernized' version with its emasculation of Laurie and redeeming of Amy because God forbid a female character is unlikable or hated.

Also, what's up with all March sisters being played by foreigners? SAG-AFTRA sucks at protecting American actors!

by Anonymousreply 296December 29, 2019 4:36 AM

Of course, I meant 'redemption.'

by Anonymousreply 297December 29, 2019 4:40 AM

Is there any girl on girl action?

Otherwise, I'm not interested.

by Anonymousreply 298December 29, 2019 5:08 AM

Is this a different "Little Women" or the same one that's remade every 5 years? How many times can they remake this shit?

by Anonymousreply 299December 29, 2019 9:31 AM

If this does well enough, will Gerwig speed to make Little Men while Timotay is still young enough to play one of them? Or maybe Lady Boy with Timmy?

by Anonymousreply 300December 29, 2019 12:19 PM

Very so so review on the main newspaper in Spain. It basically said that it has its good moments but it's nothing special (the critic liked Lady bird way more), for her the best of the film is Ronan and the worst Chalamet

by Anonymousreply 301December 29, 2019 12:33 PM

R301 link?

by Anonymousreply 302December 29, 2019 2:36 PM

How was Laurie emasculated? He was a douche bro in this, and more of a “dude” than any other version I have seen. He made this his own, and I appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 303December 29, 2019 2:37 PM

Loved it, great ensemble work! Very moving without ever becoming overly melodramatic or sappy.

by Anonymousreply 304December 29, 2019 5:24 PM

It was actually very sweet. And fun.

by Anonymousreply 305December 29, 2019 6:24 PM

I enjoyed it. The lady who played Aunt March was very underrated.

by Anonymousreply 306December 29, 2019 6:46 PM

R302 This is the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307December 29, 2019 7:45 PM

Why here NO Florence Pugh thread to discuss on this site yet? Can smbd create it, pls?

by Anonymousreply 308December 30, 2019 1:42 AM

You can discuss it here r308

by Anonymousreply 309December 30, 2019 1:43 AM

R301 Spanish press hates Timothee since Woody Allen situation and that premier of Beautiful Boy in 2018

There are a lot of very influential critics Who are big WA fans and they Hate Timothee for what he did Like it is a Real thing. And there also was and episode in 2018 when Timothee visited their Film festival and came 2 days earlier than all the press junkets and premier to shag Lily OR smth and they took it as a personal insult as if he was playing a star and ignore them for two days (when he Just came earlier for personal reasons) but they saw it this way. It made quite a fuss among Spanish jurnosvand they destroid TC in articles before the oficial big premier. Funnny enough aftervthe premier and junkets when TC charmed most of them the review were much better. But i think they still hold a grudge and cant forgive him WA. Like i yet to see a jurno from spain Who Will say one Good Word about Timothee's performance in anything. I think hisvreputation there isvforever fucked

by Anonymousreply 310December 30, 2019 1:52 AM

Sorry for all the misspeling

by Anonymousreply 311December 30, 2019 1:55 AM

I feel like Florence have even a bigger moment than Timothee had in 2017/18. The movie is more appealing to a wider audience and she is a standout for the majority of critics and viewers. So i feel next year she ll be the biggest star out of all the sisters

by Anonymousreply 312December 30, 2019 2:05 AM

[quote] feel like Florence have even a bigger moment than Timothee had in 2017/18. The movie is more appealing to a wider audience and she is a standout for the majority of critics and viewers. So i feel next year she ll be the biggest star out of all the sisters

Not quite. She hasn't racked up the critics awards like Chalamet did in 2017/2018, nor has she got the amount of press he has but that's because the press was/is largely focused on his style or persona versus acting. Pugh is sublime and if people think she's great in Little Women they should see her other work, especially Lady MacBeth, Midsommar and Little Drummer Girl.

by Anonymousreply 313December 30, 2019 2:10 AM

I hate movies where you have to watch the length of the heroine's hair to tell if you are current, in a flash back or in the future.

This is one jumpy assed movie.

by Anonymousreply 314December 30, 2019 2:13 AM

Greta Gerwig's films are ludicrously overrated. I'll just hate-watch for Timmy's packing crotch.

by Anonymousreply 315December 30, 2019 3:05 AM

R310: The fact that some critics weren't amused by Timmy's hypocrisy doesn't mean the reviews of his acting are influenced. He received good reviews for Beautiful boy and he was mentioned continuously when they talk about the most interesting young actors.

That review is just the opinion of one critic

by Anonymousreply 316December 30, 2019 10:50 AM

I personally loved Timmy

by Anonymousreply 317December 30, 2019 3:30 PM

I am going to see it again this Thursday

by Anonymousreply 318December 30, 2019 6:55 PM

When Streep shows up there is an automatic cascade of applause.

by Anonymousreply 319December 30, 2019 11:55 PM

I love this photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320December 30, 2019 11:59 PM

It made $30 million already. It’s doing surprisingly well!

by Anonymousreply 321December 31, 2019 12:28 AM

I liked this version but the 1994 version is still superior.

I'm of two minds about Pugh. She's clearly too old for the younger Amy (she looks older than the other 3 sisters), but I enjoyed much of her performance anyway, though Gerwig's version of Amy departs a lot from Alcott. Kirsten Dunst captured Amy best. Samantha Mathis, who played the older Amy was rather wan, but she's not in the film much

No way is Eliza Scanlen better than Danes. Danes is the only Beth whose death really moved me.

Trini Alvarado was much more genuine and human than the limited Emma Watson.

I liked Ronan but I didn't think she was any better than Winona Ryder (and I thought she would be better).

Sarandon was better than Dern. Bale and Chalamet are on fairly equal footing, though I think Bale matured more convincingly as Laurie grew up.

The relationship between Jo and Friedrich is so underdeveloped in this new version that you really don't care about whether they wind up together or not.

I guess the jumping back and forth in time mode of storytelling gives Gerwig a rationale for her remake, but Gillian Armstrong's version is still the benchmark.

by Anonymousreply 322December 31, 2019 2:44 AM

R322, why no mention of moi?

by Anonymousreply 323December 31, 2019 2:49 AM

[quote] Not for a single second of one moment on any day in my life did I think of Christian Bale being as hot as I now find Timmy. Not for a nanosecond. Timothée Chalamet *IS* Theodore "Laurie" Lawrence.

Mary, calm down!

by Anonymousreply 324December 31, 2019 2:59 AM

If you figure there's a major remake of "Little Women" every twenty years, this means I have only between one or two left before I die.(I'm 51.)

I hope the next one stars Kylie Jenner's daughter Stormi.

by Anonymousreply 325December 31, 2019 3:02 AM

Fuck this adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 326December 31, 2019 3:05 AM

I really enjoyed this and really liked bratty Florence Pugh. She was hilarious, stole the show really. I thought Dern was fine, it was nice to see her more quiet and refined and I imagine a lot of what Marmee usually says came out of the mouths of the girls in this version.

by Anonymousreply 327December 31, 2019 9:33 AM

I saw it this evening with 2 sixty year old women & a 20 year old who has never read the book. The twenty year old hated it because the feminist tone was seemingly pulled back at the end. She was also lost with the way flashbacks were done because she hadnt read the book.

I am 49 and while i enjoyed the 90s rendition this version moved me far more. Clare Daines ugly cry acting as Beth in the 90s was way ham handed. I liked how they portrayed laurie as much more of a cad than in the 90s version. Timothy was great and had good chemistry with saorsie (sp). Pugh stole the movie and was absolutely superb. The seaside scenes were glorious. Laura Dern made no discernable mark on the movie, neither did emma watson.

The sixty year olds liked it but had not seen the 90s version. My advice at least read a summary of the book ahead of time since the movie made some tweaks/additions that may be real or could fantasy. All in all very enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 328December 31, 2019 10:14 AM

I thought the photo in r320 was of Justin Trudeau.

by Anonymousreply 329December 31, 2019 11:14 AM

Timmy looks beautiful. He looked amazing in this.

Everyone played their roles wonderfully, with Dern being the weakest link IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 330December 31, 2019 2:14 PM

Liked the PBS version better - any of them.

by Anonymousreply 331December 31, 2019 5:10 PM

The PBS versions are always slow.

by Anonymousreply 332December 31, 2019 6:23 PM

Im not a Timmay booster, but hot damn, I thought he was sexy af in this movie .. I was very attracted to him ... had zero interest in CMBYN, but he sold me during this role ...

by Anonymousreply 333January 1, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote] although I felt Laura Dern was at her weakest here

Have been hearing same from a number of reviewers and my friends (who have for the most part read the book & seen earlier movies)

The consensus is that it's not like she's horrible/wrecks the movie but she's not quite Marmee.

by Anonymousreply 334January 1, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote]Liked the PBS version better - any of them.

Julian Morris, who played Laurie's tutor John Brooke in the 2017 PBS version, is someone I would not have minded as Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 335January 1, 2020 12:53 AM

So, a question - if the Spanish journalists ever write about Timothee again, will it be more legible than whatever word salad is posted at R310?

by Anonymousreply 336January 1, 2020 12:58 AM

I love this movie

by Anonymousreply 337January 1, 2020 1:13 AM

I watched it the other day with my mother and we had a wonderful morning at the theater! I'm a big fan of Gerwig's Lady Bird and thought she followed it up with a deeply mature and relevant approach to an age-old narrative. I'd heard about the tricky crosscutting device she deploys here, so I was prepared for it going in. It was somewhat distracting at first, and occasionally unnecessary, but ultimately I got used to it, and actually thought it was quite effective during both of Beth's spells.

So... the cast is great across the board. Saorise's reliably excellent, but I thought her delivery of, "...but I'm so lonely," was beyond powerful, and really harmonized something about the character for me. It's an ensemble piece in my head, but Florence Pugh damn near stole the film from everyone else. She has an untouchable energy, and an effortless ability to act against anyone in any situation at any age. Loved her in Midsommar. Love her in this.

I thought this was probably as great a use of Emma Watson as we've gotten since The Bling Ring. I don't think she's a natural actress, but she has this studious energy and these striking features that made Meg an understandable character. I got her desire to be where the people are, to experience life the way classier women do... to be married and unashamed of tradition the way Jo is. Also, the scene of her doing an English accent was hilarious because she wasn't just using her British accent, she was acting as an American putting on the accent, and that's probably the most impressive feat of acting she's ever done.

Eliza Scanlen is PERFECT. A doll. An angel, even. Whatever. Like, I can harp on and on about all the other actresses in the film and their craft and whatever, but none of them have whatever truly ethereal, unaffected energy Eliza Scanlen's projecting all up and down this film. That scene where she's gifted the piano... it's so wonderfully played because all her sisters fuss over it, and she herself is stunned... she's having this out of body experience, and for a second she's not appreciative of the material object, but the generosity, and she has to leave and she has to hug Chris Cooper who's ALSO PERFECT in this movie. Whatever, Scanlen 2020.

Timothee Chalamet should probably only work with Greta Gerwig. He actually shouldn't do serious roles at all. Like... he needs to only do roles that harness his innate goofiness, because that's who he is. He's a gangly, awkward, brilliant little goofball who's saddled with statuesque bone structure and flawless hair, but that's a distraction. An illusion. He's actually hilarious and strange, and if he keeps doing shit like The King and fucking Beautiful Boy I'll be sorely disappointed.

Boy oh boy that James Norton is handsome. Meryl's legitimately good in this film I was surprised. Remember when Bob Odenkirk showed up as the father? Remember when Laura Dern said, "Bitch, how 'bout you stay yo ass at home," when he joked about the notion of moving to California?

Alexandre Desplat scored the fuck out of the movie. Yorick Le Saux shot the fuck out of the movie. Jacqueline Durran costumed the fuck out of the movie.

I liked this movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338January 1, 2020 1:26 AM

Anyone else find the screenplay's structure reminiscent of Pinter's adaptation of THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMEN with its fractured timeline and opposing endings (and also suggested by Ms. Alcott's real-life publishing experiences)? Watson's scene with Ronan, where she justifies her domestic choices vs. the latter's independence is, IMO, the key to the whole movie. You could also say the movie has its cake and eats it, too (or hedges its bets) by dramatizing both options. Is Friedrich part of Jo's real-life story or only a fictional episode of her novel LITTLE WOMEN? I suppose such heady considerations provide topics for cocktail conversation, but give me Wynona's film for the more satisfying and memorable emotional experience. As for Chalamet...he was ok. Norton IS handsome. Dern, alright. Florence Pugh is the REAL star and discovery of the film. The score isn't anything we haven't heard before.

by Anonymousreply 339January 1, 2020 1:53 AM

I was a little surprised to see Timmy’s pubes, but I didn’t mind.

by Anonymousreply 340January 1, 2020 1:55 AM

This movie is aesthetically breathtaking. Nearly every frame is picturesque and exquisite. The cinematographer, costume designers, the hair and make-up team, and set decorators all need to be bestowed with every award they're eligible for this year. The word "sumptuous" can feel sort of hyperbolic and overused at times, but this film is definitely deserving of that adjective. It makes me think of Jane Campion's 'The Piano' and Sofia Coppola's 'Marie Antoinette' in terms of sheer cinematic eye candy.

Nearly everyone in it gave a knockout performance in big and small ways regardless if they had a big or small role. r338 gave an excellent review.

I definitely think this film lives up to the stellar reviews and it feels like it's going to be a classic. I'm thrilled this came out when it did because this year's awards bait options otherwise feel very masculine and kind of cold, so it's nice to see this cleverly written, feminine film with heart and wit get some much deserved acclaim. Brava to Greta Gerwig, she's no flash in the pan.

by Anonymousreply 341January 1, 2020 2:43 AM

Greta Gerwig should be shot for having so little creativity that she shot a 20th remake of"Little Women".

by Anonymousreply 342January 1, 2020 2:49 AM

R338 liked the fuck out of that movie!

by Anonymousreply 343January 1, 2020 2:59 AM

R342 should be shot for having so little creativity that she made the 20th remake of that spicy take.

by Anonymousreply 344January 1, 2020 2:59 AM

Gerwigs version feels unique and different. I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 345January 1, 2020 3:19 AM

Good movie my only complaint was some of the flashback and fantasy sequences were a little confusing. I thought James Norton looked bad and was underused, all the men in the movie was accessories and one dimensional since it was about the women. It was the first time I liked Timothée Chalamet in a movie cast in his role as the wealthy son with no direction.

by Anonymousreply 346January 1, 2020 1:29 PM

Interesting that this is the first LITTLE WOMEN theatrical film version where all four sisters are played by non-Americans.

Some here have complained about Pugh being too old for Amy, but she's actually 2 years younger than Ronan. However, she does look older. I think the 1994 film had the right idea by casting two actresses as Amy, who is supposed to be @ 12 in the first part of the book.

Someone here was rhapsodizing about Desplat's score, but I thought it was only serviceable. Thomas Newman's score to the 1994 film is far better.

by Anonymousreply 347January 1, 2020 9:34 PM

I loved Kirsten Dunst in the 1994 movie. Her older version was dull.

by Anonymousreply 348January 2, 2020 12:18 PM

I took my sister to see it last night and she loved it. She hated Amy, and left speaking about how much she loved Laurie and she hates he ends up with Amy.

She never saw Timmy in anything before this and he was her favorite. She loved him in this, kept saying he is the cutest thing and the best.

by Anonymousreply 349January 3, 2020 12:51 PM

Timmy was very sexy in this. I dont know what happened, but I was very attracted to him in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 350January 3, 2020 1:40 PM

"Gerwigs version feels unique and different. I liked it."

The only "unique" thing about it really is the scrambling of the timeline of the story, which is distracting at first, but you eventually get used to it.

The 1994 film had a feminist edge to it (primarily from Susan Sarandon's Marmee), though this version has more of one, which is fine.

by Anonymousreply 351January 3, 2020 9:07 PM

r351, you have to keep watching the length of Ronan's hair.

It is distracting.

by Anonymousreply 352January 3, 2020 9:11 PM

I didn’t find the timeline shifting distracting or confusing at all.

by Anonymousreply 353January 4, 2020 3:23 AM

I read that the girls act like modern 'mean girls'. When I watch a period film I want to know what it was like back then- not a revisionist theory.

by Anonymousreply 354January 4, 2020 3:46 AM

R354 huh? You think women weren’t bitches to each other back in the 1800s? Oh boy.

by Anonymousreply 355January 4, 2020 6:15 AM

Women have always been mean to each other. That is not something in just modern day. And the Little Women were not even mean to each other for the most part. Amy and Jo had an odd relationship but otherwise they all were close.

by Anonymousreply 356January 4, 2020 12:01 PM

One of my favorite scenes was when Amy sees Laurie for the first time in Europe. So wonderful. I smiled the whole time. Florence and Timmy were wonderful in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357January 4, 2020 12:02 PM

I love that scene too

by Anonymousreply 358January 4, 2020 12:29 PM

R357 Was that actually filmed in Europe? I recall chatter about about McDonald’s French fires with images from them in the carriage.

by Anonymousreply 359January 4, 2020 3:48 PM

My issue with Laura Den is that she feels very contemporary and kept pulling me out of the 1860’s. I can’t criticize her acting but her presence didn’t fit with the rest of the movie and cast.

by Anonymousreply 360January 4, 2020 9:26 PM

It's so insane that OP is raving about this all-white film when on another thread he's complaining about Whitey.

by Anonymousreply 361January 4, 2020 9:27 PM

Laura Dern was miscast. She did not look or feel right.

Everyone else was fantastic, especially Florence Pugh, who stole every scene she was in. Timothee was phenomenal. He played Laurie as this womanizer, drunk playboy, and it worked. I never found him hot until i saw this, and I was so attracted to him!!!!

by Anonymousreply 362January 5, 2020 1:54 AM

The scene at r357 is wonderful. I love Timmy in this so much <3

Meryl was genuinely great in this. She was hysterical in every scene.

by Anonymousreply 363January 5, 2020 1:59 AM

Chalamet is winning hearts all over the world with this one

by Anonymousreply 364January 5, 2020 2:57 AM

I just watched it today and I can confidently state that it’s my favorite 2019 film. Absolutely wonderful. Greta Gerwig is the real deal, making this classic come alive. The whole cast was fantastic, and they each had their moment to shine. This should give a big career boost to Florence Pugh, who was perfect. I loved Ronan and Chalamet, and I found Dern really moving. I much prefer her performance in this to Marriage Story.

by Anonymousreply 365January 5, 2020 7:47 PM

It’s such a wonderful film

by Anonymousreply 366January 5, 2020 8:23 PM

Watched this today, I loved it! I was more drawn to Florence Pugh's Amy than Saoirse Ronan's Jo - Florence is a star. Also Timmy and French Daddy Louis Garrel had very little screen time together but I would like to see them star as quasi-incestuous lovers in a French romantic drama.

by Anonymousreply 367January 5, 2020 10:31 PM

Timmy is such a STAR

by Anonymousreply 368January 5, 2020 10:40 PM

I was very impressed with Eliza Scanlen. Her Beth seems an old soul. I appreciated her thoughtful and nuanced acting.

by Anonymousreply 369January 5, 2020 10:41 PM

My sister found Beth weird. But I loved her. She hated Amy. I loved her lol.

by Anonymousreply 370January 5, 2020 10:57 PM

I think Claire Danes captured a similar fragility as Beth in the '94 adaptation as well and she had a bit more to do than Eliza did, but Eliza definitely has that ethereal quality that was just captivating in this role and managed to convey a lot without being given a lot of space to do it. Having just re-watched the 1994 version today after not seeing it for 25 years, it was really impressive in its own right, but Greta took this all too familiar story and genuinely created some new magic with it. I agree with r365, this is probably my favorite film of 2019.

by Anonymousreply 371January 6, 2020 12:40 AM

I have to agree with the above poster who said that the Ronan-Garrell relationship was barely developed. The 1994 film did a much better job with that.

by Anonymousreply 372January 6, 2020 8:22 PM

Frederick was better in this one

by Anonymousreply 373January 6, 2020 8:25 PM

Actually Gabriel Byrne (the '94 Fredrich) is the correct age for the character. I love Garrell, but Gerwig departs from Alcott on that point.

by Anonymousreply 374January 6, 2020 8:34 PM

God I loved this movie! More than I ever thought I would.

I saw it 3x already. Once alone, once with my sister and once with my friend. I loved it.

My favorite scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375January 10, 2020 7:23 PM

Did anyone else cry when Beth died?

I also got teary eyed when Mr. Laurence was listening to Beth play and he is sitting on the stairs crying because it reminds him of his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 376January 11, 2020 12:28 PM

6 nominations:

Best Picture Best Actress (S. Ronan) Best Supporting Actress (F. Pugh) Best Adapted Screenplay (G. Gerwig) Best Original Score Best Costume Design

Greta was glaringly snubbed in the Best Director category, but despite that, I think is a respectable list of noms for this deserving film. I assume it's only really a contender in the Best Adapted Screenplay category and the Costume Design categories (both deserved). I'd love a surprise win by Pugh, but it seems like it's already Dern's to lose. Even though the score is by Alexandre Desplat and quite pleasant, I didn't find it particularly memorable and it seems doubtful that it will win in that category.

by Anonymousreply 377January 13, 2020 2:35 PM

As honored as this film is, it still feels like sort of an afterthought in terms of recognition this year, which is peculiar and unfortunate. It's gotten overall better reviews than many of the "frontrunners" and is a hit, but it's still not been a part of the conversation in a way that other films have been. There's an article on Vox about this that sums it up pretty well:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378January 13, 2020 4:29 PM

TERRIBLE movie, boring as shit, ridiculously updated in every respect, from the themes to the costumes. TERRIBLE! Timmy is the only thing worth watching in this "piece de merde." Guaranteed to become a completely dated laughable version of the story in about 15 years. You wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 379January 13, 2020 5:00 PM

It’s amazing. R379 is upset about nothing.

by Anonymousreply 380January 13, 2020 5:30 PM

"Amazing". Wow. The little things that blow your mind, R380

by Anonymousreply 381January 13, 2020 5:31 PM

It wasn’t small. It was fantastic. Way better than most of the Movies you liked I bet

by Anonymousreply 382January 13, 2020 5:36 PM

I don't get the appeal of this book of the many shows films about it. Who cares about what a bunch of repressed fraus had to say 100 years ago?

I guess this is DL after all so many fems here identify with the girls?

by Anonymousreply 383January 13, 2020 5:49 PM

R1

Don't do it.

Stay alive.

by Anonymousreply 384January 13, 2020 5:52 PM

"Who cares about what a bunch of repressed fraus had to say 100 years ago?"

That's why Ms. Gergwig updated the story to make the girls into 19th Century feminists who wear pants. The absurdity of it all is just hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 385January 13, 2020 6:42 PM

I love this movie!!!!

by Anonymousreply 386January 13, 2020 6:47 PM

Florence was amazing, but I do wish Timmy got nominated

by Anonymousreply 387January 13, 2020 8:17 PM

Thank you, r385. It can't hold a candle to the Gillian Armstrong production. The feminist rhetoric is heavy-handed and passe, pandering to contemporary sensibilities, as if these issues haven't been front and center for the last fifty years. Absurd, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 388January 13, 2020 11:11 PM

Oh. Fucking. Please. S

by Anonymousreply 389January 14, 2020 12:08 AM

The feminist pandering in this movie is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 390January 14, 2020 4:04 AM

There was feminism in the 1994 movie too.

by Anonymousreply 391January 14, 2020 4:20 AM

I’ve seen a ton of cheap feminist pandering over the past few years (and it’s the pandering I dislike, not the feminism), but this version of Little Women isn’t anything like that, unless you think anything that deals with situations particular to women is feminist pandering.

by Anonymousreply 392January 14, 2020 4:33 AM

R387

One day, Timmy'll have one.

I was 27.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393January 14, 2020 6:34 AM

I much preferred the Norma Shearer-Joan Crawford version where none of the sisters died.

by Anonymousreply 394January 14, 2020 9:07 PM

Florence wowwed me

by Anonymousreply 395January 14, 2020 9:46 PM

R357, holy shit that was millennial chatter obscene- tell me the whole movie isn’t made in a loud, obnoxious modern cadence like that?

by Anonymousreply 396January 17, 2020 12:52 AM

^^^ Yes, yes, yes.

by Anonymousreply 397January 17, 2020 2:20 AM

It was great. Some of you are so annoying.

by Anonymousreply 398January 17, 2020 2:21 AM

People here Just like hate on things that other love cos it make them special in I am not Like OTerS Girls kind of way. Lets Just pity them for how pathetic they are

by Anonymousreply 399January 18, 2020 4:53 AM

God I loved this movie. I may rewatch it tomorrow. It popped in my head.

by Anonymousreply 400April 10, 2021 6:31 AM

"There was feminism in the 1994 movie too."

No, it was humanistic, not narcissistic like the latest retread.

by Anonymousreply 401April 11, 2021 8:05 PM

I loved it, thoughtful, inventive and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 402April 11, 2021 8:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!