Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help Me Buy Knock-Around Clothes

I want to buy new pants and I need help to be current, having just arisen from my crypt after a long slumber.

As for pants, I guess jeans are out. And pleats are out, I read here, right? So, corduroys or chinos? Color? Cuffed or no? Any other tips for an eldergay? Simple tips would help. I shop at stores like LL Bean and Lands End, not Barney’s and Newman-Marcus. TY.

by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2019 12:27 AM

Cuffs? Oh honey.... just, no.

Seriously: don't buy pants online, if you're concerned wanting to look current. You want something that fits, hence you need to try things on. If something fits well and looks okay in person, then buy it.

You might consider taking a (younger) friend along. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2019 7:02 PM

“As for pants, I guess jeans are out. “

Guess Jeans are skinny, ripped and faded. So yes, they’re out.

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2019 7:07 PM

I always thought a fat person shouldn’t wear “Guess?” jeans. Whenever I saw a fat person with that label on their jeans, I’d think, “hmm, 300?”. Something like that.

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2019 7:10 PM

Ok, cuffs are OUT! And pleats? I read that they are out, too? Yes? No?

R1, I should take you with me, you’re discerning.

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2019 7:12 PM

Any more ideas, please?

by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2019 12:19 AM

You can wear jeans, OP. How old are you? Can you afford to branch out from Land's End and LL Bean?

by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2019 12:37 AM

jeans are never out of fashion

by Anonymousreply 7November 10, 2019 12:40 AM

I don’t know... it seems jeans are really old man’s clothing. I want to try to keep up.

I can afford to branch out, but to where, what?

by Anonymousreply 8November 10, 2019 1:19 AM

I saw these this morning at the swap meet, OP. I don't need the slimming effect, but you might. Have you considered the swap meet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2019 1:27 AM

I like colored denim: tan, dark green, brown, etc.

For winter I pretty much stick to corduroy (with long johns underneath if I'm going to be in the weather for a prolonged length of time).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 10, 2019 1:35 AM

I noticed today that pants models have the best butts.

by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2019 2:00 AM

Jeans are not out of style, OP. IMO, stick with dark denim (blue), no holes.

by Anonymousreply 12November 10, 2019 2:01 AM

What about Nordstrom? They have personal shoppers, I think. Just tell them what you’re aiming for, how much you want to spend, and they’ll give you suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 13November 10, 2019 2:04 AM

Since it's end of the season, yo0u're sure to score some great deals on a kicky pair of capri pants!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 10, 2019 2:17 AM

Don't buy corduroy if your thighs rub together when you walk.

Swish, Swish, Swish, Swish

by Anonymousreply 15November 10, 2019 2:19 AM

What are knock-around clothes?

by Anonymousreply 16November 10, 2019 2:56 AM

[quote] What are knock-around clothes?

They're clothes you wear to a professional boxing match, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 17November 10, 2019 3:05 AM

Knock-around clothes are used to wear casually around the house, neighborhood, while running errands, and so forth.

I may try these, recommended by my nephew, at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 10, 2019 9:52 PM

When you just don't care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2019 3:00 AM

Find Best Unisex Clothes Of Your Kind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2019 11:11 AM

I wear these all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 11:17 AM

There's a piece of clothing that's most comfy to knock around in. Tee-hee.

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2019 11:27 AM

Try Uniqlo. The pants breathe, hold a crease and are great for travel. They also will hem them inside the store.

by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2019 11:39 AM

You can never go wrong with pantsuits - and they come in a rainbow of fun colors.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2019 12:53 PM

I've bought several pairs of pants from this site, sort of a combination jeans/chinos -- and they fit perfectly, although I had to return the first two pairs until I got the right fit -- have bought five pairs since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2019 1:46 PM

Marshall's, TJX, Sierra Trading Post (online) - all TJX companies.

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2019 2:29 PM

I hate buying casual pants most of all. I do not like my ankles exposed. I have wide hips and the fitted style that is in right now just looks weird on me. I look much better in loose fitting styles. Looser fit is not as trendy right now, so the pairs I find usually very basic looking.

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2019 2:31 PM

Thanks for all the tips, everybody.

My nephew suggested the link. He’s not a fashionesta, but he’s young, so knows something.

I don’t want to look age-inappropriate, but I do want to keep up. Plus, I’ve noticed lately that jeans make me look too thin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2019 11:39 PM

go to khols at like 8 am sunday morning. try on some pants and pick up a couple of on sale shirts.

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2019 12:52 AM

Uniqlo has everything you need, particularly in the pants arena.

They're classics that still look current: Jeans, chinos, cords, what have you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2019 1:08 AM

OP, you worry too much.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2019 1:24 AM

Banana Republic might be your friend here, OP. I find khakis, black t shirts, sweaters and the like there. And occasionally a decent quality shirt it on the sale rack.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2019 2:09 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat, OP. I have been wearing the same old clothes -- mostly Brooks Brothers and Polo - - for years, and just recently got tired of that shapeless baggy look. I'm in good shape and trim, so can get away with wearing trim-cut clothes, although I resisted it for a long time. There is a J Crew outlet near me, and I went there and got a few pairs of chinos and cords. Now that I know what size I am, I also bought some online. You can buy from J Crew's factory online. The quality is not top of the line, but their prices are low enough, and the clothes are good enough. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2019 2:16 AM

[quote]Plus, I’ve noticed lately that jeans make me look too thin.

Well, we can't have that, now can we?

by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2019 12:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!