Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Reconstructed English Tudor Edition

Well, tasteful friends, here is something you surely don't see every day. A 1492 stone and timber English Tudor that was dismantled piece by piece in 1923, and eventually wound up reconstructed by the Wanamaker department store outside of Philadelphia. In 1945 it was dismantled once again and brought to a 300-acre parcel of land in the Cleveland, Ohio suburbs. Whether you like it or not, imagine the painstaking craftsmanship that went into piecing this all back together! It was laid out like an English feudal village, with a covered bridge, guest houses, sheep barns and a gatehouse amongst other outbuildings. The house is now on 13.5 acres, and it's hard to tell what remains, but what a fascinating place. Cole Porter, Joan Crawford, and Gloria Swanson were all guests at one point. The estate was subdivided in 1957 and is now for sale again. What say you, DL is this a place you could call home?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 12:36 AM

Not enough pictures at the listing link, but at first sight the place looks pleasant and interesting.

But I can only imagine how drafty and impossible to heat it must be in Ohio winters, with all those single-paned leaded windows...

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2019 7:58 PM

I'd like to host a dinner party in that dining room. Possibly in Elizabethan costume.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2019 9:46 PM

could be cozy. that area of Cleveland gets BIG lake effect snows

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2019 11:25 PM

you lost me at Ohio

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2019 11:43 PM

And you can buy it for the price of nice 1 bedroom or OK 2 bedroom condo in Manhattan because: Cleveland

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2019 11:56 PM

Love it. Just like home. I’m in the UK

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 12:04 AM

Love it. Didn't expect to but love it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 12:22 AM

There’s already been a thread on this OP. Would it have killed you to have done a search first before you posted this? I mean really? What’s wrong with having a little consideration for others and doing a search first? Would it really have been that hard? Would it?

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 12:23 AM

I like the Ye Olde Poole.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 12:58 AM

Ye Olde Poole needs some rethinking. Gorgeous woodwork

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 3:06 AM

R2 Imagine! You and your closest eldergay frenemies all dressed up as Queen Elizabeth I. Not an Essex to be found.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 3:38 AM

It would be interesting to see the original building before it was redesigned.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 3:48 AM

Nice. Like the history. Though definitely modernized and am curious how much is original. Clearly some woodwork and one low ceilings room. But that triple height room was either re assembled differently or just used wood to create a new room.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 4:11 AM

Is the a Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe in it?

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 5:34 AM

It's too dark.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 12:08 PM

R15... usually I feel the same thing about that style and this is only one I've seen that I like... the ceilings, even where comparatively low, still feel high enough for me that the place is cozy rather than dim and cramped.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 1:18 PM

Creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 12:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!