Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Think it's time we revisit "American History X" (1998) and the brilliant performance by Edward Norton

Seriously, that Oscar belonged to Edward Norton, and that was the second time that his Oscar was robbed.

Onto the film, it is one of my favorites of all time, and one I can watch on repeat. It is dark, twisted, scary, but honest, real, and necessary to show the reality of racists in America. I know that many feel Derrick's growth and change happened too fast and unrealistically, but he was not always a racist. He was pretty open minded and wanting to grow and learn in his youth, but it was the seed that his father planted that started his change. After that, his father being killed by a black man set his brain off and he hated black people after that. While the change happened "too fast", it was no unrealistic for him to change and grow and realize some black people are bad, and others are fine.

Every scene in this film is so well acted (the final scene was a little off for Norton, but otherwise his performance is perfect), even Furlong was top notch in his scenes, and Fairuza Balk was amazing as the girlfriend.

I loved Beverly D'Angelo in this, and I always wondered how she allowed her sons to get so far gone (well Danny was not that bad, but Derrick really became lost). You would think she would have taken issue with her husband installing this racist bullshit into her kids brains (she seemed like she was not racist at all, same as her liberal daughter).

The violence was hard to stomach, but... it happens.

Fantastic Film, and Norton deserved that Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2019 1:41 AM

PS every time I see this scene in the film, I say to myself, "this is exactly what a dinner with a group on DLers discussing Politics would be like... two opposing sides going at it, with maybe someone in the middle playing Devils Advocate"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 12:56 AM

My favorite film of all time. Also, Norton is my favorite actor, so, there is that.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 12:58 AM

LOVE the shower scene !

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 1:09 AM

It's a movie I haven't been able to re-watch, to be honest. šŸ˜¬

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 1:09 AM

R3 that scene is disgusting. He was brutally raped.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 1:10 AM

R4 why?

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 1:38 AM

That was his career- and physical- peak. The hormones or steroids he was taking to bulk-up gave him a masculine edge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 1:40 AM

There were no hormones. He didnā€™t get bit. No need for pills b

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 1:41 AM

R6 šŸ˜¬

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 2:50 AM

I remember watching American History X with a straight friend and he found the prison rape scene hilarious, and kept rewinding the VHS tape to keep watching it.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 5:05 AM

R10 that never happened.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 4:07 PM

When he made the dude bite the curb and then stepped on his head. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 5:20 PM

R11, actually yes it did. You were not there. I was.

Yes R12 that scene, the scene inside the store with the Hispanic people, and the prison rape were all very disturbing, as well as the racist family scene.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 5:39 PM

The movie is so disturbing but good!

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 6:04 PM

I think itā€™s time OP for OP to go out for a walk, or perhaps a ride on the old bicycle.

Also, one of my all time fave performances by one of my fave actors. So no hatinā€™.

Love this film.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 6:14 PM

WEHT Fairuza? She was such an interesting, unusual actress.

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2019 6:32 PM

Here you go R16.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 7:07 PM

She looks the same r17

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2019 7:38 PM

Norton's a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2019 7:57 PM

Jewel of a movieā¤ļøAnd performance

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2019 9:43 PM

You are a liar, r19.

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 10:05 PM

Movie should get a re-release

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2019 4:42 AM

No, no, no. The head-stomping-on-the-curb scene was one of the worst things I've ever seen and wish I could erase forever from my memory.

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2019 4:56 AM

Itā€™s an incredible film, with amazing performances. It devastates me every single time I see it. People say Norton is a jerk, but the man is a magnificent actor.

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2019 5:33 AM

Heā€™s a jerk because he hijacks the script and directing on every film he stars in.

This is why he has no choice but to make his own films now

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Anyone have the latest on Jennifer Lien?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2019 5:44 PM

Is that really Lien at 0:52 in R26's video? If so does anyone know when it was taken?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2019 5:48 PM

Then & now = 1998 vs. 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2019 5:52 PM

I just remember the big hunk supremacist in the shower scene.

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2019 5:54 PM

R28 he is 21 years older. We canā€™t expect him to look the same.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2019 5:57 PM

The dinner scene =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2019 5:58 PM

This movie made me cry.

I remember seeing the part where he made that man bite the curb. Why did honestly seem like it was no big deal, he got out of jail in a small amount of time for that?? He should have been locked away for killing someone!

I couldn't wrap my head around that one. It was extremely shocking and anyone that does that to anyone needs life in prison, no exceptions. No getting out to lecture, sorry. Do it from jail.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2019 6:06 PM

R32 welcome to America, where white men get out of jail for murdering a Black person before a Black person gets out for stealing a TV.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2019 6:10 PM

Only Ethan Suplee looks better at r28ā€™s link.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2019 6:32 PM

Team Biting the Curb. Thatā€™s all I think of when I think of this movie.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2019 7:18 PM

Yes it is R27. She got more into hard drugs, and went crazy or flipped out at her neighbour's children and their parents. She was written off of Voyager because she was struggling with drug addictions, and refused to get help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2019 2:54 PM

"Team Biting the Curb. Thatā€™s all I think of when I think of this movie."

I only think of Norton's ass and dick.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2019 4:33 PM

Never saw it. Why would I watch a nasty man playing a nasty man?

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2019 12:59 AM

You see his peen for a few seconds before he takes up the pooper.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2019 1:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!