Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Life in an SRO Hotel

Has anyone here ever lived or stayed in a rooming house or sro hotel for a long time or even just a night? What’s it really like? I still it as skanky as people say or a good way to save on rent?

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 9:18 AM

It has its ups and downs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 4:48 AM

It's usually government-sponsored housing for people who would otherwise be homeless, so I don´t think you can stay there for just one night or to save money.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 4:49 AM

A private room in an SRO would be a luxury. Young folks are moving into $800 a month cardboard boxes in LA today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 4:49 AM

SRO's are generally not cheap. The only advantage to them is you pay by the week and there's no deposit to move in. When I first moved to Berkeley in the 80's with no money I was able to transition from sleeping on a friend's couch to an SRO.

Meanwhile, there was no access to a kitchen and there were two bathrooms per floor. Each room did have it's own sink. It was very much a hand to mouth existence. Not exactly a money saving situation.

Even the well maintained ones were more or less dumps.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 4:57 AM

What's an SRO hotel? The only SRO I know of is Standing Room Only.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 6:51 AM

SRO = Single room occupancy

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 8:52 AM

SRO = Standing Room Only

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 9:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!