Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hong Kong on the Brink of a Revolution? Will Australia, US, take in Refugees?

Expecting brutal crackdown from China with mass executions, re-education camps. Thousands of refugees need new homes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2019 3:13 AM

Here's a link to the full story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 8:34 AM

Here's a link to the full story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 8:34 AM

Looks like the people of Hong Kong are really fighting for their independence now.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 10:20 AM

As long as Trump is President, there will be no help from the US, as he is still bargaining for a Trump resort on the mainland. And, of course, nothing gets in the way of his personal business dealings.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 1:04 PM

China will and always was going to crush anybody who rises up against them.

Hong Kong belongs to China and any "agreement" made by them isn't worth anything.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 5:13 PM

China uses facial recognition. Already protesters have been severely beaten and even killed. Those that don't leave the country ASAP while it's still possible may face execution or reeducation camps like the thousands of Chinese Ungyrs (sp) are currently enduring in an attempt at cultural genocide.

R4, Why would Trump want one of his resorts on China's mainland? I wouldn't trust China to be consistently pro-US and to be economically solid. Why do you think so many of China's elite are moving to Australia, US, and elsewhere? Ask them about China's potential economic bubbles, empty cities built in a vain attempt to shore up the economy, and reporting based on paper models?

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 5:24 PM

R2, R3, Appreciate your posting help but realize the channel sometimes reports updates live from Hong Kong and other times on Israel's increasing violence with Hamas, Iran, et al.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 5:26 PM

America isn't taking in refugees. Canada would be a better option.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 5:35 PM

Australia needs more Chinese immigrants!

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 5:40 PM

Let them to to Taiwan.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 5:42 PM

R8, Agree Canada would be a better option but would the US be amenable to Chinese rather than those from the Middle East or Africa? Chinese protesters have been repeatedly filmed singing Christian songs as well as The Star Spangled Banner. Guarantee church groups across the US would step up to sponsor Hong Kong natives.

Also we see both young men and women, most well educated, in prime health for long-term employment in the US. Would the many Chinese-American communities in the US offer relocation assistance? Continual need for bilingual workers in Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 5:46 PM

R10, Thought that there was cultural differences as well as prejudicial attitudes between the residents of Hong Kong and Taiwan.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 5:48 PM

No thanks we have enough.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 6:40 PM

We're full too! Hey, have you thought about Singapore?

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 7:01 PM

Poland took in a lot of Viet Namese refugees because they were hard-working Catholics. Maybe they'd be willing to take in Christian Honk Kong ex-pats.

US used to have a very heavy screening process for new refugees to determine their loyalty and commitment to America. Staffed by those who were themselves former refugees, the program included 2-weeks of full-time classes of acculturation to America's way of life and values. Yes the program leaders and participants were straight and gay, Jews and Muslims, Catholics and atheists, all in the same classroom. Regular follow-ups from staff solved any issues.

Program ended under Obama.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 7:37 PM

[Quote] Program ended under Obama.

šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2019 5:36 AM

Hong Kong will endure martial law and a curfew starting Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2019 7:00 AM

Exodus of foreign students urged, Chinese national students' exit implemented by officials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2019 7:07 AM

No, probably not very likely. Canada may take more of the very wealthy ones though for sure. They'll end up in BC.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2019 7:47 AM

Australia hates refugees, but if said refugees are educated townies and there are hot Asian chicks in the mix, expect Oz to open her legs.

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2019 9:41 AM

Live feed with commentary in English.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2019 10:16 AM

Re earlier feed in the previous linked video,

Bombs are being made on PolyU campus, student says A secondary school graduate who does not want to be named says bombs are being made and stored on the Polytechnic University campus. The bombs are attached to a gas device similar to the one used in hotpot cooking, and can be detonated using a lighter to set a fire.

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2019 10:17 AM

Australia will assure you she has an elegant sufficiency of refugees and immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2019 10:22 AM

This is so sad. We need to deal with China.

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2019 10:27 AM

R24 how though? They have a massive military, billions of people they are prepared to use as cannon fodder, are rich and powerful. Who can deal with them?

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2019 10:33 AM

UN did not intervene when China sent it's Muslim population of Unghyrs to reeducation camps and destroyed its mosques.

China's food supply is in danger due to widespread pig disease. What's next?

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2019 10:36 AM

That's what's sad and worrying. They really should've been dealt with back in the '70s at the latest. I don't think the US would even capable of doing anything now. Maybe nuke them as one last triumph.

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2019 10:36 AM

R24/27 I think the only people capable are Russia. Because they are equally unethical regarding human rights. And hardy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2019 10:48 AM

I see China as being a bigger threat than Russia. If the US and Russia could put aside their differences and temporarily team up to at least do something like partition China in a few smaller countries that would be great.

Don't see it happening, obviously. And don't want to think what the next century has in store for the freedom fighters in Hong Kong or the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2019 10:54 AM

Yes. More plague, please!

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2019 10:57 AM

I don't really see Russia as a threat. I think DL tends to overrate that for reasons. Unlike China, Russia's population is aging and declining, there's huge brain drain, and most emigrants have no loyalty to it, the economy is stagnant and has already contracted significantly since 2013, and there are a lot of internal separatist movements that they have trouble controlling and are easy to exploit.

Even their efforts to influence other countries they can't manage as well as China.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2019 11:06 AM

Australia has plenty of HK expats already. So as long as they come in under family re-union, students, skilled, business migrants etc they can be unofficial refugees without upsetting our Chinese overlords.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2019 11:16 AM

The reality is China interferes much more with Australia and NZ politics than Russia in US.

And mainland China is quite homophobic. Not as much Russia maybe, but that's a depressingly low bar. HK somewhat better.

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2019 11:41 AM

We all know these people will have no where to go. They know it, too. It's one reason they're fighting with all they have and don't care about the repurcussions; they're at the end of their line.

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2019 11:47 AM

R11 is right - Chinese/ Hong Kong refugees would make far better immigrants than those from the Middle East or Africa. We have a lot of Chinese migrants here in my country, and they're great, hard working, law abiding on the whole, try to assimilate, I like them. We have had more problems from the 2000 or so Somalians here than roughly 200,000 Chinese

Bring em on I say

by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2019 6:02 PM

The students here are the only ones rioting. The general population is getting sick of it.

When one 80 year old man told a student to rethink the harm he may be doing, the students set him on fire.

They are doing themselves more harm than good.

by Anonymousreply 36November 14, 2019 7:22 PM

R36 thatā€™s disgusting. I have work bested if itā€™s just the younger ones who are really opposed to China.

by Anonymousreply 37November 14, 2019 8:33 PM

No more Chinese. I work with a ton and they're awful. And depressing.

by Anonymousreply 38November 14, 2019 9:16 PM

They are depressing.

by Anonymousreply 39November 14, 2019 9:46 PM

Such a rigid, sour culture.

by Anonymousreply 40November 14, 2019 9:56 PM

Would be nice if it spread to the Mainland (oops, I mean Control Central).

by Anonymousreply 41November 14, 2019 10:01 PM

There isn't a corner in this world that's not already saturated with Chinese. They're majorly disliked everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 42November 14, 2019 10:27 PM

R38, R42, Are you grouping those from Hong Kong with Mainland Chinese and Taiwanese?

by Anonymousreply 43November 14, 2019 10:31 PM

No but I imagine much of Hong Kong is filled with mainland Chinese now.

by Anonymousreply 44November 14, 2019 10:38 PM

What r5 said. China will crush the rebellion, easily. No one will want to take in refugees because doing business with China is too lucrative for the world.

Hong Kong was a sparsely populated island before Britain got it in the Treaty of Nanjing at the end of the Opium War. Britain developed Hong Kong into a lucrative colonial outpost but it's always been geographically part of China. It's hard to fault the Chinese for thinking that the territory belongs to them. I am sympathetic to the people of Hong Kong but this really isn't our problem. Hong Kong is part of China and the people have to figure out a way to work within the system or bring it down. Hong Kong itself can't do the latter.

by Anonymousreply 45November 14, 2019 10:43 PM

If they do the executions right there won't be any refugees.

by Anonymousreply 46November 14, 2019 11:10 PM

They need to throw everyone of them into a vat of acid, like the dude who died on Bold and Beautiful yesterday lol.

by Anonymousreply 47November 14, 2019 11:21 PM

China sending troops to Hong Kong without HK government's request in violation of legal agreements between the two countries. This will not end well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 16, 2019 5:18 PM

YouTuber occasionally broadcasts live from Hong Kong with English translations.

Chinese military are cleaning up the bricks and barriers blocking the streets of Hong Kong, originally laid down by the protesters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2019 5:38 PM

These foreigners should be looking after their own messes. We have nothing to do with their internal issues.

by Anonymousreply 50November 17, 2019 12:57 AM

To those who say we need to deal with China I say we should have. You do realize the Korean war that was just the precursor - the military wanted to go clear into China. Secondly if we were going to attack China we should have done so before 1975. Why? Because that's when China got nuclear weaponry. Now regards Hong Kong - you have to remember they were a British protectorate until the 1990's when it was ceded back to China. I think what we're witnessing now will be a huge black eye and loss of face for China as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 51November 17, 2019 1:31 AM

I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 52November 17, 2019 1:32 AM

The Chinese will not honor any "legal agreement".

These protesters are fodder. Declared terrorists they will either be killed or hauled off to "reeducation camps" and will never be heard from again.

This was always going to happen.

I've been to Hong Kong. Nice while it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2019 1:24 PM

So will we see more and more Hong Kongers emigrating between now and 2047? And will China just sit back and watch that happen?

by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2019 4:51 AM

I think that China is more of a threat than Russia as well. The danger with China is that they donā€™t care about putting on airs like Russia. Putin knows how to play the game, heā€™s cold and calculated. Chinaā€™s a loose cannon. They donā€™t care about being openly tyrannical and violating human rights, and they wonā€™t even attempt to lie about what theyā€™re doing because they know that nobody will stand up to them. Russia at least maintains some sort of sadistic civility and doesnā€™t go to extremes as quickly as China will.

Iā€™d rather have a calculated enemy than an unpredictable one. A calculated enemy can be outsmarted and defeated. An unpredictable enemy doesnā€™t need to be outsmarted because they have no reservations about blowing up everything and everyone to get what they want.

by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2019 5:19 AM

The xenophobia here is disgusting. I hate playing high and mighty, but for Godā€™s sake these people are refugees from a tyrannical government thatā€™s putting them in concentration camps. If you lot had been alive in the 30ā€™s and 40ā€™s, would you have turned Jews fleeing the Holocaust away because they were ā€œdepressingā€? I hope that when the inevitable persecution of gays happens again that you assholes are turned away at the doorstep, a realization of the ā€œFirst They Came Forā€ poem, and a bitter and just irony.

Sickening. Youā€™re all cruel and disgusting people.

by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2019 5:24 AM

Were you born in Hong Kong, R56?

by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2019 5:26 AM

R56 = HK student

by Anonymousreply 58November 18, 2019 7:31 AM

R56 100% of everything you claim are all lies. You have zero evidence for your claims, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 59November 18, 2019 7:45 AM

Who will take in the Chilean twinks?

by Anonymousreply 60November 18, 2019 8:08 AM

Hong Kong is a small city (small for China) and it's not even that important anymore.

Until the 90s, both Hong Kong and even tiny Macau were important to China. In fact after the Carnation Revolution in Portugal, Portugal tried to give it back to China and they didn't want it. They had greater benefit by letting the Portuguese and British operate these cities.

But Hong Kong is close to Canton(Guangzhou) and Shenzhen (a city of 13 million that became a city in 1979) and those two cities are fast closing the gap on Hong Kong, so fast, Hong Kong is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Macau at least has tourism and gambling to keep it afloat.

by Anonymousreply 61November 22, 2019 3:05 AM

Hong Kong and Shenzhen have close business, trade, and social links.

There are nine crossing points on the boundary between Shenzhen and Hong Kong on either sides of each of these ports of entry are road and/or rail transportation.

by Anonymousreply 62November 22, 2019 3:08 AM

Aren't the Chinese buying huge areas of land in Africa?

by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2019 3:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!