Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Minimalist Living. Sustainable Living. How minimal could you go?

How could you cover your physical and emotional needs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 1, 2021 11:44 AM

My apartment - a small 1BR in NYC is super minimalist. Small desks and chair in one room. Two seats, little table, bed and small drawers in other. It’s totally adequate. After years of this, I find living in large spaces to be almost disturbing. You really don’t need all that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 4:43 PM

No, you really don't R1.

I made up a list of all of my needs; food, cooking, shelter, bathing, personal care, sleeping and entertainment. I could easily get by on a lot less than I thought.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 4:45 PM

I am fascinated by small apartments and small homes. Not tiny homes, but small homes.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 4:48 PM

I live quite a minimalist lifestyle. I'm just happier that way. Accumulating things and getting in a rut eventually makes me feel suffocated, and I went through a pronounced "acquire-purge" cycle with possessions for years.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 4:52 PM

I think the more stuff you have the more stressed you are. When you keep it minimal you know you can pick up and leave a situation you are unhappy with more easily.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 4:55 PM

I am attracted to a clean, minimalist design. "Eclectic" makes me claustrophobic and cluttered makes me outright anxious. I only keep what I use, and if I buy something new, I have to get rid of one thing. I don't like anything that doesn't have a purpose and function.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 4:55 PM

Sounds good R6.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 4:56 PM

This would be the perfect home for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 5:00 PM

Not bad, r8, but I like more of a foyer so you're not walking right into the kitchen when you enter the apartment. I also prefer a separate shower and tub (or no tub if space is an issue) and only one sink in the bathroom. Never understood giving up counter space in the bathroom for an extra sink.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 5:33 PM

I'd probably forgo the second sink if I were living there by myself R9.

I know I could fit everything I need in that closet. I like that the entrance would open up into a utility room like the kitchen. A place you don't really sit and relax in. I love the little terrace.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 5:49 PM

Things own you.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 5:51 PM

There was another thread, maybe a month ago, that asked about what is the minimal amount of furniture you need. In my case, I don't require much stuff but I like living in a place where I have some elbow room. I would require at least 1,000 sf.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 5:58 PM

Even with 2 people, I'd forego the 2nd bathroom sink. I'd rather have the counter space.

My living space is ~ 500 square feet, or 152 meters square. I do have a walk-in closet, though. I think that makes a huge difference. (I use it for clothing and storage as well.)

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 5:58 PM

R8 any idea what the sq footage is on that model?

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 5:59 PM

I agree with R6 - extra "stuff" is clutter and drives me nuts. I've even started to tackle my yard getting rid of extra bushes and other plantings. With each pass, it looks better.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 6:26 PM

You all must worship DL's favorite minimalist, muscle slut Matt D'Avella!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 6:32 PM

Matt D’Avella is simple minded.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 6:37 PM

I'm sorry R14 but I don't. I'm guessing that it is less than a 1,000 square feet.

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 6:49 PM

They really do R11.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 6:49 PM

I own tons of legwarmers but they don't take up much space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2020 10:10 PM

I think a lot of people misunderstand real minimalist, modern design (vs a spartan, pared down, utilitarian look).

Minimalism (in the modern sense) can be quite luxurious, but you must have beautiful surfaces, eg, beautifully textured walls in quiet colors, floors in solid hardwoods or stone, impeccably chosen and coordinated furnishings of the best possible quality. And you have to be really smart and strategic about storage space.

I've seen a lot of sad, random-seeming interiors (dingy white walls, shapeless sofas, an oversized TV on the floor, nothing on the walls) where the owner would crow about being a minimalist. No, you're not, honey. You're just a sad sack who couldn't be bothered to do more.

To each his own, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2020 10:25 PM

4 bedrooms, 3 baths, on Park Ave. And of course Consuela.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2020 10:27 PM

I am not a minimalist. I collect. I love my stuff.

I must admit, however, as I prepared to evacuate from a nearby wildfire yesterday (third time in three years) I though, why did I collect all this crap? It's impossible to squeeze a house full of antiques into a car. Impossible.

So, in spite of all my stuff I am aware that it could all be lost in a fire, like so many people in my region have lost homes. In the end, things are just things, much of it replaceable. If I lost my home I'd likely just fill it up again just because I love hunting for treasures.

In my instructions for those who will have to handle my affairs I've included a list of estate sale companies.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2020 10:47 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2020 12:19 PM

Minimalists have commitment issues. They need to feel like they can go on the run in a heartbeat when things get tricky (like someone's trying to tie them down with a committed relationship).

Too much is a burden for them. And that includes too much drama that comes from relationships.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2020 12:32 PM

I win.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2020 12:36 PM

My former house was average sized, and I had LOTS of stuff. I was not a hoarder, but just accumulated a lot of things, had a big storage shed, as well as garage lined with stuff. When I decided to sell my house and move, I decluttered and got rid of lots of stuff. I would now describe my house as minimalist. It's much smaller, with just the necessary living needs, and I freaking love it. I don't know why I ever had so much unnecessary stuff before.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2020 12:39 PM

I've taken inspiration from the new electrographic architecture.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2020 12:39 PM

R17, Matt D'Avella is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2020 1:05 PM

How many dishes do I really need if it's just me from now until then, and I'm un'ancien who's never going to have anyone over for dinner ever again? I have enough for 12-15, and I'm thinking of scaling back to either 4 or 8. But then I freak out over whether something might break. One of my two patterns is only available on eBay now.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2020 1:29 PM

I have moved an enormous amount in my life, and every time you move, you shed more things. I never want to load up a moving truck again. I went from a house in Fla to a small apartment in a downtown city not in the US and I left everything behind and started from scratch. The only thing I brought with me were my clothes and my books. I have nice things, and a big huge bookcase as a divider for living area to work. During lockdown, I did start to go a little crazy with such a small confined space, but now, just going for a walk around the neighborhood once a day does wonders.

I do have nomadic tendencies and would like to travel once the bans are lifted and we approach some sort of normality. Having a minimalist life will help with that. But sure, I do have issues, as well. I can't stay in a place longer than 7 years.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2020 1:40 PM

I've done it! I lost my job and went back to college, and lived in a 200' studio for five years. I planned all the space out carefully so I had a library and a comfy bed and an "office" (desk with computer), and a full kitchen and a decent-sized wardrobe. There was no space for guests, of course, but Miss Kitten and I were comfortable enough, and the housework was a breeze! Which is more compact than minimalist, really, as I didn't have no stuff or no visible stuff, I had all the usual stuff reduced and organized into a smaller space than expected.

So I've decided my ideal home would be a one-room cabin or Tiny House on a few acres in the country, with a deck outside where I can hang out with visitors (retractable eaves a must), and a shed to store stuff that won't fit in my tiny cabin. And a hummingbird/butterfly garden around the deck, and a vegetable and herb garden further away. If I come into money I'll do it, but unless I have enough money to quit work and spending several years to setting up the perfect home, it's easier to just buy a condo.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote]My living space is ~ 500 square feet, or 152 meters square.

Oh, dear. Meters square? LOL. It's [italic]square meters[/italic].

And 500 sq.f. are 46.45 square meters.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2020 11:51 PM

Define minimalism - I live in a one bedroom apt, don’t have a car or a great deal of clothing; or even a TV but I have hundreds of books. So I don’t think I’m minimalist at all, but compared to the amount of stuff the average American has, I am.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2020 1:04 AM

I live on a sailboat so everything is built-in. Although there's lots of storage I don't keep a lot of stuff - I would say the biggest user of storage for me is food and food-prep stuff. What's nice is if I want a change of scenery I just on-hook from the mooring ball and off I go. I'm generally in the Bahamas every other month.

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2020 1:35 AM

I love minimalism

by Anonymousreply 36February 1, 2021 2:28 AM

I wish I was into modernism and minimalism. I'm not, and frankly, the look depresses me. I'm in the process of moving from a 750 square foot apartment and I'm seriously worried that a 22 foot truck won't be big enough. I'm not a hoarder, but I have a LOT of stuff. Antiques, sculpture, paintings, lighting, chandeliers, suits, and at least 50 pairs of fine, Italian shoes.

Sure, I get that you don't - need - all this. But I like having it. Options are nice.

by Anonymousreply 37February 1, 2021 2:37 AM

My family and friends teasingly call me a hoarder. I love stuff,and lots of it. I like old stuff though,so I haunt thrifts and antique stores and the like . The newest thing in my house are the beds and the appliances . I dont mind giving stuff away though,so I guess Im not really hoarder material.

by Anonymousreply 38February 1, 2021 2:45 AM

I can’t even visit people with lots of stuff in third house. It irks me to see all that junk

by Anonymousreply 39February 1, 2021 11:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!