Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do I stop my toddlers from outing their famous gay uncle?

A few years ago my brother Sterling married his boyfriend, Cooper. Cooper is a great guy and we love him. He’s also a moderately famous athlete. Cooper isn’t out to the public. I understand and respect this decision: His field can be homophobic and he’s already sick of being seen as the token representative for his race.

By request, I don’t talk about my relationship with Cooper with anyone other than my closest friends, and I don’t share pictures of him on social media. I have twins who are young preschoolers. They adore their uncles. They are, in the way of preschoolers, very chatty. If they see a ball of yarn they will shout, “My nana knits!” and if they see a ball they will shout, “My uncle Cooper plays that!”

I’m worried my kids are going to out Cooper in a way that causes heartache. I’m also worried that they won’t understand that just because our relationship to Cooper is private doesn’t mean it’s shameful. Do you have any advice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2019 8:06 AM

The only way you stop yourself being outed is to be out.

Sorry but that's reality.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 11:17 AM

Ok R1, but this was supposed to be a speculation thread.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 11:19 AM

You don’t. Adults should never burden children with keeping their secrets. Deal with it if it happens. People possibly know anyway and just don’t say.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 11:20 AM

Well unless they say 'My uncle Cooper plays that and he sucks dick' I don't see how they're outing him.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 11:22 AM

Wow, before I scrolled down, and saw Slate, I was sure this was an EST!

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 11:25 AM

Well perhaps if they had better names -- ones that real people have -- we could take this post a little more seriously.

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 11:26 AM

Sterling Cooper. Extremely lowbrow clickbait on SLATE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 11:27 AM

what is the point of these fake threads? this person really has issues and thinks it amusing....get a life, go outside and find a dick to suck, you can write about that and it will be a zillion times more interesting and fun

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 11:31 AM

Put the toddlers on the black market and Sell the bastards .

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 11:37 AM

R7 The letter writer forgot to mention that the famous athlete is married to Salvatore Romano.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 11:40 AM

Well done, r10. And well phrased.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 12:02 PM

R11 thanks !

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 12:08 PM

Kill them.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 12:12 PM

Here's an idea: Tell your brother, Sterling, and his husband, Cooper, to be more brave. Sometimes life isn't about what you do solely for yourself - it's about what you do for the people who come after you. Modelling dignity, self-respect and bravery to multiple generations who come after you is more valuable that anything he can achieve in his profession. Plus, Cooper is making a selfish choice anyway, assuming his colleagues wouldn't respect and support him if they knew who he was - he's robbing them of their opportunity as well.

Mostly though, why would you want to wrangle your children into this web of deception? What are you teaching them? Sure, you can respect people's privacy but let's not pretend that's what's being asked for here - they're are being asked to maintain a cloak of deception, they're being taught not to stand up for themselves and, in this instance, that being gay is wrong and gay people aren't worth fighting for.

I question the validity of this scenario though (slate link not withstanding) because marriage licenses are legal. If he's married to Sterling then Cooper is already on the record as being in a same sex marriage. Any enterprising minds could figure that out in an afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 1:08 PM

OP: Call me.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 1:11 PM

Is it possible to be THAT closeted and married? Nobody knows? His teammates have no idea? His neighbors haven’t noticed? And he has a first name that is so distinctive that preschool teachers will immediately associate it with a specific professional athlete? And immediately understand that he isn’t “just” a family friend? And immediately call the National Enquirer?

Slate is so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 1:20 PM

ask Betty Draper for Carla's phone number. Carla knows how to keep those kids quiet and toe the party line.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 1:30 PM

out and proud and full of fun!

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 1:38 PM

The Internet brims with such fake stories.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 5:15 PM

1. Token representative of his race. 2. Plays with a ball.

Any guesses? Football quarterback? Soccer?

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 6:20 PM

Cooper has no business inflicting his cowardice and his closet on other people. Especially children.

What the hell kind of parent are you, OP, that you would think even for a moment that your small children could harm an adult by telling the truth? Teach your kids to tell the truth and expect the same of Cooper. If he gets harmed in the process, he's being harmed by the lies he is fomenting.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 6:31 PM

This situation must suck.

Fuck, I HATE HOMOPHOBIA!!!!

Anyhow, this won’t sound easy or fun, but everyone involved needs to come out if possible.

Look, observant people aren’t dumb. Believe it or not, most people probably already know. No one’s gonna hate someone because they love and marry a same sex partner. And if they do? FUCK ‘EM.

Seriously. Fuck anyone who’s got a problem with this.

Sending lots of love and support to Sterling & Coop.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 6:40 PM

how can you be gay and call people shameful for being in the closet? you guys are nuts. I agree with R3 though, you shouldn't really burden the children with it? what's the worst that would happen if they told someone? the public would probably never find out

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 6:53 PM

[quote] "I don’t talk about my relationship with Cooper..."

It's his brother and brother-in-law, why does the author have a "relationship" with Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 10:45 PM

Jeremy Lin was the first ballplayer that came to mind.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 10:53 PM

Jeremy Lin has a very active foot fetish.....he basically likes to have a white man stand over him while he sucks and sniffs toes.

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 11:57 PM

Jeremy Lin is a good guess

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2019 12:28 AM

why r u guys suspecting Jeremy Lin?

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2019 1:04 AM

because of the comment about his race: "he’s already sick of being seen as the token representative for his race."

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2019 1:07 AM

Marriage is a public act - in most states, records of marriages and deaths are public record. If the guy was so closeted, I doubt he would risk getting a marriage license. Anyway, you can't have an expectation of privacy in this situation...

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2019 1:09 AM

r30, I don't think the sports media is terribly interested in outing athletes. None of them want to talk about gay shit.

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 1:40 AM

That doesn't matter. There will always be a lowbrow reporter looking to get clicks. Remember when that one guy tried to out Olympic athletes with Grindr?

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 4:09 AM

Well, here’s the thing: When was the last time a toddler outed anyone?

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2019 6:14 AM

Too late bitches. I sold the story to The Enquirer for 300 dollars and a pack of gluten free gummy bears.

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2019 7:04 AM

R34 As long as they were gluten free. None of that glutenized shit for you, Brax

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2019 8:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!