Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors who aren't untalented....but you never really warmed to them, for whatever reason.

I'm not talking about actors you hate because of their personal lives, or actors you hate to watch because they don't have any talent......but actors you never warmed to on the screen DESPITE their talent

For me, it's Nicole Kidman. I think she's given good performances in most of the things I've seen her in, she just always seems so blah to me.

by Anonymousreply 158April 21, 2020 1:04 AM

Keanu Reeves.

People drool over him and blather on about his "talent," and I just don't see either.

But different strokes for different folks.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2019 4:04 AM

There are people who think Keanu Reeves is talented? People who have actually seen his movies?!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2019 4:06 AM

Nicole can be very chilly.

So she is good in a very chilly role.

I thought she was very good in Big Little Lies.

The only film I loved her in was To Die For. She was actually funny, something I thought was beyond her.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2019 4:06 AM

Charlize Theron owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2019 4:07 AM

Pretty much all of them.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2019 4:07 AM

Natalie Portman tbh

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2019 4:08 AM

Meryl Streep.

Tick tock.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2019 4:09 AM

r2, Keanu Reeves is what you call a bad actor with charisma. He just has a natural likeable charm.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2019 4:10 AM

Kristen Bell

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2019 4:11 AM

Gary Valentine

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2019 4:14 AM

Robert DeNiro. I've never been impressed with either his performances or his real-life personality, if you can call it that.

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2019 4:37 AM

Malcolm McDowell - He's very talented. He just irks me, I don't know why.

Phil Davis - He's an English character actor. Again, he just irks me. Link below.

Billy Bob Thornton - somewhat talented. I can't watch anything he has a major role in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2019 4:41 AM

I don't really consider Reeves likeable. Handsome and dumb seeming. I guess the the latter gives him a certain likeability to some.

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2019 4:47 AM

Christopher Reeve always left me unmoved.

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2019 4:50 AM

Robert Downey Jr. Y'all can have him.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2019 4:53 AM

Keanu Reeves is just gorgeous to look at. Oh yes, Speed when he says fuck me. Yes, please!

He's just beautiful. I wonder what his dick feels like. I heard he's gay. His new gf certainly seems like a beard. He just seems cool too. Like a good friend who would be there for you and not flake out. He's a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2019 5:14 AM

No one bearding as 55 is cool.

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2019 5:16 AM

Kidman is a good example. She really can not successfully portray any real humanity or warmth at all. Her most convincing role was as a British Frau who went insane and offed her children.

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2019 5:29 AM

R4 Theron has an enormously mean and cold presence. But she can be quite effective when the directors cast her in a role similar to her personality . Casting her as Megan Kelly was a stroke of genius.

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2019 5:34 AM

Mickey Rooney

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2019 5:35 AM

Agree with Natalie Portman.

Also: Sean Penn

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2019 4:03 PM

Michelle Williams

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2019 4:20 PM

Kelly Rowland.

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2019 4:21 PM

Nicole Kidman

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2019 4:22 PM

Jodie Foster. I don't think she's that great of an actress and she's overrated. She's good, not amazing.

Natalie Portman. She cries in every movie. Every. Damn. Movie. What a weenie.

Humphrey Bogart. I don't care for any of the characters he played or his "persona".

by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2019 4:25 PM

[quote]Michelle Williams

I would have agreed with this until I saw her play Gwen Verdon.

She brought so much warmth to that role. And Michelle is not a warm person, so that is just great acting.

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2019 5:00 PM

I'm in the same camp with Michelle Williams. I didn't get her at all until Fosse/Verdon and thought she was excellent.

Nicole Kidman's personal best will always be To Die For. I think that role gave her the most to do. She got to be glamorous, funny, cold as ice, and scary all at once.

Charlize Theron has never been more perfectly cast than in a small movie called Young Adult where she played a cold, alcoholic former beauty queen who comes back to her home town to win back her former flame, destroying the lives of everyone around her. She was so believable as a self-absorbed monster that I think it scared people a little bit. I was shocked she didn't get an Oscar nom, but she forgoes any ounce of sympathy throughout. To me, it was a better feat than her performance in Monster.

by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2019 5:11 PM

Julianne Moore. I think she's a good actress, if not especially versatile. I actually like her. But she leaves me completely unbothered. There is something incredibly bland about her that smothers every character she's in.

Liam Neeson. A concerned dad in every part he's ever played. He could play Divine the drag queen and still remain a concerned pops.

Naomi Watts. There's literally nothing wrong with her. NOTHING. Yet I can hardly even remember what her face looks like after all these years. She just fails to leave an impression on me, like a faceless person who is so average that it's like she barely exists as an individual.

by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2019 5:14 PM

Russell Crowe. I don't get why he was considered attractive, even back in the day. He can definitely act--The Insider, LA Confidential, etc.--but I don't get why he was considered so hot and I find watching him a bit dull.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2019 5:16 PM

Amy Adams. I don’t think she’s a bad actress, just nondescript. I don’t know how she has been able to generate such enthusiasm from directors, who constantly throw plum roles her way, or from her peers in the Academy who nominate her so frequently.

by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2019 5:18 PM

My dear friend Glenn is only convincing when playing a man or perhaps a mannish woman.

by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2019 5:18 PM

R28, in terms of looks, Naomie Watts is this century's answer to Sandra Dee. She could easily be any blonde girl out there. I think that's what makes her perfect in Mulholland Drive. You have no idea that she is really "Diane" because she plays the part of the perky blonde so well.

by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2019 5:21 PM

R21, Penn's politics are pretty off-putting. He loves Hugo Chavez, of all people. He has a smugness about him that makes him insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2019 5:28 PM

Agreed, R32. Naomi's like the girls famous athletes used to date back in the 90s (I'm not counting today's WAGs because they're all "enhanced"). All were blonde, with the same unremarkably pretty features and no personality. It was like everyone was dating clones of the same woman. Like Corinna:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2019 5:33 PM

Leo. Excellent actor. His performance in The Revenant was engrossing. He was the best Gatsby of all the Great Gatsbys. I admire and appreciate his efforts to save the environment. And yet I have always disliked his face and personality.

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2019 5:37 PM

Michelle Williams (yes, she was very good in Fosse/Verdon, but *only* that), Naomi Watts, Charlize Theron, Julianne Moore, and Matt Damon.

I don’t necessarily think Damon’s a bad actor, but I just don’t like watching him onscreen at all—I don’t even like seeing him interviewed. He just leaves me cold.

by Anonymousreply 36November 11, 2019 5:39 PM

Maura Tierney.

by Anonymousreply 37November 11, 2019 5:43 PM

Leo Decaprio.

I never believe him as an adult. He always looks like an alcoholic child on a bender.

by Anonymousreply 38November 11, 2019 5:44 PM

Christian Bale- to the point that I didn't realize he and Eric Bana were not the same person. so I guess Erin Bana too.

by Anonymousreply 39November 11, 2019 5:45 PM

Not Charlotte Rae. She twinkles in every scene she ever did.

by Anonymousreply 40November 11, 2019 5:47 PM

Amy Adams usually leaves me cold. Same with Jessica Chastain. It's not like they're bad, but they just bore me.

Rooney Mara is the worst and I have no idea why she was nominated for an Oscar for barely moving her face for 2 hours. I've seen mannequins that were more expressive.

by Anonymousreply 41November 11, 2019 5:48 PM

Fiennes. He's such a good actor. And utterly boring to me.

by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2019 5:52 PM

R27: I totally agree, Theron is scary in Monster but is scarier in a way in Young Adult. And a great actress in both.

by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2019 5:57 PM

Scarlett Johansson. Overrated actress with a big mouth.

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2019 6:07 PM

DiCaprio in certain things like The Aviator sounds like he's reading lines. Not speaking naturally. Some of these actors don't have the experience of the old-time actors (like Spencer Tracy) who made 3 or 4 films a year sometimes, and came from repertory theater. And they never will get that level of experience. Even some of the younger ones only work every two years, or something. You can't learn.

Meryl Street has always left me cold, I just DON'T GET IT.

Kidman was great in To Die For where she had to play a soulless narcissistic killer bitch. Not saying she is one. lol But she's just not warm on screen. She's like soulless Deborah Kerr.

Also I like Julie Andrews but she never really moved me, she's not much of an emotional actress.

by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2019 6:09 PM

I think Kidman is also great in Eyes Wide Shut, another role where her coldness works for her.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2019 6:12 PM

Hate to bring up the controversial (on DL, anyway) subject of Kevin Spacey, but I've seen many of his films, and he's terrible. It leaves me shaking my head every time that he's called a great actor. Daniel Day Lewis is a great actor. Spacey is a creepy sneering weirdo and played every role the same way. Only thing I can say for him is that he does do some very good impressions (of better actors).

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2019 6:56 PM

R47, what Hepburn said about Streep can also be said about Spacey: "click click click."

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2019 7:09 PM

[R47] Agree about Spacey.

Also I dislike Tobey Maguire. And Sean Penn. The one exception was Spicoli in Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2019 11:27 PM

Tobey Maguire comes across so douche-y on the screen

by Anonymousreply 50November 12, 2019 1:24 AM

Donna Douglas. She didn't really sell it on Beverly Hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 51November 12, 2019 1:37 AM

r14, well for half his career he literally couldn't move.

by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2019 1:57 AM

La Lansbury. Talented lady, but again and again she bounces her shoulders up and down, tosses her head around and rolls (and rolls) her eyes. Bleccchhh.

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2019 2:39 AM

Spencer Tracy

by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2019 3:09 AM

I think Nicole Kiddman is great.

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2019 3:18 AM

Kidman doesn't belong on this thread - she has no talent.

by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2019 3:30 AM

I'll second R56. Kidman is not an actress. She's a poser - she stands there making poses, trying to guess what a real actor would do in a given dramatic circumstances. This is why she was indeed very effective in To Die For - the character she was playing was exactly like this. But it was not good acting - it was bad acting extremely well used.

by Anonymousreply 57November 12, 2019 5:15 AM

Ryan Reynolds is so charmless, rat-faced, smug and unfunny to me. He can act, but I find him so off putting and I'll never get his appeal.

by Anonymousreply 58November 12, 2019 5:17 AM

Johnny Depp. Even before it was revealed he was a creep and he started being in crappy movies I just never liked the guy.

by Anonymousreply 59November 12, 2019 5:23 AM

I agree with the Charlize Theron comments; she can act but I find her so unlikeable that I actively avoid her films these days.

I prefer Nicole Kidman who has shown a bit more warmth and character both on and off-screen (although no where near Kate Winslet levels; I love Kate and can watch her in literally anything).

Sean Penn's a twat. The less said about him the better.

by Anonymousreply 60November 12, 2019 6:53 AM

This thread is frautastic.

by Anonymousreply 61November 12, 2019 7:53 AM

I have always hated Spacey. He has that smug smarminess of a rapist, not unlike Pill Cosby. Edward Norton is disgusting. Always hated him. Bad actor. Revolting personality.

by Anonymousreply 62November 12, 2019 7:58 AM

Actually, I think Kidman has become the female Tom Hanks - plays the same basic role over & over again, but is reliably good performer in even stinker movies

Another vote for Natalie Portman, though now that she's no longer the young ingenue, she doesn't seem to have much range

Saoirse Ronan - she's undeniably talented, but seems too cold & aloof for any role other than the "strong headed young lass" - plus she's just hyped to death, which is why I'm a big relieved that Pugh chick seems to be The Next Big Thing

by Anonymousreply 63November 12, 2019 8:20 AM

you named my biggest famous one r63- Tom Hanks. everyone thinks he's charming, I find him smarmy and avoid all his movies

by Anonymousreply 64November 12, 2019 11:06 AM

Other than The Talented Mr. Ripley, I find Matt Damon dull. Good actor, sure, but he looks like a labrador in human form and I'm just kind of repulsed by him.

Agree with R58 about Ryan Reynolds. The only interesting thing about him is that he was Alanis's fucktoy. He is smug and bland.

by Anonymousreply 65November 12, 2019 11:31 AM

Yeah, Kevin Spacey is an aggressively bad actor and I am warm with the glow of internet validation for the agreement on this opinion, which no one I know irl agrees with.'

Leo overrated. Good, even very good as a teen/very young man. No longer. I can feel him "acting."

Keanu in The Matrix (first one) has the platonic ideal male body. Actual perfection.

Agree on Michelle Williams, Naomi Watts and Tom Hanks.

Ralph Fiennes is one of the top 2-3 actors of his generation. He was fucking amazing in semi-forgotten 90s masterpiece Strange Days.

by Anonymousreply 66November 12, 2019 11:31 AM

Tom Hanks.

by Anonymousreply 67November 12, 2019 11:34 AM

Hillary Swank.

by Anonymousreply 68November 12, 2019 11:36 AM

I have a strong irrational dislike of America's Sweetheart, Tom Hanks. At least I'm not the only one.

Matt Damon is the next Tom Hanks except somehow I do like him. But Affleck never moves me.

by Anonymousreply 69November 12, 2019 11:43 AM

Henry Cavill. I liked him in The Tudors but then he came to America and DL's obsession with him made him seem even shallower than he is. There was never a massive amount of talent there, but a passable one.

by Anonymousreply 70November 12, 2019 11:48 AM

Walter Bagehot was the British writer etc. who penned the line "We must not let daylight in upon the magic." I can't tell you the number of Twitter feeds or Instagrams I've read where I've closed the window thinking: really liked your work but now I know you're a fucking idiot.

I think the internet and social media have destroyed celebrity... we know them too well... they help us know them too well and generally, take away the fame and the glamour and the good looks, and they're as idiotic and unlikeable as most of the people we have to contend with each day in real life. The strength of stardom, back in the day, was the ability to manufacture the image off and on screen. Which makes me less inclined to buy what they're selling.

We really must not let daylight in upon the magic.

by Anonymousreply 71November 12, 2019 11:52 AM

I agree with r71 -- with all its flaws and problems, I sort of miss the old Hollywood myth-machine that died in the early 00s. Glad I saw the end of it, in particular during the 80s, when it was perfected.

by Anonymousreply 72November 12, 2019 1:39 PM

R17 He's not bearding. It's not like he hasn't dated women before

by Anonymousreply 73November 12, 2019 1:44 PM

I own this thread!

by Anonymousreply 74November 12, 2019 1:44 PM

Laura Dern, Laura Linney - never really warmed to them.

by Anonymousreply 75November 12, 2019 1:44 PM

r70 - oh there is a massive talent there - you just have to be lucky enough to see it :)

by Anonymousreply 76November 12, 2019 1:45 PM

Laura Linney? we couldn't be more different, I love Laura Linney, she has this natural effervescence, really pleasant to watch on or off screen, and she can act!

by Anonymousreply 77November 12, 2019 1:54 PM

We?

by Anonymousreply 78November 12, 2019 1:55 PM

Patricia Clarkson

by Anonymousreply 79November 12, 2019 4:06 PM

I sort of agree on Tom Hanks, but mostly during this century only. I recently re-watched 'Big' after not viewing it for decades and I was kind of surprised how genuinely charming and even kind of sexy Tom Hanks was then (I was only 9 when it came out). He definitely had a natural earnestness and sincerity that seems to have been lost more recently. Maybe it was a youth thing, but now he seems like he performs on autopilot and his acting comes across as rather perfunctory.

by Anonymousreply 80November 12, 2019 4:48 PM

R52 way to hit the joke over the head, Joan.

by Anonymousreply 81November 12, 2019 4:51 PM

William Holden

Glenn Ford

Irene Dunne

by Anonymousreply 82November 12, 2019 4:56 PM

R66 I wish more people knew about Strange Days! Fantastic film.

by Anonymousreply 83November 12, 2019 5:02 PM

Would it have killed you to have at least posted a picture or link? I mean would that have been so hard? Would it? Why don’t you try to think more of others next time before you post?

by Anonymousreply 84November 12, 2019 5:05 PM

I agree, r83. 'Strange Days' is fantastic! Great cast and awesome soundtrack. I kind of think it was ahead of it's time, but because it's centered around the turn of the century, it became dated soon after. I think it's kind of a fun time capsule film now that sort of captures the tension building up to the new millennium.

by Anonymousreply 85November 12, 2019 5:10 PM

AnnE Hathaway and Hilary Swank. I would pay NOT to see them in anything. Also agree with posters who said Michele Williams- so bland and boring. (Marilyn Monroe? Not on this planet or the next, hun. Not even close.) Also cannot stand the hideous and contrived Rooney Mara. (You're name is Pat IRL and you would not have a career without nepotism). Kate Hudson is also unwatchable, other than in Almost Famous.

by Anonymousreply 86November 12, 2019 5:14 PM

Rooney Mara is a good one. She isn't untalented, but she's completely charisma-free.

by Anonymousreply 87November 12, 2019 5:47 PM

Barbra Streisand. Great voice, but she doesn't know how to sell a song. She thinks slowing the tempo and stretching out the notes adds drama, but it just puts me to sleep. She can be good in comedy, but she always seemed to fancy herself as a dramatic actress even though all of her dramatic movies and performances have sucked.

Give me a Judy or Liza any day of the week. They had powerful voice and wonderful song interpretation skills.

by Anonymousreply 88November 12, 2019 6:28 PM

I do think some people like Tom Hanks started out well. He was likable and charming, but he's been on auto pilot for years. I think once some people get awards and accolades, they don't have anything left to prove, so they just shuffle along, turning out forgettable claptrap. There's no passion or drive anymore and every role is just another job.

by Anonymousreply 89November 12, 2019 6:35 PM

Denzel Washington

by Anonymousreply 90November 12, 2019 6:37 PM

I love Nicole Kidman as an actor. I’ll watch anything she does, despite her surgical facial disordering. Also love Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet, Claire Danes.

Charlize Theron, Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon do nothing for me at all and they seem to be beloved. They are talented actors. And I have no interest in watching them act. I really appreciate Julianne Moore as an actor, but I don’t really have a strong interest in her for some reason.

Most male actors do little for me, but I actively avoid Tom Cruise, James Franco and Bradley Cooper movies. I just cannot stand them.

by Anonymousreply 91November 12, 2019 6:43 PM

Julianne Moore, seriously

by Anonymousreply 92November 12, 2019 6:53 PM

Absolutely agree on Tom Cruise; cheeeezee!

by Anonymousreply 93November 12, 2019 6:59 PM

R83 Glad someone else appreciates it. Juliette Lewis was also amazing in it. Fiennes' performance honestly blew me away. My favourite kind of unshowy, totally believable performance. That kiss at the end is still one of the most romantic I've seen in a film.

by Anonymousreply 94November 12, 2019 7:07 PM

Gwyneth Goop Paltrow. I could never stand her (with the exception of Talented Mr. Ripley where the whole ensemble was spectacular). Adrien Brody annoys me too. Thank goodness you don't see him in much anymore. Today, Anna Kendrick is someone I turn off the moment she comes on the screen. I don't know why either.

by Anonymousreply 95November 12, 2019 7:21 PM

I avoid Cruise too... I don't really think he's terribly talented in any event... but more than that I think he's a bizarre fool.

I went off Hanks after the gushy, soppy, weepy Oscar acceptance for Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 96November 12, 2019 7:23 PM

Gwyneth has done some of my favorite performances: Emma, Talented Mr. Ripley, Proof, Shakespeare in Love, Sylvia, Royal Tenenbaums.

You know, I find Julienne Moore to be bland and not all that compelling onscreen but I feel like I would love her as a human being. Gwyneth is the opposite of that.

by Anonymousreply 97November 12, 2019 7:26 PM

Kiera Knightley

Benedict Cumberbatch

by Anonymousreply 98November 12, 2019 7:28 PM

I never warm to Helena Bonham Carter's work. I know I'm supposed to. But I don't.

by Anonymousreply 99November 12, 2019 7:34 PM

Madonna. She’s just—oh, wait, what? You said who ARE talented? Sorry, my mistake.

by Anonymousreply 100November 12, 2019 7:36 PM

Ezra miller

by Anonymousreply 101November 12, 2019 7:44 PM

George Clooney. He's talented - but he's seems like he's so unapproachable. I can't imagine him relaxing his sphincter enough to take a crap.

by Anonymousreply 102November 12, 2019 7:46 PM

Edward Norton has a nerdy voice and an off-putting face. I've never warmed to Michael Keaton either.

by Anonymousreply 103November 12, 2019 8:25 PM

James McAvoy, Olivia Wilde, Sam Claflin, Maisie Williams, John Krasinski, Jason Sudeikis, Matthew Macfadyen.

by Anonymousreply 104November 12, 2019 8:28 PM

Hillary Swank! totally agree, never got it. Ever. Charlize Theron as well.

by Anonymousreply 105November 12, 2019 8:39 PM

Yesss R95 Anna Kendrick is a lot like AnnE Hathaway to me. A way too thirsty try-hard. You know she was an annoying as fuck drama geek in high school. If I ever hear that fucking Long Way Round song again I will shoot myself. I bet you anything she was pissed she didn't get the lead in Twilight, complaining to her mom and her manager "I'm WAAAAAY more talented than her!!"

by Anonymousreply 106November 12, 2019 8:41 PM

I will never understand the appeal of John Krazinski; he's strictly character-actor material, yet Hollywood seems intent of making him some kind of lead. Also, no matter what she plays, his wife Emily Blunt comes off as the same aloof, icy bitch she played in "The Devil Wears Prada"

by Anonymousreply 107November 12, 2019 8:44 PM

Agree about Blunt and Krasinski

by Anonymousreply 108November 12, 2019 8:47 PM

Kraskinski is nerdy hot. I like him. I like Blunt, too, but she can be a tad icy.

by Anonymousreply 109November 12, 2019 8:51 PM

I loathe Krazinski. I want to punch his face a billion times! With a metal baseball bat. I have liked Emily Blunt in a few things.

by Anonymousreply 110November 12, 2019 9:04 PM

No, I enjoy a lot of movies with these actors in and I think they are talented but they either seem cold or they bore me... Kiera Knightley, Natalie Portman, Daniel Day Lewis (sorry!), Naomi Watts, Kate Blanchett (sorry again!) lol.

by Anonymousreply 111November 12, 2019 9:08 PM

The appeal of Paul Rudd is lost on me.

by Anonymousreply 112November 12, 2019 9:37 PM

Any old hollywood stars?

by Anonymousreply 113November 12, 2019 10:12 PM

I get it was the style of acting then but I find Bette Davis overrated as a declared all time great actor. She was quite hammy.

by Anonymousreply 114November 12, 2019 10:20 PM

I shall never recover from R114’s hurtful words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 12, 2019 10:41 PM

R115 dont get me wrong I like her in some stuff like All About Eve and I even enjoy her campiness in Baby Jane but she always has a shtick and isnt very versatile. Though I guess most actors do. I still think she is good just not as good as others claim and I dont care for many of her performances.

by Anonymousreply 116November 12, 2019 10:45 PM

Helen Hunt, but she’s a talented director.

by Anonymousreply 117November 12, 2019 10:53 PM

I agree about Julianne Moore. She is always so...nice. The blandest of the bland. Joaquin Phoenix is one I have never liked (except he was kind of ok in Her). I can never get over how ugly he is. Tends to overact. Scarlet Johansson is never more than adequate IMO. Have always detested Keira Knightly with her horrible mouth movements when she talks. Have never liked DiCaprio except in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He was moderately good in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" but that part was written for him. Brad Pitt usually doesn't do it for me but he was great in "Once." I think he should get a best supporting nomination for that--his best role ever IMO. Oh yeah, have never liked Bradley Cooper. He's a decent actor but I don't find him attractive (nice eyes is about it). I have trouble going to see things he's in. And his former costar Jennifer Lawrence totally leaves me cold. Don't even think she's more than average looking.

As for classic Hollywood--I've always thought Elizabeth Taylor was almost talent-free, although I agree that she was very beautiful in her heyday. Redford always left me cold--had almost zero range.

by Anonymousreply 118November 12, 2019 10:57 PM

R118 Liz Taylor is extremely over rated like James Dean, just not as super gay acting. James Dean's "method"acting or whatever the fuck that was is just fucking retarded. The scene in the cop shop where he is talking to the cop and plays with the toy. That whole scene was embarrassingly over the top. As was the scene with "you're tearing me apart". Awful and retarded.

by Anonymousreply 119November 13, 2019 1:43 AM

Retard. Over acting queen.

by Anonymousreply 120November 13, 2019 1:45 AM

R97 I'm not hugely interested in Moore when she is playing her nice girl roles but I thought she was fantastic in Maps to The Stars. She played a washed up, mentally ill mega bitch actress and Moore just went all OUT and I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 121November 13, 2019 1:54 AM

Katharine Hepburn

by Anonymousreply 122November 13, 2019 3:42 AM

In my opinion, Meryl has never gotten lost in a role the way Glen or Jessica Lange has. I am always reminded this is a highly trained person, "acting". Many of her dramatic moments seem so calculated. Don't get me wrong she is talented and often quite effective, but she just doesn't it for me the way her more talented peers do.

by Anonymousreply 123November 14, 2019 1:49 AM

Matt Damon - Comes across smarmy in all his roles

Ewan Mcgregor - Can't do an American accent to save his life.

Jude Law - Total bore

George Clooney - Same

by Anonymousreply 124November 14, 2019 1:53 AM

Glenn seems more artificial than Meryl to me

by Anonymousreply 125November 14, 2019 2:10 AM

Sandy Bullock has gone much further in acting than her level of talent deserves.

by Anonymousreply 126November 14, 2019 2:30 AM

I’ve given zero shits about Christian Bale since Portrait Of A Lady.

Matt Damon is a pleasant man but not a good actor.

Julianne Moore acts with her gums. She gets a lot of credit for being a woman in her 50s that men in their 30s don’t mind admitting they want to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 127November 14, 2019 2:33 AM

Johnny Depp. He can act, but the "I'm quirky" schtick got really stale.

by Anonymousreply 128November 14, 2019 2:43 AM

If Glenn hadn't played the bunny boiler she would be long forgotten by now.

by Anonymousreply 129November 14, 2019 2:50 AM

G

by Anonymousreply 130November 14, 2019 4:35 AM

Depp and DiCaprio are two examples of actors who never lived up to their initial promise and have frankly become bores on screen, regardless of their technical skill.

by Anonymousreply 131November 14, 2019 7:00 AM

[quote] Ryan Reynolds is so charmless, rat-faced, smug and unfunny to me. He can act, but I find him so off putting and I'll never get his appeal.

I forget the sitcom he was on when he was younger but he was so obnoxious in that "I think I'm funny" kind of way, I hoped and thought he was someone we wouldn't hear about again. Wow was I wrong.

I have nothing against Jason Bateman I guess but his elevation to movie star in middle age after being a kind of half-assed fair, monotonous actor in sitcoms is totally baffling to me.

by Anonymousreply 132November 14, 2019 1:30 PM

Jonah Hill. I hate the sight and sound of him. Even in Moneyball.

by Anonymousreply 133November 14, 2019 4:03 PM

R132 Jason Bateman was the glue that held AD together plus he is very good on Ozark.

by Anonymousreply 134November 14, 2019 4:10 PM

Agree about Jason Bateman.

by Anonymousreply 135November 14, 2019 4:28 PM

r133: Agree--Jonah Hill's ascendance has been a mystery to me. Who is his fan base exactly? And now we have his stubby little sister. I couldn't stand that movie Booksmart she was in--ridiculously overrated.

by Anonymousreply 136November 14, 2019 6:02 PM

I think Jonah Hill's ascendancy is strictly due to his association with Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen. The late 00s/early part of this decade was huge for Apatow's movies. But when looking at Hill by himself, he just seems like a cyclically-fat loser.

by Anonymousreply 137November 14, 2019 6:35 PM

I would normally agree about Jason Bateman but then I saw tye movie 'Bad Words' and it quickly moved into my favorite movies list.

the HB thread reminded me, I have never liked Halle Berry. I think she's a terrible actress and do not get the hype but she's won an Oscar so I am clearly in the minority with this opinion re her acting abilities

by Anonymousreply 138November 14, 2019 6:41 PM

R138, I think you meant "she's won an Oscar so I am clearly in the majority with this opinion".

by Anonymousreply 139November 14, 2019 6:45 PM

This is a thread for actors who respect but don't really LIKE, not a thread for trashing actors you think aren't talented in any way, shape, or form

by Anonymousreply 140November 14, 2019 6:47 PM

r140, Thanks. Some people are getting this thread off track.

by Anonymousreply 141November 14, 2019 8:31 PM

Colin Firth

by Anonymousreply 142November 14, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote] This is a thread for actors who respect but don't really LIKE, not a thread for trashing actors you think aren't talented in any way, shape, or form

I don't really understand the premise. If I don't like an actor I don't usually respect them.

by Anonymousreply 143November 14, 2019 11:02 PM

Matthew Rhys

by Anonymousreply 144November 14, 2019 11:03 PM

r143, We don't respect your idiocy. Please go away from this thread and do no return.

by Anonymousreply 145November 14, 2019 11:04 PM

R145 Okay, as long as you're here that sounds pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 146November 15, 2019 12:10 AM

Christian Bale Nicole Kidman 'Laura Dern Leonardo DiCaprio

by Anonymousreply 147April 15, 2020 6:32 PM

R140 Your thread policing killed it

by Anonymousreply 148April 18, 2020 6:13 PM

Leo has become too predictable. He was a better child actor then an adult actor. He's talented but leaves me cold. I think he has quite a chilly, detached personality so his performances lack a certain "oomph ".

Amy Adams is talented as well but is a bit too "girl next door " to interest me. Audiences like her because she seems like a typical all American suburban girl but her I've never found her performances gripping, even when I can objectively acknowledge they're good. She actually reminds me of an upscale Jenna Fischer

by Anonymousreply 149April 18, 2020 7:02 PM

Robin Williams

by Anonymousreply 150April 18, 2020 10:38 PM

r150, Robin Williams is one of the most talented people of all time. He had more talent in pinky finger than your entire self. Please don't ever disrespect a legend you no taste having young thot.

by Anonymousreply 151April 19, 2020 2:09 AM

Kate Hepburn - I hate her Yankee accent and her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Repulsive closeted lesbian and a mean shrill woman.

Michael Douglas - also repulsive

Matt Damon - bloated and pale lifeless man

by Anonymousreply 152April 19, 2020 2:19 AM

don't you just like idol worshipers like R151? anyway, never get Robin Williams, legend? talented? whatever, not my cup of tea!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 19, 2020 2:58 AM

[quote] Robin Williams is one of the most talented people of all time. He had more talent in pinky finger than your entire self. Please don't ever disrespect a legend you no taste having young thot.

A agree...with the other poster. I guess he was 'talented' but I never got it. I wouldn't have walked across the street to see him perform or in a film. When Hollywood could tone him down he was bearable.

Remember this is a thread letting people say who they didn't ever warm to.

by Anonymousreply 154April 19, 2020 1:06 PM

r154, You are right. The sheer astonishment of the statement made me forget the thread's intent. Apologies.

by Anonymousreply 155April 20, 2020 6:57 PM

I've warmed to Christian Bale's ass a number of times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 20, 2020 7:20 PM

William Holden

by Anonymousreply 157April 20, 2020 7:29 PM

R155 Oh hey that's okay. I'm about to try not to freak out about R157. lol

by Anonymousreply 158April 21, 2020 1:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!