Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

$800.00 a Month to Live in a Box. So it Has Come This. (Oh my G...)

'Capsule living: a 'cheap' option for young people flocking to LA'

"Each room contains up to six capsules, which Wilson describes as 'cozy'. They contain a single bed, a bar for hanging clothes, a few compartments for storing shoes and other items and an air vent.

By most standards, the accommodation is still not cheap -- $750 per month plus taxes. That works out at around $800, which is slightly more than the 26-year-old was paying in Bethlehem, around 70 miles outside Philadelphia."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2019 11:54 PM

The mirrors inside make it look huge!

This is the equivalent of a homeless person living in a slightly cleaner version of a cardboard box.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 2:07 PM

I love how it's so expensive yet SF and LA and SJ are at historic population highs.

So obviously many people can still afford it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 2:08 PM

Surprised that is fire/earthquake code allowed.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 2:10 PM

An air vent? Does she have to pay for the air, too?

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 2:10 PM

People have lost their fucking minds . Living on a SHELF ? Really ?

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 2:16 PM

Isn’t it a common way to live in Tokyo?

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 2:23 PM

People haven't lost their fucking minds. There are just waaaaaay too fucking many of us.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 2:23 PM

[quote]An air vent? Does she have to pay for the air, too?

Who says you get to breathe? Breathing is a luxury!

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 2:26 PM

R7 Yes, this planet is a bit overpopulated. But there is also a problem with those who have the power and who control resources like housing being greedy beyond imagination.

I think big cities in this country are trying to send the non-rich a little message. As in, "You know, small town living is not as bad as it sounds. You could look there too."

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 2:29 PM

We still have plenty of room in the States. SF can either allow people to start hiking up, ruining the vibe of the area or these companies need to continue expanding their work from home options. WFH will give people the ability to accept the nice cost of living salary if SF with more options to live outside of the area.

Not everyone has a job that can be complete remotely, so they will just have to accept the box or work somewhere else. People have options.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 2:30 PM

Building up not hiking up.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 2:30 PM

You're right R1. The homeless get chased away but...if you have $800.00 to spare you are welcome to live like one of them.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 2:30 PM

First they tried to sell the 'tiny house' idea but it looks like wooden boxes in big cities are what's really catching on.

'The Tiny-House Dream Is Actually a Nightmare'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 2:34 PM

r9 that would be true if here weren’t a number of affordable large urban sprawls in the States. It’s not the landlords making up these prices, the demand is increasing the price. A property owner would be crazy to rent their property under the market value. If someone wants to pay $800 for a box, let them. It’s their choice to accept that living situation when millions of Americans happily enjoy a 800 plus sq ft 1 bedroom apartment in places around the court for that price.

At least these shoe boxes offer more housing units. Builders are itching to construct more high rises. That’s how overpopulated Asian cities manage their demand.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 2:35 PM

But it's cosmopolitan L.A. with all of its glamour and excitement, so living on a shelf is perfectly wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 2:37 PM

Too lazy to read the article -- how much does she save by living in the capsule? I mean, as opposed to, say, a studio in the same area?

If she's ok with a small living space, who really cares? Is it that different from the arrangements where three people share a three bedroom apartment? It's just that the capsule is smaller than a bedroom. And presumably cheaper too.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 2:41 PM

When dinner is finished:

-So, my box or your box?

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 2:42 PM

It’s a great option for traveling while on a tight budget. These boxes usually rent out like a room, but with multiple roommates in the same home, without a lease.

One week, a sociopath can be your roommate, net week, an untreated schizophrenic, and the following week, a junkie who mainlines right above you daily. And let’s not forget the farters, the snorers, or the TMJ person.

This is what the Bible describes as hell. The difference is semantics. Some call it overpopulation, a climate change crisis, or the lake of fire.

Either way, this is no way to live, & we all know it.

C’mon now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 2:48 PM

[quote]Kimma Moonshine has lived in the community for a year, and told AFP that so far she has not found living with 90 housemates to be overwhelming.

After reading the article, I think the whole scenario is crying out for a Broadway musical: "Higher Rent".

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 2:49 PM

Sky high laughter, r19.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 2:50 PM

Says about half the cost R16.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 2:55 PM

Thanks r21 -- a very substantial savings.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 2:56 PM

If OP's pic were in black and white it could be on Shorpy. The Depression 1932.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 3:21 PM

[quote]Thanks [R21] -- a very substantial savings.

Not for living with 90 strangers.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 3:21 PM

Kramer and the Japanese tourists sleeping in drawers comes to mind...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 3:26 PM

This is perfectly acceptable as a transitory station. Either you can save up and get a place that offers privacy or it’s a decent option while traveling.

For those of us who have been afforded the luxury of living alone, or with our partner, spouse, etc., this is probably unthinkable for more than a temporary spot.

Being able to get up and roam around nude in one’s own place is priceless.

This will have to wake people up and make better choices about where one wants to live. I LOVE L.A., but there are opportunities to be had elsewhere as well. You can still get a decent apartment with a pool and tennis courts for under $1,000 per month in plenty of places around this country.

People love to talk shit about the flyovers, but I’d rather live in a nice 2 bedroom with a doable mortgage in Wisconsin, than live in Los Angeles, stuffed into a box. Same goes for NYC.

I’ve lived in both cities, and would live elsewhere and now do, because I appreciate having enough money for decent food, and am a pet owner, meaning pets need decent food and care, too.

Fuck LA. My flat, yet well fed stomach calls the final shots, always.

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 3:27 PM

Like college dorm living, then? But with more privacy?

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 3:27 PM

Question: do Gen Zs not have sex? Do they even masturbate?

JFC.

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 3:31 PM

How do they bathe? Are the showers one big room, like in prison? Do the stalls have doors or no?

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 3:35 PM

No, it hasn't come to this, OP. You can still get a room in a shared apartment for that price in LA -- still way too expensive -- but at least it's a room. The article is sensationalistic and anybody who agrees to pay $800 for this claustrophobic box is very naive and getting gypped.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 3:37 PM

How do you fuck or bring a date home to that box?

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 3:43 PM

Good question R29. To those who have read the article - how are the bathing and hygiene issues worked out?

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2019 3:43 PM

Get a roommate -- cut the cost to $400 a month.

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2019 3:46 PM

Seems like heaven to me.

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2019 3:47 PM

R34 They have shared showers/bathrooms like every hostel or dorm.

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2019 3:48 PM

Bedbugs, the runs and viral infections will run rife.

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2019 3:49 PM

Lol, R33.

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 4:00 PM

Why not just place 6 bunk beds in the room and set up a row of tall lockers, one per bed? What is the benefit of these cubbyholes?

Earlier this year I read a story about illegal cubbies being installed in NYC. Someone took a room and split it in half vertically. The original room had a floor-to-ceiling window. The tell-tale sign from the outside is a window that has two AC units attached to it.

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2019 4:04 PM

The owner of this development is a slumlord of the worst order.

by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2019 4:05 PM

$800 a month to find out what it is like to be a prisoner at Gitmo.

by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2019 4:15 PM

Like so many others in LA, R39.

Not defending slumlords, but LA is no longer a place for people who have to choose between living with roommates, living in a box, or couch surfing, just to live there.

Renters are getting fucked, but so are many property owners in rent controlled areas. That’s why everyone is selling to corporations. FMV and property taxes aren’t proportional in rent controlled areas in LA.

by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2019 4:15 PM

What if you have to poop?

by Anonymousreply 42November 12, 2019 4:19 PM

That's why God gave us buckets and sawdust R42.

by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2019 4:28 PM

And Sears catalogs.

by Anonymousreply 44November 12, 2019 4:31 PM

People are not having enough kids because they can't afford it. We need more immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 45November 12, 2019 4:51 PM

Bump...ed my head on the ceiling of this damned box I am paying way to much for!!!

by Anonymousreply 46November 12, 2019 4:56 PM

It's time to grow up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 12, 2019 4:57 PM

The severe inequality enables the new tsars to exploit the new serfs in many ways not dreamed of by Marx and Lenin. This time, there will be no uprising and no revolution.

Where will it all end?

by Anonymousreply 48November 12, 2019 7:49 PM

R48 These assholes are using peoples' virtue and compassion for others against them. Their need to import more workers has nothing to do with altruism. By flooding the country with more and more poor people, they hope that no one will notice their quality of life decreasing ever so slowly while they squeeze out as much profit as they can by paying these people slave wages. They even have the gall to say that no Americans would do these jobs when in fact most would if paid a fair wage.

by Anonymousreply 49November 12, 2019 8:01 PM

No way this is legal.

Reminds me of those pictures I saw of people living in Hong Kong...

by Anonymousreply 50November 12, 2019 8:06 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 12, 2019 8:08 PM

and not even a pan to piss in.

by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2019 8:30 PM

R38, yes, I read about that too!

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2019 8:31 PM

In ethnic neighborhoods, many immigrants just rent a bed.

by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2019 8:33 PM

I've got an extra bedroom and an unused bathroom for any hot guy who's willing to "pay the price." (No cash needed!)

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2019 11:14 PM

R55! You scamp!

by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2019 11:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!