Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Please discuss this Tori Amos performance.

I love Tori Amos so much, and so I am aware that I’m extremely biased. I see a lot of discussion here about people like Lana Del Rey (DL loves her!) and Taylor Swift (DL hates her!), and about all the big divas and their abilities.

I would love to read people’s candid reactions to this performance, including people who may not know or who don’t like or get Tori Amos.

She composes and plays her own music, writes her own lyrics and sings all her own music. So she gets full credit and full criticism for her work. I think everything she does is exceptional, but when a friend in high school told me I would love her, I saw her perform this song (not this version—the one with a band on SNL), and I thought it was utter nonsense and gibberish. I thought she was overly acrobatic with her vocals and that her delivery was overly nutty. It all makes sense to me in its own way, but what do you think when watching this?

Also, do you think her voice is remarkable (as I do) compared with many pop singers’ voices? Or am I just really biased in her favor?

Just curious. Thanks for indulging me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 10:57 PM

She's somewhat entertaining, OP. She's very old and forgotten, though. I love the other Tori so much, and she's got pizazz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 8:05 PM

R1 :(

She is so talented though. Her voice has thinned out a hell of a lot in recent years, but she is still a far superior live singer than most professional singers (in my opinion).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 8:08 PM

Boring performance; not a fan of the acapella. Caught a Lite Sneeze also isn't one of my favo tracks, either.

I love Tori Amos though. She does have a great style and has put out some fantastic, fantastic stuff - all the 90s albums are amazing. She's also one hell of a live performer - saw her once and was blown away.

I haven't listened to any of her albums since Beekeeper. Scarlet's Walk is one of my favorites to listen to when explore-driving into new frontiers and it's aged well with me. Very listenable. This is one of my favorite tracks from that album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 8:25 PM

Her show at the Royal Albert Hall a few years back was atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 8:29 PM

R3 I ***love*** Virginia. Love it so much.

The Beekeeper was the album that lost a lot of Tori fans because it was so adult contemporary and lacked the bite of everything before it. American Doll Posse was rockier and it includes some good songs, but she has in my opinion made two masterpiece albums since Scarlet’s Walk: Night of Hunters, her psychedelic-alchemical song cycle based on classical pieces, and Native Invader from a couple of years ago, which I see sort of as her coming-out album as a pagan medicine woman. Both albums are brilliant but they must grow on you as with all of her music. Her voice is not what it once was but her music is visionary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 8:33 PM

I didn't mind Beekeeper. I thought it was pleasant (yea, adult contemporary-ish, but it was natural she'd chill out over time). Just a nice ride from start to finish. Except The Power of Orange Knickers.

I fondly remember listening to Marys of the Sea while reading The DaVinci Code back when it was out.

.... I think that's the frauist shit I've ever confessed here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 8:39 PM

R6 Past the Mission from her 1994 album Under the Pink is an earlier version of the same theme.

“I think there's also a bit of the Mary Magdalene/Jesus relationship in "Past the Mission," because I was reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail at the time. It has a lot of thoughts. It's a very long book about a historical viewpoint on everything, with the Cathars and all that happened in the Pyrenees, and the Merovingian dynasty and the whole nine yards. It's an interesting read. It opened my mind up a bit. More than anything, it was the sexual relations, even if it's just with yourself, surrounding the oppression of the church, and that's where "Past the Mission" again -- it's really freeing to me, that song. I've always kind of -- there's no resolve, either. [Baltimore Sun - January 1994]

“Of course I believe they [Jesus and Mary Magdalene] were together. Of course I believe they were a couple and that she understood things. She represents the Goddess, the female, the feminine, the joining, the equality. "Some things only she knows." And until we acknowledge that there are some things only she knows; and there's some things only he knows, too; and until we have mutual respect, there's that prison tower, and there's that mission (church), and the hot girl got lost somewhere in between. [Access - February 1994]”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 8:44 PM

🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 10:55 PM

Oh sweetie, I'm pulling your leg for the purposes of R1 snark. Enjoy your stanning - Tori is of course fab, but not my fab.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!