Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Prozac Nation Elizabeth Wurtzel -how is she doing?

A few years ago, she was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2020 6:57 PM

Oh for God's sake...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2019 3:11 AM

Wurtzel just learned that the man who was her father wasn't really her father. Her bio father was actually the photographer Bob Adelman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2019 3:34 AM

Nobody knows or cares about this cultural figure? Her influence shaped the modern memoir and how we think about addiction. She's had a fascinating life.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2019 2:43 AM

Just read this. I enjoyed it!

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2019 2:54 AM

Like her last crazy story for The Cut/NY Mag, this is poorly edited and twice as long as it should be.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2019 3:03 AM

"Nobody knows or cares about this cultural figure? Her influence shaped the modern memoir and how we think about addiction. She's had a fascinating life."

Proof is in the pudding. If she was actually fascinating and not all hype people would care. This is Lens Dunham's future.

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2019 3:14 AM

[quote] Proof is in the pudding. If she was actually fascinating and not all hype people would care. This is Lens Dunham's future.

I'd actually give Wurtzel 5 seconds of attention from time to time. Her wild behavior swings make her nominally interesting, as opposed to Dunham's attempt to package her bovine behavior as some sort of compelling narrative.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2019 3:16 AM

No, *intelligent people care. Datalounge is full of retarded Fraus and Basic Bitch Gays now who only read stupid shit like The Subtle Art of Not Giving F*ck.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2019 3:19 AM

Wow - the piece about Wurtzel discovering her real father was published a year ago. It got 13 comments.

I thought it was new. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2019 3:29 AM

She wrote something for Medium last month, purportedly about why Gen X'ers can't get traction in the presidential race, but it actually says nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2019 3:31 AM

She's fine OP, she sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2020 4:18 PM

She was an early Lena. Whining rich girl. Cat Marnell is another Nuevo-Wurtzel. They are all annoying. And journalism is dead. So there are no jobs for people,like,her.

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2020 4:29 PM

She's been better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2020 4:53 PM

Anyone1`234567p90-098543q

by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2020 5:20 PM

She was certainly part of the creative nonfiction boom that spawned Dave Pelzer, Augusten Burroughs, James Frey, and other sensational memoirists of dubious veracity.

by Anonymousreply 15January 7, 2020 5:25 PM

I knew her in college and thought she was a constantly self-promoting asshole. A friend of both of ours one said, “She desperately wants people to listen to her, and yet she has so little to say except fiercely held opinions based on little knowledge.”

I still love the story that she was furious with and screamed at the art editor of her book “Bitch,” not because she objected to the artfully shadowed photo of her shirtless because it was giving the reader the finger but because he didn’t airbrush it (as she assumed he would) to make her look skinnier before the book was released.

52 is too young for anyone to die, though. And she did not have a happy life—it was not easy being her.

by Anonymousreply 16January 7, 2020 5:29 PM

Another Elizabeth Wurtzel story: in the early 90s, I went to a party in the Village thrown by a college friend, and she was invited too, as was the actor Ethan Hawke (who knew the boyfriend of my friend throwing the party). She kept following him around intently from room to room, hoping to get him to sleep with her. My boyfriend at the time (who did not knowwho she was) pointed at her to me discreetly and whispered, "She's like a jackal stalking a wounded antelope!" She did not end up going home with Hawke (at least that night).

by Anonymousreply 17January 7, 2020 6:57 PM

I’m a few years younger than her and read Prozac Nation, I remember thinking she was smart and pretty accomplished for someone so young...then read an article she wrote fairly recently and it was like she hadn’t matured or evolved at all, it was weird. I’m always fascinated yet confounded by people that peak early.

Good call comparing her to Lens.

by Anonymousreply 18January 7, 2020 7:59 PM

R17, your anecdote happened 30 years ago. NYC was so different as were/are the people you mentioned. Do you mind to share what happened to the party host, you, and your boyfriend? We know Ethan still acts and has a bunch of kids with Uma and the nanny and we know Wurtzel is deceased. Just wondering where people in my cohort find themselves when they hit middle age.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2020 6:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!