Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Worst Chore

Is there any chore worse than inserting a comforter into a duvet?

Darfur Orphan, please weigh in.

by Anonymousreply 77November 12, 2019 11:36 PM

Laundry. Universally despised.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2019 1:05 AM

OP please tell me you use the trick of turning the duvet inside out and then grabbing the corners of the comforter and then shaking it in?

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2019 1:06 AM

Dishes

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2019 1:10 AM

Scrubbing the floor!

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2019 1:20 AM

I don’t mind doing laundry. I find satisfaction in getting out stains. It’s just the folding and putting away part that I don’t like.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2019 1:21 AM

R2 WTF? I can't even picture what you're suggesting.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2019 1:23 AM

OP what I tried to describe is the first method in this article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2019 1:26 AM

Unclogging an unflushed toilet full of crap. You feel foul and gross while figuring out what to do with the wet plunger.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2019 1:36 AM

Cleaning the bathroom in general.

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2019 1:46 AM

Cleaning the damn tub is the very worst. Back-breaking.

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2019 1:52 AM

Unloading the muthafuckin' dishwasher.

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2019 1:53 AM

Who doesn’t have a cleaning lady?

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2019 1:56 AM

CLEAN the catbox!

GROSS!

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2019 1:59 AM

R8 WINS!

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2019 2:02 AM

Having my pussy grabbed by the orange monster.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2019 2:15 AM

Ironing.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2019 2:47 AM

[quote]Is there any chore worse than inserting a comforter into a duvet?

[quote]OP please tell me you use the trick of turning the duvet inside out and then grabbing the corners of the comforter and then shaking it in?

R2, if OP had the brains to figure this trick out, I pray that he wouldn't be on DL complaining about how difficult something is that takes 10 seconds MAX to do.

Then again, DL, so he probably uses it and is still complaining about it.

If he hasn't figured it out, I have to marvel that in the internet age that anyone would spend time doing something he finds so odious without taking the aforementioned 10 second to google to see if there isn't a simpler way to accomplish the task. Lack of brains strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2019 3:05 AM

vacuuming the carpet and scrubbing the kitchen floor suck. I hire a cleaning woman to do it. I will do most everything else. I need to find someone to wash my windows. I also hate washing my car but I do it regularly so that the finish stays nice.I ruined my last car by not keeping the body clean.

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2019 3:19 AM

Cleaning the cat box. Everything from scooping out the clumps to scrubbing it. Makes me gag.

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2019 3:30 AM

Sitting there waiting for Powder Plunger to work while you’re wondering exactly when did you ate corn.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2019 3:51 AM

“Darfur Orphan, please weigh in.”

Cleaning up behind the village missionaries, just to get 30 minutes of free WiFi to connect with you Fat Whores.

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2019 3:54 AM

Laundry. Well, it's especially hated in my household because we don't have a washer/ dryer. So, once a week we gotta drag our clothes and other articles to a place to a place to wash -- where folks let their children run wild, fights break out, and weirdos left and right.

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2019 4:07 AM

I thought getting a cleaner would improve my life and rid me of chores, but I always find myself cleaning up before she arrives because I don’t want her to think I’m a filthy bastard. Kind of defeats the point.

I loathe dusting. x

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2019 4:14 AM

Try untangling an unruly mass of freshly washed leg warmers, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2019 4:21 AM

Dealing with a duvet cover is even worse if you have a weighted blanket, and the inside-out method doesn’t work for that. Or at least I’m too weak for it,

by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2019 5:44 AM

Pfft. Amateurs.

Scrubbing your cat's crusty diarrhea from the litter box.

Scrubbing diarrhea splattered onto the wall BEHIND your cat's litter box.

Giving your cat an enema.

Top those, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2019 5:51 AM

Polishing the chrome on my Rolls.

by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2019 6:25 AM

Rotating the mattress by myself is more tedious and back breaking for me than fiddling around with comforters or scrubbing the bath tub.

by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2019 6:32 AM

I have two housekeepers (a man and a woman), so they usually take care of these things; I despise ironing clothes and drying dishes by hand.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2019 7:10 AM

Cleaning the oven.

by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2019 7:16 AM

R5, What about dealing with skid marks?

by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2019 7:43 AM

Any organizing that is enforced, at a shared office and involves fraus. As a man I learned decades ago to do everything they wish during the FORCED time together and even then, there will be exasperating control freakiness and twists and turns that make the temper boil and one cannot and should not say anything.

by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2019 11:08 AM

The Hurricane Spin Brush has made scrubbing the bath tub a breeze. I highly, highly recommend it.

I hate sweeping and mopping the floors. I use a swiffer but it's still a pain in the ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2019 1:06 PM

R11: sigh, I forgot that one:

* shampooing the carpet after your poor kitty with diarrhea steps out of the litter box, then scoots his butt across the carpet to wipe.

by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2019 1:21 PM

I hate emptying the dishwasher and putting away clean clothes.

Cleaning the litter box is a hardship for me. I use Fresh Step Lightweight Unscented. It clumps pretty well and makes scooping a breeze. I have 2 litter boxes (the high-sided ones) so I don't have to do a clean, fill, and replace.

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2019 1:30 PM

[quote]What about dealing with skid marks?

Especially on those poly-blend caftans!

by Anonymousreply 36November 11, 2019 3:02 PM

Comforter clips make duvet covers much easier to deal with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 11, 2019 3:02 PM

I'd have thought Darfur Orphan would've said doing the dishes.

by Anonymousreply 38November 11, 2019 3:20 PM

Doing the dish.

by Anonymousreply 39November 11, 2019 3:23 PM

Darfie, we need to get you adopted by BILL TAYLOR once you're of age. You two are my fav people in here.

by Anonymousreply 40November 11, 2019 3:26 PM

Life's tough. Get a helmet.

PS. I'm gonna have to turn in my gay/bi card because I'm not sure what a duvet is or why there's a cover for it. I know it goes on a bed and I've seen packages of them at Home Goods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 11, 2019 3:30 PM

I don't know what a duvet cover is either R41. I'm guessing it's a cover for a couch or that wrap-around cover that goes first on a bed.

by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2019 3:46 PM

R41 R42 t's a large pocket you put a quilt into. Like stuffing a felafel. Easier to wash regularly than cleaning the quiltlike duvet.

by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2019 3:54 PM

[R 43} What's a felafel?

ok I know it's food but what food?

I wonder if eating falafel gives people who stuff duvet covers with duvets the strength they need to go on with life?

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2019 4:39 PM

I will willingly do any of the above mentioned chores other than dusting. Can I hire someone just for that?

by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2019 4:42 PM

Actually the chore I really dislike is cooking. I guess because I buy a lot of fresh food and have to cook it before it goes bad, whether I feel like it or not. Sometimes it goes bad. I open a can of tuna or salmon, pour half a can of chickpeas and leftover ziti on it, and nuke it. As you can tell, I'm single.

Other thing I hate is laundry because I live in a third-floor walk-up and the laundry is in the basement. Literally have to set a timer and go down and change it over, and all that.

I don't like cleaning the bathroom, either. I can't breathe if I use any chemicals so I have to scrub with baking soda, vinegar, and dish soap, until my fingers are worn to bloody stumps. Occasionally use some bleach and run out to fling all the windows open while grabbing my inhaler.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2019 4:51 PM

Interesting question. I’ve never really thought about it. I’ll have to ask Consuela.

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2019 5:02 PM

R33 does that gizmo work on floors? I’m too old to scrub on my hands and knees anymore.

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2019 5:45 PM

Surprised no one has said the shower. I hate cleaning the shower - goes without cleaning way past the point it should.

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2019 5:55 PM

I said the tub, but in our case, cleaning the tub means cleaning the whole tub and shower. Yup, it's the very worst job I have to do.

by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2019 5:58 PM

I am exhausted at the mere thought of scheduling the maid. This is my most dreaded task. I need to hire a personal assistant to handle these details, as I simply cannot tolerate it.

by Anonymousreply 51November 11, 2019 6:05 PM

Dusting is the worst. Oh, and floors. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 52November 11, 2019 6:11 PM

Now that I have in-suite washer and dryer, I'm happy to do laundry all day long. Not a chore at all.

by Anonymousreply 53November 11, 2019 6:12 PM

R46

I find that cheap shampoo (Suave or White Rain) is the best cleaning option if you can't use anything toxic. Very little scrubbing required.

by Anonymousreply 54November 11, 2019 6:15 PM

R8 This vid helped me out. Now I unclog toilets like a champ!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 11, 2019 6:56 PM

I don't do chores anymore. I hire people do do literally everything I find unpleasant. Life is too short to scrub toilets and mop floors.

by Anonymousreply 56November 11, 2019 11:30 PM

[R 54] Thanks, I never heard of that. Sounds like a great idea. I use Seventh Generation dish soap, though - it's probably similar. if you mix it w/vinegar and a little baking soda it gets off soap scum and rinses pretty easily also.

by Anonymousreply 57November 11, 2019 11:35 PM

For me, the worst is signing the consent form to have your child taken off the respirator. Each time, I expect it to be easier, but every time is just as bad

by Anonymousreply 58November 11, 2019 11:45 PM

There is some terminal terminology confusion happening here. Quilts and comforters are not at issue. They go on the bed as is and are easy to manage, although never as neat as a bedspread.

The OP, contrary to his own words, is talking about inserting a [italic] duvet[/italic] into a [italic]duvet cover[/italic]. I'm surprised that, at the DL of all places, it has taken 59 responses for someone to point this out.

Anyway, getting the duvet inside the cover is only the beginning. Once you've accomplished that feat, there's the matter of getting the duvet + cover to look even remotely neat on the bed. I gave up on duvets years ago because I couldn't get them to look neat and smooth rather than lumpy and messy.

I envy people with live-in maids who can make a beautiful bed every day, with a perfect, taut bedspread, perhaps overlaid with a bright, attractive coverlet - although it would be a shame to cover up a gorgeous candlewick bedspread with anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 12, 2019 12:04 AM

R59: Mary!

by Anonymousreply 60November 12, 2019 12:06 AM

A full time job is by far the worst chore.

by Anonymousreply 61November 12, 2019 1:26 AM

[quote] I envy people with live-in maids who can make a beautiful bed every day, with a perfect, taut bedspread, perhaps overlaid with a bright, attractive coverlet - although it would be a shame to cover up a gorgeous candlewick bedspread with anything.

Really? My mom taught me how to make a bed when I was something like 8 years old. Even live-in maids don't have to get a degree in the subject. It's pretty easy to make a bed.

by Anonymousreply 62November 12, 2019 2:02 AM

Vacuuming. I can deal with most housework but vacuuming makes me want to light things on fire.

by Anonymousreply 63November 12, 2019 2:31 AM

I hate cleaning the tub/shower and vacuuming the stairs the most.

Duvet in the cover is easy: lay it on the bed and fold each side in so they meet in the middle. Slide the cover on like a pillowcase, pulling it toward you. Reach in and unfold each side and push the corners into the corners of the cover. Shake it so it settles evenly.

Related question: with a down comforter, how do you keep it from going flat in the middle and puffy around the edges? It has baffle construction and I rotate and shake it regularly but the down constantly migrates to the edges. My dryer is not big enough to run it on fluff with tennis balls, so in between trips to the dry cleaner some of the baffles seem like they are "empty" and left with just the top and bottom fabric so it's not warm at all.

by Anonymousreply 64November 12, 2019 2:36 AM

Polishing earrings

Ironing caftans

by Anonymousreply 65November 12, 2019 2:41 AM

Douching.

by Anonymousreply 66November 12, 2019 3:05 AM

Ironing Folding Organizing Doing the dishes Cleaning the bathroom The living room The bedroom The kitchen

by Anonymousreply 67November 12, 2019 3:44 AM

^ Sorry. I don’t know how to make a new paragraph

by Anonymousreply 68November 12, 2019 3:46 AM

Folding fitted sheets - it's fucking witchcraft. I'll never learn.

by Anonymousreply 69November 12, 2019 4:19 AM

Fucking Caitlyn Jenner.

by Anonymousreply 70November 12, 2019 4:25 AM

Dragging an ungrateful hellion down to the laundry room. Backbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 71November 12, 2019 4:28 AM

R67, double return for a line break.

by Anonymousreply 72November 12, 2019 4:05 PM

The duvet thing sucks so much that it angers me to do!!!!!!! Its such a pain in the ass. Also laundry, vacuuming, dusting, floors, windows. I do it but ugh. LOVE to cook! But the cleaning thing is so boring. Folding the fitted sheet is something I gave up on years ago. I just roll it.

by Anonymousreply 73November 12, 2019 4:11 PM

Cleaning the oven... which is why I haven’t done it in over a year, and we use the oven every day. (No, it’s not “self-cleaning.”

by Anonymousreply 74November 12, 2019 4:20 PM

Yes, emptying the dishwasher, ESPECIALLY the sorting of salad forks from regular forks.

by Anonymousreply 75November 12, 2019 5:32 PM

Putting gas in my car - I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 76November 12, 2019 5:41 PM

r76 Move to Oregon or New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 77November 12, 2019 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!