Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I have an appointment this afternoon for putting one of my dogs down

We are sitting on my couch snuggling which is nice as he's not normally much of a snuggler but he's stoned on light sedatives. the home veterinarian dropped them off so that he could have them prior to her arrival as he is kind of a biter under the wrong circumstances (which this would fall under).

he's a 12 year old toy American Eskimo. he was my very first foster dog 9 years ago. he answers not to his name but to 'fluffy bunny', 'princess' and 'you little bastard'.

I am barely holding it together but must because it's selfish to get him distressed just because I can't control my emotions but, I feel like I am going to have a heart attack (it's just GERD) and my regular things I do to control it and my anxiety aren't helping.

he's had some health issues all along but last year he had a small stroke and this year is in a belly band and has dementia. combined with his now worsening stomach issues (with winter being here) it's time. I have had fosters who were not with me at the time (in different foster homes) having to be put down before but I have never had one with me done.

tye vet has been lovely, she explained everything to me and if she can get through the snow should be here at 3pm. I am dumping my sadness here because if I talk to a real life friend they will come over to be supportive and I just want to be alone with him and not feel like I have to be ok.

also, the shithead who delights in mocking dogs and their owners, how about you take today off ok? there's always tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 68June 11, 2020 3:14 PM

Sorry, OP. Make these next few hours with your pup count. Keep your shit together until the vet leaves. Your dog had a great life and you are doing him the ultimate favor. We treat our pets more humanely than terminally ill people.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 5:42 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 5:42 PM

I'm so sorry. I had to have my kitty put down on July 3. I had a friend come to the vet with me and even so I cried for most of the appointment. Why do you think you have to be OK around a supportive friend? You aren't supposed to be OK now! I really don't have any words of advice. The whole process just hurts.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 5:44 PM

A bright spot is that your vet is coming to your home and your pet and loved one will spend the last moments with the home he lived in and loved and the person he loved, as oppose to having to take him in physical and mental duress to some clinical cold vet office to have this procedure done..

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 5:47 PM

I've been there OP, so my heart bleeds for you. I hope you'll start feeling more at peace with it soon after it's done. Just keep reminding yourself that your sweep pup is out of misery.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 5:53 PM

I am an emotional burrower, I don't like to be around people when I am falling apart. I can talk it through online but I would go back and forth between feeling tye need to be a normal human being and kind words making me lose it and resenting both. either would take away from my dog.

we are having it done at home for just those reasons, it's easier on him without overstimulating him in a vet's office. I hope I can hold him well enough that he can't get a bite in (I normally use a harness to help with that) but we both agreed that a muzzle was unkind right now.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 5:53 PM

We had to put down our family cat earlier this year who was only 14 years old, but had a lot of health issues and trouble breathing. Even my cold hearted Dad cried for hours after the appointment. It's the worst feeling and I feel your pain, OP. Take lot of pictures and videos while he is still with you. I look at her last pictures all the time and have them always with me.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 5:54 PM

I was responsible for both parents when on hospice and dying in the family home, but that was NOTHING compared to having to schedule THAT appointment. I also had a vet come to the house and was really amazing to be there and to let her go in peace. I felt dead inside for about two months after. Just keep your calm and talk to them. You can fall apart afterwards, but the pup needs your calm right now.

Words fall short in times like this.

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 5:54 PM

I wish I was allowed to be put down humanely and not be forced to suffer for years until I finally die in the most drawn-out, torturous and lonely way possible. Why is this kindness not allowed for us humans? There're enough people on the planet already.

Anyway, I'm sorry for your pain but this is probably the greatest kindness you can do for your furry friend, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 5:59 PM

I’m so so sorry OP. I don’t know how you are going to do this.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 5:59 PM

We did exactly this 2 years ago. 18 year old toy poodle. The vet was superb , professional and thoughtful, explaining the process as we went along.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 6:02 PM

My female cat is 10 and has been having seizures. It's scary to watch, and she urinates during it. But she's okay afterwards, like it never happened (though she does seem more and more disoriented, and sleeping most of the days).

I just keep pretending it's not happening, or that it will go away. I don't want to have her put to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 6:04 PM

yeah, the vet and I had a discussion about the weird and selfish extraordinary measures people take to extend the lives (and actually the suffering) of people and their animals. it's cruel. she agreed that doing this before it became a crisis was for the best and I trust her because she flat out said that she refuses to push for expensive and over the top medical procedures. if the family requests that, fine but she emphasizes the cost and leaves it up to them.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 6:05 PM

Been there, OP. This is sacred time. Love your sweet one.

Last year during these hours my little girl got a surge of energy, grabbed a toy and started running and playing. I though "What am I doing?!" but looking back I think she was trying to make me play one last time.

Hugs to you and your baby.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 6:05 PM

r12, get her to the vet and get her on an anti-seizure medication. I've had two cats live long, seizure-free lives on phenylbarbitol. Seizures can be caused by a virus, bacterial infection, or sometimes are just a genetic glitch, but are not always a death sentence for cats.

Sorry to hijack your thread, OP, just wanted to share experience with r12.

I had to put down a pet before and would have given everything to have the vet come to the house. Make these last few hours with your boy count, just love him and keep the anxiety at bay because he will pick up on it. You can fall to pieces when it's over.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 6:09 PM

yes r14, we got a freakishly early heavy snow last night /this morning. never happened this early in recent memory. his literal favorite thing in the world is snow, it was actually a picture of him playing in the snow that caught my attention to offer to foster him.

he played like a drunken puppy today in it. I had some moments of 'well, maybe it's not time' and then realized that while I am an atheist, maybe the snow was just for him and the rest of the state got caught in it.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 6:10 PM

We should all be so lucky to have a keeper as loving, thoughtful, responsible, and kind as you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 6:12 PM

r15, I would NEVER resent advice given to anyone to help a pet :) carry on

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 6:12 PM

The world works in mysterious ways. You now have a place for a new foster dog needing a home. Your heart will take time to heal but carry on with you animal foster and rescue work.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 6:16 PM

Be strong, rescue-chick, and know that many of us here think the world of you.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 6:17 PM

god no r19! I have 2 other special needs dogs still after this. 3 was almost too much sometimes after my son left home (I worried about how I would be able to get all 3 out if therebwas a fire).

so, joking aside, it will be a while before I foster again. but I will likely make a large donation to one of the rescues in his memory.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 6:19 PM

So sorry, OP! Try to take comfort in that as hard as this is on you, you are selflessly helping your pup transition as painlessly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 6:21 PM

I honestly can say that I know your heart is breaking I had to get a puppy pts weeks ago,please try to know your doing the kindest final act as a animal lover.We had 1st 2 dogs into old age but still had to get pts,your dog no matter how long you have them know they were loved. Do whatever you feel like to get through this cry ,get drunk , whatever gets you through.I don't practice any religion but yet still feel dogs must have souls and will be out of pain at peace and watching over you.take care

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 6:26 PM

"but I will likely make a large donation to one of the rescues in his memory"

R21 - Can you post the mailing address?

I did not mean to upset you in anyway. Did not know you had two other special-needs dog. My bad. Please forgive!

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 6:26 PM

How fortunate for him that you came along 9 years ago and gave him a loving home. Like most foster animals, he faced an uncertain future. You're a good soul OP.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 6:28 PM

no, i like that your brain went there r24, it made me smile.

I am currently not officially affiliated with a rescue but this is the one I most recently was and will be donating to. I will also the one he came from and I wound up running for years but do not want to post that one as it would dox me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 6:31 PM

We just had our beloved, sweet 13 y/o pug put down a few days ago. A vet came to our house and I would say, all things considered, it was a good experience---peaceful and serene. We had plenty of time to say our goodbyes. SO much better than bundling him up in the car and bringing him to the animal clinic, a place that always caused him stress and anxiety. At home pet euthanasia is definitely the way to go. Especially if you have a large dog who might be difficult to transport.

As others have already stated, our boy's passing was so peaceful and painless that I couldn't help thinking we humans should be allowed the same opportunity to have a "good death" when our time comes.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 6:36 PM

it's amazing how a great vet can make all the difference. she was unfazed when after 3 mild sedatives he still made clear that his greatest desire was to bite her through the baby gate. then when we were talking he clowned it up by stopping barking every time I turned to look at him and starting again whe I turned back. he showed what a little jerkface he was by listening to me perfectly 'sit', 'hush' 'stop trying to shove your face through the gate' until i turned my back again. I held him, she gave a shot of sedatives and he was happily stoned on the rug. once he was sedated she gave him a hug and then the other shot. it all took just a few minutes after the initial talking to each other.

she asked if my other dogs would need to say goodbye to him and was just all around gentle, respectful and kind. I am weirdly ok, i was far worse all day. I had a mini breakdown at dinner time because with 3 dogs I have a very choreographed routine with keeping the 2 small ones from bumping into each other and fighting, all tgeir medicines and how mich raw i make. it completely threw me because it's so different with him not here. but, i am ok for right now.

thanks for talking me through it earlier

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 10:03 PM

Sending you many hugs, OP.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 10:09 PM

Why stop at one? More is better OP.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 10:18 PM

OP started this thread while spending his last hours with his dog?

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 10:21 PM

It's always so sad when we lose our pets, especially when we are the ones who must make that choice. I so sorry OP.

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2019 10:33 PM

yes, I did. he was quietly snuggled up to me so I was stationary and trying not to break down and make him move r31. I couldn't concentrate to read a book and didn't want to wake my dog and get him worked up. different folks, different strokes

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2019 10:34 PM

Hugs to OP. As an introvert, totally get your wanting support without the distractions of another human there especially as your dog was feisty to the end.

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2019 10:35 PM

Right before last Christmas my 19 year old cat had to be put down. She'd gone blind 3 months earlier and I knew the end was near. The day before taking her to the vet she started having violent seizures which were extremely taxing on her, and I knew it was the time. The last 24 hours felt terrible, everything felt so raw, but crazy as it sounds it reminded me what it's really like to *feel* something very deeply. I went for a long walk the night before taking to her vet while she was sleeping at home after a heavy seizure and everything felt so alien. During that walk I decided to go with the flow, and take all feelings how they come and live through them, even if they are extremely uncomfortable. I knew that if I bottle up anything I'd just suffer more later. Ever since she'd gone blind I had started preparing myself for her death but obviously when it happens things get real. For those last months I gave her more time every day by brushing her and just cuddling her, which she loved more now that she was blind.

She slept next to me on that last night while I was crying and caressing her. I didn't get much sleep but still I woke next morning to another seizure. I had thought about walking her through the house before leaving as a goodbye but she was so out of it and possibly in great pain that I just carried her to the car and drove to the vet. I knew she might not hear me but I kept talking to her during the half hour drive and remembering what we'd done together. I told her to say hi if she meets my family's earlier pets. Thankfully I was the day's first customer and it was just the vet and me. I've always selfishly worried that it would be so embarrassing to break down publicly but in the end I didn't. I was sad but at the same it all felt ok since she was so sick.

She woke up briefly right before the vet sedated her which was a bit of a bummer since I'd hoped she wouldn't have to realize what was happening. Still, when the vet gave her the final shot she died instantly, apparently because her heart was so weak. We talked mostly in a normal manner with the vet who was a bit emotional as well, telling me she hates doing this, and that it's always hard for her as well. When I was leaving she said she was sorry this happened right before Christmas and when I thanked her my voice cracked for the first time and a sob came out. On the drive home I didn't really cry anymore, I was mostly just numb.

I still miss her but I knew that putting her down was the right thing to do, which made the whole thing less painful. I'm glad I was present all the time mentally during the last day and I'm really glad I had given her the best last months I could. It's been almost a year but I still had a little cry while writing this, and that's a good thing. RIP, my darling, you're missed and I hope you're happy wherever you are. You no longer feel pain.

OP, hugs to you. You gave your buddy a good life and offered him a peaceful way to go. You did your best and it was just his time to go. We all live and then we all die, that's how it should be. Cherish life and, when the time comes, cherish death as well.

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2019 11:17 PM

A big hug to you, OP. It’s an awful thing to go through.

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2019 11:35 PM

On one of the worst days of your life, know that strangers are sending you love.

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 11:39 PM

Sending good thoughts your way. I had to put down my fourteen-year-old siberian husky a year ago. The vet was so kind. He told me my dog has places to go and people to see. I know he is beside my late husband.

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2019 11:40 PM

boopie picture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 13, 2019 12:17 AM

[quote]The vet was so kind. He told me my dog has places to go and people to see.

Aw, what a great way to look at it.

Hugs to OP on this sad day. As you mentioned, having a great vet helps enormously. Earlier this year, I had to euthanize an elderly cat who had cancer. His vet had the perfect combination of practicality and compassion, which made it much easier to get through. Vets like that are a real treasure.

And you're a treasure, as well, OP. I'm sure your dog knows that.

by Anonymousreply 40November 13, 2019 3:07 AM

I'm so very sorry, OP. You've given a lot of support and advice to many of us over the years, and you may not know how much many of us had depended on you. What a beautiful dog, and what a huge loss! You're doing the right thing, although we'll always second-guess ourselves in time like this.

by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2019 6:12 AM

Hugs OP.

Just try to focus on the wonderful life you've been able to give your pup, and that you're giving them the gift of not suffering any more.

by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2019 9:36 AM

With you in spirit, OP.

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2019 9:47 AM

my second foster dog was a terrfied rottie mix. he died last year and his adopter just contacted me to ask if he could use me as a reference because he is finally ready to adopt another dog. somehow, that's what has set off my tears today.

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2019 5:19 PM

*hugs*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 14, 2019 3:12 AM

Hugs to you OP. It’s a devastating feeling. Total cutie in that picture. A very boopable snoot. I hope you’re feeling okay. Everyone thinks they have the best dog. And none of them is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 46November 14, 2019 4:00 AM

This morning flowers were delivered by our local florist from the vet. I didn't know vets did that and found it incredibly thoughtful. it wasn't 'sorry for your loss' but 'your dog fluffy bunny was obviously loved by you and had a great life'. if anyone in Vermont ever needs a vet, I can recommend one.

by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2019 4:38 PM

I am so sorry, OP. Hugs to you.

by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2019 5:11 PM

fucking 2020. today I put down my senior girl. she was almost 17. I am down to one 8 year old 75 pound dog. I haven't had just one dog in many years. she was my first dog as an adult, my girl. she delighted and frustrated me in almost equal measure but I loved her so much.

by Anonymousreply 49June 10, 2020 8:00 PM

Awww...so sorry, rescue-chick.

by Anonymousreply 50June 10, 2020 8:15 PM

In all fairness, dogs are pretty annoying. I suggest adopting a cat.

by Anonymousreply 51June 10, 2020 8:44 PM

I love cats but it would be irresponsible for me to have one where I live. they are smarter than me and would get out on my busy road and get immediately run over. so, dogs it is. well, dog now.

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2020 9:00 PM

You are a wonderful person, OP. This never gets any easier. We have had several fosters (can’t do that anymore, so I really admire you), including a couple we had to euthanize for “failure to thrive” or palliative issues, plus the normal life cycle deaths of 10+ babies (our pet cats and dogs), and it is never easy. The way you are doing it is THE WAY to do it. Your post brought a tear to my eye, as it brought up so many memories. This is difficult, but you have had several years of love, providing a home for this baby, which makes all this worthwhile. Focus on your memories. and the peaceful and loving end you are providing him. We have a an “old man cat (21 years old)” now in end stage kidney disease, who likely won’t last the year, so I understand you very well. I’m sorry for your pain. Hold him tight as he goes. God bless you, here’s a big hug ((()))

by Anonymousreply 53June 10, 2020 9:06 PM

R53 Very very sweet of you, but try reading dates on threads. This one's 7 months old.

by Anonymousreply 54June 10, 2020 9:09 PM

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried updog as an option?

by Anonymousreply 55June 10, 2020 9:11 PM

R54, see r49.

by Anonymousreply 56June 10, 2020 9:11 PM

So glad to hear you still have a dog in the house. You guys are going to grieve together. From experience, this is a good thing. Good luck to you. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2020 9:11 PM

So sorry, R49 aka Rescue Chick.

My beloved doggy was put to sleep on Saturday after being diagnosed with a serious kidney condition on Monday and then deteriorating suddenly at the weekend. With all the Covid 19 restrictions in place the vet staff came out to the car and let me stay with him throughout, so I was the last thing he saw when his eyes closed, fussing him throughout and telling him it was ok to go to sleep.

I'd had him 3 and a half years since adopting him and they estimated at the home he was about 18 months so his 5th birthday was going to be July 6th. He didn't even make it to 5. Totally at a loss of what to do without him, evenings are particularly empty as we'd have a 90 minute walk most nights. To quote Sinead, I feel like a bird without a song.

I'll get his ashes next week and will scatter them on the beach where he used to love running and rolling in the sand.

Dogs really are the best.

by Anonymousreply 58June 10, 2020 9:35 PM

I'm sorry, OP.

R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 59June 10, 2020 10:19 PM

I appreciate the good thoughts and am also emphatic to those of you who have also lost a pet recently or are clearly going to in the near future. I don't know what i would do if i didn't still have my big guy and suspect nightmares in my future regarding losing him too.

I had the same home vet as last time and again recommended that if we have the ability to do that you do so.

by Anonymousreply 60June 10, 2020 10:26 PM

I am so sorry, R58.

by Anonymousreply 61June 10, 2020 10:45 PM

Sorry rescuechick and all others who lost their companions.

by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2020 10:49 PM

Had to do this twice for my two boys (schnauzers) .........vet had a dimmed room with relaxing music and extra warm temperature............dogs were on a Tempurpedic mattress..........two injections to put to sleep..........second injection to stop[ heart.........no pain.......no drama..........they both died in my arms.........looking up at me.......very peaceful for all in the room..........what a way to go.........(both had refused to eat for two weeks........thus telling me that it was time to go)...........really pleasant experience (but sad too)...........

by Anonymousreply 63June 11, 2020 1:03 AM

I've had to have 3 cats euthanized over the years but I can't be in the room when they do it. Each time it was an emergency situation where I was there to see what was wrong with them. I've never taken a pet in to "get euthanized"- it's just what was recommended after examination.

I can't take my pet in to be killed on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 64June 11, 2020 1:12 AM

I heard your pet has made an appointment to have YOU put down.

by Anonymousreply 65June 11, 2020 1:14 AM

the two schnauzers would have starved themselves to death if I had not done something.........seemed more humane than to see them waste away for weeks...........

by Anonymousreply 66June 11, 2020 2:24 PM

Putting my dog down earlier this year (2020 is a bitch all around) was one of the hardest things I've ever experienced.

He was one of the sweetest beings in my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 67June 11, 2020 3:13 PM

Honestly, we should be doing this to humans.

by Anonymousreply 68June 11, 2020 3:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!