Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

UK Teachers Are Fleeing

I'm in my 5th year teaching abroad. I tell people I'd rather clean toilets McDonald's than teach in the UK again and I'm only half joking.

I could coped with the mediocre salary. I grew up poor and money is not my main motivation. I could have coped with the long hours, I'm not afraid of hard work. I could have coped with the pointless targets, micro management and the endless meaningless data management. I could have coped with low budgets, crappy equipment and buildings falling apart. I could have coped with 35 kids in a class with no additional help for those with special needs.

I couldn't cope with all of this rolled together at the same time and I especially couldn't cope with the pressure and stress put on children to pass meaningless tests. The mental health time bomb we've created is terrifying.

I honestly don't know why anyone would do that job in the UK. They don't deserve you. The fact we've allowed education to get to the stage of half days, overflowing classrooms and non existent SEN provision shows that we simply don't value our children, let alone educators. Get out while you can

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2019 3:32 AM

As a parent of 2 children at one of the leading international schools in Singapore, I would note that gimmicks such as the "bring your own horse" are nonsense.

What I pay for is 1. Small class sizes (12 in my 6 year old's class, 9 in my 4 year old's) 2. Two teachers in each classroom 3. The assurance that the underclass disruptive kids are nowhere near the school, and 4. The assurance that my child will never ever see a drug dealer or abuser and that if one were caught near the school they are taken away, put on trial and executed. 22 grand (x2) well spent in my view.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 8:47 AM

I hear you loud and clear. My partner's mother was a teacher, and she took an early retirement a few years ago for exactly the reasons that you have stated. She says that it's one of the best decisions she ever made.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 9:08 AM

You mean all British schools aren't like Hogwarts?

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 1:07 PM

Kids taking meaningless exams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 1:08 PM

My aunt also retired the minute she was able to because she couldn't teach anymore, with all the bullshit that goes on in schools now.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 3:07 PM

With it being the Guardian, it'll be down to the Tories with only a cursory mention of discipline issues.

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 3:40 PM

It’s the parents too. Gen X parents - for instance Will and Jada - are the ones who brought up the delicate Gen Z - Willow and Jayden.

Parents don’t supervise or at least assist children with homework. They feed them shit. The don’t discipline them to behave in public and get on with teachers and peers at school. And then they attend school and let themselves down.

I read one piece where the principal spend home a letter requesting parents do not drop children off in nighties and bathrobes and slippers but to wear actual clothing and shoes. Large numbers of parents were deeply offended, wore their oldest, nastiest PJs and boxers, informed the Daily Mail and parades themselves in front of the cameras at the school doors.

They couldn’t even be bothered to throw on pair of jeans, put on some flip flops and brush their teeth.

And these children are expected to thrive in an environment with testing?

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 3:49 PM

Only the good ones

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2019 1:15 PM

OP, it's just as bad in America. Teachers are treated like shit. They are blamed for everything and anything. Many teachers with Masters Degrees are barely making more than 40k and they still have to buy school supplies for their students. It's a messed up environment to be a teacher. My friend has been a teacher for about 25 years and she always says how No Child Left Behind changed everything, for the worse. Teaching was much better before that.

by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2019 1:19 PM

R7, spot on. Parents these days don't want to fucking raise or discipline their kids. There are no boundaries. It's like ALL parents are friends with their children now, no matter how young they are. Recently, there were pics of Pink and her husband at a memorial in Berlin dedicated to Jews killed in the holocaust and their kids were running around all over the place. Pink got defensive when people online complained about the disrespectful behavior and she responded with this: "These two children are in actuality Jewish, as am I and the entirety of my mothers family,” the singer wrote in the caption. “The very person who constructed this believed in children being children, and to me this is a celebration of life after death. Please keep your hatred and judgment to yourselves.” If those were my kids, I would have told them to shut up and be quiet. If they kept on running, I would have slapped them across the face. There is no excuse for people not setting boundaries in environments like that. I cannot imagine the kind of shitty kids teachers have to deal with all day.

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2019 1:26 PM

R9 what kind of teacher doesn't make 40k?

If the aren't the need to move.

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2019 3:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!