Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tulsi Gabbard's lawyers sent a letter to Hillary Clinton demanding she retract Russia comments

In the latest development of the feud between Rep. Tulsi Gabbard and 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, lawyers for the Hawaii congresswoman sent a letter to Clinton demanding a retraction of comments alleging Gabbard is a "favorite of the Russians."

A political firestorm was set off after Clinton's remarks, made during an October podcast interview, that triggered a bipartisan outpouring of support and defense of Gabbard, from President Donald Trump to 2020 Democratic rival Sen. Bernie Sanders.

"Your statement is defamatory, and we demand that you retract it immediately," the lawyers wrote, adding that the retraction should be done at a press conference as well as in writing on social media and in the press.

Gabbard initially hit back at Clinton on social media and in media interviews, calling the former secretary of state the "queen of warmongers." Gabbard has continued to rally her supporters with her criticism of Clinton.

"The statement is false. Congresswoman Gabbard is not being groomed by Russia to be a third-party candidate. Nor is she a Russian asset. Rather, she is a patriotic loyal American, a sitting four-term United States Congresswoman and a Major in the United States Army National Guard," the letter reads.

Excerpts of Clinton's remarks started to go viral after the podcast's release but some of the initial reporting missed context around Clinton's remarks. It was later revealed by an aide that Clinton was referring to Republicans, not Russians, "grooming" Gabbard. Her remark that "She's a favorite of the Russians" stands.

[quote] "They're also going to do third party. I'm not making any predictions, but I think they've got their eye on somebody who's currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate. She's the favorite of the Russians, they have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far, and that's assuming Jill Stein will give it up, which she might not, because she's also a Russian asset. Yeah, she's a Russian asset, I mean totally. They know they can't win without a third party candidate."

"It appears you may now be claiming that this statement is about Republicans (not Russians) grooming Gabbard," the letter says. "But this makes no sense in light of what you actually said."

The lawyers went on to say that the comments were understood by the public to mean that Gabbard is a "Russian asset." They called Clinton's statement "so facially improbable that it is actionable as defamation."

Here is what the lawyers want Clinton to say publicly:

[quote] "On October 17, 2019, I made certain statements about Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard. Among other things, I accused her of being a Russian asset and that Russia was grooming her to be a third-party presidential candidate. I was wrong. I never should have made these remarks, and I apologize. I did not have any basis for making the statements. I acknowledge my grave mistake and error in judgment in this matter. I support and admire the work that Congresswoman Gabbard has done and will continue to do in serving our country."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 26, 2019 5:34 PM

Good for Tusli. That was an absolutely evil thing Hillary did.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2019 12:17 AM

I’m so sick of this hard-faced bitch. Fuck off back to Moscow and go have dinner with Putin and Jill Stein.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 12:17 AM

That cunt has got some nerve.

Can you imagine telling HILLARY CLINTON what to say in a PUBLIC APOLOGY.

Fuck. Her.

Hillary should double down, take this shit to court, and have Gabbard PROVE that she's NOT a Russian operative.

That would be awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 12:21 AM

Not only are they demanding an apology, they’re demanding that HRC say she admires Gabbard.

I think Tulsi protests too much, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 12:26 AM

Fuck Tulso Gabbard. Drop out and get the fuck off the stage. You are unappealing and have zero chance of being the nominee or the vice-presidential pick.

Yes, we know you serve in the military. We're tired of hearing it. Doesn't qualify you for shit.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 12:29 AM

Did Hillary utter Tulsi's name?

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 12:30 AM

Here is what the lawyers want Clinton to say publicly:

[quote] "On October 17, 2019, I made certain statements about Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard. Among other things, I accused her of being a Russian asset and that Russia was grooming her to be a third-party presidential candidate. I was wrong. I never should have made these remarks, and I apologize. I did not have any basis for making the statements. I acknowledge my grave mistake and error in judgment in this matter. I support and admire the work that Congresswoman Gabbard has done and will continue to do in serving our country."

O.M.G.

Hillary was a former Secretary of State, former Senator from New York, and former First Lady.

Gabbard is nothing.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 12:31 AM

Clinton did not name Gabbard, and she did not say that the woman she described was intentionally working on Russia’s behalf; she said that she “is a favorite of Russia” and may be a witting or unwitting Russian asset. Gabbard’s entire complaint hinges on a Clinton staffer who said Clinton was referring to Gabbard, and that happened after Gabbard had already tweeted a public refutation. I don’t know whether any journalist has asked Gabbard why Gabbard intuited that she was the alleged Russian asset when Clinton didn’t name anyone and there are several women candidates.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 12:34 AM

R7 Gabbard IS somebody! Look! Here she is making important words with former reality television contestant (circa 1998) and online Playgirl nude centerfold Ronnie Kroell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 12:36 AM

She's the most toxic candidate in terms of personality. Seems to have Borderline.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 12:36 AM

[quote]I think Tulsi protests too much, frankly.

Same. If Gabbard were made of stouter stuff, she'd go out and prove Clinton wrong. Instead, she just shrieks like someone has shown a light on her.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 12:37 AM

[quote]she'd go out and prove Clinton wrong.

That's not the way it works.

If you accuse someone of something, it's up to you to prove that it's so.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2019 12:39 AM

If she runs as a third party candidate now, it will certainly look suspicious. Has she directly stated that she won't run as a third party candidate?

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2019 12:45 AM

Gabbard does have a point.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2019 12:47 AM

R13 Yes, she has, pretty consistently. I don’t trust her, though. This is the era of a GOP that every single day asserts and swears to one thing and then the next day says the opposite and never explains or excuses its hypocrisies. She could do the same and she likely will, after she does some damage within the Democratic party first.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 12:47 AM

That's not the way it works.

If you accuse someone of something, it's up to you to prove that it's so.

hahahaha ever hear of "The Big Lie", sucker?

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2019 12:48 AM

R14 Not to me, she doesn’t. If Clinton had named her, I would think differently. Clinton alleged that one female candidate is a favorite of Russia and Gabbard lost her shit. That looks like a guilty conscience to me. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 12:49 AM

Tulsi is just playing this up for press. Of course she knows she has no case. Any guess what kind of excuse she'll use when she runs third party (despite her claims she won't)?

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2019 1:52 AM

Hillary Clinton spilled the Tulsi tea. Now Tulsi is scrambling to figure out another way to please Putin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2019 1:59 AM

No, it wasn't R1. Clinton never named her. Did you ever listen to the podcast? Gabbard is desperate for exposure. The only thing that is being exposed is her cult history and cozy Russian statements so that voters in her district can think twice about whether they should support her. I'd love to see her primaried.

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2019 2:00 AM

Tulsi is handsome and they present well. I hope they come to terms with their transgenderism so that we can give them an award.

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 2:02 AM

What Hillary said was a baseless smear and a shitty thing to say, but in true Clinton style she walked right up to the line and didn’t actually defame Tulsi. Surely this is just a fundraising tactic by Tulsi.

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2019 2:02 AM

I think Hillary was tlaking about Kamala Harris in the original interview.

The democratic establishment hates Kamala and Hillary goes along with the..

Tulsi is beloved by them.

by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2019 2:04 AM

Tulsi is beloved by no one except now-mum Hawaii homophobes and fellow members of her bizarre cult.

She's gnawing on this bit of PR like a sad old dog chewing on a dried up hog bone.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2019 2:13 AM

R24 And Ronnie Kroell! Don’t forget him. By the looks of his Instagram, he’s days away from announcing that her magnificent beauty converted him from his disgusting homosexual lifestyle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2019 2:16 AM

[quote] Hillary was a former Secretary of State, former Senator from New York, and former First Lady. Gabbard is nothing.

Ooh, what an insult! You mean instead of serving her country, Tulsi should have stayed married to a serial adulterer/rapist who humiliated her on a regular basis? Wow, what a loser Tulsi is. You really told her.

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2019 2:51 AM

Tulsi gives no fucks, and your favorite could NEVER. Tulsi was asked one word to describe...

Trump: “Orange.”

Hillary: after a long pause... “Warmonger”

You just know she wanted to say CUNT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2019 4:21 AM

The worst she said about trump was that he was orange? Ohhh what a badass!

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2019 4:32 AM

Tulsi fan club finally turned up

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2019 4:32 AM

Go away, Boris/R26.

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2019 4:40 AM

as I read on twitter... "Hillary didn't call no fowl, she threw down the corn and Tulsi was the only one who came running"

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 4:42 AM

The next administration will investigate Tulsi. All will be revealed.

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 5:26 AM

where is the lie? We'll see what happens when she is the last person in the primary against the future candidate and she is just tearing that person down. Tulsi does not support an end to all wars, just regime change wars. She goes about trying to win the Dem nomination by bashing HRC on Tucker Carlson? In an age when we are supposed to be about the most progressive and liberal candidate, what is Tulsi about and how does she further Democratic and democratic values.

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2019 6:12 AM

R31, Clinton was widely interpited in the media and on social media to be referring to Gabbard even before Gabbard made any public comment. The Russian plant accusation was already being used on her by DNC corporatist types as well as the Assad apologist one.

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2019 8:09 AM

I find it interesting that Gabbard has a pre-prepared statement for Hillary to read, thereby "exonerating" Tulsi from any wrong doing.

You know who writes prepared statements for their enemies to read? Russian dictators.

You know else does it? Donald Trump.

If I didn't think that Tulsi was a Russian operative before this, well I surely believe it now.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2019 2:58 PM

That's parody, right R35?

by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2019 3:00 PM

I do enjoy her ability to drive establishment Democrats (Hillfans) crazy.

by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2019 3:01 PM

Isn't it about dinner time for you, Boris at R36 and R37?

So many websites for you to troll, and so little time.

by Anonymousreply 38November 13, 2019 3:02 PM

Hillary said it because it's true, hopefully she will make a statement and it should be good.

by Anonymousreply 39November 13, 2019 3:04 PM

R38

You may not be able to reconcile these two things, but it is possible to dislike Hillary Clinton as a politician without being a right-wing troll. For the record, I find Representative Gabbard to be a rather creepy individual, not a fan of hers particularly.

by Anonymousreply 40November 13, 2019 5:33 PM

What R20 said. If Gabbard was doing well, she would have been advised to ignore it. But since she scraping bottom, this "controversy" gives her the opportunity to grab the spotlight. So it'll goes on and on and on as long as she can milk it.

BOTH the Republicans and the Russians would love a third candidate, because if there is one, Donald wins in 2020. And don't compare this to 1992 when a third candidate hurt the incumbent president. Trump's disciples will stay with him, it's the others who will be split if there's a 3rd choice.

by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2019 5:52 PM

I want to see Tulsi Gabbard in a cage with a lion.

I would enjoy watching what follows.

by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2019 6:05 PM

Lunch?

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2019 6:17 PM

Tulsi Gabbard should be deported back to "Mother Russia."

Fucking CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2019 6:29 PM

HRC only said what MANY people were thinking.

[quote]"I'm not making any predictions, but I think they've got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate," Clinton said, speaking on a podcast with former Obama adviser David Plouffe. "She's the favorite of the Russians." Clinton never names Gabbard, but there are only five women running for President -- Gabbard, California Sen. Kamala Harris, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and author Marianne Williamson -- and none of the other woman have been accused of being boosted by Russia.

[quote]She and her team pointed to allegations that Russian news and propaganda sites often report on Gabbard's campaign and that moments in Gabbard's campaign have been reportedly amplified by trolls and bots on Twitter with ties to Russia. Gabbard has denied those allegations. "They have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far," Clinton said...Clinton's team also noted that some of Gabbard's foreign policy views align closely with Russian interests.

Streisand effect. Gabbard's own actions are responsible for tying her to the comment.

by Anonymousreply 45November 13, 2019 6:32 PM

Feed this cunt to the lions!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 13, 2019 6:35 PM

Maybe the real reason why Hillary hates Tulsi so much is because Hillary made a pass at her but Tulsi turned her down?

by Anonymousreply 47November 13, 2019 6:35 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Gabbard's acne scars? This is the DL, people, we expect petty.

by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2019 6:43 PM

God damn, so not only was HRC a bitter, loser cunt in 2016 she's carrying on that tradition to 2020 when by this point she should be a footnote to history. You fools crying "Boris!" at anyone that deigns to make you sniff your own bullshit are doing worse damage to the Democratic candidates we have running morso than any bot-farm in St. Petersburg could ever try; y'all are either feckless or just plain full of spite. I doubt y'all even truly believe in most of the party platform -- you're probably some upper-middle class white homo who wants to protect his own, & fuck everyone else. Clinton and her ilk that appear here on DL are politically sociopathic-- you are flawless and it's the fault of all us non-moderates that you have no idea how to attract an electorate. How dare we Borises get indignant when a "leader" supposedly on our own side nastily insinuates that a sitting US Congressperson, not to mention a veteran, is a Russian stooge-in-waiting! I wish she'd go hike in the woods and get lost.

by Anonymousreply 49November 13, 2019 7:15 PM

^^^paragraphs and a clear point are both your friends.

We on the DL, however, are not.

by Anonymousreply 50November 13, 2019 7:16 PM

Someone PLEASE dump a steaming hot bucket of diarrhea on R49's head!

by Anonymousreply 51November 13, 2019 7:19 PM

Please be my guest -- your butt-hurt for a loser like Clinton compounded with an utter inability to think strategically must mean you have bucketsful ready to go!

by Anonymousreply 52November 13, 2019 7:24 PM

r6 not once, no even indirectly. I can't tell if Tulsi is an idiot or if she's riding the HIllary hate bandwagon to more republican support, but whatever her endgame is, all she's doing is making it look like she's backed by Russia.

by Anonymousreply 53November 13, 2019 7:24 PM

" I can't tell if Tulsi is an idiot or if she's riding the HIllary hate bandwagon to more republican support"

She's both, and more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 14, 2019 6:04 AM

R6, She didnt need to utter Tulsi's name because she knew everyone would know who she was talking about. There are only what 4 woman in the primary race and Two of them are DNC corporatists (Klobuchar and Harris), one is a joke (Williamson), so Gabbard is the only one she could be talking about.

by Anonymousreply 55November 14, 2019 11:40 AM

Nice try, R55/Boris.

It's not hard to tell that your English skills are SEVERELY lacking.

You'll have to do better than that.

by Anonymousreply 56November 14, 2019 2:00 PM

Hillary's attack has done Tulsi well in the polls. She's trying to prolong that effect.

by Anonymousreply 57November 14, 2019 2:15 PM

[quote] Hillary's attack has done Tulsi well in the polls.

So does that mean Hillary is a Russian asset?

by Anonymousreply 58November 15, 2019 2:16 AM

Does anyone not remember that the newspaper published a correction saying that Hillary said "Republican asset", not Russian, and it was mistranscribed?

I can't be the only person that remembers that. It didn't happen that long ago! Yet it never seems to appear in new articles.

Tulsi IS a Russian asset, but Hillary never called her one during that interview. And she never named her by name, either. And Tulsi knows this. She is just doing this for publicity for her dying campaign.

Tulsi is running for something else, but not the Democratic nomination.

by Anonymousreply 59November 15, 2019 2:43 AM

R59 What in the world are you talking about? Clinton clearly said “...she’s a favorite of the Russians.” The audio has been played during most of the news reports. She said Russian and she meant Russian, not Republican, and she never named Gabbard during the interview, nor did she use the term “Russian asset” (or “Republican asset”); that term was used in reporting the quote, but it was not the quote. The quote was “a favorite of the Russians.” She did call Jill Stein a “Russian asset.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2019 8:33 AM

This, r60:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2019 8:52 AM

Also

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 15, 2019 8:57 AM

The Russia things is mostly dumb. If she was smart and caring what she'd actually go after Tulsi for is her homophobic history.

But given that she's only supported marriage equality since 2013 and made some transphobic statements earlier this week (to no coverage) I'm not surprised she hasn't.

I'm so fed-up with ciswomen.

by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2019 9:11 AM

R64 kill yourself. She didn't make transphobic comments, try reading what she actually said instead of Out's useless hot take on Twitter. And take that cis nonsense somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 64November 15, 2019 9:24 AM

That should be r63 ^

by Anonymousreply 65November 15, 2019 9:31 AM

Yeah, we can all read her actual comments, dyke. ‘Women’s concerns’ is a transphobic dogwhistle.

And telling people to kill themselves is not acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 66November 15, 2019 9:44 AM

You didn't read her actual comments, tranny.

Now scurry back off to Twitter for life-affirming hugs where you can rant about "cis" women.

This is the DL, not Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 67November 15, 2019 9:54 AM

R23, that's insane. I listened to the interview. They were not ever hinting at Harris, who has no history with the Russians. Tulsi's "present" vote on impeachment recently makes her pro-Russia sentiment clear, particularly when the evidence is clear and Trump is on the record engaging in this conduct. The smartest thing Hawaiians could do is dump her for a better candidate.

by Anonymousreply 68December 26, 2019 1:37 AM

I'm not sure you can reconcile them either, R40. You've been spending too much time around rightwing and Russian propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 69December 26, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote]The smartest thing Hawaiians could do is dump her for a better candidate.

I may be wrong but I think she's announced that she's not running for Congress again - she's retiring from the seat.

by Anonymousreply 70December 26, 2019 1:45 AM

I don’t like Hillary.

But Clinton didn’t name the candidate she was referring to, so Gabbard doesn’t have a pot to piss in as far as legal action goes.

by Anonymousreply 71December 26, 2019 1:50 AM

I hope you're right, R70. And she's tarnished herself so even her constituents should be waking up about all this. Those who would support her 3rd party candidacy are the Glenn Greenwald types and possibly some Berners, when he doesn't get the nimonation, but if she's not running for Congress again, that could be an option for her if Russia wants it. It may increase the likelihood of a Trump victory, especially if voting is hacked.

by Anonymousreply 72December 26, 2019 1:53 AM

I hope they bounce her cult loving ass out of the Party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 26, 2019 2:26 AM

R73, imagine if Bernie wins the nomination and makes madam Tulsi his VP. This is the guy who honeymooned in the USSR with his wife.

by Anonymousreply 74December 26, 2019 2:44 AM

[quote]imagine if Bernie wins the nomination and makes madam Tulsi his VP. This is the guy who honeymooned in the USSR with his wife.

It will be a guaranteed Trump victory, because most Democrats will not vote for a Bernie/Tulsi ticket. Neither one of them is a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 75December 26, 2019 12:37 PM

How can Bernie run on a Dem ticket if he's not a Dem, R75?

by Anonymousreply 76December 26, 2019 1:43 PM

We’re seeing more and more that Hillary was exactly right about Tulsi

by Anonymousreply 77December 26, 2019 1:43 PM

[quote]How can Bernie run on a Dem ticket if he's not a Dem, [R75]?

Because the DNC allows it, because they’re stupid.

by Anonymousreply 78December 26, 2019 1:44 PM

I’m fascinated watching this guy, who was part of a Bravo reality modeling competition show 20 years ago and since did Playgirl and a couple of F-list gay movies. He did a stunt run for president last year, raising money with a GoFundMe. Then he claimed he was running for senator of California. Then he abruptly started campaigning for Tulsi. His whole thing before Tulsi was peace and love and self love and self help bullshit. Since he decided Tulsi is his girl he has been passive aggressive and hostile on her behalf. He still posts Stuart Smalley affirmations alongside his weird defenses of Tulsi Gabbard. It’s like she has brainwashed him into her cult. Acid Betty from Drag Race bickered with him in this post and on other Tulsi related posts it looks like his actual real life friends are telling him to get off the Tulsi bandwagon and he is choosing to advertise for Tulsi over his actual friendships. Bizarre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 26, 2019 3:29 PM

Tulsi is pure Trash.

by Anonymousreply 80December 26, 2019 3:56 PM

She has a lot of ZITS she tries to cover up. Yeeeeesh.

by Anonymousreply 81December 26, 2019 4:06 PM

Fucking craterface.

She's FINISHED.

by Anonymousreply 82December 26, 2019 5:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!