Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Break from Drinking

My husband and I stopped drinking last week. I feel great already, yesterday I worked out for two hours (CrossFit and running). We had a really pleasant day, went to this great Italian restaurant and watched a movie. Drinking is such a part of gay life, but life seems better without it.

by Anonymousreply 84November 13, 2019 4:25 PM

You didn't have wine at the Italian restaurant? What's the point otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2019 1:40 PM

Povera Maria r1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2019 1:43 PM

Seltzer water with a splash of cranberry juice works for me when I go out to eat and don't want to drink. The bill is definitely cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2019 1:47 PM

[R1] No, we didn’t, how scandalous! It was a nice local restaurant owned by Italians.

by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2019 1:49 PM

I gave up 3 and a half years ago. My social circle certainly changed... all for the better. Make it a lifelong change OP, you will never look back!

by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2019 1:54 PM

Next week: are you there vodka? It’s me, OP.

Fortnight: Hi, I’m OP and my cat’s an alcoholic

by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2019 1:59 PM

I drink wine at home with dinner but never buy bottles of wine at a local restaurant, unless it’s a special occasion. I can’t bare the markup. A beer or a cocktail but that’s it’s.

by Anonymousreply 7November 10, 2019 2:02 PM

I agree with R7, show a little nip to see if they'll lower the price.

by Anonymousreply 8November 10, 2019 2:06 PM

Taking a break from time to time is a good idea.

Unless you’re an alcoholic, though, you can still drink in moderation. Just reserve it for special occasions.

by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2019 2:06 PM

[R5] it’s tempting, I get great muscle definition and sleep better when I’ve taken breaks before. I think it’s because I process stress better.

by Anonymousreply 10November 10, 2019 2:09 PM

Although bloody marys are packed with vitamins and roughage if your celery is still crisp and not all bouncy.

by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2019 2:10 PM

I do it occasionally and always feel better. But there is always a desire to go out and have a social night with friends and let loose. Longest I’ve made it is 3 months. But I never drink more than twice a week.

by Anonymousreply 12November 10, 2019 2:29 PM

Better you are doing it with a partner, OP. Not as tedious when you are in the same boat.

by Anonymousreply 13November 10, 2019 4:14 PM

I quit 12 years ago and my life got infinitely better.

by Anonymousreply 14November 10, 2019 4:30 PM

Are you the cunt that was on here bitching about your husbear hitting you?

by Anonymousreply 15November 10, 2019 5:51 PM

r14 Yet you still name yourself after a bottle of booze?

by Anonymousreply 16November 10, 2019 5:56 PM

I'm confused about the part where you would want to quit drinking.

by Anonymousreply 17November 10, 2019 6:27 PM

[R15] Haha, no, but I saw that. She needed to calm down, what a drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 18November 10, 2019 9:08 PM

I drink to make other people more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 19November 10, 2019 9:15 PM

Recovering and former alcoholics are fucking BORING and ANNOYING.

Always whining, always judging, and their lives are completely restricted. For no other reason than because they can't handle their liquor.

My grandmother always said, "Everything in moderation." Words to live by.

Drinking doesn't mean that you have to be a fall down, stinking messy drunk.

Drinking should be a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, or a few cocktails with friends.

The fact that you stupid alkies can't control yourself, IS NOT MY PROBLEM. So stop trying to push your beliefs, and your AA nonsense on those of us who DO have self control.

When I read your stupid comments about "making new friends," and "never looked back," it really irritates me. So fucking judgmental.

As I said, former drinkers are the absolute WORST, most miserable people you could ever imagine being around.

by Anonymousreply 20November 10, 2019 9:36 PM

what he said ^^

by Anonymousreply 21November 10, 2019 9:38 PM

[quote] yesterday I worked out for two hours (CrossFit and running). We had a really pleasant day, went to this great Italian restaurant and watched a movie

So you can't do any of this, AND still have a couple of cocktails on the weekends, or after work?

Some of you people are so ridiculous.

I have a full time job. I drink socially. I work out. I go to dinner with friends. I go to movies.

I do all of these things, and none of them interferes with the other.

by Anonymousreply 22November 10, 2019 9:41 PM

The former drinkers I know are all insufferable, judgmental people.

by Anonymousreply 23November 10, 2019 9:41 PM

boodle is a British term of affection

by Anonymousreply 24November 10, 2019 9:41 PM

Oops, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 10, 2019 9:49 PM

Hypothetical situation: Say I currently drink 12-18 beers per day. If I cut that out and didn't replace it with soda, how much weight would I lose in a month?

by Anonymousreply 26November 10, 2019 9:57 PM

[quote]Hypothetical situation: Say I currently drink 12-18 beers per day. If I cut that out and didn't replace it with soda, how much weight would I lose in a month?

You will die from a seizure when you go into alcohol withdrawal in about 3 to 4 days.

by Anonymousreply 27November 10, 2019 10:03 PM

Nobody cares that you do CrossFit, OP. That’s what this post is really about, isn’t it? Stick it up your chuffer. x

by Anonymousreply 28November 10, 2019 10:04 PM

I have gone on streaks like this, but after two weeks, I really start missing a cocktail or wine with dinner, especially if I'm having steak, other beef dishes, or fish. For some reason, I must have white wine with fish, and red wine with red meat. I suppose my palate is accustomed to the combo.

Chicken for some reason doesn't seem to require wine, according to my tongue, nor do vegetables or vegetarian dishes...

by Anonymousreply 29November 10, 2019 10:04 PM

Not everyone can drink in moderation. Also, there are a lot of former drinkers who simply don't talk about it. In general, people can't smoke cigarettes (nicotine) in moderation. For some people, there's no moderation with alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 30November 10, 2019 10:06 PM

I'm now able to smoke in moderation R30. In my youth, I was up to a pack per day, but have intentionally tapered off. Some days I only have one, occasionally none, and usually no more than three fags per day now. I do have an extraordinary sense of self-control, and willpower however.

by Anonymousreply 31November 10, 2019 10:09 PM

I must have the gene that makes alcohol taste bad, because, even though I’ve tried so hard to drink, I detest the taste.

And yes, it put a huge damper on my social life because so much of gay life revolved around bars.

I didn’t understand the bar culture so rely went. Interestingly, bars are disappearing and apps are becoming more prominent.

by Anonymousreply 32November 10, 2019 10:13 PM

A bit more info regarding foods I don't miss wine, or beer with, as it may be of interest to those trying to avoid drink: Chinese food, Indian food, curry, Mexican food, pizza, salads, raw vegetables, BBQ, creamy pasta dishes, and carbonara, soup, sandwiches, egg dishes, Thai food, and blintzes/crepes. I'm sure everyone has his own triggers, per se, but for some reason I've never developed an association with alcoholic beverages with these foods for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 33November 10, 2019 10:22 PM

My husband has been sober for 10+ years and is the funniest, kindest guy I know. He goes to 3 or 4 AA meetings/week. We laugh out loud every day. He doesn't mind if I have a couple of drinks. He wakes up and tells Alexa to play the "Cha Cha Slide" and dances to the music. He makes a really, really good living that he wouldn't have been able to if he'd continued to drink. I take a break from alcohol whenever I need to drop a few pounds. It's really annoying to read all of this close-minded, stereotypical crap.

by Anonymousreply 34November 10, 2019 10:45 PM

Wow! I may take up drinking just so I can stop and feel as good as you!😁I hate alcohol and you have my warmest congrats.

by Anonymousreply 35November 10, 2019 10:50 PM

R35 gets a gold star!

Happy now, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 36November 10, 2019 10:52 PM

Why so much animosity on this thread? Everyone has his own path, and troubles.

by Anonymousreply 37November 10, 2019 10:58 PM

Wow, such intense comments over someone wanting to abstain from drinking for a while. Makes me wonder if you have a problem with alcohol, maybe you should take a break too!

by Anonymousreply 38November 10, 2019 11:07 PM

And there it is... more judgment from R38 and the Prohibitionist Brigade.

Next thing you know, they'll be swinging hatchets in bars.

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2019 11:13 PM

I really curtailed my drinking because at age 40 I lost my ability to stay asleep when I’ve had more than a beer or two. The entire next day is hell.

by Anonymousreply 40November 10, 2019 11:17 PM

[quote]And there it is... more judgment from [R38] and the Prohibitionist Brigade.

The people who are extremely sensitive about their own drinking (usually heavy) are always really obvious.

by Anonymousreply 41November 10, 2019 11:23 PM

Many people other than addicts give up the booze; it's empty calories, often doesn't mix well with meds (or is prohibited) and wreaks utter havoc on ulcers, IBS, and a myriad of other digestive problems.

As many of us age, we often realise what we have become habituated to is no longer as tolerable. I REALLY enjoy my wine and cocktails (and grass), but understand not everyone does well with alcohol. I applaud and encourage anyone attempting to make changes to improve their lives and overall health. As others point up, not everyone can abide by moderation either. Naturally, defensive posturing here can denote a problem.

by Anonymousreply 42November 10, 2019 11:30 PM

I took a break because I was on medication that made the combination pretty awful. I'm rather surprised by how much I miss it, which I guess is as good a reason as any to be aware of how much I imbibe. I'm a binger, unfortunately. It would be lots on one night of the week. It's been that way for about 15 years so I doubt I'm on a slippery slope. I will smoke sometimes on a summer vacation and when I'm with my family at Christmas. I don't know if it's willpower or just a very compartmentalized life but I don't touch them the rest of the year.

by Anonymousreply 43November 10, 2019 11:49 PM

Exactly R43. I have struggled for a long time with the idea of having a problem since I don’t drink that often - maybe once a month. But I do tend to have 6-7 drinks when I do. But the idea of stopping seems to make me want it more. Which seems to be consistent with some studies I’ve seen.

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2019 7:07 AM

[R28] just letting you know that I had another great workout, just lifting (push day). I was too sore from CrossFit, but not drinking is going to help me get back into it. You should try both CrossFit and abstaining from alcohol, you’ll feel great!

by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2019 12:52 PM

Due to reflux had to give up my lovely Burgandies. Old age is a ship wreck.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2019 4:32 PM

Congratulations OP.

I am happy for you.

Wishing you the best.

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2019 6:48 PM

I’ve never been a drinker. I’ve never liked the taste of alcohol. I could hang out in a bar all night with friends drinking water and a lemonade.

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2019 8:59 PM

Drinking is no more part of gay life than any other "life". When you are young, drinking is fun and getting drunk is funny. As you age, getting drunk is no longer funny and indeed it is quite bad for you in excess. Thus many people stop and others develop moderate habits that they stay close to. Some develop problems with it. In any case everyone more or less makes their peace with it- except for the few who do not and their lives suffer accordingly-

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2019 9:24 PM

Hangovers stop being worth it in your 30s. Or should.

by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2019 9:34 PM

[R49] I disagree, unlike straight bars, gay bars are social centers in gay neighborhoods that can function as shelters, frequently becoming centers of activism. It’s a safe place in a straight world. Gays also tend to need or want the release of alcohol more so than other groups, because of the stress and pressure they feel.

by Anonymousreply 51November 11, 2019 9:43 PM

R51 that is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard in my life. A gay bar is a “safe” place from the straights?? Gay bars are for getting dick. That’s it.

by Anonymousreply 52November 11, 2019 11:57 PM

Elder gay here (61). Growing up my parents had cocktails before dinner every night of the week and for the last 30+ years, I followed the same pattern. Never more than 2 drinks or 2 glasses of wine. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with persistent Afib which required an electro-cardioversion to correct. I had none of the usual triggers - overweight, high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc. Instead the likely cause was my nightly cocktails. I stopped drinking 3 months ago and I'm surprised how much I don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2019 12:19 AM

R45 - Honey, I don’t care, and I didn’t ask for your advice. x

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2019 12:25 AM

I'm with you, R54.

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2019 3:16 AM

[R54] If you didn’t care, you wouldn’t have needed to chime in. Had another GREAT workout today, feeling great! Don’t get lost in the sauce, beloved.

by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2019 4:19 AM

R56 - Christ, don’t put your back out with all that exercise! Certainly wouldn’t want to see you injured. x

by Anonymousreply 57November 12, 2019 4:24 AM

[R57] my back is in excellent condition, not elderly yet! Fun fact: a strong core and perfect form protects your back, avoiding injury.

by Anonymousreply 58November 12, 2019 4:32 AM

And OP is proving how insufferable ex-drinkers are. Basically the same as “born again” Christians. All about the righteousness of their way of life. Whatever works for you - but you’re not going to get validation and the self-esteem you so sorely need from me. Find something meaningful to be proud of other than not drinking and narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 59November 12, 2019 4:44 AM

Thank goodness the younger hot muscular gays worldwide don't touch tobacco or alcohol. Why did so many older people do such self-destructive behavior?

by Anonymousreply 60November 12, 2019 4:46 AM

R60 obviously has no real social life and is a shut-in if he really thinks that.

Separate from that, there is nothing more annoying than a preachy former drinker than a CROSS-FITTER. Please. Keep your fit-bro cult bullshit to yourself. And no, I'm not fat. I eat generally healthy, am physically active and in good shape, and yes *get ready for the shock!* do drink socially.

by Anonymousreply 61November 12, 2019 4:53 AM

Who would have thought not putting poison in your body would make you feel better!

by Anonymousreply 62November 12, 2019 4:53 AM

R61 I'm talking about the smarter health-conscious ones, not the whores.

by Anonymousreply 63November 12, 2019 4:56 AM

r20 sure sounds like an angry drunk. He thinks everyone is "judgmental" because every time he drinks someone says, "Hey buddy, haven't you had enough?"

by Anonymousreply 64November 12, 2019 5:09 AM

[quote] Don’t get lost in the sauce, beloved

Op, you forgot the standard farewell line: "Have a blessed day!"

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 65November 12, 2019 5:11 AM

[quote]Gays also tend to need or want the release of alcohol more so than other groups, because of the stress and pressure they feel.

I hope it will make you feel better to know that this is no longer really true for anyone under the age of about 40 (if not 50).

by Anonymousreply 66November 12, 2019 5:22 AM

[R60] I’ll tell you why, the stress and pressure of corporate life have affected them tremendously. In the case of many gay men of that generation, being a gay man in a straight world is added to that. Drinking provides relief and an escape. Unfortunately, many take it overboard and get bitchy and defensive about it.

by Anonymousreply 67November 12, 2019 12:51 PM

[R65] RACIST!

by Anonymousreply 68November 12, 2019 12:52 PM

Hey [R61] you can relax, no one is trying to take your alcohol away from you. You might be a little less irritable if you took a breather, and might be surprised at how happy you feel.

by Anonymousreply 69November 12, 2019 12:55 PM

r1, I agree. I'm just too euro, a nice meal has one glass of wine. and if that happens only once a week, that's great. but never ever drinking is just weird

by Anonymousreply 70November 12, 2019 1:30 PM

OP needs a BREAK!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 12, 2019 1:39 PM

[quote]OP is proving how insufferable ex-drinkers are

Seems like he's mostly just trolling Rhoda because she won't stop taking the bait.

by Anonymousreply 72November 12, 2019 2:03 PM

oh, you gotta love rhoda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 12, 2019 5:26 PM

OK BOOMERS!

by Anonymousreply 74November 12, 2019 5:44 PM

OP, you don't need a break, you need a BREAKDANCE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 12, 2019 5:53 PM

[R75] Thank you for that video, Channing.

by Anonymousreply 76November 12, 2019 6:02 PM

you need a break

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 12, 2019 6:10 PM

[quote] I can’t bare the markup.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 78November 12, 2019 6:19 PM

I think I speak for everyone when I say that CrossFit cultists are obnoxious. Upon that I think we can all agree.

by Anonymousreply 79November 12, 2019 7:21 PM

CROSSFIT - we need a BREEAK!

by Anonymousreply 80November 13, 2019 4:15 AM

Had another great workout, and I haven’t had a drink in a week. I didn’t realize how much better I would sleep. Feeling amazing! The experiment continues...

by Anonymousreply 81November 13, 2019 4:23 AM

Break it, make it, Bake it!

by Anonymousreply 82November 13, 2019 3:57 PM

wait until you get to a month and then decide to celebrate your new sobriety and get a horrific hangover and then shake your head and wonder, "How did this happen"

by Anonymousreply 83November 13, 2019 4:01 PM

[R83] What’s your point?

by Anonymousreply 84November 13, 2019 4:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!