Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

D-I-S-C-O

If disco was popular again, would you go [back] out dancing?

I sincerely hate the fact that disco died...I feel like I'm the only one at 26 years old who wants it to come back, who wants the debauchery of Studio 54 and Paradise Garage to come back...it seems like reading about it that this was the only time that people were actually sincere to one another - straight or gay.

Oh, and if you had to compare today's artists to artists of then, who remotely comes close to them (if that former artist is dead, like the Queen of Disco Donna Summer)? Like for me, no one has Donna's voice, but as far as the following of her, I think Beyoncé comes close.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2019 11:38 PM

Disco never died; it continued to exist as "dance music"

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 5:19 PM

Nope. I would like to to back to the 90s, when clubs played house and trance music. It was an evolution of disco, and what I liked is that unlike with disco, dancing became freeform and improvisational. I don’t like the conformity of prescribed dance moves. In the 90s club culture, PLUR was the rule—Peace, Love, Unity and Respect—and individuality was prized without competitiveness. It was a really joyful environment for me.

I was only clubkid adjacent. I didn’t take any drugs and I didn’t go all out with the costumery. But the big warehouse clubs I went to were so mixed and coming from a nightmarish high school experience, it was really extraordinary to go somewhere where it didn’t matter if you were gay or what you looked like or how you dressed or how you danced.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 5:28 PM

R1, yeah...but a la David Morales' "Needin' U" sampling "Let Me Down Easy" by Rare Pleasure. I know that either way you could still dance to either song, but I have a preference for nostalgia, I guess. And I feel like the '70s were easier than the '90s. I think that the '90s only brought forward a booming economy, but hardly anything else music wise. Like think about it - when did you go to the club in the '90s and go, "I have to go find this song immediately...who sings this...?!"

R2, PLUR...I totally forgot about that. I guess people my age today are concerned about when the beat drops rather than real DJ talents.

I say all this with the knowledge that there is a club in Chicago called DISCO that actually plays disco music for people when open. However, I've never heard of any movie and/or reality star attending.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 5:50 PM

What R1 said. Dance music will never die.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 5:57 PM

R4, not as long as I'm alive, it shan't. But...where do you go to hear it, haha? Bloody Ibiza, the Canaries?! I feel like the UK gives disco more respect than we do as Americans and we're essentially the ones who created it.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 5:59 PM

[quote] it seems like reading about it that this was the only time that people were actually sincere to one another - straight or gay.

Could you explain what you mean by that a little more?

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 6:00 PM

it was a great mood lifter. Everybody now is sour puss and retreating. Yes 90's (early -ish) was a great period R2,

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 6:01 PM

I love the night life!

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 6:01 PM

I like to boogie!

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 6:01 PM

Empathize OP. It astounds me that so few kids dance nowadays. All the clubs in Manhattan closed. A few sporadic ones happen in Brooklyn but nowhere near the frequency or crowds of 90s NYC. Pretty much every gay man went dancing on weekends. Now they barely go to bars. Coffee shops and Grindr.

I remember watching dancing die in the 90s. By 2000, bottle service, the police state and the general preference for wealth and posturing over fun and creativity replaced a fun night of dancing by yourself or with a group of friends. I never thought gay men would stop dancing - but they have. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 6:02 PM

The young PrEPpers will start dancing again once their latent late-stage syphilis kicks in and gets them all agitated.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 6:04 PM

Never liked clubbing or dancing.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 6:11 PM

R12 Thanks for letting us know.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 6:17 PM

R13 you're welcome. Though you might also like to know I'm good enough to have danced on stage and been asked to do choreography. You're welcome again.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 6:26 PM

I love to dance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 6:36 PM

Disco is trickling back in- last week Sam Smith released his cover of Donna Summer's I Feel Love, Dua Lipa's most recent single is most decidedly disco.

Hopefully the pop starlets will pick it up and we can enjoy a full on disco revival in 2020.

PS- Madonna has a disco track on her new album called God Control but she's old so it won't matter.

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2019 7:03 PM

Agree there is some good dance music trickling out. But I NEVER see millennials dancing. Requires not worrying about being videotaped and made to look a fool on social media,

by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 7:14 PM

R17, like what as far as something coming out that's almost similar to disco? And I can agree, you don't see a lot of millennials (save for myself) dancing. Even the ones who have music theory knowledge/history of knowing BPMs and stuff. They're scared and it's ridiculous to see them on their phones rather than dancing nights away, regardless of being drunk or not.

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2019 8:26 PM

DISCO: the music of Donald Trump and Baby Boomers. That alone merits it being relegated to the Dustbin of History.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2019 8:31 PM

The late 70s were a fun time to be young and gay. Post Vietnam, pre-Regan and pre-AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2019 8:36 PM

R19, actually Trump isn't a fan of disco. He prefers music in the vein of Carole King - who clearly didn't do anything disco. And really, the age argument? GTFOWT...

R20, that's what I'm saying! However, hardly few think about that at all.

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2019 8:52 PM

Honey, young'un, OP, dear, Studio 54 and Paradise Garage were not the same beast. Dance music continued unabated through the decades. All you have to do is discover the genres and DJs the make you fly - and go to those clubs, my dear! Right now, l' embarras de richesses, for dance music in clubs - perhaps only in Europe and South America, maybe not in your podunk town. And you are 26! Oh, I would love to go back in time to 26 to go out and dance all night. Get your body to Berlin or Budapest or somewhere. Stop complaining. Stop whining.

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2019 9:04 PM

thanks to the invention of the internet, Disco will never die!!!

Also, Disco morphed into EDM.

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2019 11:34 PM

It's very true what was stated above - almost every gay man went out to bars or clubs on Fri and Sat night. Dancing was the main thing.

It HAS to come back. I've always wondered what would happen if I opened a club for only gay men 40 and over. You don't really find much dancing in Palm Springs or in Wilton Manors - which is very odd.

The only gasp of what dancing used to be like is Oscar's Sunday afternoons in Palm Springs. It gets routine - but that is such a throwback event.

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2019 11:45 PM

[quote]f disco was popular again, would you go [back] out dancing?

Honey, anyone who danced disco when it was popular has Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Gout, replaced hips and knees and probably can't remember how to dance.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2019 11:56 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2019 11:57 PM

I loved going out dancing and did it regularly.

You could go dancing on a Friday or Saturday night in the East Village with an incredibly mixed crowd as late as the mid-'00s, and now it's all gone because the gays are at home on apps and the straights are at home watching Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2019 12:27 AM

I still can't deal with the fact that Credence Clearwater Revival never had a number 1 hit, but KC and the Sunshine Band (!) had FIVE (almost six).

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2019 12:58 AM

R28, wasn't "Proud Mary" a hit...

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2019 12:59 AM

R29, CCR actually had 5 No. 2 hits (tied with the Carpenters), but they never hit the top spot. KC di, though....repeatedly. No accounting for taste.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2019 1:05 AM

R29, CCR actually had 5 No. 2 hits (tied with the Carpenters), but they never hit the top spot. KC di, though....repeatedly. No accounting for taste.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2019 1:05 AM

There was a sunday early evening tea dance thing in Wilton Manors - the main club. Was fun. Lot of older guys letting loose without worrying about being judged. Hate Ft Lauderdale but that night made me want to go back, good music, no pretension, people actually dancing of all ages and sizes.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2019 6:08 AM

Dancing was fun and good exercise.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2019 6:31 AM

r28 - r31, CCR had two #1 albums, though, [italic]Green River[/italic] in 1969 and [italic]Cosmo's Factory[/italic] in 1970. Most people I knew who listened to them bought the albums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2019 7:26 AM

R32 - I believe you're talking about Hunters. I did go a few years ago and it was an awesome throwback - just like Oscar's Sunday tea dance in Palm Springs. It's only great because it's filled with older gays who remember what it was like.

Apparently, they can only bring themselves to do it once a week before 7pm at their ages.

That used to be the norm though on Fri and Sat nights.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2019 5:00 PM

"...it seems like reading about it that this was the only time that people were actually sincere to one another - straight or gay. "

Well if your idea of sincerity is people saying to each other "I want to blow you in the alley" or "I want some of your drugs", and getting a "Hell, yeah!" in response.

Look, I'm old, I was a nerdy uncool teenager during the Disco Era, and FYI it was definitely not a party to whom everyone was invited! It was strictly a party for the beautiful and cool, and even the beautiful and cool needed to be slutty and fond of drugs to be part of the in crowd. Really, from the outside it looked like any other "cool" scene; a lot of people desperately trying to look cool enough to belong, and those who were actually cool ruthlessly excluding those who weren't. Quite literally, like high school on drugs.

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2019 11:27 PM

R36 - a lot of truth to what you said about having to be slutty and drugs/alcohol. But, at least people were out and socializing. Beautiful people always have it better in social situations.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2019 11:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!