Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think it's Time We Revisit "The Blind Side" (2009) 10 Years Later....

It has been 10 years since "The Blind Side" was released and earned $255 million at the Domestic Box Office, and earned Sandra Bullock her Best Actress Oscar (as well as a Best Picture nomination).

I know that it is popular to hate on this movie (it seems popular to hate on many films from that year, like Avatar) but I liked it a lot. It was very sweet, and heart warming, and when I found out that it is a true story, it made me have faith that there are good people out there still.

Sandra Bullock was lovely in this, and she looked amazing! I loved the story so much, even if it does not tell the story exactly as it happened. To see two white Southern Republican folk take in a black kid from the wrong side of the tracks is wonderful. The scene where they are watching Kathy Bates tutor Michael and cant believe they now have a black son and liberal Democrat in their house made me laugh.

I feel the film is underappreciated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2019 1:58 AM

This is one of my go to movies when I feel down. I like it a lot, it truly is a beautiful story, and I was not upset with Sandy winning the Oscar like some.

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2019 12:13 AM

Heartwarming entertainment for the masses is how you would describe a Hallmark movie. It does not have anything to do with whether it is an oscar caliber piece of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2019 12:16 AM

Julia Roberts was offered the role of Leigh Anne Tuohy before Sandra Bullock, who turned it down three times because of her concerns about playing the part of a devout Christian. During the first couple of weeks of shooting, Bullock thought her acting was so bad she considered dropping out. John Lee Hancock had worked so hard on the project she didn't want to ruin it. However, she didn't quit and ended up winning the Best Leading Actress Oscar for her performance.

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2019 12:17 AM

Many heartwarming films have won Oscars r2

by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2019 12:18 AM

It's with this movie that Sandra Bullock officially replaced Julia Roberts as "America's Sweetheart"--long after she became a star and about 10 years after Julia's popularity waned.

by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2019 12:29 AM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2019 12:33 AM

Julia also turned down The Proposal, that then went to Sandra.

by Anonymousreply 7November 10, 2019 1:15 AM

I'm not sure why anyone was surprised that Sandy won. She's a bankable star who seems genuinely well-liked in the industry and she turned in a good performance in a financially successful film. If they were going to give it to her for something, it might as well have been this.

by Anonymousreply 8November 10, 2019 1:59 AM

R8. Maybe because it was the worst of the five nominated performances.

by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2019 2:21 AM

Can we not? It was a sucky white savior movie that belonged on Lifetime then and it’s a sucky white savior movie that belongs on Lifetime now. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 10November 10, 2019 2:58 AM

Why can’t a white person ever do something beautiful for a black person without being knocked for it?

by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2019 3:03 AM

Ugh! This piece of crap "film" was not a true story. It was a beyond ridiculous completely made-up white savior fantasy that happened to have a vague connection to a real life person. I tried to like this POS but the scene where they tried to suggest a scrawny 50 year old white skeleton taught a 6'6' 300+ lb. black teenager how to play football well enough to win the state high school championship and then go on to college and the NFL in 15 seconds just by getting him to pretend he's protecting her and her retarded kid when he's on the field was so, so, SOOOOO nauseating I couldn't make it through. For fucks sake, they literally had the giant black kid so dazzled by a goddamn floating balloon that he couldn't even follow the snap. I mean, helium was supposedly so dazzling the guy couldn't take his eyes off of a freaking balloon. Jesus fucking christ!

I HATE this movie.

by Anonymousreply 12November 10, 2019 3:05 AM

thank god that tacky rich white woman took in that chubby black kid.

*eye roll*

by Anonymousreply 13November 10, 2019 3:06 AM

R10, You nailed it. I despise this movie and the scene where Miss Sandra threatens to shoot a black man made me want to throw something at the screen. Nauseating, mawkish, DISHONEST (according to the real life young man, Michael Oher) piece of white savior BULLSH*T.

by Anonymousreply 14November 10, 2019 3:23 AM

Oh, puke, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15November 10, 2019 3:34 AM

I love to hate watch this movie. It’s could have been made in the 1970s

The real life daughter of the Sandra Bullock character is an “influencer” on Instagram and is a spoiled princess

by Anonymousreply 16November 10, 2019 3:37 AM

They really did adopt Michael Oher. I don’t know why you all are upset.

He wasn’t illiterate though, and he was phenomenal at sports.

by Anonymousreply 17November 10, 2019 3:47 AM

Christ almighty look at that eye make-up!

(Although, maybe she is a closet drag queen fan?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 10, 2019 3:47 AM

I’m surprised that Tim McGraw hasn’t been in more movies since this one was such a big hit

by Anonymousreply 19November 10, 2019 3:51 AM

Bullock should be embarrassed for winning an Oscar for this celluloid batch of treacle. She was fine in the movie, but there was nothing remotely special about her performance

by Anonymousreply 20November 10, 2019 3:53 AM

Here's Collins Tuohy living life large. She is the patron saint of spoiled, white, upper middle class. infantilized women if there ever was one.

We're not upset, r17, we're just calling a spade, a spade. You type like a middle-aged white woman from the south.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 10, 2019 3:55 AM

I'm guessing the OP thinks that Paula Deen is "underappreciated". too.

by Anonymousreply 22November 10, 2019 3:58 AM

R21 upper middle class? They were rich.

by Anonymousreply 23November 10, 2019 4:01 AM

Upper middle class as far as being a member of certain circles in the South. They're wealthy enough to have friends from whom they can borrow their jet(s) or stay on their islands. They are not of the jet set themselves.

by Anonymousreply 24November 10, 2019 4:12 AM

It's a shame Jesse James had to ruin everything when Sandy won the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 25November 10, 2019 6:22 AM

Why on earth would anyone be named "Collins Tuohy"?

by Anonymousreply 26November 10, 2019 6:29 AM

I remember watching a YouTube clip where Paul Mooney ripped this to shreds. He obviously hated this Lifetime piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 27November 10, 2019 6:43 AM

Do we have a "I think it's time to revisit..." troll? There have been a lot of these post recently. I know because every time I read their titles I think, "No, it's not."

by Anonymousreply 28November 10, 2019 7:13 AM

Michael Oher did end up in an exclusive private school because of an AA janitor he was living with, when that man enrolled his own son. Michael was rejected because of his low grades, but by the time that was processed, it was too late for him to enroll elsewhere, so the private school accepted him.

Collins Tuohy brought Michael Oher home from school, as he was homeless. He didn’t stay there full time immediately, but stayed over time because, in his words, it was the only place he felt he was treated like a member of the family. Before that day, Sean Tuohy, who had noticed Michael in the gym, had notified the school to bill him for Michael’s lunch fees, to ensure Michael always had a meal at school.

The scene in the road at Thanksgiving happened, although Michael didn’t go home with the Tuohys that night.

Michael had struggled at school because he’d moved around so much. The Tuohys did hire a tutor, Miss Sue, to bring his grades up so Michael could play college football. Even with that, his high school GPA was too low to qualify for college, so they found an online course at Brigham Young over the summer to raise his average enough to qualify. Michael was on the dean’s list in college.

The coach IRL was not the goof he was in the movie, and Michael was not only a phenomenal football player, but also, overall, a phenomenal athlete. Collins Tuohy was as well, winning the state high jump championship.

The scene of the drug dealer suggesting he would sleep with Michael’s mother Leigh-Ann and sister Collins was based on a real life event, when one of Michael’s teammates said the same thing to Michael. Michael attacked the teammate and was charged, though I believe the charges were dropped. The drug dealer is an amalgam of several real life individuals.

The accident, with Michael stopping the airbag, occurred IRL.

The cousin calling about the “coloured boy” in the family Christmas photo did occur IRL.

By all accounts, Michael is unlike his movie character. He’s very extroverted and jokes a lot.

Michael hasn’t spoken much about the film, but Sean and Leigh-Ann Tuohy have said they believe God brought Michael to them.

by Anonymousreply 29November 10, 2019 7:41 AM

Almost every scene is intended to be a tearjerker. It's too damn much!

by Anonymousreply 30November 10, 2019 7:48 AM

One of the worst Oscar winning performances ever.

by Anonymousreply 31November 10, 2019 7:56 AM

Who were the other nominees that year? Was it the year of "Precious"?

by Anonymousreply 32November 10, 2019 8:03 AM

R32 Yes. As well as M., Carey Mulligan (who should have won) and someone else.

by Anonymousreply 33November 10, 2019 8:20 AM

We need a thread just to shade this Drag Queen robot.

Really... standing in the middle of the street for a fucking photo?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 10, 2019 9:45 AM

Yes, please, r34. Her Insta is a goldmine of narcissism and basic bitch, mug-cradling inanity.

by Anonymousreply 35November 10, 2019 4:34 PM

"Ahahahaha, I'm empty and base all my decisions on what gets the most likes!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 10, 2019 4:37 PM

So which is the more offensive trope - white savior or magical black person?

by Anonymousreply 37November 10, 2019 4:49 PM

This definitely felt like a "let's honor someone we like who gave a decent performance in a vaguely Oscar bait-y film" award rather than a genuine performance based Oscar (see also Julie Roberts in 'Erin Brockovich'). Also, Sandra had a very successful (comeback?) year in 2009 that also saw the release of 'The Proposal', which as far as rom-coms go is genuinely enjoyable and made beaucoup bucks at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 38November 10, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote]This definitely felt like a "let's honor someone we like who gave a decent performance in a vaguely Oscar bait-y film" award rather than a genuine performance based Oscar (see also Julie Roberts in 'Erin Brockovich')

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2019 4:57 PM

I think it’s time we forget this stupid movie.

by Anonymousreply 40November 10, 2019 5:07 PM

What a massive bouquet at R18. I wonder how pregnant the bride was.

by Anonymousreply 41November 10, 2019 5:17 PM

R38 yes. 2009 was a huge year for Sandra.

The Proposal made $163 million Domestically and then The Blind Side made $255 million. They were rewarding her after.

by Anonymousreply 42November 10, 2019 7:35 PM

Wow, I am shocked to see so much hate for this movie. Its a sweet movie

by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2019 3:01 AM

At its best it was garbage that belonged on the Hallmark channel and nowhere near the Academy Awards. At its worst it’s a racist movie for southern white moms who claim to be “down with the colored folks” because they let their football player sons date a black cheerleader, but cross the street whenever they see a “darkie” walking down the sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2019 5:53 AM

I remember a tense moment on "The View" around the time this piece of garbage was released. Vanessa Williams was guest hosting that day and she expressed some discomfort over yet another white savior script where the focus is on the white woman rather than the young Black man. The other View tenths more or less ganged up on poor Vanessa and argued that it was a great film about a loving, generous white woman who opens her home and heart to a poor Black kid (or some condescending bullshit like that).

And the fake blonde cunt they used to have on "The View" at the time shouted out, "And she's a Republican. She's a Republican" as though the character's political affiliation elevated the movie from the vile dreck that it was. Poor Vanessa just gave up and shrugged it off. The look on her face suggested that she was thinking, "No point arguing with Baba Wawa and her stable of ignorant, entitled white bitches".

by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2019 6:07 AM

*View yentas, not View tenths.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2019 6:09 AM

[Quote] Poor Vanessa just gave up and shrugged it off. The look on her face suggested that she was thinking, "No point arguing with Baba Wawa and her stable of ignorant, entitled white bitches".

I don't blame her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2019 10:32 AM

The annoying kid/son grew into this for what it's worth. He's 22. I think this just happens to be a flattering photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2019 2:59 PM

I thought there was a much more interesting film within the film - the whole investigation that takes place and was seemingly shrugged off. I really felt like the family used him and got why Vanessa Williams had issues with the film as r45 points out.

by Anonymousreply 49November 13, 2019 5:20 AM

That kid actor was fucking annoying and looked like he should of been an extra on The Hills Have Eyes

by Anonymousreply 50November 13, 2019 7:01 AM

The kid actor was actually cute on [italic]Friday Night Lights[/italic]. By the time he played in [italic]the Blind Side[/italic], he was a little old to make it work.

by Anonymousreply 51November 13, 2019 9:46 AM

Michael Oher disagrees with you, r49. He wrote about it in his book.

This discusses what’s accurate, and what’s exaggerated or inaccurate in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 13, 2019 9:55 AM

Wow Michael Oher forced to retire due to brain injury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 13, 2019 10:42 AM

NAH. I'm good.

by Anonymousreply 54November 13, 2019 11:06 AM

Great movie. It is feel good.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2019 1:10 AM

“Tuohy” is the sound people make when they spit.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2019 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!