Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vermont

It looks like the husband and I are taking a winter ski trip to Vermont in mid December.

He has to be in Burlington for part of the time for work, so that will be our home base. Any tips or suggestions from my ski friends? Other cool Vermont activities? We’re going to spend a day or two traveling into New Hampshire and Maine too so I can check them off my list!

I’m looking forward to the time away but want to make sure I am prepared with ample activities!

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2019 3:06 PM

Mid December is still early to ski. You have to go to a place with amazing snowmaking so Killington, Stowe, etc. Vermont is big - where in Vermont will you be?

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2019 3:55 AM

I am a Vermonter. Coming in the winter is... questionable. Stowe is close enough to ski. What do you like to do?

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2019 4:01 AM

I'm not a skier but I stayed the Equinox Resort in Manchester recently and loved it. The town is really nice.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2019 4:03 AM

Go to P&H Truck Stop in Wells River. Really. Best bread and pastries in Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2019 4:11 AM

Manchester is really nice. The Equinox , as mentioned, is a world class spa, but also very expensive. There is a lot of outlet shopping in the area, in addition to the original Orvis store. I went to Dartmouth, in nearby Hanover, NH, and recommend taking a drive there. it is a lovely town, and the campus is beautiful. They usually have something interesting at the Hopkins Center, so it might be worth checking out their schedule.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2019 4:13 AM

Vermont is NOT big. By populations, it's No. 49 in the U.S. It's No. 43 in square miles.

But it's beautiful. OMG, is it ever beautiful.

So, OP.. take a good camera. And maybe a good book. Vermont is mostly very rural. But beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2019 4:16 AM

Well acquainted with Vermont dudes and their various natures. You'll easily find a refined set from Boston and New York. Even more intriguing are the earthy woodlands boys. Hot guys, muscular dudes, thick bushes, they never ever trim or shave. It's not a thing in the woodlands of VT. Dirty Sk8 dudes are sexy hot. 🔥

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2019 4:33 AM

Mount Snow is quite far from Jay Peak, for example.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2019 4:46 AM

To be honest I haven’t looked too far into this yet. We just found out concrete finalized plans (and that I am able to attend) last night so I was searching for things to do!

We have a ski “resort” here in Ohio that opens in early December. I guess I assumed New England would have favorable conditions before we did...I guess that wasn’t a great assumption.

Other than skiing, we generally do hiking and history things. It’ll be cold and less than ideal to hike, but we’re usually up for a challenge. We went to Boston a couple of years ago and did the whole Revolutionary War thing through Lexington and Concord, Plymouth, etc. It was a lot of fun!

Thank you all for the suggestions already. I’ll look into them today. Keep them coming, please!

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2019 10:38 AM

Some mountains will open of course but how exciting is it to ski on man made snow on a couple trails in the middle of bare forest and mountains. That's all I'm saying. If you love the sport, sure, but it's not Vermont winter wonderland experience that way.

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2019 11:04 AM

We're getting a foot by tomorrow in Vermont. The resorts will be open. Go to reddit and ask on the Vermont reddit for ideas.

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2019 11:22 AM

History? Oh, well! that changes everything.

From Burlington, it is less than a three hour drive to Bennington. In Bennington, you can see a giant phallic monument.

If you like big ones, this one is big.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2019 11:28 AM

Killington is open now. It's about an hour and a half from Burlington. Stowe is closer, and I am sure it will be up and running soon. Here's a list of gay friendly restaurants and bars in Burlington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2019 2:26 PM

Aw, c'mon OP. There is one destination you must not miss.

And tell the truth. You don't want to miss the Trapp Family Lodge, now do you???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2019 3:07 PM

not the best time to go but, the shelburne museum is wonderful if you like history (also shelburne farms is beautiful, it's a different business but i can only link one and you can Google)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2019 3:30 PM

There's a brand new Airbnb in southern Vt. that's become available. It's a 1700's farm house that's been completely restored by a well known tasteful friend. There's a porch with a hot-tub and a view to DIE for.

Plus, and this is so fun. Some people claim it's haunted. And that the ghosts like to turn on the tv at night and slam doors. It's the perfect place for a fun, spooky, bachlorette weekend. Available immediately. One thing, NO WICCANS, for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2019 3:40 PM

Not for skiing, but nice gay B&B with rather hunky owners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2019 3:48 PM

Woodstock, VT. The Woodstock Inn is very Newhart-esque, even if you don't stay there it's worth a stop to eat there. Near two smaller ski areas, Suicide Six and Pico, and about a half-hour to Killington. 90 miles from Burlington.

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2019 4:47 PM

BTW -- there are no gay bars in Vermont. None. I think there's one across the lake in Plattsburgh, and certainly in Montreal. But don't expect to go someplace like Red Square and not get some attitude getting somewhat physical with another guy.

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2019 5:15 PM

Whatever you do, OP, DON'T go to wherever this poster's house is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2019 7:28 PM

Vhjj

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2019 7:43 PM

Thank you to all of you for the suggestions! I’ve been looking into all of these things today and it seems like it’ll be a good trip.

We have some logistics to figure out. Hubby’s company is letting him rent a car on the days he has work obligations (then transferring it to his personal card after), but we’re debating flying into Burlington (what looks like the worlds tiniest airport) or flying into Boston Logan and driving. Has anyone flown into Burlington? Looks kinda sketch.

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2019 8:22 PM

The forecast for the White Mountains is 6 to 9 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2019 8:49 PM

flying into Burlington is fine. the only issues are flights delayed from NYC. also, currently in Vermont may I just say, fuck this January weather in November.

I do have to ask, do you know how to drive in snow and what you need to have in your car and if you get in an accident or drift to make sure (consistently) that your muffler is fully cleared?

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2019 8:56 PM

*exhaust /muffler

by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2019 8:57 PM

The Vermont Country Store!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2019 9:13 PM

The Vermont Country Store is in Weston. It's fun. They have EVERYTHING

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 1:10 AM

R24, thanks for the heads up! We lived in Minnesota for 7 years, so we’ve had experience in the snow. Different terrain though, so we will have to be careful but it’s not like we’re coming from Arizona. Burlington gets much more snow, but I think it’ll be okay!

There is A LOT on that website. What a catch all!

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 1:42 AM

Sounds like a fun trip

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 11:46 AM

Guys from Vermont are naturally hot as fuck. I spent many years in my 20s commuting back and forth between Boston and Vermont while dating a farmer. The gay community in VT was tight but accommodating. The population is small and there aren't a lot of readily available gay partners so we learned to share. And share we did.

It was so exciting driving to VT thinking about these rural gay parties they would have. My first time I was thinking I would be the big thing: the city boy, openly horny gay dude, experienced. I figured they'd be all shy and shit, maybe intimidated by my free and open urban sexuality. I was excited thinking about how I'd dominate the shy mountain boys of Stowe. I got to the cottage and the party was already in full force. Seriously, if you like natural, unaffected dudes with scruffy faces, unshaven body hair and thick bushes, you will love VT. At first it wasn't overtly sexual. Naked men swimming in the pool and drinking and laughing in the hot tub. But the night wore on and soon enough flaccid penises grew erect, the laughing died down, the mood changed and a sexual energy charged the air. My heart began that excited race, sending blood to engorge my thickening penis. Guys that previously had shyly concealed their genitals began to slowly and sheepishly reveal their growing cocks to their partners and all others that gathered around to watch the sex act. One dude stood up, fully erect, and directed his friend to suck on his cockhead. At that direction, a wave of decadent male sexuality was unleashed and throngs of men quickly stripped and began sexually pleasing each other in front of all the other guests. The moaning got louder, the music, which by this point was a distraction, was turned down to a whisper. The mood was set.

One guy was fucking a friend on a chaise lounge by the pool. I couldn't stop staring. As he fucked this twink friend, his huge pair of balls was swinging back and forth. I couldn't stop looking at the mesmerizing flow of these bullish swinging balls. I couldn't resist. I went up behind him and started massaging his big hairy nuts. He started grunting and told me not to stop. I accommodated his request and fondled his testicles while he fucked my friend. With my left hand I polished the rose colored head of my own rock hard uncut dick. Seconds later I felt his fur covered sack pull up as his nuts retracted and the first of several ogasmic lurches unleashed a spray of semen into my friend's anus. The dude's seed seeped out of my buddy's butthole with the powerful plunges of the guy's fat cock. The sight of this was too much to handle so I began the master stroke. Furiously pumping my foreskin over my bulbous mushroom head I brought myself to a powerful orgasm and spewed my cum all over the top's fuzzy cheeks as he completed his final thrusts in my friend's ass.

La fin

(True story. Vermonters are freaks.)

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2019 7:09 AM

Echo R15. Shelburne Farms is quite nice ... have a meal and cocktail

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 8:11 AM

Whoops looks like the Shelburne Farms resto is closed for the season ...

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 8:17 AM

5/10, r30

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2019 10:59 AM

^^^ lol r33! It's actually true. Installment 2 is when they came to Boston and we got a hotel over the bridge in Cambridge and this beast of a mountain main banged me all night while his buddy masturbated while watching us. But you guys are probably not interested in that kind of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2019 11:05 AM

They are not interested, R34.

They want a 0%-Body-Fat-Hairless-19-Year-Old-Boi-Covered-in-Tattoos who lives within the jurisdictional boundaries of a city with a population of at least 8 million.

They can't get him. And they wouldn't be happy with him. But they want him, nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2019 11:30 AM

[quote]Go to P&H Truck Stop in Wells River. Really. Best bread and pastries in Vermont.

The second sentence was not what I was expecting.

by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2019 11:38 AM

Has anyone been to R17's link?

Don't know where you are coming from but if you fly in and drive from Boston you can also fly to Hartford, CT and be at the southern Vt. state line in an hour and half.

by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2019 11:40 AM

Be sure to buy some Country Baby Gourmet Babyfood for all your frau friends!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 13, 2019 1:46 PM

Is Rutland a good place to move to?

by Anonymousreply 39November 13, 2019 1:56 PM

no! it's actually a gang and drug corridor. I am not even joking

by Anonymousreply 40November 13, 2019 3:04 PM

I wondered why the rent/real estate was cheap.

by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2019 3:16 PM

it is in need of gentrification. it sucks because for a little while,, it was on the upswing. then the gangs found it. the drug problem and accompanying problems put a quick end to the upswing.

of course, that's by Vermont standards. it's definitely not South Central LA.

by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2019 3:20 PM

Is it better than Stockton, CA?

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2019 3:39 PM

I don't know anything about that. it's far better than Albany, NY.

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2019 3:47 PM

Rutland is cleaning up. It's Winooski and Burlington that are suffering more from drugs and gangs.

by Anonymousreply 45November 13, 2019 5:25 PM

winooski is almost completely turned around. they have done an absolutely wonderful job in winooski. Burlington has always has a scumbag faction. there does not seem to be much more here than usual which is not that big of a deal because Burlington is bigger. Rutland is pretty small and overall has poorer people to begin with so the druggies have a better base for doing business.

by Anonymousreply 46November 13, 2019 5:34 PM

Former Vermonter here. It's a beautiful state, but it's very rural so you'll need clear roads and decent tires on your car to get around in winter. And watch out for the black ice!

I haven't been back in a good ten years, but some of my favorite places include: Shelburne Museum, Higher Ground (live music venue), The Alchemist brewery (Stowe/Waterbury), Bobcat Cafe and Brewery (Bristol), state capital Montpelier, Barre cemetery (if there's no snow covering the gravestones). If the weather permits, the best thing to do in VT is to drive around and stop wherever you're pulled. Lots of small shops, country stores, and restaurants everywhere you go.

Bring your passports and go to Montreal for the night if you want to experience the gay life -- most of the VT gay scene is contained among friends within private residences.

by Anonymousreply 47November 13, 2019 5:52 PM

[quote]The Alchemist brewery (Stowe/Waterbury)

OMG YES. If you go, OP, Please, Please, PLEASE bring me some Heady Topper

by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2019 6:47 PM

That's HEADLY, R48.

by Anonymousreply 49November 13, 2019 8:38 PM

What about furniture places? Handcrafted wood furniture, made in a variety of delightful styles?

by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2019 11:17 AM

^ tasteful friend! You delight and amuse me!

by Anonymousreply 51November 15, 2019 11:34 AM

If you go to Manchester, have lunch at Zoey's deli - fantastic fresh baked bread for the best sandwiches ever! If you ski at Stowe, go right outside Stowe village to Pizza on Main in Morrisville. Owner is a NY pizza transplant.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2019 3:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!