Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who the fuck are these people living in San Francisco and why would they want to pay those prices??

People are paying up to $3k for a studio and a median 1 bedroom is $3700. Wtf is going on?! How is it ok to do this? There can’t possibly be that many people living there with those prices.

I know someone that had to move because he couldn’t afford his rent, and he makes over $100k a year! This is absurd.

This is what will end up happening in LA, NYC, Miami also. My friend said he thinks Miami is soon, as he heard the rents are going up like crazy there recently, as more and more people keep moving there.

Also, why do people think more people is a good thing? I see people on here brag how NYC has over 7 million people. Baby, that’s a BAD thing. When the population keeps going up in one place the economy will begin to go down eventually. And the prices will go up with the wages staying the same.

It’s never good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2019 6:08 PM

What do you suggest happen instead? Cities are where the big careers and professional fields are.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 3:48 AM

Maybe you've heard of the tech industry, its headquartered there.

There are more people making a ton of money than there is housing. Ergo, prices go through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 3:48 AM

We are headed for a reckoning real soon. It won't be climate change that thins the herd. It will be economic collapse coupled with extreme overpopulation. For the survivors though, rent willingness be cheap and wages will be high.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 3:49 AM

R2 that is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 3:52 AM

I have a rich friend from the UES in Manhattan (he comes from a line of rich family from there, as his family goes back generations in NYC) and he says there is going to be an economic crisis in the next 5-10 years and many of the people that are sitting comfy in this country and make excuses for shit like this are gonna start to feel what the poor are feeling now.

He said there is also an economic crisis coming to Italy.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 3:56 AM

Open a book. It's called supply and demand. The SF housing crisis is literally a textbook example.

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 3:56 AM

It’s called GREED.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 3:57 AM

I see all of these threads about people bitching about life in cities, supposedly from people in a suburb or small town, but they never offer any suggestions to make things better?

Life in small towns is not great either. A lot of small towns are dying from rusting up or depression.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 4:00 AM

R8, sweetie. I am born and bred NYC, and still here.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 4:02 AM

There used to be nice paying jobs without an education. These mills and factories that could be in smalltowns.

In the modern economy most good jobs require specialized education, and these jobs are heavily concentrated in cities.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 4:02 AM

They went to college and got a good job and can afford that. What's wrong with it? SF is an awesome city.

You can't be cheap your whole life and why be a bush (Chicago) when you can be a majestic redwood (SF)

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 4:13 AM

What a ridiculous comment, R4.

Who do you believe is most to blame for the price increase?

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 4:24 AM

I've been in SF 20 years -- make a decent salary (but much less than the tech kids get offered right off the bat), not in the tech industry, bought a little condo 20 years ago and am lucky and recognize I'm incredibly privileged. Despite the changes the tech industry has wrought, despite the problems (homelessness and all aspects of our housing crisis), there's no place in the US I'd rather live. (Plenty of places overseas, but that's a different string.). Why? 1. There's no place better to be gay in terms of political clout and in terms of social inclusion -- even before gay people because cool, you could just be gay anywhere in the City and no one cared. That's a tremendous amount of background stress gone. 2. Despite our inability to figure out homelessness, SF is a birthplace of lots of excellent social experiments (environmental and social justice initiatives) that can happen here and few other places. 3. It's sex positive. Where else does the Folsom Street Fair happen every year, with the enthusiastic endorsement of the City government? 4.Best restaurants in the country, from Mission Burritos where 8 bucks for a meal that will last you a whole day, on up the price scale, in just about every neighborhood for just about any kind of cuisine you want. 5. It's incredibly easy to escape to wonderful, beautiful places. I can get across the Golden Gate Bridge from my place in 20 minutes and there's gorgeous, uninterrupted protected areas extending up to Oregon. 6. Within a few hours, I can be in wine country, the northern Redwoodsm, Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, Lassen, the Monterey Peninsula, the California deserts, Big Sur.

There's more. I've been to just about every state and just about every contending location, and there's no place I'd rather be. (Except Melbourne, or Madrid, or Cape Town,, or...)

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 4:41 AM

This has already happened in Manhattan, but Brooklyn and (lately) Queens can absorb the overflow. Some neighborhoods in Queens (like Sunnyside) are filling up with techie/millennial types. Where do you go if you can't afford SF? Oakland?

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 4:56 AM

If you're going to San Francisco,

Be sure to sell your plasma and your hair.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 5:12 AM

[quote] 3. It's sex positive

Why are the bathhouses still shut down since the mid-80s?

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2019 5:18 AM

[quote] Where do you go if you can't afford SF? Oakland?

There's a slight discount in Oakland, but that's become a homeless paradise.

Unfortunately, unlike NYC, there's literally no place to hide if you are price conscious. Even suburbs an hour away are overpriced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 5:22 AM

Because Grindr, R16

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2019 5:23 AM

I miss my two-bedroomapartment on Connecticut & 18th with 180-degree views of the city from Twin Peaks to the Bay Bridge for $318 a month

by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2019 5:49 AM

R5, did your friend make his predictions in 2007 or earlier? Because what you’re saying already happened. It’ s called 2008.

Also, as long as people can afford 4K/monthly due to a steady influx of college educated graduates flocking to the Bay Area for careers in tech, prices will never go down.

You think anyone in SF local, city and county government gives one flying fuck that people cannot afford to in their city? If you aren’t sure , ask the hoards of homeless people.

Rinse repeat.

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2019 5:50 AM

Sick of white people always making excuses.

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 4:07 PM

Imagine spending $3700 a month to walk out of your building only to step in human shit. SF is an absolute dump.

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2019 4:09 PM

R13 I understand your defense, but not a single thing you listed is a selling point in 2020 when every other city in America offers the same thing (and better).

SF is, quite literally, a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2019 4:18 PM

I bought a loft near what was AT&T Park in 2009, a repo, for 359k. Sold in 2013 for almost 800k. It's worth 1.2 now. I made the mistake of leaving San Francisco for LA, made some bad investments, and regret it every day of my life knowing I can't afford to move back.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2019 5:55 PM

[quote]Who the fuck are these people

Morons.

by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2019 6:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!