Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jennifer Lopez OSCAR CONTENDER For Playing Stripper

Jennifer Lopez is getting Oscar buzz for her role as a veteran stripped in "Hustlers"

If she wins the Oscar, she will become only the 2nd actress to win an Oscar for playing a stripper

The first (and only one) to win an Oscar for playing a stripper was Mary Steenburgen in "Melvin & Howard"

Who says there are no meaty roles for women?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2019 7:53 AM

[quote]If she wins the Oscar...

Hahahaahahha!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 2:00 PM

Laura Dern's got it in the bag.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 2:13 PM

For supporting actress it will probably be Laura Dern vs Scarlett Johansson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 2:24 PM

Other than the cast of Magic Mike, have any men ever played strippers/prostitutes?

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 2:27 PM

Jon Voight.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 2:35 PM

Her performance has to be really mind blowing for her to get the Oscar. If it's just a good performance no one is going to give her votes for that. She's got to have deep connections to get the votes necessary or the academy needs to want to give a diversity award to a Latina. Even if diversity is on the agenda this year JLo has to beat out Constance Wu for the POC Oscar nod.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 2:53 PM

Hahahahah, Constance Wu's in contention for fucking nothing. Lopez definitely has threats, but Wu's not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 3:05 PM

Jlos entire career is contrived. It's her team that's trying to create buzz hoping that it will translate into a nomination. Most committee members don't watch all the applications so it can often come down to just who's in the news most.

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 3:08 PM

Just to add that I'm surprised she isn't pushing the diversity angle. Not that it would work. The movie Fairwell is genuinely excellent and has an all Asian cast so this would be the academys opportunity to please the Chinese audience. Also Gugu Mbatha-Raw is a critical darling and shes coming out in that new Ed Norton movie. So yeah, "I'm not white so give it to me" won't work for Jlo.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 3:11 PM

There's no way she'll even be nominated much less win. Her performance isn't anywhere even close to Renee Zellwegger's.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 3:17 PM

Zellweger and Lopez won't even be competing in the same category, so comparing them is no way to make any point. Regardless, Lopez has buzz and is definitely campaigning. She has one of those Actors on Actors Oscar profiles at Variety, which doesn't mean she'll even get nominated, but she's definitely in contention.

[quote] Also Gugu Mbatha-Raw is a critical darling and shes coming out in that new Ed Norton movie.

Hahah, Motherless Brooklyn was, by all means, a blunder, and Gugu's not picking up a nomination for that film... no one is.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 3:21 PM

r9 it's also kind of late for JLo to claim her Latina-ness when in almost all of her movies she plays it like she's a white girl with white leading men.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 3:24 PM

She def will get nominated for a GG, but could be a surprise snub for AA. I'm just surprised that she's going for supporting not lead as it's obvious who the star of the movie is. Well, maybe not surprised. as she no chance for actress.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 3:32 PM

She should get an Oscar nomination for being stacked and sexy at her age.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 3:34 PM

That's predominantly why she'd be getting the nomination. Her physical presence in the film is the highlight, and she's got tons of charisma. It'd be a movie star nom, which happens, but at the same time they're easily snubbable... so we'll see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 3:37 PM

[quote]she plays it like she's a white girl with white leading men.

Well, she *is* a white Latina.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 3:39 PM

It's high time another Puerto Rican actress got the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 3:41 PM

I hope J Lo wins the Oscar for this.

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 3:43 PM

r18 = JLo

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 3:45 PM

Salma Hayek loves to remind people was the FIRST Mexican woman nominated for an Oscar in the Lead Actress Category

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 3:47 PM

She's a Puerto Rican from the Bronx r16 and not the white part of the Bronx.

But she can pretend to be whoever she wants, I'm just saying in her roles she white washed herself to appeal to a white audience. Then when she made music she wanted a pass for using the N world in one of her songs because hey she dated P Diddy and she's down and from the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 3:50 PM

I actually think JLo is a better actress than Salma. However Jennifer has not made as many watchable movies so in the end, advantage Hayek.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 4:01 PM

This old no talent hoe isn't winning ANYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 4:15 PM

Shouldn't it be seen as a good thing for a Hispanic actress to be able to play any ethnicity?

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 4:21 PM

Lopez's star quality helped her transcend race, which allowed her to play opposite leads like Matthew McConaughey. Sometimes public figures become so famous that the racial hangups aren't as limiting. For the Academy, and to the rest of the world, Lopez's nomination would be more about her fame and less about hitting diversity quotas. I think the press will comment on it, but it won't be the driving factor of her nomination.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 4:25 PM

Hispanic =/= ethnicity

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 4:26 PM

Jennifer Lopez is a WHITE Hispanic. I'm confused what you think she transcended? Maybe you mean culturally.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 4:28 PM

I know the Oscars are a pile of stupid shit now, but this car wash cunt is not getting nominated for squat.

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 5:08 PM

J Lo is not white. Please already. Not being black doesn’t make one white. I’m sick of that fake bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 6:56 PM

Jlo is White hispanic!! The only Latina left in that bitch is her ass. When was the last time we saw her (natural) black hair. And she only does Latin music when her career starts to slide. If she gets a nomination it will only be because that sycophant Benny Medina will have done the absolute work of his life in getting her nominated. And of course she’ll go and do her “almost crying” thing on every talk show and interview because she “can’t believe” she’s even being considered. Benny will schmooze his ass off with the right people to get her nominated. R22, there’s no metric in which Jlo is a better actress than Salma. You can literally see her (Jlo) “acting” in her roles...she never becomes the role.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 11:46 PM

When she started out she didn’t look all that white at all. Please.

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 11:50 PM

Is she well liked in Hollywood? Given her bitch reputation, I’d think she must’ve burned a few bridges...would that affect getting a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 2:23 AM

Lopez will definitely be nominated for an Oscar, but she isn't going to win.

That's really all that needs to be said, but far be it for me to stop being from embarrassing themselves I guess.

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2019 2:37 AM

She’s obviously not well liked in Hollywood (unless you count Leah Remini and Kim Kardashian as Hollywood) given that the article where she trashed several actors in the late 90s resurfaced as soon as the Oscar buzz started - Oscar buzz which she generated herself mind you. No JHo, no Oscar for you whore!

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2019 3:08 AM

Nah, her buzz did honestly come from the first screenings of the film. It's not that outlandish that she's a contender. People respond to her performance they way they did Brad Pitt in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Granted that's a better film than Hustlers, and Pitt's better than Lopez, but it's just that star quality fitting with an Oscar-friendly role. She was also the first supporting actress performance worth talking about at the time.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2019 3:19 AM

I’m really not surprised since acting is her craft.

I heard with enough cash anyone can receive an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2019 3:25 AM

R36 Oscars can not be bought. It would be impossible with the way voting is done.

by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2019 3:27 AM

R37 money equals getting their film noticed. If there is at least some substance to the film they can try to promote it. Unfortunately, this backfired for Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 38November 13, 2019 3:30 AM

I don't think an Oscar nomination is guaranteed yet. She could be snubbed.

But as a narrative, it could work - she's had a long career; she has finally found an acting role which fulfills the promise of her early roles (Selena, Out of Sight) before she became the brand of "J-Lo"; she's finally found a role that has given her both commercial and critical success in her post-Gigli movie career.

by Anonymousreply 39November 13, 2019 3:36 AM

What's the big deal? I won an Oscar for playing a hooker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 13, 2019 3:41 AM

Op perhaps there’s only been one Oscar for strippers but you could expand these roles to prostitutes for which there has been at least one Oscar - Elizabeth Taylor, Butterfield 8.

by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2019 4:33 AM

The problem with Jlo is that she’s soo fucking arrogant and narcissistic..I hope she’s not nominated..do you remember when she said Gwyneth Paltrow can be good (as an actress) when directed. I mean she (Jlo) is mediocre. I really do not get that level of narcissism not even Madonna is that ridiculous! Jlo is a very jealous person and seems incapable of seeing others shine. She never complements other women unless it’s in a backhanded way. I feel sorry for shakira having to do the Super Bowl with her.

by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2019 4:40 AM

[Quote] I feel sorry for shakira having to do the Super Bowl with her.

Poor Shakira

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2019 7:53 AM

I guarantee you that Jlo marks white in her government papers. Much like fellow Bronx native Tekashi6ix9ine did. Latina is not a race, it's an ethnicity. That's why she gets cast to play characters written as white. It's also why she was able to build a romcom career. A genre that's exclusively built for white fraus.

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2019 7:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!