Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Up With People

Did this cheesy, weird, sort of Christian-y group come sing at your grade school years ago?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 1:56 AM

Glenn Close

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 11:59 PM

They came to my middle school. I liked their enthusiasm and devil-may-care strutting. Living in Pomona California in the 70's UWP was high entertainment to me.

Thanks to those gave freely of thirty talents.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2019 12:02 AM

*their talents.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 12:03 AM

R1, that’s almost as embarrassing as Albert Nobbs.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 12:03 AM

Back in the 90s, I had a supervisor that had been in one of the 80s UWP groups. He was (and still is as far as I know) a Catholic closet case.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 12:04 AM

I worked with a former ‘Up With People’ performer. I believe his time with the group was in the early to mid-70s. He was very cool, not uptight at all. He was a cool guy, one if the few I felt comfortable being my myself around outside of work. That was a different time....

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 12:36 AM

I love this homage to UWP. It captured perfectly the free-for-all singing and dancing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 12:49 AM

They came to my high school.They ran up and down the aisles, telling everyone to stand up and join the fun! A friend sat there with her arms crossed, refusing to get up, even when one of them was cheerily screaming in her face. She was the ONLY ONE in the entire auditorium. I will always be proud of her for that.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 12:56 AM

What a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 1:31 AM

I went to one of their organizational meetings, the summer before I started high school (1971). Even then they gave me the creeps--something just felt "off" ( and I was far from being one of the cool kids). I never went back.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 1:48 AM

No, we got a lecture from the girl who hitchhiked, got raped, had her hands chopped off and still survived.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2019 1:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!