Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Biden’s Attacks on Warren Turn Personal, Drawing Some Complaints of Sexism

[quote]Senator Elizabeth Warren is “instructing” voters on what to believe. Her policy vision smacks of an “academic exercise.” Her advocacy style is “my way or the highway,” and she has displayed an “elitist attitude.”

[quote]It is a politically risky case to make against a leading female candidate, especially to a Democratic primary electorate that has so far signaled little appetite for intraparty warfare. Women historically make up a majority of Democratic primary voters, and for many, memories of attacks against Hillary Clinton in 2016 are still fresh.

Is this shit for real? I can't believe they'd print this. Is there a list of pre-approved words the candidates are allowed to use when addressing each other?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2019 11:26 AM

The complaints of sexism will come from progressives who think Warren can actually deliver on her proposals and also think that women still have to be handled carefully, but in turn, they don't have to reciprocate.

Biden is right about Warren's mode of communication. I've said this on other threads, but she has a real Messiah complex and she's becoming more and more heavy-handed. And she does exhibit an elitist attitude toward those who don't sign on to her agenda - which includes, BTW, moderate/independent voters who will be instrumental in selecting who's in the WH come 2021. She was quite insulting to the moderate candidates who questioned her M4A proposal in the debates, saying that they lacked courage and wouldn't fight.

Well, if she's going to dish it out...

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2019 9:03 PM

[quote]She was quite insulting to the moderate candidates who questioned her M4A proposal in the debates, saying that they lacked courage and wouldn't fight.

She accused them of running in the wrong primary! Was that misandrist, I wonder? This can quickly turn into such a rabbit hole, once you go down this sexism path and start seeing it everywhere...

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2019 9:08 PM

R2, it was an example of her being in her own bubble, and it proves that she doesn't have a good sense of where the nation is as a whole - just the Democrat's base.

The dilemma here is that her overall philosophy about how fucked up capitalism has become is right. But she's trying to come up with a lot of major overhaul proposals that have - at this juncture - little or no hope of coming to fruition in the short term. In the longer term, at least some of them can make it, but we need a). no GOP control of either part of Congress, and b). leaders who are canny enough to make change happen and successfully weather the very rich opposition. Unfortunately, capitalism has been the economic foundation of the U.S. for a few centuries and the idea that we're going to upend that in a few years is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2019 9:17 PM

*I meant a slippery slope, not a rabbit hole.

Hopefully, this narrative will pass and we can refocus on policy issues instead. The primary voters will then decide which option suits them better. So there's really no need to get personal.

by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2019 9:20 PM

At least she has balls and is willing to defend and fight for the policies she believes in. Yes, many things she's proposing won't get passed or she may have to make compromises... but I'd rather have someone who fights instead of a Democratic doormat like Biden in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2019 9:25 PM

Dems never disappoint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2019 9:29 PM

Compromises with whom? The Republican who is going to take her senate seat in the special election? Even if that razor-thin majority in the Senate is recaptured, she's going to have two years to convince ALL Dem senators to nuke the insurance system and replace it with something new. That's a tall order on a tight schedule. And that's even before the court fights. Will you really congratulate her if she ends up passing something closer to Biden's version in the end, I wonder?

by Anonymousreply 7November 10, 2019 9:31 PM

Oh please, R6. As if we didn't see the same things among all the GOP candidates in 2015. Trump was his own one-man firing squad.

by Anonymousreply 8November 10, 2019 9:32 PM

[quote]The complaints of sexism will come from progressives who think Warren can actually deliver on her proposals

As opposed to Biden's bullshit about Republicans having an epiphany and wanting to work with Democrats after Trump leaves office?

And elitism is rich coming from the guy who has made a career cozying up to big business and the 1%, who recently opened his campaign to billionaire donors. Physician, heal THYSELF. The one whose wife went on television telling people to suck it up and vote for her husband. The one who's supporters have declared him the winner before he even entered the race and who have no problem bandying about sticking him in for just one term, despite the overwhelming mess that will be waiting for him when he gets there. Who cares? It's his turn.

by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2019 9:45 PM

R9, one could apply much of your screed to Hillary...

by Anonymousreply 10November 10, 2019 11:32 PM

[quote]one could apply much of your screed to Hillary...

And we all know how that turned out. So let's nominate Biden, who is Hillary 2.0

by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2019 11:43 PM

Biden is terrific in his townhall tonight on CNN. I'm back to being supportive of him.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 1:55 AM

I only got to see a little bit then I got interrupted. How’d his impeachment talk go? I heard about it after.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 2:43 AM

[quote]Joe Biden, asked about his attacks on Elizabeth Warren: "Let’s get something straight. She attacked me. She…said 'Biden is a coward. Biden is in fact in the pocket of…’ She went down the list and say I was in the wrong primary. What do you call that?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 3:08 AM

He should be polite, no one wants another Trump.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2019 3:34 AM

Funny when Bernie Sanders eviscerated Hillary Clinton the media cheered, piled on, and encouraged him!

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2019 6:06 AM

He did very well last night. He handles the format well. It's debates where he is overprepped that he can appear fumbling.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2019 11:40 AM

He actually articulated very well what's objectionable about Warren (if you object to her.) She thinks she knows better than you do and she's gonna tell you. You can say flexibility and openness characterize Warren. She knows what she's gonna do... and what you're gonna do too.

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2019 11:54 AM

Biden always does well at town halls, gaffes and overlong anecdotes notwithstanding. It's at debates where you have to think on your feet that he often bombs.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2019 11:58 AM

That's why I draw some confidence about his capacity as President at this age. This is just so much theatre. So they guy's not a good tap dancer in a crowd of competitors. To listen to him on foreign policy... quick, decisive, sharp as a tack. The guy has decades of experience and it's all still there, based on his performance last night.

I don't think he walks on water but after criticizing his lacklustre campaign I am back to feeling confident if he wins it he'll be a strong and effective president and that he's probably the best of the bunch.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2019 12:08 PM

Theatrics or not, the voters want the nominee to spar with and take down Trump on stage, which requires unimpaired mental acuity. They want the nominee to earn their presidency. No one likes a coronation, especially after 2016.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2019 12:12 PM

Oh, please. It says a lot about Biden voters that 9% of them in Vermont now consider BLOOMBERG as their 2nd choice.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2019 12:16 PM

[quote]she has a real Messiah complex and she's becoming more and more heavy-handed

I haven't noticed that personally, but the fact is that a lot of us HAVE run into the holier-than-thou college professor type, and Warren needs to be very careful to not trigger that stereotype. It's not fair to her but it's something she absolutely has to deal with.

Telling someone they're in the wrong primary is going to trigger that scolding, I'm-better-than-you stereotype that she needs to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2019 12:22 PM

Biden needs to save his self righteous fury for Trump and the Republicans who have been desperately trying to smear him and his son with outright lies.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2019 12:27 PM

Biden needs to expose Warren as a fraud who will bankrupt middle-class voters with her " free stuff for everybody" platform.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2019 12:47 PM

Source please R22.

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2019 1:16 PM

Can she make me a sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2019 1:20 PM

Aren't you accustomed to the new normal yet, OP? Haven't you read the manual? Biden is supposed to apologize, daily and exclusively, for his white male privilege, and never say anything negative about Warren, because she's a woman. That despite the fact that they are about to oppose each other in presidential primaries.

She's higher that he is on the oppression pecking order. Liz would have to bow to a female person of color, of course. A bit ambiguous as to what happens if it's a male person on color.

This shit is a huge turn-off to the independents who we NEED to win the election. We have met the enemy, and it's not the MAGA mouthbreathers. It's us.

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2019 1:22 PM

[quote]Biden always does well at town halls, gaffes and overlong anecdotes notwithstanding. It's at debates where you have to think on your feet that he often bombs.

The point is... how's he going to do as President when he needs to negotiate with hostile foreign leaders? I don't want someone in that situation who is prone to gaffes and can't think on his feet.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2019 10:41 PM

R28, Liz IS a person of color. She's Native American. Haven't you seen her applications?

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2019 11:45 PM

That's not how it works, R29, but we're all probably off if you remain cowering under your bed.

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 12:44 AM

Of course it's from the NY Times.

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 12:46 AM

I sure wish they would spend more time attacking Trump and less time attacking each other.

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2019 1:38 AM

R1, so you are saying those with no plans have to deliver nothing? She has said all along that she would have stakeholders at the table. Also, she will continue to work on plans that will bring the country closer to this.

Any comments Warren made were not worse than the comments made by others in the debates. Biden is going after her because he sees her as his greatest threat.. He does not have a good history of treatment of women either. Go back and look at his treatment of Anita Hill during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings.

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2019 2:52 AM

And she doesn't have much of a history with reality.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2019 5:10 AM

[quote]Go back and look at his treatment of Anita Hill during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings.

That was nearly thirty years ago. 1991. Nobody treated women well in situations like that 30 years ago (of which there were very few because it took an incredible amount of courage to be Anita Hill in 1991.) If you have to go that far back to try to damn Joe Biden, you're reaching. But you know that. Joe Biden is not a bad guy. No one believes that except supporters of other candidates.

by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2019 11:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!