Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Australia on fire: Bushfires spreading rapidly

Catastrophic conditions will continue to get worse by Tuesday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2019 10:03 AM

Welcome to our world . . .

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2019 3:42 AM

Yep it's bad

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2019 3:56 AM

The Deputy PM said that now is not the time to discuss global warming's connection to the bushfires and that only "inner city lunatics" care about climate change.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2019 3:58 AM

That only shows how much his moronic evangelical ass is out-of-touch R3. No help coming from them obviously. I personally don't know any ordinary citizen who denies the accelerating effect of climate change on this land. My opinion is that Australia is one of the climate frontlines, while much of North America is way back in a safety zone.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2019 4:07 AM

Just as our Fire Season is winding down, Australia's is ramping up!

Anyone in Oz wanna buy my N95 masks and air filter machines?

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2019 6:40 AM

[quote] Australia on fire: Bushfires spreading rapidly

Situation normal in a largely desert continent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2019 7:47 AM

It’s horribly smoggy here, and it’s playing havoc with my asthma.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2019 7:59 AM

Hey, Austrialia!

How do you get electric power to high-risk areas?

Because here in California, so many wildfires have been started by power lines coming down in high winds, that on high-risk days the power company just turns power off to millions. Have you lot found a way around that problem?

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2019 8:16 AM

[quote] How do you get electric power to high-risk areas?

Underground or old school telegraph poles.

Most fires are caused by humans by accident, which is very easy during a drought.

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2019 11:29 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2019 5:18 PM

Just read revised figure of 600 school closures..

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2019 5:22 PM

Must be a lot of Deplorables in Oz as well to have the PM and Deputy PM they do.

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2019 6:43 PM

Australia is on fire because that’s how eucalyptus trees evolved to reproduce. They are filled with highly flammable eucalyptus oil that encourages immolation so they can explode and spread their seeds.

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2019 7:15 PM

Look on the bright side, annual massive conflagrations will become a major and desperately needed source of employment.

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2019 7:18 PM

What a nightmare. Those poor people!

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2019 7:20 PM

I wish all that smoke would cover the White House.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2019 7:29 PM

Hummmm, are their a lot of trees around the White House? Do we have any agent orange left?

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2019 7:32 PM

Well genius, if the Australian fires generate so much smoke they can cover the White House the world won't have much to eat next year.

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2019 9:06 PM

The level of danger is becoming too much as no news networks have carried it. Unfathomable 100K homes threatened, and here we are totally unconcerned or uninvolved

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 4:56 AM

I love outside of Sydney, the smoke arrived today, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 6:03 AM

I am concerned with the local newspapers being behind a pay wall after 4 articles updates about the fires won’t disseminate.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 6:07 AM

That's really fucked, R21. The cheapskate Sacramento Bee (from N. California) even suspended all fire coverage for their $13 monthly fee for fire related articles. I guess they're wagering families will be back and paying up once the danger has passed. Um....

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 6:56 AM

Up to 350 koala's die in bushfires.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 6:58 AM

Why doesn't SLOMO(Prime Minister Scott Morrison)'s god stop the fires?

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 7:36 AM

Barnaby Joyce, infamous feuder with Amber Heard and married Conservative Catholic who has Two love children with a staffer says bushfire victims are Greens voters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 9:19 AM

I want to know how Barnaby got his children christened in the Catholic church when they're bastard children and the fruit of adultery? Money and influence clearly speaks louder than the word of god. Wouldn't happen if it were the common man on the street.

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 9:23 AM

Most of those people affected in the fires would vote National if they're country people. If he means by Green voters that they're properties burnt because they didn't burn off. you're no longer allowed to burn off. You need permits. I could also say Joyce lost his seat as DPM because he didn't put a rubber on it. Daft cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 9:26 AM

Barnaby; ugly name, ugly man, ugly soul

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 9:28 AM

Gotta love blaming the Greens for anything - it's not like coalition has been in charge for all but 6 of the last 23 years. What a fuckwit.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 9:41 AM

A catastrophe can't "get worse." It's already the worst.

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 9:44 AM

[Quote] Barnaby Joyce, infamous feuder with Amber Heard and married Conservative Catholic who has Two love children with a staffer says bushfire victims are Greens voters.

What a drongo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2019 10:05 AM

Is someone saving the koalas?

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2019 10:11 AM

[quote]A catastrophe can't "get worse."

Wanna bet?

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2019 10:12 AM

I’m not in NSW. I’m in Qld, there was a fire 3 km from our house today and the winds were 40km an hour. Horrific.

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2019 10:13 AM

estimated 450 koalas are dead. Poor koalas. They didn't vote for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2019 10:23 AM

Apathy kills, r35.

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2019 10:32 AM

I just check their website and the Greens do support clearing scrub and back burning, so I don’t know what Barnaby is on about.

My uncle back burned His property over winter. He rang the fire department the week before and got on with it.

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2019 11:26 AM

Honestly the Government blaming the Greens (who I loath myself because of their racist policies and they had a homophobic candidate running in a seat in Melbourne who thankfully didn't get elected) is pathetic because the Greens have NO POWER and can not dictate what is done, how its done and when its done. All that responsibly lies with the LNP. The greens have no power whatsoever on back burning policies or removal of fire risks. This lies all with the LNP.

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2019 11:42 AM

Finally the Sydney Morning Herald, the Australian and the Sky News web site fire coverage is no longer behind the pay wall.

I was checking Our ABC for updates.

by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2019 3:36 PM

Russell Crowe owns a farm around Coffs Harbour/Nana Glen in NSW.

His family (parents, brother & family) live there.

Fire hit his place yesterday per his Twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2019 5:23 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2019 5:30 PM

Crowe has been out of the country for some time.

I've no way to know how the fire crews were assigned.

I am reminded of the terrible fires last year with the Paradise fire and Malibu fire where one actress came back to her Malibu home and was complaining "Where are the fire trucks?" as if expecting to see them right in her area with all the fires breaking out. She sounded like a nitwit.

by Anonymousreply 42November 12, 2019 5:40 PM

RE: the Malibu fires, was it Camille Grammer whose 2 luxury cars were moved by the fire fighters? I remember wondering if that was in their remit!

by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2019 6:21 PM

I've noticed the pink flame retardant on a lot of houses. This has not caught on in California, yet.. Sometimes the winds whip up so fast and furiously, that folks have no recourse but to flee like right fucking now. But occasionally, there's an effort to prevent/contain. Here in California, it just means folks turning on their garden hoses already with low water pressure.

This could actually be a Godsend for many homeowners. I can't imagine losing my home. I'm an atheist and I don't pray, but I really think about people who might come to lose everything.

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2019 12:37 AM

A true-blue, dinky-di, Aussie cunt being a cunt in country NSW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 14, 2019 4:38 AM

I think it's too late for Climate Change, we're just going to hope we can survive for whatever comes next.

We've gone past the point where everyday conservation will make a difference, the tipping point is behind us and things are starting to snowball, as the warmer climate leads to methane being released from permafrost and wildfires spiraling out of control, which is going to send the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere up exponentially.

And we humans can't even conserve, or plant more oxygen producers than we destroy. It's been nice knowing you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 46November 14, 2019 6:13 AM

Bushfires are as Aussie as Violet Crumble and Tooheys. It isn't "climate change" or "global warming". It's Oz.

by Anonymousreply 47November 14, 2019 6:20 AM

How are things really going on over there? The Daily Mail has relegated the bush fires well, well below celebrity shenanigans and the weird, sensationalistic stuff the DM usually traffics. Any fire danger to Sydney suburbs were far, far, down the page.

So is the rest of the world to take it that the danger is wholly or partially subsided. Even those down the page DM stories show charging walls of fire.

by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2019 8:29 PM

It's so bad that almost any part of the country could catch fire in the next few days. We have alerts set up for our area. People are stressed. Our normal rains have not come.

by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2019 10:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!